IGNORED

Meghan and Harry: Royal Baby

Not a name I would have chosen, but not horrible. Harrison as the middle name is cute.

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

He can go by Archie as an adult. Nicknames as full names are nothing new, they've been around for hundreds of years. I think we just tend to forget because eventually they become accepted as full names. My own name started out as a nickname many hundreds of years ago, but no one would ever think it was a nickname now. Anyway, I personally wouldn't bat an eye at an adult named Archie. Maybe because it seems far, far better than Archibald, and I can't imagine anyone named Archie wishing they had the option to go by Archibald as an adult. I guess that's my own bias showing. :pb_lol:

My grandma has just helpfully reminded me that she had an uncle named Archie. Maybe that's why the name seems okay to me. Quite honoured that Meghan and Harry chose to name their baby after my great-great-uncle. Thanks, guys, it means a lot to my family!

I personally find it bit snobby when people say that about names and as someone with the shortened version of a name it does sometimes piss me off. I don't see why people should use a full version of a name if they have no intentions of using it and maybe not even like it.

Names are also used to descriminate with jobs and things as well.   

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, tabitha2 said:
He is not a Royal baby technically though and his parents seemed determined to distance him from anything monarchy or even peerage related. Their choice I guess.

Ironic that they do not seem to want to do anything traditional, yet they have no problem with their income coming in a very traditional way

Edited by Blahblah
Remove signature
  • Upvote 3
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 3

59 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

image.png.b62cc62824bb12adfb8384fb139d3a0c.png

Beautiful picture. I love that Doria is there too. Not the biggest fan of the name, but I don't have to be :)

Aw! The Queen and Phillip look so excited to meet the little guy. And I love that Doria was there as well - it must be so special for her to be spending this much time with Meghan, Harry, and Archie right now. 

I kind of like his name. The first name is short, sweet, and apparently fits well with current trends in the UK. Not too hard to spell for a little kid and it can be shortened to Arch or Arc if thats what he prefers. He won’t stand out from the crowd much, which may be what his parents were hoping for. His middle name is actually really adorable too given the meaning behind it.

Does his last name indicate that he’ll be known as “Archie Mountbatten-Windsor”? Or will he be known as Archie Sussex the way his cousins are known as the Cambridges?

I do like that he won’t apparently be titled. It seems his parents really are set on helping him have as normal an upbringing as possible and that could help them achieve that. 

1 minute ago, AnneH said:

Ironic that they do not seem to want to do anything traditional, yet they have no problem with their income coming in a very traditional way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How much of that is due to choice though? I honestly don’t know - did Harry have much of a choice in becoming a working royal?

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Does his last name indicate that he’ll be known as “Archie Mountbatten-Windsor”? Or will he be known as Archie Sussex the way his cousins are known as the Cambridges?

I'm not an expert but I think he'll be known as Archie Mountbatten-Windsor. Williams kids are called Cambridge because they don't have last names. Archie does.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I do like that he won’t apparently be titled. It seems his parents really are set on helping him have as normal an upbringing as possible and that could help them achieve that.

His surname will be Mountbatten-Windsor. It would only be Sussex if he were titled Prince like the Cambridge’s. 

I could be wrong though 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

Archie Harrison is a very “current”, popular-now sort of name. I like Archie, although seeing as it is so popular I probably wouldn’t use it myself (I tend to prefer less common names). Harrison isn’t my cup of tea, but it’s far from the worst. 

From a BBC article I read he’ll be Master Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor. 

• Upvote 7

11 minutes ago, AnneH said:

I find this assessment of them very strange, because from an outside perspective they seem extremely traditional. Non-traditional would be them moving to Brazil, becoming militant atheists, getting multiple tattoos, renouncing their royal titles, Meghan going back to acting and Harry working part-time as a dogsitter or something. Not living on the Queen's property, being a Duke and Duchess, undertaking all the proper royal outings in the proper manner, and essentially toeing the party line. They're far from the first royals to not give their kid a super traditional name or a title. I think people expected them to be exactly like William and Catherine, which makes absolutely no sense - that would have been very non-traditional. The tabloids need to stir up controversy, so constantly crowing that Harry and his divorcee American actress wife and REBELLING!! gets them clicks. But it's pure fiction.

Edited by singsingsing
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

The Daily Mail (I know, I know...) just pointed out that George's nickname is Archie. So...there's that aspect.

As far as my comment that I don't prefer children to be given nicknames as full names, I just think that having a more formal option for official documents and resumes can be a benefit. To a child born into the British Royal Family? Probably would be a benefit to have a more formal option. But I'm someone who has spent her whole life trying to maintain being called by her full name, a name that is prone to being shortened and has many, many shorter nicknames for people to randomly chose from at their pleasure. 

• Upvote 5

Meghan being non-traditional is like... not wearing panty hose to a garden party. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

Guys, don’t you see it? 

Meghan is creating a real-time reality series based on the Archie Comics.

We have our protagonist: racially-ambiguous aristocrat Archie.

He’ll be a ginger with 3A curls that will have to navigate themes of race, wealth, duty and existing as a public figure in the age of social media. 

Can’t wait to see which characters she introduces next. 

Edited by Jinder Roles
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I'm not an expert but I think he'll be known as Archie Mountbatten-Windsor. Williams kids are called Cambridge because they don't have last names. Archie does.

2 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

His surname will be Mountbatten-Windsor. It would only be Sussex if he were titled Prince like the Cambridge’s. 

I could be wrong though 

Thanks!

I can’t remember who was discussing what Philip’s reaction might have been to the name, but maybe he was touched and excited that they opted to use the hyphenated last name. That might have been their unique way of honoring both him and the Queen at the same time without using either of their first or any of the Queen’s middle names. 

2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

The Daily Mail (I know, I know...) just pointed out that George's nickname is Archie. So...there's that aspect.

As far as my comment that I don't prefer children to be given nicknames as full names, I just think that having a more formal option for official documents and resumes can be a benefit. To a child born into the British Royal Family? Probably would be a benefit to have a more formal option. But I'm someone who has spent her whole life trying to maintain being called by her full name, a name that is prone to being shortened and has many, many shorter nicknames for people to randomly chose from at their pleasure. 

It’s unknown whether that’s his real nickname actually. That comes from a story earlier this year in which he introduced himself as Archie to a woman walking a dog who pretended not to know who he, Charlotte, and Carole Middleton were. I think it’s likely he used a fake name because he thought it was silly. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/amp27407120/meghan-markle-prince-harry-baby-archie-prince-george-nickname/

• Upvote 7

Well that’s the name nobody saw coming. I love that they used Harrison, it is a really sweet touch. 

Archie is too popular here for me to think many positive things, but I’m sure it will grow on me because of this little cutie. What a sweetheart.

Gorgeous family photo. It is so beautiful that Doria is being included in everything - the announcement, first photos etc. It seems that she has genuinely been welcomed into the family with open arms.

• Upvote 9

12 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

It’s unknown whether that’s his real nickname actually. That comes from a story earlier this year in which he introduced himself as Archie to a woman walking a dog who pretended not to know who he, Charlotte, and Carole Middleton were. I think it’s likely he used a fake name because he thought it was silly. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/amp27407120/meghan-markle-prince-harry-baby-archie-prince-george-nickname/

Yes, I thought some other tabloid said his nickname is PG?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/amp27168041/prince-george-school-nickname/

Harry and Meghan have chosen not to give him an aristocratic title, though I think he will automatically be titled when Charles takes the throne? I’m not sure of the technicalities.

Meghan and Harry have also chosen not to give him an aristocratic title, even though he could have been styled as Lord Mountbatten-Windsor and taken one of Prince Harry’s lesser titles, such as Earl of Dumbarton. He will simply be known as Master Archie.

I just looked up the statistics (I thought perhaps my experience was just local) but Archie was in the top 50 baby names here last name - it came in at 33rd,  and Archer was right behind at 34th, with many little Archers also being nicknamed Archie. 

• Upvote 3

Is Meghan a fan of Riverdale? Lol! I hope he'll be a ginger, that would be so cute! Hahaha

• Upvote 3

I mean, technically Archibald is a family name, as it is one of Diana's ancestors. Sooooo I guess he did honour his mother, lol. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Is Meghan a fan of Riverdale? Lol! I hope he'll be a ginger, that would be so cute! Hahaha

No. She was underwhelmed by Riverdale and decided to revamp the comics herself.  

Kris Jenner will serve as co-producer.

So excited for this rebrand! 

• Haha 6

53 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

If their future kids are Betty, Veronica, etc. we'll know she is!

• Haha 10

Archibald is awful so I can see why they didn’t go with that, but even Archer (which I ordinarily hate) would have been better than Archie. It’s so nicknamey and casual sounding, and with Harrison in the middle it sounds too trendy for my liking.

I’m pleasantly surprised that they only used one middle name and no family names (unless we count Harrison). I’m UNpleasantly surprised by the actual name they chose. So many better choices away from the bland royal.

Oh well. Not my kid, not my choice. Welcome to the world, Master Archie.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Smee said:

Archibald is awful so I can see why they didn’t go with that, but even Archer (which I ordinarily hate) would have been better than Archie. It’s so nicknamey and casual sounding, and with Harrison in the middle it sounds too trendy for my liking.

I’m pleasantly surprised that they only used one middle name and no family names (unless we count Harrison). I’m UNpleasantly surprised by the actual name they chose. So many better choices away from the bland royal.

Someone pointed out elsewhere that Archibald Harrison would be Archie Bald Harry's Son. 

I didn't predict the right name. But I was not wrong that they were not required to choose a regnal or traditional name. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

But I was not wrong that they were not required to choose a regnal or traditional name. 

I don't think anyone said they had to?

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Smee said:

Someone pointed out upthread that there was an Archibald in Diana’s family at some point and Harrison is a subtle reference to Harry himself (a tribute to his nickname, but still.) Archie's last name is, of course, a hyphenated family name on his father’s side - Mountbatten for Philip’s side and Windsor for the Queen’s. They might have felt more comfortable skipping obvious family names for those reasons.

ETA: I like that they chose something that’s been recently popular in the UK. It’ll make it easier for the little guy to blend in with a crowd and move between social classes if he wants to. I think that was likely a big draw for them considering they do seem genuine about wanting him to live a more normal life (well, as normal as possible when your Great-Grandma is the Queen.)

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 6

39 minutes ago, kpmom said:

If their future kids are Betty, Veronica, etc. we'll know she is!

Veronica Mountbatten-Windsor actually has quite the ring to it...and of course, Elizabeth would be after gran. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 13

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

When my oldest was 3 or 4, she used to introduce herself to other kids at playgrounds, and she seldom used her real name. Daisy Duck and the name of a city park (we have 5 or more parks named after women in my city) are two I remember. I never minded her keeping her identity private, plus it made for cute stories. :my_smile:

• Haha 13
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Archie son of Harry :) 

Wonder Where the Archie came from... all I think of is Jughead and Archie Bunker. 

I read that it is commonly a nickname of Arthur, and that it is to honor Prince Charles as it's one of his names.

He is a darling baby.  They look very happy.

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic