IGNORED

Bates 25: Moving The Kids Out of the House

Coconut Flan

8 hours ago, Johannah said:

avoiding worldly culture...

Gil and Kelly literally sell their children's lives on television, they gave up truly trying to avoid worldly things a long, long time ago. 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that phrase has become a hugely popular quote now, you don’t need to know who Taylor Swift is to know that line. I honestly don’t think Trace does, or or at least I don’t think he listens to her. 

'Bates and Switch' Recap

Bringing Up Bates "Bates and Switch"

It’s Katie’s 18th birthday, and the family is determined to throw her a surprise party. Katie dislikes being the center of attention, and she is almost impossible to surprise. So the family gathers together on Isaiah’s birthday, under the pretense of celebrating him. When Kelly announces that it’s time to give Isaiah “birthday praises,” he stands up and Kelly shout’s “Wrong birthday! We’re really celebrating Katie!”

“I played a pretty crucial part in the surprising of Katie’s birthday,” says Isaiah, happy to have a chance to do something for his sister. He had gone on a birthday shopping trip with Kelly, and the family plans to celebrate him on another day.

Katie is shocked and can’t understand how she didn’t catch on sooner. When the family gives her birthday praise, she starts tearing up. Among other things, they say she is one of the funniest Bates, thoughtful, never asks for anything for herself, and full of personality.

Katie has recently started cosmetology school (following in Josie’s footsteps) and is learning to fly with Nathan.

Later, realtor Whitney goes apartment hunting with Josie and Kelton. The couple is leaning towards a one bedroom that is “pretty,” as Josie puts it. “I think if we have two bedrooms, we might have a little too many people wanting to spend the night,” she says.

“There’s going to be a huge void in the house, but I think that God’s probably been preparing us…to let go because as the wedding gets closer, Josie’s working more and more hours trying to save more and more money,” says Kelly. “So she’s really been out of the house a lot more.”

“I think moving out from living in a house that has like 25 people nonstop is definitely going to be a change, especially for me,” says Josie. “But I’m quite excited about it being just quiet and clean, yes clean!”

The second apartment that they visit is beautiful but expensive, but it’s minutes from Josie’s work.

Back at the house, Gil and Nathan help Jackson fix his 1993 Ford pickup. “Jackson loves his new truck,” says Callie. “He’s crazy about it.” He has been working with contractor Chad for about a year and has saved up his money. Jackson estimates that he will have about $1,500 in it by the time it’s ready to drive.

The guys end up discovering another problem that will require some more time to fix. “Yep, this is going to be a project,” says Gil.

Kelly, Josie, and three of the bridesmaids (Whitney, Carlin, and friend Courtney) drive up to Mt. Sterling, Kentucky, to visit wedding dress designer Renee so she can alter the dress that Josie bought in New York City. The other two bridesmaids are Alyssa Webster and Ariana Balka, Kelton’s sister.

The seam that needs to be let out has no seam allowance, so Renee has to cut some seams so she can give Josie more room to move her arms. “I’m closing my eyes,” says Josie. “I can’t handle it.”

The bridesmaids try on their dresses, which are floor length and in the same color family but not identical. Katie’s dress is a very different color and makes her look like a potato, as she says. “Do not let your mom order your bridesmaid dress online from China!” says Katie.

“Katie looks beautiful in anything, even the potato sack, but it’s probably not her 100 percent best look,” says Josie.

Lots of Katie in this episode. They may have to move the storyline more and more toward her with Carlin marrying in May and Josie married unless the boys are going to start getting married.  She looks so much like Erin. 

7 hours ago, miss_batson said:

So the family gathers together on Isaiah’s birthday, under the pretense of celebrating him. When Kelly announces that it’s time to give Isaiah “birthday praises,” he stands up and Kelly shout’s “Wrong birthday! We’re really celebrating Katie!”

Wait...so it's Isaiah birthday too, and she says "sorry dude, we're really celebrating your sister's?" That ought to be the saddest thing ever for poor Isaiah! Am I misunderstanding? Disclaimer: I haven't seen the episode. 

Kate hates being the center of attention so they decided to make her the center of attention. 

38 minutes ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

Wait...so it's Isaiah birthday too, and she says "sorry dude, we're really celebrating your sister's?" That ought to be the saddest thing ever for poor Isaiah! Am I misunderstanding? Disclaimer: I haven't seen the episode. 

No, from what I can tell he was part of the planning process and knew in advance that they were planning to celebrate Katie that day. The recap states that they're planning to celebrate him later, so he won't get left out. Katie got bait and switched, not Isaiah.

If Josie and K are planning to have babies, why do they rent a 1 bedroom appartment? It's not easy to move with a baby! Why not to look for a 2 bedroom one?

And no doubt she's Alyssa II. She don't want relatives staying at her home! Love when she implied that Bates home is noisy and dirty. 

3 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

If Josie and K are planning to have babies, why do they rent a 1 bedroom appartment? It's not easy to move with a baby! Why not to look for a 2 bedroom one?

And no doubt she's Alyssa II. She don't want relatives staying at her home! Love when she implied that Bates home is noisy and dirty. 

That's what I was wondering too. 

Wasn't it a thing that her birthday was Josie's wedding day? Or have I mixed dates? Does she want attention or no? Who should we be BEC at?

7 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Wasn't it a thing that her birthday was Josie's wedding day? Or have I mixed dates? Does she want attention or no? Who should we be BEC at?

No, you're right, Josie's wedding was on Katie's actual birthday (October 5), while Isaiah's birthday is October 16. 

I don't think they ever said that this party was actually *on* Katie's birthday, just that it was near both of their birthdays. The confusion is probably just related to more timeline weirdness on the show, since I have suspicions that the apartment and hunting and the trip to Miz Renee's must have been much sooner than this "birthday party". 

Especially since Katie posted pictures that look like their from after the birthday party (given the clothes and the balloons) on October 20th, which is substantially after the wedding. And she says she's "barely 18" in the promo video posted on February 8th. 

Didn’t Katie want to be a nurse? Has that been addressed at all on the show? I don’t get UP tv so rely on the updates here. Perhaps the nursing program was more expensive so she chose cosmetology as a way to earn money for nursing school. Or her family and pastor convinced Katie to not go into nursing...

37 minutes ago, Markie said:

Or her family and pastor convinced Katie to not go into nursing...

I'm going to guess it is this. 

2 hours ago, Markie said:

Didn’t Katie want to be a nurse? Has that been addressed at all on the show? I don’t get UP tv so rely on the updates here. Perhaps the nursing program was more expensive so she chose cosmetology as a way to earn money for nursing school. Or her family and pastor convinced Katie to not go into nursing...

It really wasn't addressed, from what I can tell. She was saying she wanted to be a nurse, and then maybe two months later, she started the cosmetology program. I understand that people change their minds all the time, especially teenagers, but come on. Within two months, she'd decided to be a cosmetologist (conveniently the same thing her sister is doing) instead of a nurse?! I don't buy for a second that that was really her own decision.

44 minutes ago, JillyO said:

. I understand that people change their minds all the time, especially teenagers, but come on. Within two months, she'd decided to be a cosmetologist (conveniently the same thing her sister is doing) instead of a nurse?! I don't buy for a second that that was really her own decision.

I think the two possibilities that it was her decision was that A. She realized that she the Science Department of the Bates Dining Room Academy hadn't prepared her for nursing classes [even Crown's Nursing for Jesus classes] and she felt academically over her head OR  B. She realized she was squeamish about medical stuff

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I think the two possibilities that it was her decision was that A. She realized that she the Science Department of the Bates Dining Room Academy hadn't prepared her for nursing classes [even Crown's Nursing for Jesus classes] and she felt academically over her head OR  B. She realized she was squeamish about medical stuff

THIS. Also another possibility is that she in fact is geting to know someone and dont see herself waiting for 4 years until she finishes her degree like Carlin, and have seen how well it worked for Josie doing cosmetology. In this regard i want to mention this Logan guy that seems to work with Chad and the Bates. At his insta he has a photo with Katie (and Trace and his sister, so maybe its nothing and he is just a friend).

I think it's very possible Katie saw how much money Josie is making after just a year of school and decided she wants that for herself too. Or at least that made any nudging her parents were doing a lot easier. Cosmetology is a good trade that can support her and a few kids.  I think it's great that she chose that instead of some degree of biblical studies with very limited earning potential. 

Also hearing about Josie wanting a one-bedroom makes me think that they might actually wait a minute for kids.  Maybe she and Kelton have decided it's okay to save up some money and get some time alone together first.  I don't want to get overly hopeful though, so we'll see, I guess. 

I was thinking that Gil and Kelly were like nope but they phrased it as "Katie pray on it" as like a guilt thing to make her not want to do nursing but the possibilities are endless!

15 hours ago, JillyO said:

It really wasn't addressed, from what I can tell. She was saying she wanted to be a nurse, and then maybe two months later, she started the cosmetology program. I understand that people change their minds all the time, especially teenagers, but come on. Within two months, she'd decided to be a cosmetologist (conveniently the same thing her sister is doing) instead of a nurse?! I don't buy for a second that that was really her own decision.

In the very first United Bates of America season, a very young Katie was talking about how since Erin was going to college most of the other kids would end up going now too and she said she wanted to be a nurse then. 

You can definitely have a baby in a 1-bedroom apartment, so they could live in the cheap apartment for 2 or more years to save money. Sounds clever to me. 

11 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

You can definitely have a baby in a 1-bedroom apartment, so they could live in the cheap apartment for 2 or more years to save money. Sounds clever to me. 

True, but they picked a complex that was at the top of their budget. (According to them) . This choice was not about saving money, it was about sacrificing space to live in an updated complex with all of the amenities.  I have zero problem with that, just wanted to clear up the motivation.

Yup, they wanted the nicer apartment. I can't blame them for that. Rents in Knoxville are not high, so it probably isn't too much of a stretch for them to afford.

On 2/12/2019 at 2:23 PM, wandering woman said:

Yup, they wanted the nicer apartment. I can't blame them for that. Rents in Knoxville are not high, so it probably isn't too much of a stretch for them to afford.

If she continues to get pregnant so quickly, they may have to move out of that one-bedroom sooner rather than later. YOu can certainly live in a one-bedroom with a baby, though. (done it myself)

I think it's very possible Katie saw how much money Josie is making

How much is she making? I have a friend who studied cosmetotology. She told me she made $9/hour for the first couple of years! Maybe Josie makes more because of the show?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived