IGNORED

Dillards 70: Their Behavior Is Always Pretty Weird

HerNameIsBuffy

Yep, salt and butter is the only way to go with popcorn for me. And usually I love sweet sugary treats, way more than is good for me, but still a no-go when it comes to popcorn.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love almost all kinds of popcorn, the only place I draw the line is cheesy popcorn, I don't like cheese so no cheese popcorn for me thank you.  Fresh Kettle corn is amazing, sweet and salty, yummy.  

Love our Whirly Pop. I had one in the house AND one in the camper!

I also have a microwave air popper. 

Love kettle corn, (sweet and salty) and love plain salted corn.

Did anyone else ever eat mashed potatoes with mayonnaise in them? My grandmother used to make mashed potatoes by the vat, and she'd throw in mayonnaise. NOT MIRACLE WHIP, mayonnaise. It gave the potatoes a bit more smoothness and a nice llittle tang.

1 hour ago, SweetJuly said:

However, I'm curious - where do you work that someone making popcorn at work is a common occurrence? It sounds like THE place to be!

I don't work there anymore, but it's a call center.  Back when I worked there, microwaved bags of popcorn was sold in one of their vending machines.

Just wanted to add that goodwill or other spots with gently used items can be great places for popcorn poppers. I found an air popper for ten bucks a few years ago, and it was an excellent buy. I regularly have teenagers over on the weekends, and they devour food. Letting them pop the corn and decide how to season it is a fantastic way to keep them occupied with some good clean(ish) fun, plus it’s a good cheap snack for their movie or YouTube watching. Highly recommend. 

I was studying in the library but after a quick look at this thread, I'm off to Sainsbury's to buy myself popcorn.

3 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

I don't know how Jill can put so much time into her blog and write so many recipe posts without thinking twice about the photos she's putting up of the food. It's all brownish gray under harsh fluorescent kitchen lights with unattractive backgrounds. Jill obviously doesn't have the Instagrammable kitchen a lot of recipe bloggers have, but she could still experiment with angles and lighting, choose foods with more fresh colors, and use a nice wood cutting board or something as a background for the dish instead of a dingy stovetop.

i think 90% of her food photos would be helped by just sprinkling a little parsley, dill, green onion etc.. just a little color would be immensely helpful.

I worked at an office once, and this one co-worker would seriously eat at least 2 bags a day. It smelled up the whole office, and her cubicle was always greasy and had little bits of popcorn everywhere. I didn't enjoy that at all. But I do love the taste of popcorn and will eat it every time we go to the movies. MrFluffer makes caramel corn every year and we hand it out as gifts to friends/family.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:47 PM, SorenaJ said:

Holy shit, at first I thought he was wanking (or wanking someone off) 

LOL. I almost choked on my coffee when I read your comment. ahahahah

Oy. my passport pic is okay. I had been fighting seasonal allergies, so I was holding back a sneeze and trying not to cry at the same time. I at one time had seasonal allergies that were so bad, I would stay home from school, and have to keep everything dark. Thankfully I grew out of that in my mid 20s....

14 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I feel like I need to call the police after seeing those potatoes. 

And that is why I get a point on the Duggar Competition for the 'next offensive post'

8 minutes ago, Bobology said:

And that is why I get a point on the Duggar Competition for the 'next offensive post'

@Iamtheway Are Jill's cold mashed potatoes offensive enough?

Anyone remember the book, Popcorn by Frank Asch? Sam has a party and all his friends bring popcorn and it fills the whole house. My kids used to love it.

I wonder if Jill would ever read a book like that to her kids. It's just for fun, and doesn't have Jesus.

So just for the people who are really interested in popcorn... Have you tried to create your own popcorn flavors? I know my Taste of Home cookbooks and the website have lots of different flavorings for popcorn. I usually try a new one each year when I put together the Super Bowl party, as well as caramel corn

17 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I don't think it was diverticulitis, as I didn't have any of the other symptoms (but I did look it up at the time, though!)   I may have just eaten too much---hard to believe that much pain from popcorn (and I went through an unmediated childbirth.)  But nothing else causes it & I'm fine if I don't eat it.  I may do a retry with a small bowl, but how to eat just a small bowl????? :)

Thanks, both of you, for the input.

I have been fighting diverticulitis problems for the last 6 weeks or so. I was on two rounds of antibiotics, was feeling great and ended up catching my son's GI bug. I'm finally feeling better. I love popcorn but I am so afraid to have any. 

5 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I used to work in an office that had a "no microwave popcorn" policy. 

If I worked there I would fight to get a bonus for whomever came up with that genius idea.

I haaaaaate the smell and it wafts through walls and lasts for ever.  Like a malevolent haunting.

On 11/26/2018 at 5:23 PM, justmissedquiver said:

Congrats on the new vehicle and good luck on your build!

p.s. I'm a philly native and spent tgiving in a germantown rowhome just as you described. I miss my hometown.

Hi, fellow Philly native! I had some high school classmates from Germantown, though I'm not. Does Germantown count as North or Northeast? I never can remember.

5 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

@Iamtheway Are Jill's cold mashed potatoes offensive enough?

I don’t know. The photo is horrible and the recipie looks bad but I feel it’s only really offensive to the potatoes in it. I might feel offended if she tried to force me to eat it though ...

I didn’t think through the fact that I would be the judge of the competition. Most of the things are easily decided but this one is harder. How many people need to feel offended for it to count? Do I need to feel offended because I started the competition? Can potatoes ever really be offensive? :confusion-questionmarks:

I actually thought about it when I saw your prediction @Bobology like ”oh no, does that count? Damn. it probably already happened.” :laughing-jumpingpurple:

On 11/26/2018 at 3:23 PM, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Her picture doesn't even look the recipe, I mean, who calls cold mashed potatoes 'potato salad'?

Women who are trying to get 3 meals a day on the table for 20 people, I guess. The J-Slaves and Joy were going full on from early childhood with an overwhelming amount of child care and housework. Remember how tired they used to look? It is surprising some of them (initials Jill and Jessa) know so little about housekeeping and cooking. My mother-in-law is a lousy cook too. I think that happens when you have to cook all the time but just really don’t care about it. I don’t think my MIL has ever cracked a cookbook in her life. Like Jill. 

So why is Jill trying to post recipes? Does she feel it is her duty as a woman? When will it stop? Can we try to just ignore it?  So many questions.

I don't really care for popcorn, though once or twice I year I think "Wow, popcorn sounds good" and then I remember that it's not my favorite. I also HATE the smell. There's only one movie theatre that I go to anymore, and while they have popcorn, no one orders it - they also have tables and a full menu, including a bar. 

And whomever said that the popcorn jelly bellies are their favorite? Maybe you should see a doctor ?. Gross. I've never known anyone who liked them. :)

9 minutes ago, Rio said:

I think that happens when you have to cook all the time but just really don’t care about it.

The thing is - no one has to cook "all the time." No one is requiring them to cook 3 meals a day. There's leftovers. There's meals made up of raw foods. There's shakes and smoothies and salads and quick prep foods out there. They need to feed the kids, but the kids can also eat leftovers, or cereal or raw fruits and veggies. 

Derrick isn't going to work in the coal mines, he's going to school to sit in a chair. He needs carbs for the brain power, but he doesn't need excess calories. The kids need calories. Jill, who knows what she's doing all day, but she also doesn't need to eat three huge complex meals every day. 

If she doesn't like cooking, why is she food blogging? 

6 minutes ago, Rio said:

So why is Jill trying to post recipes? Does she feel it is her duty as a woman? When will it stop? Can we try to just ignore it?  So many questions.

I think she's just trying to find a niche/interest for her blog.  She's clearly not good at the whole "life/mommy blogger" thing, and Jessa and to some extent Jinger have that covered.  She tried a few "life hacks" and "crunchy tips" for a while, but those were pretty dismal and it's clear she really doesn't have the critical thinking to be innovative herself, so that didn't go very far.  DIY projects she's never shown an interest in, but if there was a Duggar daughter to go into that niche, it'd be Joy.  Jessa's golden, Joy's the flipper, Jinger's the "trendy Duggar"...so who is Jill?  Now, she's the """"food"""" Duggar Daughter.  It's not a terrible idea, frankly.  One of the most interesting parts of the Duggar family has always been mealtime (we've had more cooking/food storylines than I can count), the family is known for their recipes (not always positively, but still), and it's an avenue none of her sisters have covered.  There actually are far fewer fundie recipe blogs than you would think there would be, and since Jill's no engaging writer, recipe posts that generally only need a few lines of commentary may be more her speed.

But Jill just CANNOT manage to present anything well on social media.  

And here’s my attempt to catch up again:

Popcorn - This is my crack cocaine. Stew Leonard’s makes some fresh every day and I have to buy a bag every time I go in. It is SO GOOD! And popcorn is a must for me when I watch movies. I really love salty popcorn, but I don’t mind Kettlecorn once in a while.

Jill’s blog - Her photos may need some improvement, but I see no reason to criticize otherwise. I’m guessing her target audience are those same hardcore leghumpers  who still adore her parents and I seriously doubt that she constantly feeds her family the super unhealthy stuff she shares. We’ve seen more than enough evidence via Instagram and the blog that she and her family eat healthier options, so I really don’t see any reason to worry about the boys’ health or snark on how she can’t cook. 

1 hour ago, Iamtheway said:

I don’t know. The photo is horrible and the recipie looks bad but I feel it’s only really offensive to the potatoes in it. I might feel offended if she tried to force me to eat it though ...

I didn’t think through the fact that I would be the judge of the competition. Most of the things are easily decided but this one is harder. How many people need to feel offended for it to count? Do I need to feel offended because I started the competition? Can potatoes ever really be offensive? :confusion-questionmarks:

I actually thought about it when I saw your prediction @Bobology like ”oh no, does that count? Damn. it probably already happened.” :laughing-jumpingpurple:

I assumed that it’d be the first post that is genuinely offensive - like when Derick has gone after Jazz Jennings, Jessa compared the Holocaust to abortion, or Jeremy signed that “social justice is totes not a thing librul snowflakes!” manifesto thing. 

On 11/26/2018 at 6:23 PM, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Her picture doesn't even look the recipe, I mean, who calls cold mashed potatoes 'potato salad'?

My favorite family potato salad recipe is a mashed potato salad. It has lots of wonderful colorful things added to it (fine chopped red onions, celery, and pickles and chunks of hard boiled eggs). It may not be what most people think of when they hear potato salad, but it is surprisingly good. 

I've come to post because I wanted to say that despite her horrendous attempts as a food/mommy blogger I do like the picture of her out to lunch with her buddy James. Thank god her buddy team had her as a mother.  She actually cares about them.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived