IGNORED

Dillards 70: Their Behavior Is Always Pretty Weird

HerNameIsBuffy

3 hours ago, BernRul said:

I agree with the Black Friday hate, for a lot of the same reasons that everyone already said. I'm against the way the employees are treated, and that a lot of them don't have a choice about working on a holiday. I saw commercials where sales started at 5 o'clock on Thanksgiving. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth that people are not able to celebrate a holiday about spending time with loved ones and feeling thankful for one's blessings (something that money cannot buy) so Americans can worship materialism. I'm not knocking anyone who takes part--I get the desire to save money, especailly since holiday gift buying can get expensive--but I personally won't support it.  

Fundies always talk about a war on Christmas, but if anything it's a war on Thanksgiving. Between Black Friday, and the Christmas season seeming to start earlier and earlier each year, poor Thanksgiving gets forgotten. Sometimes I feel like the only one who still really loves Thanksgiving for its own sake. 

I've read some studies that show that buying material things doesn't bring long term happiness. Spending money on material goods doesn't really make us feel fullfilled or happy, but Americans seem to think that it does. What actually brings those feelings is spending money on experiences, like your family does. 

Here's a song that I love about the takeover of Thanksgiving:

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jill (and many, many others) absolutely should wear sunscreen everyday for skin cancer prevention. It’s absolutely ridiculous to suggest that she (or any woman) should regulate how she naturally uses her face to express thoughts and emotions for the sole purpose of preventing wrinkles. 

31 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

Jill has to start wearing sunblock everyday, even in the winter, and try to not raise her eyebrows all the time because she’s starting to get static lines on her forehead and she is too young. I don’t think she’s even 27 yet.

This does sound like a really unfair thing to criticize. She "has to" try to not make facial expressions because you think she's aging poorly?

To make pecans even more controversial (pee-can or pee-cahn), we now need to worry about whether or not we have them right side up!  Very stressful for a nut!

!!!!

4 hours ago, BernRul said:

I've read some studies that show that buying material things doesn't bring long term happiness. Spending money on material goods doesn't really make us feel fullfilled or happy, but Americans seem to think that it does. What actually brings those feelings is spending money on experiences, like your family does. 

That may be generally true, but my new bed...that's life changing. A solid night of sleep every night, on a mattress I like, that fits all of us, that's not 17 years old. Amazing. Best purchase of my life! (Besides possibly my car and food)

30 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

This does sound like a really unfair thing to criticize. She "has to" try to not make facial expressions because you think she's aging poorly?

Don’t put words in my mouth. I never said she was aging poorly. I gave my opinion. Jill, like myself, is very expressive. I wish someone gave me advice so I wouldn’t be in a similar situation right now. 

I think it’s pretty unfair to criticize Jill for what she cooks. I don’t see anything wrong with what she cooks for her family. She isn’t buying food from Whole Foods but at least her family has something to eat. There are preservatives in canned food but it’s not going to kill anyone.

8 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

Don’t put words in my mouth. I never said she was aging poorly.

You're right, I was paraphrasing and that's not precisely what you said, you said "she’s starting to get static lines on her forehead and she is too young." :roll:

I just think it's really nasty to be that critical about how she looks and say that she "has to" (something you did say exactly, hence the quotes) regulate the way she expresses herself because of something that is purely cosmetic. I hope she doesn't see this, and I hope no one feels like they need to tell me to change the way I move my face if they think I'm starting to get wrinkles.

This kind of stuff makes me really depressed about the prospect of aging as a woman.

2 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

This kind of stuff makes me really depressed about the prospect of aging as a woman.

I hear more nastiness of women holding other women to perfect standards and criticizing the smallest and most irrelevant things here on FJ (particularly in the Duggar forums) and frankly I have to fight not to assume everyone in life is doing the same, just not saying it because they don't have the anonymity.

It saddens me when women are so deeply committed to tearing down other women based on their looks.

5 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

BOTOX BABY!!!! Just a wee bit in the forehead.  ( Don’t judge please.)

Aging happens. No amount of sunscreen or not raising your eyebrows is going to stop you from getting lines on your face. I don't care what you slather yourself with or how placid you force your expression to be, you are going to age. Jill looks older now than she did at 20. Because of course she does. Because that's normal. She doesn't need to do anything at all to 'fix' that because there is nothing wrong with looking older. Also, people age differently, and different people will show different signs of aging beginning at different ages, and that is also totally normal and not something that needs to be 'fixed'.

5 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

No judgement whatsoever!

What depresses me though is the fact that women are judged for a natural process, and minimizing the effects of aging does nothing to change the fact that women are judged for aging in the first place.

5 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

What the heck is going on?  Jill posted a pie recipe and the photo does NOT look like a pile of shit!  In fact, it looks like a pecan pie normally looks... even actually appetizing?  None of the words are incorrectly spelled... even the somewhat challenging "coarsely."  

She did separate posts on pecan and pumpkin pies and pie crust, and the pie crust one has “flaky” spelled “flakey” in the title.

I’m probably projecting my own insecurity on the topic. Jill can do whatever she wants and it’s what inside that matters. 

I’ve received comments from people on the faces I’ve been making just a week ago and I’ve been watching myself more because of what someone said to me.

I hold tension in my face and can’t stop furrowing my brows and I’ve been told they are remaining longer on my face now and it hurt me a lot and hurt even more to realize that what the person said is true. 

I wish women didn’t feel pressure to get botox.

@Don'tlikekoolaid feel free to PM me but may I ask how often you have to get it? I can’t afford getting it more than twice a year but I know that it only lasts 2-3 mo. in the beginning. I’m only looking to break my furrowing habit since nothing has been helping much and I’m desperate to stop it. I get very bad migraines because of it.

4 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I’m probably projecting my own insecurity on the topic. Jill can do whatever she wants and it’s what inside that matters. 

I’ve received comments from people on the faces I’ve been making just a week ago and I’ve been watching myself more because of what someone said to me.

I hold tension in my face and can’t stop furrowing my brows and I’ve been told they are remaining longer on my face now and it hurt me a lot and hurt even more to realize that what the person said is true. 

I wish women didn’t feel pressure to get botox.

I'm really sorry people have been making you feel insecure about that.

10 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I'm really sorry people have been making you feel insecure about that.

Thanks. I’m sorry to have even pointed it out. What you said is true— we shouldn’t be judged for it when men aren’t. It hurts even more that it’s my husband that made the comment and that my friend did “the pile on” about it.

I am 26, as well.

29 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

I don't judge, I'm jealous!  I wanna get botox so bad because I'm starting to get some lines on my forehead - I'm in my thirties, so it's only natural - but I'm scared of the needle, don't wanna look like Madame from the Muppets and wouldn't know where to find a reputable doctor.  For example, in the Surrey sister office to mine, the women go en masse every few months to a nurse who works at the Walmart for discount botox - that seems pretty sketchy, IMO.  

I'm one of those who doesn't care about "aging". This body and this mind have been through some shit. If it shows, it shows. It also shows that I survived, wrinkles, crinkles, creases and all. I have scars on my face, scars on my abdomen, scars on my leg. Each one tells a story. My nose hooks to the left and occasionally my right eye tries to get intimate with my nose. 

I'm short, chubby and not terribly attractive. Stress just brings out the eczema on my face and sometimes I look pretty gnarly. It's the way I am. I'm 54 and will never look like I'm still in my 30's. My only crowning glory is I can grow some hair...

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

I'm one of those who doesn't care about "aging". This body and this mind have been through some shit. If it shows, it shows. It also shows that I survived, wrinkles, crinkles, creases and all. I have scars on my face, scars on my abdomen, scars on my leg. Each one tells a story. My nose hooks to the left and occasionally my right eye tries to get intimate with my nose. 

I'm short, chubby and not terribly attractive. Stress just brings out the eczema on my face and sometimes I look pretty gnarly. It's the way I am. I'm 54 and will never look like I'm still in my 30's. My only crowning glory is I can grow some hair...

I love this comment. 

One reason I am not on Instagram is because of my insecurity. There are so many make up youtubers on Instagram getting plastic surgery for no reason. Studies have shown there is a trend of millennials getting cosmetic procedures.

I wish millennials would be the generation that says NO to the extra costs that women are harassed, guilted, and made fun of to spend money on. The more insecure we are, the more we pay attention to things that don’t need to be fixed and the more other people are affected by it. 

25 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

One reason I am not on Instagram is because of my insecurity.

I'm on Instagram - but there are NO photos of me on my account, just my cats, cars, vacation pics, sunsets, trees, whatever I see that I like.

And I'm 52, have wrinkles, could stand to lose a few pounds, have greys (that I color, yes)  and -- most recently -- a sagging neck/chin. Oh well. My body is covered with scars (16 surgeries and counting - wait - could that be a TLC reality show for me? lol), and I have the ultimate resting bitch face.

Here we go...

Black Friday: I’ve never participated in person as I really don’t like crowds. I don’t have a phobia of crowds or anything, but I’ve gotten flares of anxiety before and it’s more likely to happen now that I have a young child. I do any shopping I may have online for Black Friday, if I do any shopping at all. This year I ordered a personalized calendar for my younger BIL (I got him for Secret Santa and he loves animals, so he’s getting a calendar featuring his human and furry nieces and nephew) and that was it. 

Aging: We lost my Aunt when she was only 32 to suicide. Dealing with the impact of her death the last 25 years, along with having a young daughter of my own who deserves a healthy example, has really made me realize that aging just isn’t that big a deal to me. I’m only 30 and my view my change as I grow older, but I’m more content with myself as I am now then I ever was in my teens or 20s. 

Botox: You do you, just be sure it’s the right choice for you and that you’re working with good medical professionals. 

And @luv2laugh: I’m really sorry that people you care about made you feel badly about yourself. :5624797ec149a_hug1:

50 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you're a beautiful person.

3 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you're a beautiful person.

:tw_blush: thank you. 

See? I'm learning to take compliments. 

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

My only crowning glory is I can grow some hair...

Me too and it is gray. The horror! I don't color it. Whatever, I'm with you about the aging process bring it on. I've been through things (life) and the scars and wrinkles are badges of honor because I am still here to have them.

57 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

and I have the ultimate resting bitch face

I might give you a run for you money on this one.  :pb_lol: Although sometimes I just look tired.  

For a great self-esteem moment try this one. First class of the day, student tells me I look tired...what are you going to do? I just laughed and said I was.

Finally, I can't upvote the following enough. The pressure and judging is out of control and someone is getting rich off of it.

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

What depresses me though is the fact that women are judged for a natural process, and minimizing the effects of aging does nothing to change the fact that women are judged for aging in the first place.

7 hours ago, BernRul said:

Fundies always talk about a war on Christmas, but if anything it's a war on Thanksgiving. Between Black Friday, and the Christmas season seeming to start earlier and earlier each year, poor Thanksgiving gets forgotten. Sometimes I feel like the only one who still really loves Thanksgiving for its own sake.

Add me to team Thanksgiving as well. It's my favorite holiday! I've cooked the big meal for family, cooked for friends, and had what I want for a quiet Thanksgiving by myself (My birthday has a 1 in 7 chance of falling on Thanksgiving, so I've had birthday/Thanksgiving lasagna and fondue before, instead of turkey or ham). When I had a television, I enjoyed watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and I also enjoyed watching football. I love Thanksgiving as a day to be grateful for what you have (even during the really lean years), instead of a holiday that rushes you to buy a lot and do a lot.

@acheronbeach,  Madame was not  Muppet although she was the same style of puppet.  She was done by Wayland Flowers, may they rest in peace.  Madame may have been an old broad, but she was a fabulous old broad.  (I should be so lucky!)  This is Madame with a pre-Golden Girls Bea Arthur.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived