IGNORED

Dullards 63: Law School Participation Trophy

VaSportsMom

On 8/17/2018 at 4:11 PM, VBOY9977 said:

Edit: jill posted the back of the book with the description and it’s exactly what I imagined

CD10541E-0441-4767-8330-363366ED3987.jpeg.d5459b2007661edf181004fbd4d51784.jpeg

"As a kid, I knew somehow my life would have to involve art," says Joel, who never expected he would be reduced to painting toothy hyperrealistic toddlers hearing for the first time that God only loves babies with heterosexual parents.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the police were interviewing the little Duggars during the Josh scandal, one (or more) of them used the words "pee pee holder". Apparently the Duggars did not believe in using the correct terminology, or even a common euphemism.

On 8/17/2018 at 10:36 PM, singsingsing said:

So then God designed intersex people exactly as they are, right? Right, Jill?

Seriously, I always wonder what various fundies would do if they had an intersex child. It's not as uncommon as people think.

I know exactly what they'd do. If it was detected at  birth they'd correct, surgically and immediately. Then never speak of it again but carry around a dreadful anxiety about the child being some sort of homo, which will probably manifest in aggressively policing their behaviour and inexplicably flying off the handle at normal developmental milestones.

If it was discovered later - probably, let's face it, as a result of fertility struggles - there's no way they'd ever own it or talk about it. The intersex person would feel awful shame and damage, take refuge in the madder aspects of their religion, and probably go on adoption safari to atone for their reproductive (ie moral) failure.

God, I've just depressed myself.

15 hours ago, xlurker said:

That was my thought also.  When I did children's haircuts they had baskets of toys, kids movies to watch, "rides" to sit on (horse/motorcycle/trains/cars etc) the hairdressers being silly and the promise of a lollypop and balloon.  Cutting a child's hair is not the same as being an adult hairdresser--although if you can cut a kid's hair you can do just about anything!  The kid's we cut were allowed to move and wiggle--we just had to move with them.  We all we trained in not only the fastest way to cut a child's hair, but more importantly the safest way.  

I wish adults could have that much fun at the hairdresser! Dang. No fair. We should also get stickers when we get shots like little kids do. Being an adult sucks.

43 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I wish adults could have that much fun at the hairdresser!

I've been known to cut a mom or two on the horse  :D

I realized I've been gone for a while, but I'm gobsmacked no one has mentioned Jill's nose ring?!  Y'all...Jill has a nose ring!  Even if it's just a pasted on ring, what the heck made her decide to decorate her nose?!  I've searched for the conversation on FJ, I know I'm not the only one thinking it-wtf?!  

If it's been addressed and spoken of ad nauseaum already, please excuse me.

4 minutes ago, violynn said:

I realized I've been gone for a while, but I'm gobsmacked no one has mentioned Jill's nose ring?!  Y'all...Jill has a nose ring!  Even if it's just a pasted on ring, what the heck made her decide to decorate her nose?!  I've searched for the conversation on FJ, I know I'm not the only one thinking it-wtf?!  

Oh yes she has one and it's real. she's had it about a year now. nose rings and skinny jeans seem to be Jill's thing now. it all started when Derick went to that missionary program probably to make herself fit in better. and yes she wears the nose ring around the Duggars. 

6 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Oh yes she has one and it's real. she's had it about a year now. nose rings and skinny jeans seem to be Jill's thing now. it all started when Derick went to that missionary program probably to make herself fit in better. and yes she wears the nose ring around the Duggars. 

Oh holy crap!  Skinny jeans too???!  Wow, I've missed major events.  I'll start chasing down old threads now, thank you, @Ivycoveredtower

10 minutes ago, violynn said:

Oh holy crap!  Skinny jeans too???!  Wow, I've missed major events.  I'll start chasing down old threads now, thank you, @Ivycoveredtower

here is one picture 

I just saw Derick’s Instagram confirmation on attending law school and realized I am late to the party.

Can someone help me out?

Where is Derick getting money to pay this tuition and how on earth will he be supporting his family for three years while attending law school full time?

I didn’t think Derick was smart enough to take LSAT. I hope he understands he will need to pass the bar.

DFC7A2B0-A7C2-496C-807D-911F0BAAF501.jpeg

Just now, luv2laugh said:

I just saw Derick’s Instagram confirmation on attending law school and realized I am late to the party.

Can someone help me out?

Where is Derick getting money to pay this tuition and how on earth will he be supporting his family while attending law school full time?

DFC7A2B0-A7C2-496C-807D-911F0BAAF501.jpeg

no one one really knows. some speculate that he's blackmailing JIm bob to pay for it. 

2 hours ago, xlurker said:

I've been known to cut a mom or two on the horse  :D

Ok, I never thought I might find cutting hair interesting, but this made it: if you ever write a memoir, I'll buy it! :goldfish:

1 hour ago, violynn said:

It has.  :)

Contrary to popular belief here, nose rings are considered to be just hunky dory by many Fundies.  They were mentioned in Genesis.  If it is OK for Abraham's servant to give Rebekah a nose ring as the intended of Isaac then it is fine for Jill to wear one.  Genesis 24, IIRC.

31 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:
2 hours ago, violynn said:

It was a fun few pages while we debated whether it really was a nose ring! :my_biggrin: "Yes, it is!" "No, it isn't!" "Yes, it is!" 

5 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

It was a fun few pages while we debated whether it really was a nose ring! :my_biggrin: "Yes, it is!" "No, it isn't!" "Yes, it is!" 

I saw once I went in digging for the first nose stud sighting!  Well, good for her, whether she got it to fit in with the cool kids at college or she just got a wild hair and had it done.  Heavens knows she's got the hair for it ;)

1 hour ago, luv2laugh said:

Can someone help me out?

Where is Derick getting money to pay this tuition and how on earth will he be supporting his family for three years while attending law school full time?

I didn’t think Derick was smart enough to take LSAT. I hope he understands he will need to pass the bar.

I'm an attorney and recent former law student (graduated last year). One thing I can tell you is that people rarely pay full sticker price for law school. Depending on your LSAT score, undergrad GPA, and other factors, some people  go to law school on close to a full ride and most people get at least some merit scholarship money from their school. You don't even have to actively ask for it from the school or apply for it... When you're accepted, you are informed of your scholarship amount in the very same letter. It's one way the schools compete against each other for applicants. 

That being said, of course we still have a lot of question marks regarding who's paying the other expenses in the Dillards' lives, but the tuition may not be very significant. 

45 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Contrary to popular belief here, nose rings are considered to be just hunky dory by many Fundies.  They were mentioned in Genesis.  If it is OK for Abraham's servant to give Rebekah a nose ring as the intended of Isaac then it is fine for Jill to wear one.  Genesis 24, IIRC.

That story exists, but that doesn't stop fundies from debating whether nose rings really are acceptable or not! Or from looking down on women who have nose rings. That was a big debate in my circle for a little while, and a lot of fundies definitely don't think that the story of Isaac and Rebecca means nose rings are acceptable today. I remember thinking it was such a dumb thing to debate. :pb_lol:

11 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

That story exists, but that doesn't stop fundies from debating whether nose rings really are acceptable or not! Or from looking down on women who have nose rings. That was a big debate in my circle for a little while, and a lot of fundies definitely don't think that the story of Isaac and Rebecca means nose rings are acceptable today. I remember thinking it was such a dumb thing to debate. :pb_lol:

Long may they debate stupid things.  It distracts them from achieving dominion over the earth.  :D

I was just pointing out that all Fundies are not alike, and nose-rings are acceptable and justified by Genesis by those that decide to wear them.   It is  also a fun example of Fundies cherry-picking the Bible.  

We've noticed nose piercings on several Fundies that we've covered, but only when Jill is the first Duggar to pierce her nose does FJ have kittens.   Tattoos are gaining ground in some Fundie circles too.  Leviticus is against them.

I wonder if JB is paying the Dillards a “Duggar stipend” of sorts as if they were still appearing on Counting On and taking it from the rumored Duggar Trust Fund that he controls. Maybe JB offered this agreement to keep Derick’s mouth shut and had him sign an NDA as part of the plan.

16 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Some of us thought the nose ring might be a giant zit. *Raises hand*.

I was Team Giant Zit as well. 

1 hour ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

I'm an attorney and recent former law student (graduated last year). One thing I can tell you is that people rarely pay full sticker price for law school. Depending on your LSAT score, undergrad GPA, and other factors, some people  go to law school on close to a full ride and most people get at least some merit scholarship money from their school. You don't even have to actively ask for it from the school or apply for it... When you're accepted, you are informed of your scholarship amount in the very same letter. It's one way the schools compete against each other for applicants. 

That being said, of course we still have a lot of question marks regarding who's paying the other expenses in the Dillards' lives, but the tuition may not be very significant. 

This absolutely floors me because it's the exact opposite of my experience. I went to a Tier 1 law school and paid full price, leaving school with 6 figure debt. There were almost no scholarships available to law students from 3rd parties or through the school I went to. I knew almost no one who got scholarship help. I graduated about 10 years ago. I wonder if the market for lawyers falling out forced schools to start ponying up.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived