IGNORED

Maxwell 22: Maxhell University Coursework

Coconut Flan

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m sure Anna just loves climbing out of the bed in the dark at 2am to pee. It’s the highlight of her night!

Since it isn't on her schedule, she doesn't have to get up at night to pee.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Dru said:

I'm sure you're right. Way back in the mom's board days Teri said that husbands and male siblings were not to change the girls' diapers. I can't remember her exact words but it definitely implied that the male could be led into temptation.

Teri had obviously forgotten what they smell like. Also that is making me wonder a lot about Steve - is he really worried he'll be turned on by an infant? If so it's probably a good thing he decided to cloister himself from society. (Yeah I know, he's just too much of an arsehole to change diapers and came up with some bullshit excuse.)

10 hours ago, spork78 said:

if the kidults had gone to college, they'd likely be sharing bunk beds with several people in a dorm room. That's a normal experience.

Really? I didn't realise that dorms were the norm for college. For some reason I thought they were more a TV scenario, like married couples in twin beds used to be. University accommodation here is one bed per (smaller than a shoebox) room. No (official) sharing.

14 hours ago, Foudeb said:

And the thing is, nuns can be very happy! It can be a good and fulfilling life! But they are allowed to pick their order.

And they often get their own rooms! No sharing! Private space!

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

Really? I didn't realise that dorms were the norm for college. For some reason I thought they were more a TV scenario, like married couples in twin beds used to be. University accommodation here is one bed per (smaller than a shoebox) room. No (official) sharing.

I haven't personally seen bunk beds in a dorm in real life, but I am sure they exist in some places. All of my friends and relatives that lived on campus had a roommate in the dorms though. They all went to school on the West Coast or the Midwest if it matters. 

My daughter is going to be studying for a short time in Japan and there she will have her own (very tiny) room. 

Anyway, in any case as far as we know, Sarah had her own room for 6 whole weeks while Anna and Mary were gone. Unless they sent a niece or two over, which wouldn't shock me. 

11 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

He's a guy. Next point? lol

No, what I'm saying is, if their family setup were reversed, so they had three men and one woman were left at home, presumably they would have the men share a room and the one woman would get her own because what else could you do? So (as evidenced by Jesse by himself, and Sarah while Anna and Mary are away) they are not completely against either men or women having their own rooms. So why not give Sarah one?

4 minutes ago, meee said:

So why not give Sarah one?

Because Sarah "loves" to share a room with her 10+ years younger sisters, just as they all "choose" to reside at home while waiting for their future spouse to appear on their doorstep. Fuck you Steve and Teri, fuck you very much!

I'd like to know if Sarah also has her name written on the wall beside her bed. Think about that: going from a communal bedroom with childish wall decals to your own double bed with a near stranger to have sweet fellowship on your wedding day must be so stressful and scary for these extremely shielded SAHDs (at least it would be for me!) that they may prefer to "serve at home."

4 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Really? I didn't realise that dorms were the norm for college. For some reason I thought they were more a TV scenario, like married couples in twin beds used to be. University accommodation here is one bed per (smaller than a shoebox) room. No (official) sharing

I had a roommate in a dorm at college. We didn't have bunk beds, but we created them out of our single beds to give us more room in our tiny space. 

7 minutes ago, bluelady said:

I had a roommate in a dorm at college. We didn't have bunk beds, but we created them out of our single beds to give us more room in our tiny space. 

I have to admit the term 'roommate' confuses me - I always thought it was equivalent to 'flatmate' or 'housemate' where you shared a dwelling but not an actual room. I didn't realise that in this context yes, it was a room! 

And now I have to ask - how did you study? Were there desks in there too? 

I was randomly assigned a roommate in college freshman year. She’s been my best friend since. That rarely happens though. We got lucky. 

Lofted beds were very popular in the dorms. That way you could have a chair or mini fridge under your bed for extra space. 

I am itching to quote Stepbrothers now.

”There’s so much room for activities!”

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

I have to admit the term 'roommate' confuses me - I always thought it was equivalent to 'flatmate' or 'housemate' where you shared a dwelling but not an actual room. I didn't realise that in this context yes, it was a room! 

Two of my uni years were spent on the top bunk.  Other years we opted to unstack the beds & have two singles. Yes, we each had a desk, a dresser & a small closet. If you have bunkedbeds instead of 2 singles, you have more room to bring in things like a sofa, refrigerator, etc.  For studying, there were of course campus libraries, and coffee shops, and shared lounge spaces in the dormitories--and in good weather, sitting under a tree on the campus grounds (man, I miss that).

However, I did pull a groin muscle once while climbing off my top bunk while slightly tipsy to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. That, I do not miss!!

4 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

going from a communal bedroom with childish wall decals to your own double bed with a near stranger to have sweet fellowship on your wedding day must be so stressful and scary for these extremely shielded SAHDs (at least it would be for me!) that they may prefer to "serve at home." 

But God if God calls her to marriage she would never ignore Him. She will endure it all to please Him [and Steve]. And, like countless wives in days gone by, she will adapt and adjust and may even come to enjoy it all. It is her faith that will get her thru it. And even if that happened at 41 and the man was 65 she'd go forth and hope to procreate. She knows nothing else. It's a very sad way to be brought up to my mind. But to Sarah, Anna and Mary it is all they know and all they TRUST. If Daddy says "this is the one --God told me he's for you," then they will be like a normal child on Christmas. Sad. I just hope if it happens one of the sisters-in-law will be very, very frank about what all will happen when the bedroom door closes. After all, she's submitted to her father's authority for 30+ years--that part will be a piece of cake!

2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Yep, roommate in an actual room all through college, every college I've seen or visited in the US! There usually are some single rooms to be had, but they cost extra. At my college we had 2 people per room, and 2 rooms connected by a bathroom, so 4 people per "suite". Except my senior year, where we had 2 people per room and one large hall bathroom for everyone. At my sister's college a suite was 4 rooms, 2 people each, on a short hallway leading to a bathroom with a couple showers and toilets.

We never had bunk beds - all the beds were twins and some of the dorms had them on built-in platforms that didn't move, but our rooms were on the slightly larger side. My sister at the nearby state university had a loft bed in her (smaller) dorm room, so she could put her desk and mini-fridge under it. In my freshman room I had no desk, but this was before everyone had computers so I just studied on my bed or the floor or went to the parlor down the hall. Later we got computer labs in each dorm, so we could use those if needed. Senior year i had a built-in desk, but rarely sat at it. I just used a lap desk thing most of the time (and was spending many hours in the art building at that point, I had fewer papers and more art projects that year).

If you didn't request a specific roommate, you were assigned one Freshman year. They used the Meyers-Briggs I think to help pair people up at my school, other schools it was random. I ended up with a stranger who had my same name. We got along fine, but didn't room together again after that year. I ended up closer friends with one of my suite mates, and ended up rooming the next year with a friend from down the hall with that one suite mate and another down-the-hall friend as our suite mates. We're all still Facebook friends as we don't live near one another anymore.

It's cool how things we take for granted don't always translate across countries, I enjoy learning things like that!

8 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Yes, you usually have a desk in your room, along with your bed, dresser/shelves, wardrobe/closet, and whatever else. Bathrooms are communal. There's usually a trunk room for extra storage. Here's what a standard dorm looks like at my alma mater:

image.thumb.png.a49a7ef62c1840e5c82107d9f8dfe874.png

8 hours ago, HereticHick said:

For studying, there were of course campus libraries, and coffee shops, and shared lounge spaces in the dormitories--and in good weather, sitting under a tree on the campus grounds (man, I miss that).

I have to admit to writing several essays the night before they were due and spending all night doing so... I would have needed some 24/7 coffee shops (or to get more organised, that might also have worked!)

I went to find photos of a typical college room here and found this one - one bed, cupboard would be behind the photographer, couldn't swing a cat. Shared bathrooms per floor (from memory we had 2-3 per 10 rooms). I was going to ask how it worked with roommates coming back after a night out but then remembered the drinking age, which possibly makes it less of a hassle.

Student-bedroom-2.jpg

2 hours ago, freethemall said:

Yes, you usually have a desk in your room, along with your bed, dresser/shelves, wardrobe/closet, and whatever else. Bathrooms are communal. There's usually a trunk room for extra storage. Here's what a standard dorm looks like at my alma mater:

image.thumb.png.a49a7ef62c1840e5c82107d9f8dfe874.png

That’s huge compared to mine in college. But I’ve actually never seen a double occupancy dorm room smaller than mine was. It’s probably why so many people lofted their beds. 

Back in the dark age of the 70s at UGA,  there were several options as far as dorm rooms:  the frosh dorms (Crewell, Russell, and Brumby),  the women's dorms at Myers Quad, the men's dorms at Reed Quad, the Mell-Lipscomb Living-Learning Community and the other small dorms of the Hill Community, and the dorm for grad women.  I don't think there was one for male grad students.  There was also a private dorm and McWhirter Hall which was for scholarship athletes.  Married Housing (aka University Village) was apartments for married students; they had a daycare there my freshman year.  One unique housing option were the Home Ec cottages where students (mostly women) majoring in Home Ec would spend a quarter.  I thought they were very cool.  None of the dorms had suites, just large communal bathrooms.  Reed had bunk beds, but none of the women's dorms did.  I loved frosh year in Mell, lived off-campus for a year and then moved into Creswell for two years.  Creswell may have had mostly frosh women as residents, but I liked it.  It also had a number of African-American students and I just found  the community of the dorm to my liking.  The top floor of Creswell had 24 hour Quiet Hours and no men were allowed ever.  We all thought it sounded like our idea of hell.  I liked the Myers dorms as lot, but I didn't like that, if you lived in Mary Lyndon,  you were asked to shout "SHOWER!" before you flushed the toilet so that people showering would not get scalded.

11 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Roommate here kind of refers to any people sharing a living space. I've had roommates where we lived in apartments. In this case, it was a tiny room. We each had a single bed, a desk, and a closet with built in drawers. Each side was the mirror image of the other - closet, then bed, then desk all lined up against the wall. We bunker our beds and pushed them up against the far wall, in front of the window. In the space where my roommate's bed had been we put our desks side by side. That freed up the space where my bed had been for a small chair and a mini fridge. We were taking some classes together so we studied together some, but I often went to the library. 

Now I’m remembering the dorms... 

The hallways for the men’s dorms smelled like straight ass. It was so nasty. The hallways for the girls dorms smelled fine. I don’t think men fart or sweat that much more than females. I think their bathing and cleaning habits sucked though. I refuse to raise males that don’t know how to clean up or wash their ass on a regular basis. 

I've studied at two Canadian universities and did an exchange at one in the UK and all of them had lots of shared dorms.  

I always paid more for the single rooms though.  Even shared living spaces  I've been assigned some real nutjobs.  Surely others have gotten assigned to the "all night partier the night before exams", "the one who eats all your food and doesn't tidy up," or my personal favourite, "the girl who clatters in at 3 am drunk every night with a new 'boyfriend' for loud sex followed by the requisite 5 am phone call home to her sister."  

This is the second post in a row that says “more on the fair later”. That post better be good. 

Also, why don’t they let Sarah live with Gigi? She could use the support, the remaining Reversals are more than enough support for Teri even if her depression is more severe than they let on. Sarah would have more freedom to write, and hopefully be allowed more internet and reading freedom which would help her come up with way more interesting content. Steve’s control issues are going to drive his family’s livelihood into the ground.

It’s disturbing that I am rationalizing a middle-ground scenario like this for Sarah. Moving into Grandma’s house as a stepping stone to independence makes sense for someone half her age. Having books and internet monitored the Maxhellian way makes sense for no one. But she is so brainwashed, it would take baby steps to get her out of Steve’s clutches. 

On 8/1/2018 at 6:12 AM, LurkerOverThePond said:

No, I haven't forgotten that. I know there are rigid gender roles in that family, and that's why I said Chris still is the stick-in-the-ass fundamentalist with strict gender roles even for toddlers, complete with full length leggings under those frumpers for his little girls.

Of course I'm just speculating, especially since Chris seems to be the most fundie of all the married Maxwell offspring, but I have a feeling he helps around the house at least a little bit. Probably out of necessity, because there's no way NR Anna simply can manage it all, but even that's more than some other fundie men we follow (like Duggar men). Of course he's not perfect, far from it, but I think he's not the worst, either.

Maxwell men are trained to help around the house. I don’t think they are as gendered in those domains as people think.

29 minutes ago, dripcurl said:

Also, why don’t they let Sarah live with Gigi?

Who will read Anna and Mary their bedtime story?

Dorms rarely come with bunk beds, but to get more floor space students often stack their beds. One way to turn two twin beds (of certain styles) into bunk beds is to flip the head and foot boards upside down on one bed. So one bed has its legs sticking up, if that makes sense, and it's the bottom bunk. Take 4 pieces of PVC sewer pipe of a diameter that will fit over the legs and that is 2x the length of the legs (from the cross pieces), put the pipes over the legs of the bottom bunk and then set the other bed frame on top, nesting its legs into the pipes.  If done correctly it's sturdy enough but there are still none of the usual safety features of bunk beds, like a side rail or a ladder so some schools don't permit modifications like this.

1 hour ago, acheronbeach said:

I've studied at two Canadian universities and did an exchange at one in the UK and all of them had lots of shared dorms.  

I always paid more for the single rooms though.  Even shared living spaces  I've been assigned some real nutjobs.  Surely others have gotten assigned to the "all night partier the night before exams", "the one who eats all your food and doesn't tidy up," or my personal favourite, "the girl who clatters in at 3 am drunk every night with a new 'boyfriend' for loud sex followed by the requisite 5 am phone call home to her sister."  

Oh man, I had this roommate too. Except she had a long-distance boyfriend who would come and visit, and I'd have to spend a week pretending I didn't hear her bang every Tom, Dick, and Harry at the school. Plus, she was from another country, so the phone would ring at all hours of the day and night. Good times. 

At my college, freshmen were more likely to have the tiny dorms with bunks. An example below - 4aa5a2c451ed4045cb123fc9f1c8e90a.jpg

3 minutes ago, bertnee said:

At my college, freshmen were more likely to have the tiny dorms with bunks. An example below - 4aa5a2c451ed4045cb123fc9f1c8e90a.jpg

That's just way too many people in too small a space.

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived