IGNORED

Dillards 70: Their Behavior Is Always Pretty Weird

HerNameIsBuffy

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I ate a bag of sweet tarts at the beauty shop on Saturday. Not ashamed at all.

Diabetic here, but I used to love Sweet Tarts!

8 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

Diabetic here, but I used to love Sweet Tarts!

Diabetic here too! I shouldn't have done it but damn it was good.

I love that the potatoes are not just regular mashed potatoes, they are Party Potatoes!  I know what I'm bringing to the next pot luck I go to! I didn't even know what was in the bowl till I went to their page, so I guess congrats on that one Jill you had me puzzled enough to give your page a hit. Also looked at the brisket receipe she linked to in her note before the receipe, which she suggests cooking the brisket overnight. Don't care how low the temp is I would not sleep well knowing the oven was on.

Popcorn - I like stovetop popcorn so I can control what goes into, the downside being I could eat I whole pot full at a time. I also love melting Junior Mints into the pot.

6 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

My dear mother would only use Orville Redenbacher's, she said it popped just about all of the kernels and did not have so many hulls left to get caught in your teeth and gums. She was a popcorn purist and made a big bowl on the stove top every night before dementia set in. Missing her this holiday season, she passed in February of this year.

I'm going to try this. I love mashed potatoes and I like to doctor them up sometimes. I have put leftover onion dip in mine before.

Sending gentle thoughts your way. I'm sorry you're having to face it without her this year.

Maybe she uses so much fat in her recipes to help Derick gain weight what with jaw surgery and all? You have to admit, Jill (unlike some) never starves her family.

7 minutes ago, Crazy Enough to Join said:

Maybe she uses so much fat in her recipes to help Derick gain weight what with jaw surgery and all? You have to admit, Jill (unlike some) never starves her family.

I've done that trying to put weight on my hub. Thing is, fat and his re-plumbed digestive system don't get along very well. I'm happy to say he's gotten chubby enough to put his insulin cannula in his abdomen instead of his butt. 

Seriously, does Jill look at her food photos before she puts them online? Has she ever googled tips for food photography? Has she ever experimented with light, colors and focus while taking photos? 
It's so weird. It looks like she makes an effort with her blog while she also doesn't give a fuck. 

Also, I now want to get some popcorn for second breakfast, but I'm pretty sure my co-worker wouldn't like the smell in workplace. 

9 hours ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

Yes! I’ve been known to forego dinner just so I can eat a large bag of movie theater popcorn by myself with no guilt. I also go back for the free refill offered at our local theater and take it home to snack on the day after a trip to the movies. :popcorn::popcorn2:

One of the movie theater chains near me offers a "popcorn pass" for the year for $25 and you can get a regular size popcorn once a day for free, or the huge one for $1.

Before buying it I asked if you actually can only do it if you're going to see a movie, and you don't, so especially during things like the Olympics I'd go over and get one almost every day and we'd eat it watching the Olympics at home. It's been a blast!

7 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

I've been known to eat popcorn with a side of sweet tarts for dinner.

I work at home and regularly have popcorn for breakfast or lunch. I stovepop. Yum! :popcorn2:

So do people prefer sweet or salty popcorn?

Before I moved to the UK, I had only ever had salty, because that was all you could get in Denmark, so when I moved to UK and wanted popcorn, I just randomly grabbed a bag of ready-made popcorn from the shop, figuring they would be salty. When I ate them, I spat them out, because I was not expecting sweet! I did not know popcorn could taste sweet. I ended up pouring a bunch of salt into the bag and shaking in the hope of masking the sweet taste. To this date, I still don't like sweet popcorn, I think they are awful. My brain expects salt, and when it gets sweet it's like "nope!". 

I hate sweet popcorn.

My boyfriend loves it which is a good thing because it is the only snack that he likes and I hate. I encourage him to buy it instead of chips because then I don't feel tempted to eat it all ? 

I really dislike popcorn (but enjoy the smell), but if I had to eat some, I'd go for sweet. So sweet that it masks the taste of popcorn as much as possible.

Hm, now that I think about it, this also describes my relationship with coffee: Not a fan (but enjoy the smell), and prefer coffee diluted with slightly more milk, sugar and vanilla syrup as socially acceptable.

I'm totally baffled by the love FJ has for popcorn ?

4 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

I work at home and regularly have popcorn for breakfast or lunch. I stovepop. Yum! :popcorn2:

I work at home full time and that is the only time I can eat my popcorn meals.  Can't have have my daughter see. ?

I don't know how Jill can put so much time into her blog and write so many recipe posts without thinking twice about the photos she's putting up of the food. It's all brownish gray under harsh fluorescent kitchen lights with unattractive backgrounds. Jill obviously doesn't have the Instagrammable kitchen a lot of recipe bloggers have, but she could still experiment with angles and lighting, choose foods with more fresh colors, and use a nice wood cutting board or something as a background for the dish instead of a dingy stovetop.

1 hour ago, SweetJuly said:

I really dislike popcorn (but enjoy the smell), but if I had to eat some, I'd go for sweet. So sweet that it masks the taste of popcorn as much as possible.

Have you ever smelled the odor of burnt popcorn?  Every couple of months at work someone would put in a bag of microwave popcorn and cook it for too long.  That stench really travels!

@SorenaJ I also only ever had salted popcorn until I moved to the UK. I remember that first trip to the cinema, and popping it into my mouth and thinking 'Yuck, what is this abomination to popcorn'. I was so disappointed. I love cinema popcorn and it is my favourite part of going to see a film. I was raging that I missed out on my proper popcorn treat. I kept asking my friend beside me if her popcorn was weird too, but she just shrugged and said it was like it always is.   Anyway, I never had more popcorn at the cinema again while I was living there.

I used to work in an office that had a "no microwave popcorn" policy. 

MrSlytherin cannot tolerate the smell of popcorn - whether it's actively popping, being eaten, or whatever. Even the smell of bags of SkinnyPop makes him gag. Going to movies is difficult, so we rarely go.

1 hour ago, Flossie said:

Have you ever smelled the odor of burnt popcorn?  Every couple of months at work someone would put in a bag of microwave popcorn and cook it for too long.  That stench really travels!

Eugh, I can imagine (though I don't want to).

However, I'm curious - where do you work that someone making popcorn at work is a common occurrence? It sounds like THE place to be!

My friend works in a state run office building and they have an all out ban on microwave popcorn, because not 1 but TWO idiots over the course of two weeks set microwaves on fire by setting the wrong time. She said it was pretty easy to set it for hours when you mean  minutes. And of course they always walk away and "forget" they are making popcorn because they can't stand in the break room for 2 - 3 minutes. 

5 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

So do people prefer sweet or salty popcorn?

I am not a fan of sweet American styles of popcorn.  The first time I tried kettle corn I nearly gagged.  It's literally just popcorn that tastes like salt and white sugar.  Or worse, that mess where caramel corn and delicious cheese popcorn are mixed together, so you get a cognitive dissonance popcorn that tastes vaguely like Brunost cheese.  There is a reason Brunost - caramelly cheese - has never caught on outside Norway.  

2 hours ago, Imaginary_Wonderland said:

@SorenaJ I also only ever had salted popcorn until I moved to the UK. I remember that first trip to the cinema, and popping it into my mouth and thinking 'Yuck, what is this abomination to popcorn'. I was so disappointed. I love cinema popcorn and it is my favourite part of going to see a film. I was raging that I missed out on my proper popcorn treat. I kept asking my friend beside me if her popcorn was weird too, but she just shrugged and said it was like it always is.   Anyway, I never had more popcorn at the cinema again while I was living there.

I had a similar experience in Malaysia when I went to the movies. Don’t understand sweet popcorn at all. I have had them with caramel and they’ve been ok but not a favourite at all. I want just salt on them or maybe a little butter. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived