IGNORED

Counting On season 5/6/7 Part 3 - Weddings, Babies, and Denial

Buzzard

16 hours ago, freethemall said:

- The Seewalds have so many options with Italian and French food and they make the most Americanized Italian dish possible. Also, was Jessa cutting the chicken while it was cooking in the pan? That's... Interesting.

- Did Austin subtlety admit to both getting touchy before the wedding and also being pregnant with a second? He said something about Joe and Kendra being behind.

They all made the most generic dishes. Greek salad, caprese and chocolate fondue are so popular that you could almost forget their origin (even though I think this chicken cheese dish is actually as Italien as American style pizza- like not at all, but maybe I am wrong).

I think Austin meant it more in general, as the baby isn’t here yet way.

I loved how Joy didn‘t give a fuck about his fondue rules. And in the TH I got the impression that he wasn’t too bothered by it either. I know that lots of people on this board think that he is rude, controlling and get major red flags. I interpret lots of his behaviour differently so I lean more to the positive side with him (not really positive though- we all know what they stand for). When Joe and Kendra brought their baby back home there was a clip were Austin was holding him and he seemed totally smitten. I never thought he could look so at ease, soft and happy. Kind of gives me hope for his own son.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/18/2018 at 1:53 AM, just_ordinary said:

What I don’t get- Lauren had a very clear vision of what she wanted. From fabric to cut. Why the hell did they put her in 3 lace dresses and one with a very big skirt?????? 

Even if they want to create some drama for TV- there are surely more dresses that would at least have fit her idea.

This does not look good for the shop in my opinion. Come here and we give you exactly what you don’t like? I can see trying something out of your comfort zone when what you initially wanted just doesn’t work but this was ridiculous.

On 9/19/2018 at 12:12 AM, Daisy0322 said:

Jinger isn't my pet fundie so maybe that's screwing with my perception but I think her and Jeremy are trying to build a brand. I think the stiff formalness is them trying to be the "Ken and Barbie" of fundie land.  All the duggars care about is ratings and jinger got good ratings even if public perception wasnt the ideal fundy dream girl and she was very different in the engagement and courting episodes. I think it's a deliberate polish her and Jeremy are going for.

I know I’m late and there were tons of other comments about this, but I’m sure the dress shop gave away a dress in exchange for a commercial. Lace is very popular for a lot of brides, so they took the opportunity to show some of their lace options. None of those dresses were ever chosen for Lauren or were ever in the running for her to consider. She probably already had her dress chosen prior to filming. 

19 hours ago, freethemall said:

- With the Greek too, we never saw them trying amazing foods like moussaka, souvlaki, tzatziki, so many great options and they could barely handle olives.

- Austin is way too germaphobic, get over it. I would be double dipping and eating off my fondue all over the place and would love to see their reaction.

Didn’t they take a walking tour and eat a few different things? She didn’t like spinach, of all things. ?

i am the opposite of a germaphobe and I know some people would think some of my habits/policies are gross, so take this with a grain of salt. I do understand not wanting to swap spit with your in-laws, but that wasn’t the case here. He was SO ANNOYING about the fondue rules. It makes me wonder how he felt watching that episode when they were courting and she was looking for her shoes. First of all, her feet were filthy. Then she had him digging through a giant container of raggedy shared shoes. Now he shares a bed with those dirty feet! (Or maybe it’s because I don’t care about germs too much but dirty feet are extra gross to me.) And the TH Duggars whining about germs were some of the same ones who wore used and unlaundered clothing in a recent episode and also shared one bathroom with a dozen other kids for most of their lives. Austin was on Joy about eating off the skewer but I bet he smooched her soon after.

Here’s an idea: bring those disposable wooden skewers and no one has to eat wet chocolate with their hands but can still follow his stupid rules. Or even better: bring something you don’t have to police at the dinner party! Hershey’s chocolate and sliced bananas aren’t Swiss anyway.

All joking and exaggerating aside, I do worry about the two of them as a couple. Some here have observed that she does her own thing or gives zero shits, but I bet some of that really grates his nerves. If he truly is as uptight as he came across regarding the chocolate, and if she truly doesn’t give a damn what he thinks, I’m sure that makes for some tension at times. When I go out of my way to express something to my husband that particlarly bothers me, and then he goes and directly does just that, it doesn’t always go over well. We’ve been married long enough that it’s less of an issue than it used to be, but there was an element of embarrassment and hurt to an extent (are you not listening? do you not care?) for the first few years about things like that. I’m reaching here, but I hope she didn’t jump into marriage with someone she has “known” for a long time thinking he knew and accepted her quirks, while he didn’t even really know that her quirks (including those he doesn’t like) actually reflect her personality and she’s not a girl who fits exactly into the mold of a fundie lady. Plus he gave me the vibe that he decided he was ready for a woman in his life so he went and got one, not that he specifically liked Joy and it came together at the right time. His “I woke up one morning, put my feet on the ground, and thought, what about Joy?” still doesn’t sit well with me.

8 hours ago, jqlgoblue said:

My next door neighbor (the mom -- kids were my age) used to make a paschal lamb cake for Easter. It always felt somehow wrong to me but she thought it was very unique and exciting!

My (uber Catholic) mom makes lamb cake for Easter - we call it lambie cake because we always have but - it's usually pound cake or yellow cake in a lamb mold with butter cream frosting. Mom also puts some.... flag? in it's hind quarters and I have no idea what the flag is (white field - red cross) . I took it to my husbands house for Easter one year (minus flag) and no one would eat it (they're kind of weird anyway - if it's not what they always have - they're not touching it.) 

And she makes Easter cookies too. Some in the shape of a cross. We had a container of them one day when our friends were over (she was raised agnostic & he's Jewish) and he's like "is it weird to be eating a cross?" 
I said "I have no idea - Mom has always made them." 

8 hours ago, Pete Pickles said:

Didn’t they take a walking tour and eat a few different things? She didn’t like spinach, of all things. ?

i am the opposite of a germaphobe and I know some people would think some of my habits/policies are gross, so take this with a grain of salt. I do understand not wanting to swap spit with your in-laws, but that wasn’t the case here. He was SO ANNOYING about the fondue rules. It makes me wonder how he felt watching that episode when they were courting and she was looking for her shoes. First of all, her feet were filthy. Then she had him digging through a giant container of raggedy shared shoes. Now he shares a bed with those dirty feet! (Or maybe it’s because I don’t care about germs too much but dirty feet are extra gross to me.) And the TH Duggars whining about germs were some of the same ones who wore used and unlaundered clothing in a recent episode and also shared one bathroom with a dozen other kids for most of their lives. Austin was on Joy about eating off the skewer but I bet he smooched her soon after.

Here’s an idea: bring those disposable wooden skewers and no one has to eat wet chocolate with their hands but can still follow his stupid rules. Or even better: bring something you don’t have to police at the dinner party! Hershey’s chocolate and sliced bananas aren’t Swiss anyway.

All joking and exaggerating aside, I do worry about the two of them as a couple. Some here have observed that she does her own thing or gives zero shits, but I bet some of that really grates his nerves. If he truly is as uptight as he came across regarding the chocolate, and if she truly doesn’t give a damn what he thinks, I’m sure that makes for some tension at times. When I go out of my way to express something to my husband that particlarly bothers me, and then he goes and directly does just that, it doesn’t always go over well. We’ve been married long enough that it’s less of an issue than it used to be, but there was an element of embarrassment and hurt to an extent (are you not listening? do you not care?) for the first few years about things like that. I’m reaching here, but I hope she didn’t jump into marriage with someone she has “known” for a long time thinking he knew and accepted her quirks, while he didn’t even really know that her quirks (including those he doesn’t like) actually reflect her personality and she’s not a girl who fits exactly into the mold of a fundie lady. Plus he gave me the vibe that he decided he was ready for a woman in his life so he went and got one, not that he specifically liked Joy and it came together at the right time. His “I woke up one morning, put my feet on the ground, and thought, what about Joy?” still doesn’t sit well with me.

The walking tour consisted of eating a spanakopita (which one of them wouldn't eat), going to a market, and learning how to make a greek salad. They did also do that lunch in the sky thing (which looks TERRIFYING to me). Come to think of it, with all the honeymoon episodes we only ever see the cooking lesson and one fish-out-of-water experience but don't see the majority of their meals so who knows, maybe they are trying new things. Or they're eating American fast food every chance they get and TLC just forces them to have one cultural food experience for the sake of the show.

So glad there's another anti-germaphobe out there. I come from a family that eats off each other's plates, uses hands to pick food off of serving plates (like chips or loose fruit/veggies, I never even thought of having tongs or a spoon for stuff like that), and shares bottles.

I don't think you're the only one to get that impression with J&A. I get the feeling she constantly does stuff that irks him and that he's constantly criticizing her, though hopefully more in private than in public (except, criticizing on TV is as public as it gets). This is the same guy who doesn't want to be touched when they go to sleep. I can only imagine (though don't want to) how grossed out he gets with all the fluids that come with being intimate.

SO, TLC hasnt posted this week's episode yet.  I wont be able to do a live recap tonight, so I can try and do it tomorrow if no one else does it live.

7 hours ago, Meggo said:

flag? in it's hind quarters and I have no idea what the flag is (white field - red cross) . 

???????

^ This one? That’s England. 

6 minutes ago, Meggo said:

Googled it - it's the Resurrection Banner

And now I googled ”resurrection banner”. I’m going to get so much Jesus spam now. 

the episode is up now, though unfortunately too late for the early @Buzzard recap. I'm watching myself bc I love all and any weddings, haha. Cindy is describing her decorations for this one and you can very obviously tell she is struggling to hold it together when describing how JB "just loved the big V at Jinger's wedding" and apparently repeatedly dropped hints about "wanting a lot of D's at a wedding someday" ?

2 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

And now I googled ”resurrection banner”. I’m going to get so much Jesus spam now. 

Jesus spam. Snort.

Josiah going in for a second kiss and Lauren pulling away HAS ME SCREAMING I AM CRINGING SO HARD

i made a GIF below for reference

Spoiler

ImpoliteResponsibleGoose-size_restricted

Also there was this almost boob grab where half the people watching are cringing along with me 

I am that boy on the right in the tan vest watching this episode

Spoiler

5be65d82b05b5e8b4139a02905256fd0.thumb.jpg.09ff2ee0406495abd546602115f00016.jpg

5 hours ago, freethemall said:

The walking tour consisted of eating a spanakopita (which one of them wouldn't eat), going to a market, and learning how to make a greek salad. They did also do that lunch in the sky thing (which looks TERRIFYING to me). Come to think of it, with all the honeymoon episodes we only ever see the cooking lesson and one fish-out-of-water experience but don't see the majority of their meals so who knows, maybe they are trying new things. Or they're eating American fast food every chance they get and TLC just forces them to have one cultural food experience for the sake of the show.

So glad there's another anti-germaphobe out there. I come from a family that eats off each other's plates, uses hands to pick food off of serving plates (like chips or loose fruit/veggies, I never even thought of having tongs or a spoon for stuff like that), and shares bottles.

I don't think you're the only one to get that impression with J&A. I get the feeling she constantly does stuff that irks him and that he's constantly criticizing her, though hopefully more in private than in public (except, criticizing on TV is as public as it gets). This is the same guy who doesn't want to be touched when they go to sleep. I can only imagine (though don't want to) how grossed out he gets with all the fluids that come with being intimate.

Yay! Let’s be gross together! ? I’m kidding. Im

not actually gross, but people who are overly sensitive about germs make me laugh. You’re still getting tons of them and there’s nothing you can do about it. Again, he cringes about his own wife’s “double dipping” but almost certainly exchanged some type of bodily fluids later. 

I should have clarified that I did do a little research on the walking food tour. I can’t remember where I found it to be able to link it, but the company only had one or two options and both were very comprehensive, including several meals and snacks. These two certainly could have turned their noses up to everything, but I hope they had some tastes at most of their stops.

I've been watching the wedding episode online, and the thing that most interested me is the commercials running on TLC's website. While there have been some Toyota and GMC commercials, plus TLC commercials, most have been Ad Council commercials for various issues (including anti-drunk driving, cell phone emergency alarms, Meals On Wheels, reducing foot waste, lung cancer screening, addiction support, etc.).

Most interestingly, I've seen two different commercials for "Beyond I Do" run multiple times. "Beyond I Do" is an Ad Council campaign for non-discrimination for gay couples noting that while everyone can now get married in all 50 states, 31 states still allow discrimination. The commercials talk about a woman getting fired as a teacher for marrying another woman, and a pregnant couple getting turned away by a pediatrician for both being women. These commercials seem rather pointed to me. https://beyondido.org/states

They're also running "Love Has no Labels" ads, which include a lesbian couple, an interracial couple, and a pair of sisters, one with an intellectual disability. https://lovehasnolabels.com/

Also interestingly, they're running  commercials for seat belt safety (also Ad Council), which seem particularly pointed given the flack the Duggars have gotten for poor usage of car seats. It shows empty spaces in the world being filled along with "clicking" noises with a voice over talking about the need for the correct use of seat belts and car seats. http://www.safercar.gov/therightseat 

ADDED:

They brought Abbie in for the last 8 minutes of the episode. She's apparently been a geriatric nurse for several years and it sounds like she enjoys it.

JD brought her into the TTH and unceremoniously introduced her to the family as "his girlfriend" as he'd always claimed he would, shocking a bunch of the family and making Joy cry. The families have known each other for 18 years, and he'd seen her many times, but they only really started talking 2 1/1 months before the TH that introduced them was recorded. He was in Texas doing flight training, and had to fly to Mississippi for a wedding, then to a speaking engagement in Oklahoma which Abbie attended. They met on Sunday, confirmed interest on Monday, and started courting the following Monday.

JD: "If you know it's the right one, don't wait around."
Abbie: "If the lights are green, you go!"
JD: "That's right!"
Mutual chuckles.

And now, of course, they're engaged. But it does seem to be working for them.

1 minute ago, BunnyBee said:

@metheglyn I wish those were the ads I got, I mainly received Ted Cruz fear mongering against brown people and smearing Beto, campaign ads :angry-fire:

Huh. That's actually really interesting. I wonder if those are the ads running if no one has paid for alternative ads in a geographic region (regardless of this being online I think they can still geo-focus). I mean, I was getting 4-6 ads per commercial break, and there were something like 8 breaks. Only a few ads were for actual products, primarily cars, plus 1-2 for Little People, Big World. Pretty much every single other commercial was Ad Council, and I got multiple per commercial break. 

12 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

*snip*

They brought Abbie in for the last 8 minutes of the episode. She's apparently been a geriatric nurse for several years and it sounds like she enjoys it.

JD brought her into the TTH and unceremoniously introduced her to the family as "his girlfriend" as he'd always claimed he would, shocking a bunch of the family and making Joy cry. The families have known each other for 18 years, and he'd seen her many times, but they only really started talking 2 1/1 months before Josiah & Lauren's wedding. He was in Texas doing flight training, and had to fly to Mississippi for a wedding, then to a speaking engagement in Oklahoma which Abbie attended. They met on Sunday, confirmed interest on Monday, and started courting the following Monday.

So I interpreted it as they "met and started talking" 2.5mo before they filmed the TH, bc John said they met at the Ada, OK speaking event "on a Sunday" which was May 6.....so they probably filmed the TH interview with these two in July after wrapping up the regular content filming? I think it makes sense that they met May 6 (and he supposedly "confirmed mutual interest the next day") and were courting the Monday after (may 14) - an actually credible timeline admitted on CO camera 0.o haha. And then as John said, after a couple weeks of courting/one month ish before Si's wedding, he and Abbie walked into the TTH as bf/gf and the family was speechless and Joy cried. lol.

6 minutes ago, BunnyBee said:

@metheglyn I wish those were the ads I got, I mainly received Ted Cruz fear mongering against brown people and smearing Beto, campaign ads :angry-fire:

I think some of the ads are geo-based! I'm lucky and have gotten the opposite - Beto ads :) 

35 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

So I interpreted it as they "met and started talking" 2.5mo before they filmed the TH, bc John said they met at the Ada, OK speaking event "on a Sunday" which was May 6.....so they probably filmed the TH interview with these two in July after wrapping up the regular content filming? I think it makes sense that they met May 6 (and he supposedly "confirmed mutual interest the next day") and were courting the Monday after (may 14) - an actually credible timeline admitted on CO camera 0.o haha. And then as John said, after a couple weeks of courting/one month ish before Si's wedding, he and Abbie walked into the TTH as bf/gf and the family was speechless and Joy cried. lol.

I think you're right, if that's when the speaking event was. I updated my post in light of that. After all, we know that many of the THs are filmed a while after the events they're talking about, even when they're using the future tense about those events in the THs.

Just started watching this episode. Is or just me or has the SiRen storyline been pleasantly condensed? I feel like we had a big episode for the engagement and then one for the shower and wedding with some fluff in between. I feel like it hasn't been nearly as drawn out. 

In the decorating the church scenes... is the chubby guy in the red shirt Josh?  Sure looks like him.  If so I'm kind of astounded that he's so blatantly just back in with the crowd again.

22 minutes ago, LacyMay said:

Just started watching this episode. Is or just me or has the SiRen storyline been pleasantly condensed? I feel like we had a big episode for the engagement and then one for the shower and wedding with some fluff in between. I feel like it hasn't been nearly as drawn out. 

You're right, it has been.

The wedding itself was on 6/30/18. Per the TLC website, the short wedding specials were aired around two weeks before the season started (7/18/18), the courtposal was in episode 1 of the season along with Joe and Kendra's honeymoon (7/30/18), the engagement was in episode 6 (aired 8/27/18), the dress hunt was episode 9 (9/17/18), and the official wedding special was episode 12 (10/1/18). We didn't see endless episodes of cake selection, venue selection, invitation design, etc. and we didn't get a second short episode of Josiah & Lauren's wedding like we did with J&K's at the end of season 6, before they subsequently ALSO ended season 7 with a longer episode of J&K's wedding. 

Additionally, each of the wedding-related episodes in this season had other events happening in them, such as switching over to J&J's and J&K's pregnancy stuff, the thrift store date night, etc.

By truncating the focus on this relationship so much, we're now only three months behind real time, rather than at least 6 months. Therefore, John and Abbie are only engaged and not married before she was introduced on the show!

5 hours ago, Beyganengvall said:

Sandy Cindy Cheeks: "Jim Bob loved the V so much, he really wanted a D."

I can't with these people.

I'm just now watching and just hit this part of the episode.  My husband doesn't really watch but in the middle of her loving the v and the d talk he looked up and was like, "Wait, what? I thought you were watching the Duggars? What the hell is going on? What is this? Rewind that." We've seriously watched it like five times and can't stop cracking up! He is now watching the rest wih me hoping for more innuendo!

For those of you who, like me, can't watch it on TLC, here's a link to youtube. I hope it works for at least a couple of days (not my channel). 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived