IGNORED

Bates 25: Moving The Kids Out of the House

Coconut Flan

Yes, I do feel compassion for Michael's very difficult situation. I don't know if adoption is an option, if they are sticking to the remants of Gothards anti-adoption stance. I certainly don't trust Gil and Kelly to any way facilitate an ethical adoption. 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Yes, I do feel compassion for Michael's very difficult situation. I don't know if adoption is an option, if they are sticking to the remants of Gothards anti-adoption stance. I certainly don't trust Gil and Kelly to any way facilitate an ethical adoption. 

Michael has said on the show that she would be willing to adopt. She was having a conversation with Erin and she said something like "I'll adopt me a baby" if she couldn't get pregnant, and Erin was openly encouaging the idea. We will see how things actually play out though.

Brandon still works for that cult/church as far as I know. I worry that he won’t be open to adoption and believes if they have no children that was Gods plan.

Michael also can only follow his lead including any fertility treatment. It is so backwards and sad.

It's not only these super religious people against adoption. I'm from an 'atheist' country(former USSR fyi) and even to this day, it's 'taboo' to adopt. My friend just adopted the cutest baby ever and it was very hard. Most of the people my parents age didn't grow up with adoption. I know a few that had stories as follows: took a year off, went to grammas village to relax, oops came back with a baby. Everyone knew that the baby was adopted but gd forbid anyone talked about it. I can't blame Michael for thinking about it a million times before actually doing it. When you're surrounded by people who say it's taboo, you're going to worry how that child will be accepted.

'A Sweet Shower & a Surprise Switch' Recap

Bringing Up Bates "A Sweet Shower & a Surprise Switch"

Kelly and Josie are back in New York City for Josie’s dress fitting. “I am hoping that it fits because there’s a lot of changes that we made that I’m not really sure what they’re going to look like, but I think it’s going to be great, hopefully,” says Josie.

“Oh my word,” says Kelly when she sees her daughter in the gown. “Josie, that is more beautiful than I even imagined.” Both she and Josie love it.

“I could not be any happier,” says Kourtney Wilson, Josie's bridal consultant.

Back in Tennessee, Evan’s mom gives him some impromptu dance lessons to prepare for the proposal. “Just the fact that neither of you really know how to dance…it’s just adorable if you step on each other’s toes or don’t do it right,” says Erin. “It’s okay, it’s not about being perfect, but just about…making her dreams come true.” Erin has payed a big role in helping Evan plan the proposal.

Twenty days before the wedding, Kelly and the girls host a tea party bridal shower for Josie (even though Josie is more of a coffee drinker). With all the babies and weddings the Bates have had, it has become difficult to find a new theme for each shower.

“A Bates party is always a late party,” says Kelly. “Guests are coming in, and we’re hanging the decorations, but that is typical for a Bates party.”

The ladies compete in a game of “sniff the teabag.” The goal is to identify each type of tea by smelling the bags.

Carlin, Erin, Whitney, and Ellie end up winning, even though their process of elimination strategy is a little suspect.

Josie is thrilled about all her gifts, and she shows it as she opens them. “Honestly, now I think everything feels real,” says Josie. “The wedding is coming.”

“You’ve got an iron and an ironing board, now you’re ready to get married,” jokes Kelly.

“Kelton’s going to love it,” laughs Josie. “He loves ironing stuff. I never iron anything.”

Kelly and Carlin drive to Nashville to watch Lawson and family-friend Oliva Collingsworth record at Black River Sound Stage, and Tori comes to join them. Kelly and Lawson are clued in on a big surprise that is about to go down, but Carlin and Tori are clueless.

Evan is extremely nervous as he waits to enter the studio. Lawson is able to sneak him into the sound booth, and he starts singing a little jingle: “I got your bags packed and the plane tickets in hand. I know you’re confused, so I’ll help you understand. I’ve got a getaway trip that’s already been planned, so I’ll bring you as my girl and me as your man. This is the when. You don’t know the where, but I promise, girl, when we get there, you won’t know what to say when you see the surprise. So are you ready to take the trip to the time of our lives?”

Carlin is shocked and says later that her face looks like that of a “dying duck.” She runs into Evan’s arms. Evan has also purchased Carlin a new suitcase.

Tune in next week to watch the rest of the proposal. “I made sure to take all my rings off here, just in case,” laughs Carlin.

Recap is from Lily and Elly's blog

2 hours ago, miss_batson said:

Carlin is shocked and says later that her face looks like that of a “dying duck.” 

Is it wrong how easy this is to imagine. Dying duck is just such an.. accurate description. 

Kelly suggested a very minor alteration to Josie’s dress, and even though the designer said she could do it, Kelly said “we can let Renee handle that.” I wonder how Miz Renee felt about that!

I wonder if Josie will announce she’s pregnant during her wedding episode on Valentines’ Day.

"Twenty days before the wedding, Kelly and the girls host a tea party bridal shower for Josie (even though Josie is more of a coffee drinker). With all the babies and weddings the Bates have had, it has become difficult to find a new theme for each shower...The ladies compete in a game of “sniff the teabag.” The goal is to identify each type of tea by smelling the bags."

Christ on a cracker, why would you throw a tea-themed party for someone who doesn't like tea???   I guess UP demanded a new theme-- individual preferences be damned.

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I wonder if Josie will announce she’s pregnant during her wedding episode on Valentines’ Day.

I wonder that too.. ?

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

"Twenty days before the wedding, Kelly and the girls host a tea party bridal shower for Josie (even though Josie is more of a coffee drinker). With all the babies and weddings the Bates have had, it has become difficult to find a new theme for each shower...The ladies compete in a game of “sniff the teabag.” The goal is to identify each type of tea by smelling the bags."

Christ on a cracker, why would you throw a tea-themed party for someone who doesn't like tea???   I guess UP demanded a new theme-- individual preferences be damned.

To be fair, a “tea party” is a thing - hats, pretty cups, dainty little cakes - and a coffee party is not. Erin did point out that Josie could put coffee in her teacup.

3 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

Does every party really have to have a theme?  Are just regular parties not okay anymore? 

I know! My bridal shower was just a bridal shower. The only theme was that I was getting married. But I hadn't sold my soul to reality TV so I guess having a regular party isn't an option for them. 

13 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I know! My bridal shower was just a bridal shower. The only theme was that I was getting married. But I hadn't sold my soul to reality TV so I guess having a regular party isn't an option for them. 

Mine was Harry Potter ? #noregerts

I didn't have a bridal shower, but if I had, it wouldn't have had a theme.  My wedding didn't have a theme, even my bachelorette party didn't have a theme, unless "I'm getting married so let's get drunk and spend more money than we should on gay strippers" is a theme...

1 hour ago, LegHumperBibleThumper said:

Mine was Harry Potter ? #noregerts

That would have been a pretty cool theme. 

It is just odd to have a themed shower for a bride who doesn't even like the theme. Just give her a bridal shower if you can't find a theme she likes! 

Themes ... everything is themes now.  I've never married, but sister, cousins & friends all got married about 25 years ago and we had bridal showers, some a stag & doe party or a stag & girls night out. 

Now... there's a girl at work who did a spa weekend up north ($500 per person + drinks), one is going to Las Vegas ($600, not counting food/drink or spending money) in May and another is going to Ireland (she's a bridesmaid & has so far spent $850, not counting food/drink or spending money ) for bachelorette parties.  Oh and they're still having showers too, that the bridesmaids are throwing (with gifts) and yep, there are themes!  The tea party theme is really big now, with antique cups, pots, sandwich plates, etc. which they are purchasing at antique stores, flea markets, etc.  One of the girls showers is expected to top 60 people!

Don't forget the dresses, shoes, hair & makeup (they're talking about $400-$500+), hotel rooms the night before the wedding (split among 2 girls still at least $100 each + food & drinks), it's never ending! 

I spent $1000 on my sisters wedding, dress shoes, bridal shower and wedding gift, but she's my only sister and I freely admit I went overboard on their gift, but I didn't HAVE to do it.  I was bridesmaid or maid of honor in 3 other weddings and it cost me between $300-400 for each of them, total, all in!

I just can't believe the amount of money that bridesmaids are expected to spend now.   Personally, I'd tell them no. 

11 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I didn't have a bridal shower, but if I had, it wouldn't have had a theme.  My wedding didn't have a theme, even my bachelorette party didn't have a theme, unless "I'm getting married so let's get drunk and spend more money than we should on gay strippers" is a theme...

Pretty sure the theme of my bridal shower was "boozy brunch". I have zero regrets. :obscene-drinkingchug:

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

Pretty sure the theme of my bridal shower was "boozy brunch". I have zero regrets. :obscene-drinkingchug:

Mine was “I hate attention and don’t need anything, please don’t throw me one!” I’m happy to say people listened and I didn’t have to suffer through a Bridal Shower. ?

My sister and sister-in-law threw a co-ed one. It came complete with my nieces (3 and 5), fiancee, and future brother-in-law being arrayed in toilet paper wedding dresses. Definitely helped take the sting off the fact that none of my friends in Arizona were going to be able to attend my wedding in Virginia. 

Again I am very happy that bridesmaids and bridal showers dont exist here.

Bachelorette parties cost around €100 but only close friends are invited so I only went to two. 

Gift for a wedding will be around 30-50€ per person depending if we ate invited for the dinner as well and dresses I easily reuse 3-4 times for weddings.

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Again I am very happy that bridesmaids and bridal showers dont exist here.

Bachelorette parties cost around €100 but only close friends are invited so I only went to two. 

Gift for a wedding will be around 30-50€ per person depending if we ate invited for the dinner as well and dresses I easily reuse 3-4 times for weddings.

Where are you from?

In Barcelona a few years ago, bachelorette parties where just a diner and some drinks in a club, with (sometimes) gross jokes/games for the bride-to-be. The typical gift was some sexy underwear for the bride.

Recently, it has gone crazy. Weekends in spa hotels, nights in luxury boats, trips that require plane tickets, and even in the cheapest bechelorette parties, lots lots lots of games and matching outfits. I hate games, I'm sorry. I don't like dressing like 10 more ladies and sing in the street in my bikini or I don't know what. And they try to make you feel guilty for ruining the bride-to-be party.

My daughter is getting married in September and she didn't want a shower at all. I was so surprised, and a little disappointed, as I love to throw parties. But, it's her wedding. She wants her two sisters and me to go to a craft place with her and make some stuff to decorate their place. Then meet up with my husband and her fiancé and get dinner out. Works for me! 

Also, Tori was talking about how cool Kelton's song was, and... Bobby?  her husband, had this hurt look on his face like he was thinking "so my idea sucked?" and she didn't seem to catch onto his looks. 

Tori and Bobby’s interactions have always seemed off to me and I cant put my finger on why. They dont really seem in sync with each other.

Re Tori and Bobby: I felt like I saw the chemistry in the beginning, and it seemed to fade (to me) as they showed them progressing in their relationship. Hopefully they are happy in marriage ; it just seems like they fizzled out. 

On 1/26/2019 at 4:33 AM, lumpentheologie said:

Does every party really have to have a theme?  Are just regular parties not okay anymore? 

Kelly complained that having so many weddings /showers was getting monotonous. So she felt a theme would switch it up a a bit. I wonder just how much UP had an influence on that. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived