IGNORED

Meghan and Harry: Royal Baby

But doing so just to stick it too your in laws and rebel is. As far as we know John means nothing particular to them regarding honoring anyone close to them or other personal significance like Spencer would.  And besides The Queens wishes if she indeed does not care for a name can’t just be disregarded like that. 

10 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

And besides The Queens wishes if she indeed does not care for a name can’t just be disregarded like that. 

This baby is 7th in line for the throne and they don't need the Queen's permission for the name. I'm sure Harry will tell his grandmother their name choice, but she doesn't have final say on it as the queen. As his grandmother and an important motherly figure in his life, that's a different story.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

9 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

But doing so just to stick it too your in laws and rebel is. As far as we know John means nothing particular to them regarding honoring anyone close to them or other personal significance like Spencer would.  And besides The Queens wishes if she indeed does not care for a name can’t just be disregarded like that. 

We don’t know anything about their personal feelings. 

Idk about you but I’ve never met these people.

But very few people will name a child something they hate just to stick it to their family when there are so many names they can find one they love that will also stick it to their family....I assume that if they are picking a name of their own choosing it’s something they would like to call their child.

And yes, the queens wishes can be disregarded if she doesn’t like a name because it’s not her child.  If there are some kind of ridiculous royal consequences to displeasing her that’s for the Harry and Meghan to manage...but I’m pretty sure having them beheaded or thrown in the tower for disobedience isn’t legal these days.  

7 minutes ago, viii said:

As his grandmother and an important motherly figure in his life, that's a different story.

A lot of us have been there.  Weird aside but with my eldest I had two other boy names in mind which my gramma thought were terrible.  Like how could you do that to an innocent baby terrible.

decades later I find out through a coworker who happened to know one of my cousins that he used both of them for his sons long after gramma died.

They are unusual names so I have no idea if that’s a crazy coincidence or if she said something about those names within earshot of him when he was young.  

Anyway I went with my first choice, of one of the names she hated had been my first choice I’d have told her I loved her and used the name anyway.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

Technically it is her child actually.  By law she has Custody all royal minors.  But they all ways run the names past her. It’s called respect and deference. Yes, they could name a kid John and but I don't believe they will. Maybe they make one of his middle names that though. 

I kind of think that the Queen doesn't care what her grandson names his child. And even if she did, probably wouldn't do anything about it. She attended his wedding to an American divorcee in St. George's Chapel, after all. It's not the 1930's anymore, and anyway, Harry and his children are never going to be the monarch, barring some major disaster a la "King Ralph." 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

31 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Technically it is her child actually.  By law she has Custody all royal minors.  But they all ways run the names past her. It’s called respect and deference. Yes, they could name a kid John and but I don't believe they will. Maybe they make one of his middle names that though. 

I had never heard of such a thing!  Til.  Anyway the sacred tome of people magazine says that’s a royal prerogative thing and not legally binding and that’s as much information as I need since the nuances of royals custody is unlikely to come up in my midwestern life.  

But I learned something new which makes the monarchy even more ridiculous ...and I didn’t think that was possible.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

John was the name of Diana's father (technically, Edward John, but he was known as John or Johnnie for his entire life) and pretty reliable sources have long said that it is actually what she wished to name Harry. Charles apparently vetoed it. 

So it is the name of Harry's maternal grandfather. Not a name that doesn't honor anyone. 

And, frankly,  I think the both of them enjoy rebelling. They do quite a lot of it in terms of ignoring protocol and tradition. 

• Upvote 7

Because they are allowed to for small stuff. Harry and Meghan are not all powerful and still have to live in Royal boundaries. They still have to get approval to travel, release statements  and Charles is still paying for them. 

Harry's maternal grandfather died when Harry was 8, so he would be old enough to have memories, but not old enough to form a tight bond. So perhaps John is an option, but I would be surprised to see it. Middle name, perhaps, but I'd be shocked if it was first name. 

I wonder if Robert will make the list. 

• Upvote 5

I still think Dorian is a nice name. For her mother but also D for Diana. It’s unique but classic.

3 hours ago, viii said:

I'd be very surprised if the baby's name was John, as that is a taboo name within the royal family. However, harry and Meghan have proven to pave their own road, so this might simply be another path. If they're going to start pulling taboo names back into the picture, skip John and go for Richard!! 

I don't see John being used either, not even just about King John but also the last Royal child named John was the son of George V and he died aged 13 of epilepsy, he spent a lot of his life kept away from London because as well as epilepsy, he also almost certainly on the autism spectrum. George and Queen Mary were cold towards all their children and didn't seem to know how to deal with a disabled child. The treatment of him is a chapter that the Windsor family will probably want to forget.

• Upvote 8

Dorian is nice, but it feels a bit like Twilight with me with the whole Renesmee bit. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I don't see John being used either, not even just about King John but also the last Royal child named John was the son of George V and he died aged 13 of epilepsy, he spent a lot of his life kept away from London because as well as epilepsy, he also almost certainly on the autism spectrum. George and Queen Mary were cold towards all their children and didn't seem to know how to deal with a disabled child. The treatment of him is a chapter that the Windsor family will probably want to forget.

It’s true George and Mary were not outwardly loving parents but John was very well taken care of in the country by his beloved nanny and letters show they certainly visited him and mourned for him when he died. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, tabitha2 said:

It’s true George and Mary were not outwardly loving parents but John was very well taken care of in the country by his beloved nanny and letters show they certainly visited him and mourned for him when he died. 

Yes that is true that he was well cared for but the family still got hate when it was revealed about John. 

The Queen does technically have custody of the children under an old law but tends to avoid interfering and I don't see her vetoing a name unless it was something really bad they wanted to choose.

• Upvote 7

57 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

I kind of think that the Queen doesn't care what her grandson names his child. And even if she did, probably wouldn't do anything about it. She attended his wedding to an American divorcee in St. George's Chapel, after all. It's not the 1930's anymore, and anyway, Harry and his children are never going to be the monarch, barring some major disaster a la "King Ralph." 

Not only did she attend his wedding to an American divorcee, but they took her and the rest of the family to Black Church while doing it without any public pushback from them. Charles even helped with the music a bit if I remember right. Not gonna lie, that looked like it was a phenomenally fun wedding ceremony and I’m not even that into religion. ?

23 minutes ago, viii said:

Harry's maternal grandfather died when Harry was 8, so he would be old enough to have memories, but not old enough to form a tight bond. So perhaps John is an option, but I would be surprised to see it. Middle name, perhaps, but I'd be shocked if it was first name. 

They could pick John more as a tribute towards Diana and her side of the family in general, rather than towards his grandfather specifically. Our girl name this time is the same first name as one of my FIL’s aunts, but we chose it more just so we could honor his father and his family rather than that Aunt specifically (and because we like the name.)

• Upvote 5

My name prediction?

Homer JoJo Windsor.

I'm calling it right now.

• Haha 12
  • Love 1

I think they’ll probably have more children so I don’t expect them to use something like Dorian when they might want Doria in the name for a girl later. Much like there was no “Spencer” in George’s name despite plenty of predictions and it being fairly normal for royals to give their kids 4 names. I wouldn’t be as surprised to see Spencer in the mix for Harry & Meghan, partly because they’re less pressured for everything to be “royal” sounding, and partly because Will already used Diana in Charlotte’s name.

Speaking of animal names, my cats growing up were George and Charlie (short for Georgina and Charlotte). My best friend had a Great Dane called Louis, which they bought after her previous dog, Harry, died. My mum now has a Golden Retriever called Henry. So I suppose my royal baby name prediction should be another of our pets’ names: Samuel after our first dog, or Raphael or Michelangelo (maybe just Michael) after my current cats? Or Philip after that same friend’s other past dog, Phillipa.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

I also think we will see Spencer in the mix. Perhaps Spencer Phillip Charles Arthur. 

I know I’ve already made predictions but I think it’s ao hard to know what to expect.

I’m 50/50 as to whether they’ll go with a typically Royal name, or if we’ll see something from left field. I think he’ll have a cute nickname. 

Alfie, Albie, Freddie - any of those typical English names - would work well with their choices from the family tree.

I would love to see Charles Spencer William as the three middle names.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, viii said:

I respectfully disagree. You can lose a love one at eight and still had a tight bond with that person. My great-grandmother died when I was seven and we were really close. She was the coolest woman I ever knew and who I wanted to be when I grew up. I still try to be like her. She was still riding motorcycles into her 70s. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 5

The Queen does technically have custody of the children under an old law

Wait. What!? Why?
  • Haha 5

In the 1700s King George had a bad relationship with his son, so he passed the custody law to make sure that he had control of his son’s children. The royal family never got rid of the law, which explains why the queen technically has custody today.

• Thank You 4

I really do think that’s going to happen for a middle name.  William could not do that but Harry can do that for Diana. 

I’ve seen Theodore floating around as a suggestion, to honour Doria. I like it.

The most hilarious suggestion I’ve read so far is Marky Markle.

• Haha 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic