IGNORED

Dillards 70: Their Behavior Is Always Pretty Weird

HerNameIsBuffy

I see ya'll's fish stories, and I'll raise you one co-worker who, a few weeks ago, got a coffee bean grinder that she keeps at her desk at work, and yep, GRINDS COFFEE BEANS AT HER DESK.  Not in the break room.  At her desk.  Sure, I like the smell of coffee, but we work in a quiet office, and this sucker is LOUD.  We all have cubicles, so we never know when it's going to happen either.  Shocker, I already don't like her for other reasons, so I rarely speak to her (although we sit near each other we actually don't work in the same department.) .  We have different bosses, so i've been waiting for someone else to say something.  Ugh.  

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Mother Dust said:

this sucker is LOUD. 

We used to grind beans at home. The cats NEVER EVER got used to that sound. So, in addition to the SUPER LOUD coffee grinder, there was the sound of cat claws scritching like mad, trying to get traction on the kitchen floor. lol

21 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

If I worked there I would fight to get a bonus for whomever came up with that genius idea.

I haaaaaate the smell and it wafts through walls and lasts for ever.  Like a malevolent haunting.

at my work, we have a no popcorn and no reheating of seafood olicy in the break room...

I do sometimes take tuna pasta in to work but a lot of other people do the same. We don't have a microwave in my current job but when I worked for KFC we did, I always made sure I cleaned it after I finished it and never microwaved anything that smelled or was problematic to others.

Jill and Jessa seem to still have a bond with their buddy group and have included them in things since getting married. I bet Izzy and Sam have fun with Uncle James, he was always one to mess around on the show.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

We used to grind beans at home. The cats NEVER EVER got used to that sound. So, in addition to the SUPER LOUD coffee grinder, there was the sound of cat claws scritching like mad, trying to get traction on the kitchen floor. lol

Some of my cats do that when I vacuum.They look wary when I open the closet where I keep the vacuum cleaner.One will watch me as I plug it in,then with his tail down begin to head for cover.Yesterday,when I vacuumed my bedroom, two cats ran out of my room.

13 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Maggie Mae, my husband makes salmon pretty frequently, but he does the initial cooking outside so I won't smell it.  I do mind, when he wants to re-heat a piece of salmon in the microwave and he doesn't cover it with a paper towel because it makes a mess.  I don't make popcorn and usually don't make curry when he's home as he hates the smells.

People who don't cover their food in the microwave should be issued a demerit or something! Especially if you don't wipe the microwave when you are done. 

3 hours ago, The Mother Dust said:

I see ya'll's fish stories, and I'll raise you one co-worker who, a few weeks ago, got a coffee bean grinder that she keeps at her desk at work, and yep, GRINDS COFFEE BEANS AT HER DESK.  Not in the break room.  At her desk.  Sure, I like the smell of coffee, but we work in a quiet office, and this sucker is LOUD.  We all have cubicles, so we never know when it's going to happen either.  Shocker, I already don't like her for other reasons, so I rarely speak to her (although we sit near each other we actually don't work in the same department.) .  We have different bosses, so i've been waiting for someone else to say something.  Ugh.  

It's like 15 - 30 seconds. I can see why it would be jarring, but it's not like it's a long sustained sound. Like the truck that is idling outside of my office right now, rattling the windows and being generally unpleasant for the past 17 minutes. 

11 hours ago, potato said:

Just earlier today someone in my office reheated shrimp in the microwave.  I love me some shrimp, but it did NOT smell good.

That's just a bad idea in general! You'll turn your shrimp all rubbery and gross. 

3 hours ago, cascarones said:

So my main pet peeve is when people throw away fragrant foodstuff in their personal trashcans

Most of us in this office have our own offices, so if they want to sit in a room with their rotting food, that's on them. I tend to take my stuff and put it in the covered can in the kitchen, though. What I hate though, is people who use MY trashcan for something they can't be bothered to carry back to their own office (like a yogurt lid or my least favorite thing ever, the lid to the ranch dressing they are dipping their carrot sticks in). I don't want to smell ranch at my desk (or ever), thank you very much. 

13 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

These kind of complaints around my office having no microwave at all policy. There's a microwave in the cafeteria that everyone is supposed to go downstairs to use that. It's terrible and really inconvenient and I wish people could just learn not to microwave fish.

We have a machine called a Hot Logic. You put your meal frozen or not in and it warms it up. No smells. 

3 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

We have a machine called a Hot Logic. You put your meal frozen or not in and it warms it up. No smells. 

I have a one-person desktop CrockPot on my desk right now, gently heating my black bean soup for lunch. Zero smell (it has a sealed lid). Best thing ever!

https://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-BK-SHP-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B00CEILWI0 

3 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I have a one-person desktop CrockPot on my desk right now, gently heating my black bean soup for lunch. Zero smell (it has a sealed lid). Best thing ever!

https://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-BK-SHP-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B00CEILWI0 

That is a great idea! I'm not sure if they would let us have those at our desks though. 

Here is the hot logic we have in our break room

https://myhotlogic.com/products-hl/hotlogic-8/

54 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

That's just a bad idea in general! You'll turn your shrimp all rubbery and gross. 

Trust me, this guy's full of bad ideas ?

I will cry and then gag if someone eats curry in the office. I'm super smell sensitive. The smell of curry just sets off my gag reflexes. I've brought salmon to the office before but I never reheat it cuz I like it cold in a salad. Cold salmon doesn't smell that strong.

This is the best popcorn...

melt a spoonful of ghee and a spoonful of coconut oil in a pot  (or all ghee)

add kernels and make sure there is enough oil to soak them

pop

salt to taste

no butter needed...soooo yummy

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

That hotlogic thing is amazing! I just sent the link to our office manager. lol

It is really neat. The only thing I wouldn't put in it is rice with any kind of sauce. I have brought frozen leftovers and in an hour the food is done. 

I stuffed myself silly with popcorn at the Alamo Drafthouse this weekend, but I just made myself a big bowl with the air popper because all the popcorn talk in this thread was too much to resist. ??

It’s kind of sad that the whole family looks so much more relaxed and happy with their brother/uncle then they do in photos with their husband/father.

On 11/26/2018 at 10:32 PM, bella8050 said:

I also love melting Junior Mints into the pot

I love Junior Mints, but then again dark chocolate is my thing. Dark chocolate Kit Kats and Milky Way bars are pretty good also.

12 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Also, for pleasant smells, I made brioche from scratch a couple weeks ago for an RPG potluck, and the entire Tube ride over to where the event was being held, I kept opening up my Tupperware containing the bread to just sniff it like I was a weird carb addict. IT SMELLED SO DAMN GOOD. 

I think you were lucky not to get robbed of that brioche :) - with the culprit claiming "Your Honor, it wasn't my fault.  I was overcome by the delicious scent that kept wafting my way!"

16 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

But I'm not going to make a policy making a cheap source of protein

Salmon? Cheap? Where do you buy yours? It's not even that cheap at Aldi. I love salmon, wish it was more affordable, even though I buy it anyway. So good for you.

Oh man. Bless popcorn. It's one of my favorite foods. I worked in a movie theater for five years and ate it daily (sometimes overate it) and I'm still not even slightly tired of it.

I make it stovetop these days. Favorite things to put in besides salt and butter: chopped raw garlic (the hot oil cooks it so nicely), and different curry powder/mixes. It gives popcorn that scary fake butter look but with a more interesting taste.

My old office didn't have any microwave rules. I had one coworker who regularly microwaved canned tuna but couldn't stand the smell of sushi so we could never order it. To be fair, her issue was ginger, but it's still surprising for me. I also live in a seafood-heavy (and pescatarian-heavy) culture, so banning heated fish out right does seem a bit extreme to me. I get it though- it can be a strong smell. 

I love that Hot Logic idea!

6 hours ago, The Mother Dust said:

It's been many years, but I once worked in a cubicle, and the woman in the next cubicle first put up several big posters (I think all three were of big cats, like a leopard, bengal tiger, etc.).  I though, Hey, I totally get wanting to personalize your work space.  Then she brought in two huge potted plants, and one of them hung over into my cubicle until I asked her to please move it a bit.  It was beginning to look like a jungle in that cubicle.  But what I could not sit quietly for was when she brought in some atomizer or air freshener thing that sprayed a very strong perfumey smell every 20 minutes or so.  Enough already!  Had to complain to my supervisor, who took it up with her supervisor, and she removed the air freshener and I think got the message that she'd personalized her space quite enough.

Same workplace had a shared kitchen including microwave.  (It was a local legal division of a large corporation, so we had attorneys, support staff, IT people)  Of all the gall, the attorneys and IT people seemed to think that the support staff should wash their damn dishes.  They'd leave their dirty dishes in the sink.  We finally just stopped washing anything and let them grow into a huge pile and left a note "Do you own damn dishes!  We are not your mother."  LOL - that got the dishes done by someone.

We also had to have discussions over the use and cleaning of the microwave.  Popcorn did get banned after one too many burnt episodes.  Don't remember fish being an issue, but again, had to train some people in the importance of cleaning up after themselves.  It was a repeat of the dirty dishes in the sink, except one of my co-workers had some yellow caution tape and we taped it over the microwave and called it a crime scene.  

Popcorn is my favorite snack! My friend and I often refer to ourselves as popcorn ho's. HAHA. I love to make it the old fashioned way on the stove top, but I generally use my air popper. I think it's so odd that people here on FJ have never heard of an air popper. We had one my whole childhood - that's how we made popcorn growing up.

Personally, I do not care for microwave popcorn at all. It doesn't taste right. I like salt and butter and I'd rather add those on myself. Same with theater popcorn: it's ok, but it always hurts my stomach with that fake butter flavored oil. Plus it always tastes stale to me. Ugh, now I'm craving popcorn. I am living the low carb/low sugar life and popcorn doesn't fit in so well. I still enjoy it now and again anyway!

1 minute ago, SilverBeach said:

Salmon? Cheap? Where do you buy yours? It's not even that cheap at Aldi. I love salmon, wish it was more affordable, even though I buy it anyway. So good for you.

It's basically free for us in Alaska. We have so much, people clean out their freezers and donate it to the wild bird rescue, to neighbors, to the animal shelter. A sport fishing license is something like $30 for a year, but I don't fish, people just give me their extra. Some people spend a lot of money to buy a plane so they can go to remote streams, but other people (like our friends) will just drive a few hours after work, fish, drive home, sleep, work, repeat during the summer. There are other types of fish that have no limit, as well. 

I give friends things from our garden in exchange for fish. When I first moved here, people just gave me frozen fish that they would have tossed or donated, for no reason other than being nice.  I know I'm not the only person in my city who is blessed with free fish. 

One of our biggest fisheries expected around 1 million fish last year and only 28 were caught, so one of my friends caught nothing. Climate change is real. Overall, fish caught was down 13% last year, and I don't see that changing, nor do I see the clusterfuck of our new state administration fixing the imbalance between commercial, sport, and subsistence fishing. (Or preventing mines from destroying ancient salmon streams.) 

Our other friends take their kids and fish for a different type of salmon, and they brought us buckets of silvers. People fish whenever it's open, they fill their freezers, and then have fresh fish for most of the year. Each fish can make two large fillets that can make 2-4 portions of fish.  They bring their kids and fish for the ones that are too small, and then the entire family works hard to clean and package the fish. 

Buying fresh caught fish at the supermarket isn't cheap, but it's not too much more than steak during July/August. 

36 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I love Junior Mints, but then again dark chocolate is my thing. Dark chocolate Kit Kats and Milky Way bars are pretty good also.

I love dark chocolate too.

20 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

It's been many years, but I once worked in a cubicle, and the woman in the next cubicle first put up several big posters (I think all three were of big cats, like a leopard, bengal tiger, etc.).  I though, Hey, I totally get wanting to personalize your work space.  Then she brought in two huge potted plants, and one of them hung over into my cubicle until I asked her to please move it a bit.  It was beginning to look like a jungle in that cubicle.  But what I could not sit quietly for was when she brought in some atomizer or air freshener thing that sprayed a very strong perfumey smell every 20 minutes or so.  Enough already!  Had to complain to my supervisor, who took it up with her supervisor, and she removed the air freshener and I think got the message that she'd personalized her space quite enough.

I'll trade you a burping co-worker who's burps waft over the very low partition between our desks. And we only sit about 4 feet away from each other, facing each other....... He also chews gum loudly with his mouth open almost all day and blows and pops bubbles. Add in some sparkling water and no wonder the guy is burping. 

6 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

It's basically free for us in Alaska. We have so much, people clean out their freezers and donate it to the wild bird rescue, to neighbors, to the animal shelter. A sport fishing license is something like $30 for a year, but I don't fish, people just give me their extra. Some people spend a lot of money to buy a plane so they can go to remote streams, but other people (like our friends) will just drive a few hours after work, fish, drive home, sleep, work, repeat during the summer. There are other types of fish that have no limit, as well. 

I give friends things from our garden in exchange for fish. When I first moved here, people just gave me frozen fish that they would have tossed or donated, for no reason other than being nice.  I know I'm not the only person in my city who is blessed with free fish. 

One of our biggest fisheries expected around 1 million fish last year and only 28 were caught, so one of my friends caught nothing. Climate change is real. Overall, fish caught was down 13% last year, and I don't see that changing, nor do I see the clusterfuck of our new state administration fixing the imbalance between commercial, sport, and subsistence fishing. (Or preventing mines from destroying ancient salmon streams.) 

Our other friends take their kids and fish for a different type of salmon, and they brought us buckets of silvers. People fish whenever it's open, they fill their freezers, and then have fresh fish for most of the year. Each fish can make two large fillets that can make 2-4 portions of fish.  They bring their kids and fish for the ones that are too small, and then the entire family works hard to clean and package the fish. 

Buying fresh caught fish at the supermarket isn't cheap, but it's not too much more than steak during July/August. 

Oh how I wish..... 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived