IGNORED

Dillards 70: Their Behavior Is Always Pretty Weird

HerNameIsBuffy

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

We have one of these at work, and one of these at home.  The one at work is better because we also use theater style butter, oil and salt, we (I) make popcorn every Friday (because I'm the only one who doesn't burn it) and it is so good.  

I just ordered the one you use at home (thanks to Jilly muffin...I can't believe I copied something she did) it should be here in the next day or 2. I eat popcorn a couple times a week (my favorite snack) so I'm pretty excited about it!

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite Jill's latest offering of food, I'm hungry for popcorn.  I'm also looking up popcorn poppers. 

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face FJ. ?

18 minutes ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Sour cream AND cream cheese in potatoes? (fwiw I've never used cream cheese in potatoes in my life) How are the Dillards not morbidly obese if this is the way Jill cooks? jfc

I actually use cream cheese and sour cream in my mashed potatoes.  Both give the potatoes a flavor boost (I also add milk, chives, onion and garlic salt, not soup mix). It's not so much the ingredients, but the proportions...I use a lot less cream cheese/sour cream to make twice as much mashed potatoes.  

Her picture doesn't even look the recipe, I mean, who calls cold mashed potatoes 'potato salad'?

We have a popcorn maker thanks to my little sisters. One Christmas they just insisted to my dad that my mom desperately wanted a popcorn maker so he bought her one as my sisters' gift to her. She was pretty confused when she opened the gift as she didn't remember ever talking about a popcorn maker, but we've actually used that popcorn maker quite a lot!

1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

This happened to me as well (not sure if it is the same issue that you have.)  I love popcorn but don't think I can eat it anymore, either.  On three separate occasions over the space of six months, I ate a fairly large bowl and ended up with horrible gut pains---for days. At some points, it was so bad I was on the floor writhing in agony.  It took those three separate times until I realized the connection. :(  So, I don't know what the problem is, but I have decided popcorn is out!  This thread is making me so sad!  :popcorn:

You're making me a little worried...have you been checked for diverticulosis in your colon? Popcorn seeds can get caught in the little pockets (diverticuli) and cause inflammation and infection with serious pain. The little pockets can be seen during a colonoscopy. 

It can also happen with seeds and nuts, so please be careful what you eat!

2 hours ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

Yes! I’ve been known to forego dinner just so I can eat a large bag of movie theater popcorn by myself with no guilt.

I have absolutely done this. Multiple times. :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

This happened to me as well (not sure if it is the same issue that you have.)  I love popcorn but don't think I can eat it anymore, either.  On three separate occasions over the space of six months, I ate a fairly large bowl and ended up with horrible gut pains---for days. At some points, it was so bad I was on the floor writhing in agony.  It took those three separate times until I realized the connection. :(  So, I don't know what the problem is, but I have decided popcorn is out!  This thread is making me so sad!  :popcorn:

Honestly, it could just be that you're eating too much of it, and/or it could have something to do with whatever oil is on it. Even before I got sick, eating a ton of popcorn all at once would tend to gave me bad stomach pain, especially if it had a lot of oil on it.

I had colitis, which causes a lot more symptoms than stomach pain, so don't worry, you'd know if you had that. According to the doctor it was a fluke and I don't have it permanently, but I'm still not sure I 100% believe the (lack of) diagnosis, so I'm still holding out on the popcorn for now.

Popcorn has a ton of fibre, and it can be hard on the digestive system, so lots of people find it'll give them a sore stomach if they eat too much of it in one go. The fact that you had horrible pains for days would be a bit concerning, though - does any other food do that to you? If you're willing to risk it, you could try eating a small bowl, or a different brand, and see what happens!

This is my popcorn maker. I love It! Goes in the microwave, super simple to use, collapses small for easy storage. I do have to listen and pop for much shorter than the recommended time, but it's seriously great!!

29 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

You're making me a little worried...have you been checked for diverticulosis in your colon? Popcorn seeds can get caught in the little pockets (diverticuli) and cause inflammation and infection with serious pain. The little pockets can be seen during a colonoscopy. 

It can also happen with seeds and nuts, so please be careful what you eat!

5 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Honestly, it could just be that you're eating too much of it, and/or it could have something to do with whatever oil is on it. Even before I got sick, eating a ton of popcorn all at once would tend to gave me bad stomach pain, especially if it had a lot of oil on it.

Popcorn has a ton of fibre, and it can be hard on the digestive system, so lots of people find it'll give them a sore stomach if they eat too much of it in one go. The fact that you had horrible pains for days would be a bit concerning, though - does any other food do that to you? If you're willing to risk it, you could try eating a small bowl, or a different brand, and see what happens!

I don't think it was diverticulitis, as I didn't have any of the other symptoms (but I did look it up at the time, though!)   I may have just eaten too much---hard to believe that much pain from popcorn (and I went through an unmediated childbirth.)  But nothing else causes it & I'm fine if I don't eat it.  I may do a retry with a small bowl, but how to eat just a small bowl????? :)

Thanks, both of you, for the input.

2 hours ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

Yes! I’ve been known to forego dinner just so I can eat a large bag of movie theater popcorn by myself with no guilt. I also go back for the free refill offered at our local theater and take it home to snack on the day after a trip to the movies. :popcorn::popcorn2:

I've been known to eat popcorn with a side of sweet tarts for dinner.

1 minute ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I don't think it was diverticulitis, as I didn't have any of the other symptoms (but I did look it up at the time, though!)   I may have just eaten too much---hard to believe that much pain from popcorn (and I went through an unmediated childbirth.)  But nothing else causes it & I'm fine if I don't eat it.  I may do a retry with a small bowl, but how to eat just a small bowl????? :)

Thanks, both of you, for the input.

I have an ostomy bag and popcorn is one of the few no go foods that makes every list I have seen. Between the fiber and the shells it is very hard of the digestive system.

I'm finally catching up on everything from this past week: 

1) We go shopping on Black Friday afternoon/evening.  The initial craziness at the mall has mostly died down and you still get fairly good deals.

2) I grew up with a Whirley Pop popper at home because my mom loves popcorn.  She makes a giant batch once or twice a week.

3) Jill's latest recipe is a crime against potatoes and makes me very sad.

Mashed potatoes are the only form of potato I refuse to eat. I just hate everything about it, the texture, the appearance. My MIL puts cream cheese in hers (but not sour cream) and it’s even more disgusting then. I thank God for my lactose intolerance anytime I see them on her table during the holidays. 

2 hours ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Sour cream AND cream cheese in potatoes? (fwiw I've never used cream cheese in potatoes in my life) How are the Dillards not morbidly obese if this is the way Jill cooks? jfc

They might still have a youthful metabolism. I had mine until about 35.

6 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

When I watched those video clips, I felt some compassion for Jill.  I wanted to urge her to hurry up and put that damn video on, and once the kids were sitting entranced by the video - then make your popcorn Jill!  I get the feeling that Jill is on her own with the kids quite a bit, with Dwreck in law school and off "studying at the coffee shop" or wherever he goes to get away from the noise and business of a household with two young active boys.  He gets to get away from it all, but Jill does not except on their date nights (when yet again, Dwreck gets to enjoy quiet time with wifey away from the kids).  Is it sinking in yet that she may never have a full partner in the child rearing? 

Wouldn't it be nice to be part of a mom group, to meet up at the local park and watch the kids play and run around, while you get a chance to visit with other moms and share ideas, tips, or just vent a little bit?  Does she have any friends besides her sisters?  Does she hang out at her parents' place sometimes?  Or is that awkward now because of Dwreck's behavior? 

I really hope they don't have any more kids at least until Dwreck has completed law school and gotten gainful employment.  She looks like she has her hands full with her two busy boys.  (Not judging - I only had one active noisy boy and that was plenty for me! But I had family, a week-end retreat to the country whenever we wanted, friends with children of the same age as mine to get together for play dates, and a full time job outside the home that offered adult interaction.)

We’ve seen evidence of both her past involvement in groups at Church as well as her having friends outside her family. Examples from Instagram include:

- her involvement with C3 Campus Ministries while Derick did that certificate program.

- her involvement with a small group of moms over the summer.

- Rachel Tuuk is one of her friends who she met through her Midwife studies. Rachel was the student midwife present during Jill’s labor with Izzy and Jill was a Bridesmaid for Rachel in January of this year. Rachel lives in either Texas or SCA now, so distance is likely a factor in how often they do or don’t see each other. 

- Danielle Gonzalez is the other friend I know of. Jill is close enough to her to have been named Godmother of Danielle’s daughter, Aivah, and Jill has posted some photos showing Aivah over the years (most recently this past May for Aivah’s kindergarten graduation.)

6 hours ago, GutenbergGirl said:

My dad got a Playboy Bunny on his ass while in Vietnam.  

My stepmom swore it was actually Eeyore.  ?

My dad had a pot leaf on his back....always was told it was a maple leaf.....

My mom said that he eventually got it covered up with a wolf.

I find that cream cheese makes mashed potatoes too pasty. I’ve used both in mashed potatoes but never at the same time and certainly never as much as Jill uses. At least she’s not putting mayonnaise in it. My college boyfriend used mayonnaise in his mashed potatoes. I can’t stand mayonnaise; I hate it with a passion. Potato salad is just about the only type of potatoes I don’t like and it’s all because of that disgusting mayonnaise. 

3 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

I find that cream cheese makes mashed potatoes too pasty. I’ve used both in mashed potatoes but never at the same time and certainly never as much as Jill uses. At least she’s not putting mayonnaise in it. My college boyfriend used mayonnaise in his mashed potatoes. I can’t stand mayonnaise; I hate it with a passion. Potato salad is just about the only type of potatoes I don’t like and it’s all because of that disgusting mayonnaise. 

Have you tried it with ranch sauce? I make it with bacon, seeded mustard, eggs, that famous dude's, ranch (i am thinking Robert Redford but i am wrong), salt and pepper and its delicious. 

I can't stand potato salad with mayo, but I love it with Miracle Whip.

(And here we go again with the mayo/Miracle Whip discussion... lol)

30 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Have you tried it with ranch sauce? I make it with bacon, seeded mustard, eggs, that famous dude's, ranch (i am thinking Robert Redford but i am wrong), salt and pepper and its delicious. 

Paul Newman ranch dressing? That was divine when I used to eat it.

I have some siblings-in-law who are impossible to shop for and I scored air poppers for them in a cyber deal this morning. Thanks for the confirmation that this was a good buy. ? Now I want one for myself.

Yes, that's the one. Yummo and I think it did (or does) give all profits to charity. 

6 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

8 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

and dressing that's the word i was looking for. 

I was thinking dressing, but i also know it comes in a ranch salad dressing, that is oil based. That is not the one I mean. I mean just ranch dressing the "sauce"  type one.

I'd love to have a Whirly Pop or maybe a Stir Crazy.  The Stir Crazy is supposed to be good as a coffee roaster.  I gave my oldest daughter a Whirly Pop a few years ago for Christmas and they have them at the TCM Shop, but unfortunately my husband hates the smell of popcorn.  It's one of the reasons we rarely go to the movies. 

@AussieKrissy,  the profits from Paul Newman products still go to charity.

ETA: Just checked my bottle of PN Salad Dressing and it says right there on the label "100% of profits to charity".  

3 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

I've been known to eat popcorn with a side of sweet tarts for dinner.

I ate a bag of sweet tarts at the beauty shop on Saturday. Not ashamed at all.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived