IGNORED

Meghan and Harry: Royal Baby

I wonder if Prince George overhead adults discussing possible names and and that is why he used it? It is also possible it is just a name he heard at school and liked. My younger sister used to pretend her name was Sarah. She just liked the name and always used it for her dolls or whenever we were playing house. Occasionally she would introduce herself as Sarah when meeting new people. 

• Upvote 5

On 5/7/2019 at 4:26 PM, viii said:

Harry's maternal grandfather died when Harry was 8, so he would be old enough to have memories, but not old enough to form a tight bond. So perhaps John is an option, but I would be surprised to see it. Middle name, perhaps, but I'd be shocked if it was first name. 

I wonder if Robert will make the list. 

20 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I respectfully disagree. You can lose a love one at eight and still had a tight bond with that person. My great-grandmother died when I was seven and we were really close. She was the coolest woman I ever knew and who I wanted to be when I grew up. I still try to be like her. She was still riding motorcycles into her 70s. 

Haven't made it to the end of the thread yet but wanted to post before I got sidetracked... I also had an amazingly tight bond with a grandmother of mine who died when I was 8. She was actually my great grandmother but I saw her all the time and she was an amazing lady and very  hands on as a (great) grandmother. She was the first person I went to when I had news in my life, good or bad. I have tons of memories with her but what really stays all these years later is how she made me feel. Losing her I definitely lost one of my best friends. It's the anniversary of her death on the 14th so I've been thinking about more than usual since May started. I still miss her very much. ❤️

• Upvote 1
  • Love 12

I didn't lose my first family member until I was 19 (my grandpa passed 3 days before I turned 20), so I'm sorry that I was so dismissive of young childhood bonds with family members. I'm so glad members have had those experiences and I'm sorry I wasn't respectful of it. ❤️ 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 14

9 hours ago, viii said:

I didn't lose my first family member until I was 19 (my grandpa passed 3 days before I turned 20), so I'm sorry that I was so dismissive of young childhood bonds with family members. I'm so glad members have had those experiences and I'm sorry I wasn't respectful of it. ❤️ 

Thank you for that. It can be tough to understand sometimes when your experience is so different, but that was very sweet of you to offer an explanation and apology. :) 

I’ve shared my own personal experience previously, but my first significant loss was two weeks before my fifth birthday when my only maternal Aunt died as a result of suicide. I still remember being told by my parents and crying hysterically with my siblings - I also remember they told us right after the Mother’s Day pageant at my preschool and I remember feeling very confused about why my mom was crying to another mom during the performance. I thought I wasn’t singing well enough or something. We were extremely young and didn’t understand entirely, but I know in my heart just how important we were to one another and my family has confirmed that feeling with the stories they’ve shared with us. I’ve lived almost my entire life knowing and feeling that I lost someone exceptionally important to me. 

When we were picking names for our daughter, I suggested we use my Aunt’s middle name (Elizabeth) as her first name. My husband suggested flipping her name order and changing the spelling of the middle name to the German version (Elisabeth) to honor my dad’s German heritage. We just passed the 26th anniversary of my Aunt’s death last weekend, but I feel a mixture of happiness, pride, and a little bit of sadness when I think about my daughter’s name and what it represents to my family and me. I wish more than almost anything that my Aunt were here to meet my family and my sister’s family, but I’m glad we had a chance to honor her memory through our daughter.

• Love 18

Only three days old and the racism is already starting:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/danny-baker-fired-racist-royal-baby-archie-chimpanzee-photo-102117934.html

Can anyone explain who Danny Baker is? Because I’m just sitting here thinking he’s either a complete idiot for not understanding how racist this looks or he’s a racist who is attempting to do some PR damage and is doing it very badly. I’m leaning towards racist who sucks at damage control. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 7

23 hours ago, singsingsing said:

It's definitely not a name I would choose myself, but it's kind of growing on me. I'm actually kind of shocked that I like it? If he ends up with a similar personality to his parents, I can see it fitting him. And he certainly won't be out of place among his age cohort in England with the name Archie. I prefer it to Albert, that's for sure.

I'm more excited that it seems like he won't have a title and will just be able to go by his name, like Princess Anne's children. That's nice for him.

And yeah, Harrison = Harry's son. Maybe I'm too sappy, but I think that's adorable.

My friend did that. Her husband’s name is Jeremy, so they named their son Jarison.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/danny-baker-fired-racist-royal-baby-archie-chimpanzee-photo-102117934.html

Can anyone explain who Danny Baker is? Because I’m just sitting here thinking he’s either a complete idiot for not understanding how racist this looks or he’s a racist who is attempting to do some PR damage and is doing it very badly. I’m leaning towards racist who sucks at damage control. 

He is a DJ and presenter here. He said his intention was to poke fun of the media circus surrounding the birth and not the fact the baby was mixed race. He took it down and apologised quickly. I don't think it was intentional racism in his part but BBC were right to let him go.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 1

It's so clearly racist, but that's half the issue here - people don't even realize they're being racist because they're so privileged and they're not used to thinking on how it might come across or the true connotations of something. 

I have a hard time believing in 2019 that he, as a UK citizen and is fully aware of the backlash Meghan has received, didn't think comparing her baby to a monkey would be a big deal.

Fucking idiot. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 1

Yeah I'm not buying the "I didn't know it is racist" excuse. Maybe a million and one racism uproars ago but not now.

Anyway if someone honestly is unaware that comparing somebody's baby to a monkey is offensive they don't need to be on the radio or TV either because they're so uninformed and clueless they're bound to express many other dumb and offensive thoughts.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6

On 5/8/2019 at 11:58 AM, viii said:

Harrison literally means son of Harry, so I think it's a pretty good bet to guess that's a nod to his proud dad!

I hadn't thought of "Harrison" meaning "Harry's son".  That's a very good nod to dad. ?  I confess I'm not a big fan of the name Archie, but 1) I actually thought of the Archie comics when I heard the name, and Archie is a redhead, just like Harry, and 2) I understand that there is an Archibald back in Diana's lineage, so it's a way to subtly honor his grandmother.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Yeah I heard about this too.

My response to Danny is enjoy unemployment, asshole.

And of course he's trying to explain it away

Amid widespread accusations of racism, Baker deleted the tweet and said he was sorry the "gag" had "whipped some up." He claimed the connotations had not occurred to him because his "mind (is) not diseased."

Yeah, asshole, your mind is pretty fucking diseased if you're saying stuff like that. 

I'm off to cram a fucking c note in the swear jar now.

• Upvote 8

Spoiler

Amid widespread accusations of racism, Baker deleted the tweet and said he was sorry the "gag" had "whipped some up." He claimed the connotations had not occurred to him because his "mind (is) not diseased."

Oh well that's not an apology, that's a "sorry if stupid idiots were offended"

And racism is always OK if your criteria are that everyone who calls racism out has a diseased mind.

It is also not Baker’s first mistake while working for the corporation. He has been fired by the BBC twice before, once in 1997 after encouraging football fans to abuse a referee after he awarded a controversial penalty in an FA Cup tie, and more recently in 2012 when his BBC London show was dropped, in response to which he launched an on-air rant calling his bosses “pinheaded weasels”.

The BBC never learns? https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/editorials/danny-baker-sacked-bbc-twitter-racist-monkey-royal-baby-a8906461.html

Describing the moment he was told he'd lost his Saturday morning radio show, he said: "The BBC said they found it abhorrent.

"I told them 'f*** you, and f*** off'. That’s exactly what I said to them. It wasn’t a very long call."

Baker then bizarrely claimed to have been unaware which members of the royal family were showing off their baby yesterday.

He said: "Literally put a gun to my head and say ‘who was having a baby yesterday?’ I wouldn’t have been able to tell you.

"I can name every squad in the Champions League but the royals is not my forte.

"I knew there was a royal baby. I didn’t know it was Meghan and Harry’s.

"If I’d known you simply wouldn’t have done it, would you? It was a big, stupid, grotesque, backfired gag."

He can't even decide which lie to tell.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9033570/danny-baker-bbc-boss-fired-rant-racist-royal-baby-tweet-apology/

• Upvote 8

I'm not caught up on this thread, but I wanted to share this article from The New Yorker on baby Archie's name:

Harry and Meghan Markle Introduce Their Son, a Royal Named Archie

I love how the writer mentions that the most famous Archie that England has produced was Archie Leach, better known as Cary Grant whose wonderful voice was mixture of English and American accents.   (Can you tell I'm a fan?)  Harrison captures the spirit of the way mediaeval royals were named.  (Read all the way to the end.)

Welcome to the world, Archie Harrison Mountbatten Windsor!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

I’m a cynical old curmudgeon who hates the very idea of a monarchy even more than I hate most cheese but I have to say...

that is one cute baby.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I’m a cynical old curmudgeon who hates the very idea of a monarchy even more than I hate most cheese but I have to say...

that is one cute baby.  

Right?! He is SO adorable. I hope they release more photos of him soon, rather than have us wait until his christening. I'd like to see him without being swaddled in the blanket. 

• Upvote 2

Baby Sussex is a cutie (as all babies) and his parents are obviously over the moon (as expected).

What irritates me is how many people (not necessarily here) express disappointment he isn’t a girl or act as if they definitely need a second now- a girl - ASAP. It feels so derogatory to this little fella. I know many online communities in this areas are somehow obsessed with girls (mummy/celebrity/royal/fashion blogs-vlogs-Instagram). Probably because there are some underlying (very traditional) ideas about „little princesses“. As if there is a rule a girl would deliver those expectations. There is absolutely no one who has a right to wish for the sex but the parents. And I am sure if they stop after one or only have boys they will be completely happy and content.

Another thing that I find slightly irritating is why everyone tries to find some deeper meaning/connection in his name. I mean if you search long enough you will find something for every name. My guess: they just liked the name. Which is absolutely fine.

I wonder if we will ever get a confirmation if she gave birth in a hospital (not that it’s our business). There were many stories that she would like to have a homebirth but I do not recall ever getting a hint in that direction from themselves. Probably made up by magazines like so many stories. My guess is that this was always the plan. You (and they are certainly in a position make it happen) can have a non intervention just midwife let birth in a hospital as well.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

I like the name.  It is one of those baby-with-an-old-man-name kind of names of which I am fond.

One of my kids has a (gasp, wait for it . . . ) nickname as his real name.  Think Danny for Daniel.  He's done just fine so far, and could use Daniel as a "nickname" later if he wants, I suppose.  I've mentioned elsewhere before about all the people who found success despite either having a nickname as a real name (Harry Truman) or used the nickname as their primary name 99% of the time (Jimmy Carter, to keep the US President theme, or Prince Harry himself, who is really Henry.)  I just don't see that it matters if my son's college diploma reads Danny or Daniel? My 2 cents, anyway.

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Baby Sussex is a cutie (as all babies) and his parents are obviously over the moon (as expected).

What irritates me is how many people (not necessarily here) express disappointment he isn’t a girl or act as if they definitely need a second now- a girl - ASAP. It feels so derogatory to this little fella. I know many online communities in this areas are somehow obsessed with girls (mummy/celebrity/royal/fashion blogs-vlogs-Instagram). Probably because there are some underlying (very traditional) ideas about „little princesses“. As if there is a rule a girl would deliver those expectations. There is absolutely no one who has a right to wish for the sex but the parents. And I am sure if they stop after one or only have boys they will be completely happy and content.

Another thing that I find slightly irritating is why everyone tries to find some deeper meaning/connection in his name. I mean if you search long enough you will find something for every name. My guess: they just liked the name. Which is absolutely fine.

I wonder if we will ever get a confirmation if she gave birth in a hospital (not that it’s our business). There were many stories that she would like to have a homebirth but I do not recall ever getting a hint in that direction from themselves. Probably made up by magazines like so many stories. My guess is that this was always the plan. You (and they are certainly in a position make it happen) can have a non intervention just midwife let birth in a hospital as well.

I think she did give birth in a hospital, I was reading assorted news articles and one said that she went to an exclusive hospital, I can not remember the name, that is frequented by celebrities.  But she was able to leave a few hours after the birth.  That might explain the time line for how the labor announcement and then birth announcement.

Also, I think he is an adorable baby.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

We should get a definitive answer on where he was born on the birth certificate which has to be filed within 42 days after the birth. I don’t know if they’re all public but I remember George and Charlotte’s being public when they were born.

Although that will only tell us how it went, it won’t tell us if they had to change their original plans.

• Upvote 3

I will say, three things I really like about those first photos are:

1. They look so genuinely happy, just like William and Catherine did with each of their babies. I think Harry and Meghan seemed a bit more relaxed, but that’s likely because they had more time together immediately after the birth and their photo call seems to have been a calmer experience - probably because this baby is very unlikely to ever inherit the throne.

2. Harry held the baby! I don’t even know why I like this so much. Maybe because it’s nice that Meghan got a bit of a break or something? I don’t know, but Harry just looked so protective and thrilled to finally be holding his own baby. I keep getting reminded of my own husband when we welcomed our daughter when I see those photos of Harry with Archie and it’s honestly making me feel a lot calmer and more excited about welcoming our final baby this year.

3. Meghan looks like she just gave birth because her bump is still front and center. Catherine did as well after all three of her births and that’s something I’m grateful for because it helps normalize having a postpartum bump. I can’t relate to looking as glamorous as they did so soon after because that just isn’t me (and isn’t part of my job and I’m just not good at that stuff ?), but I can absolutely relate to having a big old belly. 

I hope Meghan ended up with the birth she wanted (whatever that was), but I’m mostly just glad that she and Archie seem to have gotten through the birth safely and healthy. 

• Upvote 17
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I came across a FB image someone made of Tweets about George Cambridge around his birth. All the Tweets were attacking him for being male and the image creator summed it up 'already a day old and getting hate for being male'. 

Granted, this is perhaps too far an assumption (this was from a page that was pretty 'out there') but it does seem a bit silly for someone people to be desperate for female first children in the royals.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

I think with George a lot of people wanted him to be a girl due to the change in the succession line, and it would have been groundbreaking to have a daughter become Queen before her brother became King. 

• Upvote 8

Or less pleasantly they and the media  have have/Had an unhealthy obsession with another little Diana, Diana’s granddaughter, and the whole “little princess” bit that is being obsessed over... As one article put it:

“Imagine the glamour and fun she could have brought into a world of dreary austerity — a little girl with Kate’s beauty, the Queen’s poise, the Queen Mother’s elegance and maybe even a dash of Diana’s magic.”

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

Oh, that definitely played a huge part in it as well. It's a very nice tribute for William to give his daughter his mother's name, but I'm glad they didn't use it as a first name - that's far too much pressure for any little girl. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic