IGNORED

Josh, Anna, and M'kids part 18: The Prodigal Son Returneth

Buzzard

To me twat is a borderline swear word like crap or bloody, some people would see it as an offensive word others don't but it did make me feel a tad uncomfortable seeing it used to describe a 9 year old. 

Jessa was mean but nowhere near as bad as a lot of girls, she has seemed to matured a lot in the past few years and while she is far from perfect, her and Ben do seem like good parents. I have never thought her chin was huge.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MailHasArrived said:

It is always convenient to "adopt" one extra sister-mom.

Laura.....

Science talk!  I must show off my fav molecule SOAP!!  The red part is attracted to water and the white parts that look like jumping jacks attract dirt!

so like my Gramma said “you can’t get anything clean without soap”.  

:soapbox:

Spoiler

37A6A57B-7DA7-4216-B7A0-138EFEC0EA8B.jpeg.277083aa2deade653f46ebe73f112468.jpeg

On 1/19/2019 at 12:48 PM, Carm_88 said:

Jordyn and Mac are the same age. So it's likely that they play together a lot or spend a lot of time together. It's nice that Anna includes her. I don't know if Jordyn and Mac are sister Moms already; we really can't tell because neither of them are playing a part in Counting On. 

Yea, I remember Jordyn and Mac were always described as best friends, and they always seemed to be joined at the hip whenever they were together, even way back before Josh’s fall. 

If you have a bunch of kids in the same family around the same age you would naturally have some who bond more closely than others. 

We have a bunch of siblings/cousins in that age range right now in my family and it’s always interesting to see them in different combos. And as they get older how the various friendships change.

"Twat" always makes me laugh because I hear it in a Malcolm Tucker voice. And I lol'd Blessa-witch-chin. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

Yeah, 'twat' to me is not a swear word. It's barely even insulting. It's very mild, like 'jerk'. Wouldn't use it to describe a child, but it's not terribly offensive or anything.

Was lurking and thought I'd chime in on the "twat" topic.

I'm American and I don't hear the word used very often, but I consider it to be a milder form of "cunt," so... I find it pretty offensive. My impression is that "cunt" is considered less offensive in other parts of the world than it is here, so if a non-American were to call me a twat or cunt, I would be offended but less so than if an American had called me one.

Twat did you say?

I cunt hear you.

Must be an ear infucktion.

(sorry, I had to let my inner 12 year old out.  That's an old line my sister used to use).

About the word 'cunt', we use the Dutchified version of this word like most Americans use the word 'shit'. Took me a long time to realize that in other parts of the world it might sounds strange to go around yelling 'cunt' when you drop your coffee.

14 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

To me twat is a borderline swear word like crap or bloody, some people would see it as an offensive word others don't but it did make me feel a tad uncomfortable seeing it used to describe a 9 year old. 

Jessa was mean but nowhere near as bad as a lot of girls, she has seemed to matured a lot in the past few years and while she is far from perfect, her and Ben do seem like good parents. I have never thought her chin was huge.

Yeah, I understand that there’s a cultural difference at play here with that particular word. I tried to be polite in my post for that reason - some people genuinely don’t realize it’s more offensive in certain countries than in others and I feel it’d be a jerk move to cuss someone out when it might just be a misunderstanding. It’s the fact that it was used in relation to a minor child that bothers me. If the post was reworded to use “obnoxious” or something then it wouldn’t have really bugged me. I might still have said something in Josie’s defense, but I wouldn’t have had an issue with the word choice.

I don’t know. I feel like Josie just ends up being the (sometimes) unintended target of a lot of hate online - and I don’t mean just on FJ and I’m not calling out anyone here either. It’s not her fault she was born into the Duggar family or that her parents treat her differently than her siblings because of her extreme prematurity. Her adult siblings are more than fair game for genuine criticisms regarding their choices and beliefs, but Josie is just a kid who hasn’t had much choice in how public her life is. 

17 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Science talk!  I must show off my fav molecule SOAP!!  The red part is attracted to water and the white parts that look like jumping jacks attract dirt!

so like my Gramma said “you can’t get anything clean without soap”.  

:soapbox:

Hide contents

37A6A57B-7DA7-4216-B7A0-138EFEC0EA8B.jpeg.277083aa2deade653f46ebe73f112468.jpeg

I teach geochemistry and we always talk about water hardness and how Ca2+ and Mg2+ replace the H+ on the end of the soap molecules and fuck it up good. This is relevant in my limestone-rich area with hard-ass tap water. Usually the students seem mildly engaged because hey, they've seen soap scum. It's a thing!

Twat isn't offensive to me. It's what you say when you've used all your swear words and can't think of something else to say. Josie is a child and it's not her fault that her parents give her tons of attention and ignore their other children. That's the fault of the parents. 

3 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Twat isn't offensive to me. It's what you say when you've used all your swear words and can't think of something else to say. Josie is a child and it's not her fault that her parents give her tons of attention and ignore their other children. That's the fault of the parents. 

I feel sorry for Josie for that reason. Being both the youngest and the miracle baby means she gets all the attention now but I have seen her getting hate and nasty comments about her health online, not on here. Josie does not seem any different to other children her age. 

"Twat" = turkey = twit = monkey ... not at all offensive to me in the USA. It meant so little to me that when I read the complaint I had to go back and see the post.  It wasn't in reference to anything about her looks; it wasn't making fun of her name, which posters around here do with abandon. (Making fun of names stoops us to Derick's level, but I'll admit some are good for a hearty laugh.) Just because 'twat' can be used for other purposes doesn't mean this poster used it that way. Many many words can be construed to have vulgar meaning... if they are used that way. This time it wasn't.

Josie is one of my favorites because she learned pretty early on she was playing a part.  I love her “I’m over it” expressions.

I think Josie also pays for being the miracle child Remember when Michelle got annoyed with her for saying "bomb" instead of "bombs "?  While it seems she gets more attention than the other kids, there is also a lot of pressure on her to live up to her miracle status.

Srsly I do not get all the Josie hate (not just on this thread, this comes up a lot). As to it being nice that jordyn got to go somewhere without her - I super hope Josie had somewhere else to be bc otherwise this just seems mean to me! Aren’t Mac, jenni and Josie are all born within 12 months of each other? I would imagine Josie would feel left out if all the other little cousins got to go to the museum and she was the only one left behind...

Josie is a little girl. There is nothing to hate about her. She's a child. A child who was not given a choice about being 'the miracle baby' on a reality TV show featuring her morally questionable fundamentalist family. 

On 1/21/2019 at 3:56 PM, Glasgowghirl said:

it did make me feel a tad uncomfortable seeing it used to describe a 9 year old. 

To be fair, she said what a twat Josie would be IF blah blah blah. She didn't actually call Josie a twat.

I’ve always gotten the vibe that Anna was more empathetic than the average Duggar. She subscribed to the Koolaid but she’s gotta deeper connection to people.

I know it’s a minor thing, but I really wouldn’t describe Jessa as a narcissist. There are people in Duggarville I would classify as such but Jessa and Ben aren’t.

Anna seems to include the younger Duggars on her fun excursions. I don’t think she would include all but Josie. I like that Anna seems to support her homeschooling by taking the children to educational places. Wonder if she has continued going to the library? 

Can anybody remind me what the thing with leaving the house and getting shoes on that Anna said? It was something about asking one of the kids to help another and she said "I'm not a perfect mom".

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived