IGNORED

Dullards 63: Law School Participation Trophy

VaSportsMom

33 minutes ago, sparklymagie said:

This absolutely floors me because it's the exact opposite of my experience. I went to a Tier 1 law school and paid full price, leaving school with 6 figure debt. There were almost no scholarships available to law students from 3rd parties or through the school I went to. I knew almost no one who got scholarship help. I graduated about 10 years ago. I wonder if the market for lawyers falling out forced schools to start ponying up.

I know someone who graduated a year or two ago and has like $300,000 in debt...

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/18/2018 at 9:11 AM, louisa05 said:

f we hadn't been there and been honest with her, I think she would have been raped at some point that fall mostly for lack of understanding what kind of situation she was putting herself in (not that women are responsible for being raped--but a girl who has no idea what sex is or what a perv wants making those kinds of invitations is unknowingly putting herself in a bad situation) or what would be happening. I don't know if she would have understood that she could say no and she may have been too shocked and confused to protect herself or object.

I read the beginning and I stepped away. I read more and stepped away again.

As someone who did the resident advisor (medical emergency person, don't fall through the cracks person, have some meal swipes person, oh honey person, let's get you to understand person) route in college, I cannot thank you enough for the time you took with this young woman.

You handled an unexpected responsibility that wasn't yours with candidness, understanding, humor and grace. 

2 hours ago, sparklymagie said:

This absolutely floors me because it's the exact opposite of my experience. I went to a Tier 1 law school and paid full price, leaving school with 6 figure debt. There were almost no scholarships available to law students from 3rd parties or through the school I went to. I knew almost no one who got scholarship help. I graduated about 10 years ago. I wonder if the market for lawyers falling out forced schools to start ponying up.

I think 2008 or so is a big dividing line in the law school experience in a lot of ways based on people I have talked to who went to law school in the early 2000s. 

I applied to schools from the bottom of the T14 through the 20s and ended up going to a T20 on a significant scholarship but a couple schools ranked a little bit behind the one I chose offered me close to a full ride. Everyone at my school had at least some merit scholarship dollars thrown at them besides the transfer students who did pay sticker.

This isn't everyone's experience for sure, and law school tends to be expensive, but it doesn't *have* to be an outlandish pit of debt is, I guess, what I'm saying. I have friends in severe debt that could have avoided it if they had gone to a school that offered them more money. Now they are forced to stick with Biglaw for a few years even if they hate life because of their debt.

Wreck probably doesn't have a full ride to University of Arkansas Law but I also highly doubt he's paying sticker, so quoting the tuition listed online really doesn't give us a good idea of what he's paying. My guess would be that the biggest financial hit is coming from a) the opportunity cost of him going to school and not working, b) his family's living expenses. But he's basically been in a dubious state employment-wise since he left Walmart so maybe this isn't that different from before for them.

Here's an article that kind of goes into what I'm talking about re: tuition

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/paying/articles/2017-11-20/law-schools-shell-out-deep-tuition-discounts-to-students

Yeah, count me in for team over 200k of debt. But mine also includes undergrad. Law school is not even remotely cheap, especially when you count in that most of us didn't work while in school. R

I feel paranoid, because after reading and being a part of the conversation here I've gotten law school related video recommendations on YouTube. :think: One of them is pretty entertaining though, apart from law school tips he also rates legal drama tv shows and films.

37 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

One of them is pretty entertaining though, apart from law school tips he also rates legal drama tv shows and films.

Just curious, but what channel is the entertaining one? I'd love to watch it!

1 minute ago, Perrierwithlemon said:

Just curious, but what channel is the entertaining one? I'd love to watch it!

LegalEagle! Here's one of his react videos:

And honestly, I went down the rabbit hole and watched non-react videos of his, and they're still pretty entertaining even though I don't care about going to law school for one bit!

18 hours ago, sparklymagie said:

I agree. I went to a Tier 1 school as well, some people got a small amount, but they still ended up with over 100k in debt, if they weren't supporting anyone else at the time.  With 3 defendants there is no way he is getting through for less than 6 figures.  

I started in 2008 (yay class of 2011, who apparently had the worst job prospects, its been fun).  So if that matters that may be helpful.  I was offered a full ride at a much lower ranked school.  So that does happen.  Its a tough choice between the higher ranked school and free.  I wouldn't judge anyone who made a different choice than I did, or someone who accepted the debt.  The school you go to and your ranking in it changes your career prospects, so depending what you want to do, chose wisely.  

I don't think OfJill has ever really considered all the things you need to for this kind of choice, nor has he ever appeared to chose wisely.  

I think that the debt he's potentially putting himself in would be ok, if he were going to work after he finished his law degree. I just don't see Derick working. 

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

I think that the debt he's potentially putting himself in would be ok, if he were going to work after he finished his law degree. I just don't see Derick working. 

Derick screams r/choosingbeggars to me. Give me this! No deliver it to me! Fund my mission trip so I can travel in and out of the country for holidays during it, not focusing in the actual work! I wanna play important! Mweeh! Waaah! Boooohoohooo!

9 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Most lawyers don't make that much.  The debt is life altering for years.  You can be okay, most will be, but its not simple or easy.  They don't seem willing to buckle down financially either, and you need to, along with hard work, to get out of that kind of debt.

18 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

well Jill has followed the Bates girls into the fitbit box. it's all over her instagram story. 

I'm surprised it was Jill and not Jessa, but maybe she can't promote while being on TLC.

1 minute ago, Suz8710 said:

I'm surprised it was Jill and not Jessa, but maybe she can't promote while being on TLC.

I'm actually not surprised Jessa doesn't seem the type to try to sell you something. Jill on the other hand is always trying to sell this or that on her insta. last time it was that weird sex book for toddlers. 

@Ivycoveredtower I agree Jessa seem less likely to sell things but that could be because she can't/is under contract and has been this whole time. That particular box is usually peddled by the "cooler" girls of IG and typically I see more Jessa types promoting those boxes.

20 hours ago, sparklymagie said:

Same experience and I graduated almost 30 years ago. My friends daughter is a 1L and received scholarship offers from several law schools, including a full ride from my alma mater! I was shocked because scholarships were extremely rare back in my day.

On another note:. Law school applications increase upon the realization that any Fucking idiot can become a lawyer.

CE8996E6-3549-44F5-AC7C-2112FCC54E02.jpeg

5 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

I agree. I went to a Tier 1 school as well, some people got a small amount, but they still ended up with over 100k in debt, if they weren't supporting anyone else at the time.  With 3 defendants there is no way he is getting through for less than 6 figures.  

I started in 2008 (yay class of 2011, who apparently had the worst job prospects, its been fun).  So if that matters that may be helpful.  I was offered a full ride at a much lower ranked school.  So that does happen.  Its a tough choice between the higher ranked school and free.  I wouldn't judge anyone who made a different choice than I did, or someone who accepted the debt.  The school you go to and your ranking in it changes your career prospects, so depending what you want to do, chose wisely.  

I don't think OfJill has ever really considered all the things you need to for this kind of choice, nor has he ever appeared to chose wisely.  

I went to a lower T1 that offered me a scholarship for 1/2 my tuition.  There were a couple of us that had taken "go where you know you'll make law review" seriously.  I think Derick can probably finish the 3 years, but unless his actual work ethic is vastly different from what he portrays online, he won't be on LR/moot court.  I'm sure that in Arkansas there's a market for mediocre attorneys from UofA, but I don't think it's going to bring the accolades & big bucks that Derick seems to feel he's due. 

I shouldn't be surprised, but it's a shame they chose to partner with someone whose husband harassed a teenage girl online. (We know she shares the same beliefs. I doubt she disagreed with any of that)

4 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

well Jill has followed the Bates girls into the fitbit box. it's all over her instagram story. 

Oh no... it's... the emojis... she's becoming a Hun...

7 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

Oh no... it's... the emojis... she's becoming a Hun...

I'm actually kind of surprised she hasn't jumped on the MLM train yet. She has a huge audience from which to draw potential vicctims customers and people for her downline. I could easily see her shilling essential oils, ugly overpriced leggings, or questionable 'health supplements'.

Maybe Derick can become the Duggars' consigliere  like Tom Hagen in the Godfather. Just watched it again last night.

@finnlassie,  I'm a bit disappointed that LegalEagle didn't cover some of the old school TV lawyers.  I've been a fan of Perry Mason for years and usually catch both the morning and night episodes on ME TV.  The American Bar Association gave Perry Mason their Silver Gavel award in 1960 for outstanding work in helping the  comprehension of jurisprudence in the United States.   Several films that have won the award are 12 Angry Men,  Judgement at Nuremberg, and To Kill a Mockingbird.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

m actually kind of surprised she hasn't jumped on the MLM train yet.

You and me both, it seems fairly popular among their circle of acquaintances. Or the Etsy crafting train, most of my fundie light cousins have a niche (engraving, stamping, wedding crafts, etc.)

I'm not saying Jill should join her Plexus loving name twin or start doing cupcakes in a jar with dipped strawberries, but she could.

15 hours ago, finnlassie said:

LegalEagle! Here's one of his react videos:

And honestly, I went down the rabbit hole and watched non-react videos of his, and they're still pretty entertaining even though I don't care about going to law school for one bit!

I found a similar react channel from a doctor who reacted to medical TV shows. He, like my brother, found Scrubs to be the most accurate of all  

5 hours ago, Ralar said:

Didn’t twirly mustache dude/western movie villain go to Harvard or something? Sorry, I can’t remember his name. But doesn’t he look like some sort of rich banker or something in a western that takes advantage of hardworking folk, keeping them impoverished, while trying to push Native Americans off their land so he can mine it and sell more coal?

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I'm actually kind of surprised she hasn't jumped on the MLM train yet. She has a huge audience from which to draw potential vicctims customers and people for her downline. I could easily see her shilling essential oils, ugly overpriced leggings, or questionable 'health supplements'.

Maybe JRod can recruit her lmao

18 minutes ago, cascarones said:

You and me both, it seems fairly popular among their circle of acquaintances. Or the Etsy crafting train, most of my fundie light cousins have a niche (engraving, stamping, wedding crafts, etc.)

I'm not saying Jill should join her Plexus loving name twin or start doing cupcakes in a jar with dipped strawberries, but she could.

Based on her attempts at being a mommy blogger, she’d sell dirty diapers and call it art

6 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I'm actually not surprised Jessa doesn't seem the type to try to sell you something. Jill on the other hand is always trying to sell this or that on her insta. last time it was that weird sex book for toddlers. 

At least Jill's got the proper sponsorship/partner notifications on this post and isn't stealth shilling here, so she can't be faulted for that, if nothing else.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived