IGNORED

Dillards 70: Their Behavior Is Always Pretty Weird

HerNameIsBuffy

35 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Congratulations Derick, you didn't buy a tv. That makes you just as smart as the other millions of people who didn't buy a tv that they didn't need. Contrary to your own stupid opinion, most people are not running out to buy tvs that they don't need. There are quite a few people who don't buy anything Black Friday, it does not make you special.

I am 60 and have never purchased anything on BF.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I purchased batteries for my car clicker. Walking into the store was scary though. I forgot about BF, and couldn’t figure out what the actual eff was going on.

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

An immediate-family Thanksgiving at my house would be barefoot

I cooked, ate, and cleaned up barefoot in my jammies... I love being with my extended family, but it was such a relaxed, nonstressfull day with just my son and my mom, who lives with us. No  rushing to get everything done by a certain time, or spending the day driving, or whatever. It was great.

I went shopping on Black Friday. I got tires for my car so I could actually drive it again. Also some new pajamas, and a winter coat since the zipper on mine broke last winter. And a really good deal on some canvases and a skein of yarn at Michaels, which I will use to make Christmas gifts  

I try not to buy stuff I don't need, but when my car is sitting on a donut and the tires are heavily discounted? I'm on it. 

3 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

It looks like the kind of range found in a rental, but why would it be the Cross Church Duplex? The address I have for them is 20 minutes from Cross Church. It does look like a duplex, though. 

It's been posited (and possibly proven) that Cross Church purchased a former retirement community for its "ministry" students, and that's where the Dillards moved during his "ministry school" days. I have no idea why the Dillards are still allowed to live there, though.

3 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

So he was jerking I mean holding that turkey leg in their church?

No, not in their church, in their church-owned duplex.

3 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I went shopping on Black Friday.

So did I. I sat in my dad's recliner in his living room and bought everything I wanted/needed using my phone. It will all be delivered next week.

Lest you think I'm overpurchasing, I bought three pairs of leggings pants from Uniqlo (two for my daughter, one for me), a camera for GryffindorDisappointment that was a BF special, and a set of camera filters from Amazon for DH. Free shipping, no crowds, in my jammies...

1 minute ago, Alisamer said:

I went shopping on Black Friday. I got tires for my car so I could actually drive it again. Also some new pajamas, and a winter coat since the zipper on mine broke last winter. And a really good deal on some canvases and a skein of yarn at Michaels, which I will use to make Christmas gifts  

I try not to buy stuff I don't need, but when my car is sitting on a donut and the tires are heavily discounted? I'm on it. 

We were sitting around looking at the Black Friday ads and someone said: "Who's buying tires on Black Friday?" Answer: @Alisamer

Seriously, though. I understand neither the BF hype, nor the hate. It's a day off. Of course many people are going to use it to shop for things they either need or want. I never get up at 3 am and stand in line, but we did make a very necessary and expensive home purchase because we had time to sit around for the installation. 

4 hours ago, Kailash said:

I don’t understand the reference. Care to educate me? ?

just reminded me of the trope of Henry manhandling a turkey leg.

tumblr_nlhf66vNNg1qzstw9o2_540.jpg

tudor-single-ns-742149.jpg

44 minutes ago, Evangeline said:

Seriously, though. I understand neither the BF hype, nor the hate. It's a day off. 

For you, but it's not a day off for the workers who have to work it. It's becoming increasingly common that they even have to come in on Thanksgiving because Black Friday starts so early now. They're treated terribly, and since Black Friday is one of the worst days of the year for them a lot of people don't want to support that by shopping on Black Friday.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/23/black-friday-retail-workers-face-long-hours-poor-pay-and-anxiety-through-the-roof

I'm not saying you're a terrible person if you shop on Black Friday (I'm sure none of us have completely ethical shopping habits), but I think it's easy to understand why others feel they shouldn't.

I didn't shop on black Friday...because I'm broke. If I had money, I would have purchased a few things for an early Christmas. 

53 minutes ago, Evangeline said:

Seriously, though. I understand neither the BF hype, nor the hate. It's a day off.

For you. For me. Not for me when I was working retail. It was a mandatory day "on." Which meant I didn't get to spend time with my family, who often traveled during the long weekend. 

53 minutes ago, Evangeline said:

Of course many people are going to use it to shop for things they either need or want. 

Americans buy too much overall, and it's completely ridiculous how much people waste. All of those electronics? They contain minerals, which are mined. Some of the mines are located next to pristine streams, where fishing occurs. The run off from the mines kills the fish and thus a food source for people. Lithium batteries require tons of water to be mined, and it scars the landscape of developing countries and pollutes water. 

There is more to life that shopping! I don't like Black Friday, at all, but it comes down to the whole "why do I need to have something new when what I have works just fine?" Oh, right, because people make fun of people who use older stoves, have older furniture, have a TV that's more than 2 years old, or a car that's deemed "less safe" when it's not jammed full of electronics. 

Working in retail for 6 years has pretty much killed the joy of shopping for me, at least the brick and mortar way.  I did go out yesterday and bought feed for my molting and thus non-laying hens.

38 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

For you, but it's not a day off for the workers who have to work it. It's becoming increasingly common that they even have to come in on Thanksgiving because Black Friday starts so early now. They're treated terribly, and since Black Friday is one of the worst days of the year for them a lot of people don't want to support that by shopping on Black Friday.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/23/black-friday-retail-workers-face-long-hours-poor-pay-and-anxiety-through-the-roof

Oh, if only.... I've worked many more Black Fridays than I've been off. I happened to have it off this year (unpaid) but that's not ever been something I can count on in my industry. So, I really wasn't talking about me. My point was that people are going to use whatever time they have to get errands done. In the US, that's not much for most people and many of us don't have a lot of choices as to when that occurs.  I'm aware of how badly workers are treated in the US and I'm all in favor of increasing worker protections across the board. Focusing on one day as the issue seems silly to me, though. If workers had the protections I think they should have, it wouldn't change the fact that many industries have busy and shitty times of year. I mean, I just got off a two-month period of required overtime, nights, and weekends, and it sucked. But I'd really rather have guaranteed sick time, maternity leave, and paid vacations than guarantee I'm never going to have shitty periods at work. All of us should have that. 

I don't get the Black Friday hate either. Sure, Thursday night, that's a holiday. Friday's not a holiday, and I've never seen anyone say anything negative about the gas station people, everybody working at the airports, restaurants that serve thanksgiving meals, or even the grocery stores you run to when you realize you're out of whipped cream or whatever. I know a lot of people go to movies on Christmas Day, and there's not a big uproar. 

Yes, it's not fun for retail workers. I've been there. I know it's heavily commercialized and all about spending money. But retail workers deserve better all year, so I don't get the self-righteousness some people (not here, but in general) have about avoiding Black friday.  I wish I could afford to avoid it, but I've been driving a borrowed car for two months in hopes of being able to afford tires due to the sales. 

I spent a ton of money on Black Friday this year - much needed phone upgrade, plus I did all my Christmas shopping. It was great! Totally different in Canada though, because it doesn’t overlap with a holiday, it’s just a random retail day. 

I love Cyber Monday. No traffic, no crowds.

I’m scratching my head on Jill’s « Movie Time with Momma. » what is her purpose of posting those videos? Was she trying to guilt Derick into coming home early from the coffee shop and stop studying,?  I felt very sad for Jill. She seems very lonely. 

Yeah, the old "studying at a coffee shop" story... I could tell you allllll about that, but I won't.

lol

Twitter updated their TOU to protect trans people from malicious mislabeling so I hope all of Wreck's old posts get some hefty reports.

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

It's been posited (and possibly proven) that Cross Church purchased a former retirement community for its "ministry" students, and that's where the Dillards moved during his "ministry school" days. I have no idea why the Dillards are still allowed to live there, though.

No, not in their church, in their church-owned duplex.

So did I. I sat in my dad's recliner in his living room and bought everything I wanted/needed using my phone. It will all be delivered next week.

Lest you think I'm overpurchasing, I bought three pairs of leggings pants from Uniqlo (two for my daughter, one for me), a camera for GryffindorDisappointment that was a BF special, and a set of camera filters from Amazon for DH. Free shipping, no crowds, in my jammies...

I got my nails done yesterday. Normally, if I go in on Friday, the ship is too busy and too loud. Yesterday, my person was the only one working. We talked, laughed and enjoyed the quiet.

Today, I went on-line and bought four bras for 30% off and free shipping. Also bought next year's work planner, also 30% off and free shipping. I usually do buy my planner on this weekend or cyber Monday. I needed bras and happened to get lucky this weekend.

I can't remember the last time we were out on Black Friday other than for lunch.

Just sort of a random thought - when my stepdaughter was small, my husband (a young father) would go on Christmas Eve to Toys r Us and buy gifts and it was always packed.  Wouldn’t Black Friday be better than Christmas Eve? I’ve been out of the social media loop, so I didn’t even know there was a war on Black Friday. I knew there were issues with Thanksgiving itself, though.  

Black Friday was a bit nuts locally, at least at the local Walmart. Some people were upset because of not enough TV's for everyone who wanted one. A $200 dollar TV for $88 bucks. No joke, I wish I could have purchased one. 

Derick = sanctimonious POS. 

I spend a ton of $ between Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I have young children and 5 nieces and nephews who are under 4 (and it won't end there). You just can't beat toy prices on these days and I get almost everything online. When the kids get older we'll move to gift "experiences" rather than toys (things like tickets to shows or amusement parks, ski passes, etc) but right now they are at the perfect age for a toy or two that just makes their day. I also buy clothes for my kids because places like the Gap, etc have great deals. But I can get almost everything without stepping foot outside, much less going to a mall. 

I hate crowds and I don't like the idea of employees having to work ON Thanksgiving, but other than that I don't have a problem with Black Friday.  My laptop has been slowly dying and I ordered a new one yesterday and so was able to get more bang for my buck than if I'd gotten it another day.  I also made a hail mary run to the mall because I belatedly figured out that one of the things my kids want was a doorbuster deal at GameStop but of course they were out by 2pm.  

Derick and the turkey.... okay... is he trolling?  Does he think he's trolling one thing and he doesn't realize what it really looks like?  Who holds a turkey leg like that getting grease all over their hand?   Is he just zoned out on painkillers from his jaw surgery?  I cannot figure this guy out.  

I have to say, I'm confused as to why Derick would have an issue with Black Friday. These people absolutely worship capitalism, definitely more than they worship Jesus (who they seem to view as a get-out-of-hell-free ticket and a convenient excuse to attack people who aren't like them, and nothing more).

7 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I'm confused as to why Derick would have an issue with Black Friday.

Maybe the greed? Or jealousy that he truly can't run out and buy all those TVs (that he can't/won't watch).

Further:  where's the turd recipe? lol

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Further:  where's the turd recipe? lol

LOL Oh no, I completely forgot! I'll try to get it from my grandma ASAP. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived