IGNORED

Jinjer 40: Still Waiting for the Baby

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

You grew up eating instant grits and deli fried chicken.

I sure did. Yep. And there's nothing wrong with that. Period.

This (is it food-shaming? parenting-shaming?) has been beaten to fucking DEATH on FJ. Nobody deserves to be shamed/made fun of/ostracized for the foods THEIR PARENTS fed them. 

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I sure did. Yep. And there's nothing wrong with that. Period.

This (is it food-shaming? parenting-shaming?) has been beaten to fucking DEATH on FJ. Nobody deserves to be shamed/made fun of/ostracized for the foods THEIR PARENTS fed them. 

That's lovely. Except that we grew up about 50 miles apart for the majority of our lives solidly in the Midwest and her parents were only 60 miles from their hometown, so honestly, a bit odd around here. They aren't from the South. 

She food shames me. She went on a rant to me awhile back about how I "don't understand nutrition or the need for fresh produce". Except that I grew up in a household where we never had a store bought tomato, ear of corn or green bean because it was all from our massive garden and she grew up in a house where they never even had a damn banana and didn't know that you could mash an actual potato. As long as she behaves that way, I reserve the right to say whatever the hell I want about her. When I planted a garden this spring (which I finally can as we are finally homeowners) she emailed my husband to suggest that we "not do that" as I "won't know" what I'm doing and she could bring us extra stuff from her patch in the community garden, especially "since (we) don't really eat anything fresh and probably won't like it". Or there is the fact that she has told so many extended family members that I cannot cook and we eat nothing but frozen dinners that there was mass confusion when I brought a pan of homemade brownies to a family gathering...yeah, I'll say whatever the fuck I want when it comes to her. 

And people who were solidly middle class in an area with access to an abundance of decent food who eat nothing but grilled processed meat, frozen entrees, deli fried chicken and other complete shit because they are too lazy and too ignorant to figure out how to cook anything are a different story than people in poverty, living in food deserts, etc... These people fall into the first category. 

Re: Cracker Barrel? I’ve been to one, once, and was thoroughly underwhelmed. It wasn’t bad, just...not good enough to revisit, I guess? It wasn’t long after that outing that I found out about their history of racism and horrible treatment of employees, so I should probably be glad I didn’t care for the food. 

29 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

That's lovely. Except that we grew up about 50 miles apart for the majority of our lives solidly in the Midwest and her parents were only 60 miles from their hometown, so honestly, a bit odd around here. They aren't from the South. 

She food shames me. She went on a rant to me awhile back about how I "don't understand nutrition or the need for fresh produce". Except that I grew up in a household where we never had a store bought tomato, ear of corn or green bean because it was all from our massive garden and she grew up in a house where they never even had a damn banana and didn't know that you could mash an actual potato. As long as she behaves that way, I reserve the right to say whatever the hell I want about her. When I planted a garden this spring (which I finally can as we are finally homeowners) she emailed my husband to suggest that we "not do that" as I "won't know" what I'm doing and she could bring us extra stuff from her patch in the community garden, especially "since (we) don't really eat anything fresh and probably won't like it". Or there is the fact that she has told so many extended family members that I cannot cook and we eat nothing but frozen dinners that there was mass confusion when I brought a pan of homemade brownies to a family gathering...yeah, I'll say whatever the fuck I want when it comes to her. 

And people who were solidly middle class in an area with access to an abundance of decent food who eat nothing but grilled processed meat, frozen entrees, deli fried chicken and other complete shit because they are too lazy and too ignorant to figure out how to cook anything are a different story than people in poverty, living in food deserts, etc... These people fall into the first category. 

Honestly Sounds like ya’ll have some of food related issues or control issues... dinner choices should not be a cause issues that require family counseling 

I admit to actually liking Cracker Barrel once in a while. Though I do wish they had better coffe, omelettes, and waffles. 

48 minutes ago, justodd said:

Re: Cracker Barrel? I’ve been to one, once, and was thoroughly underwhelmed. It wasn’t bad, just...not good enough to revisit, I guess? It wasn’t long after that outing that I found out about their history of racism and horrible treatment of employees, so I should probably be glad I didn’t care for the food. 

I've been a couple times, was never impressed, it is "home style food" And I personally hate going out to eat for food that I can make just as good (or better) at home for a fraction of the price.  We also have a similar style place in Iowa called The Machine Shed, same concept but it's locally owned, their breakfasts are to DIE FOR, and the rest of the food isn't bad either, it is total kitsch stereo typing everything Iowa, and for the most part we like it. If you are ever passing through on I80 or I35, avoid the Cracker Barrel and stop at ones of these places.

1 hour ago, justodd said:

When one first opened by my house nearly 20 years ago, I ate there a few times. First time it was quite good, next two times not so much..... ham was so dry I could barely chew it. I stopped going. I rarely go out for breakfast and if I do there are tons of great places that are non-chains closer to my house. As for dinners, its not a place a would go to. 

3 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I feel like I was raised with totally different food than Mr. 05. The notion of fried catfish and grits for breakfast is just a big no for me. 

And the irony of that is that his dumbass sister tries to be all pretentious about food and while doing that acts like I'm a moron who can't cook a frozen pizza and has never eaten anything more sophisticated than a hamburger and am, thus, holding her brother's tastes back. No, honey, just no. You grew up eating instant grits and deli fried chicken. I grew up learning to cook real food and having fresh fruits and vegetables at almost every meal. Hell, I had rye bread for my sandwich in my lunch in high school most days while they were eating Wonder Bread and Twinkies. I have elevated her brother's tastes. He won't eat canned soup anymore and his favorite dish is coq au vin. 

FJ:  Come for the snobbery, stay for the sweeping stereotypes! 

It sounds like your family may have been wealthier than your husband's when you were children. How nice of you to rub their noses in it.

You must be a peach to be around at family reunions.

PS It is possible to enjoy both catfish and coq au vin. 

People never believe me when I say that I love eating at Cracker Barrel on the road because it has the healthiest options. The lemon grilled trout with a side of broccoli, carrots, and the Brussel sprout salad is a super healthy and also filling lunch that has never failed me at any of the CBs I've been to. (You just gotta tell them to hold those biscuits!) It also costs less than $10 which is a steal.

I haven't had breakfast there for a while, but I remember they had some healthy options then too like plain yogurt, egg white omelettes, steel cut oatmeal, and sliced fruit. 

I will take Cracker Barrel any day over IHOP, Red Lobster, or Subway, which are all overpriced and really don't have any decent healthy options. (I need more than a small garden salad when I'm hungry!)

2 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

People never believe me when I say that I love eating at Cracker Barrel on the road because it has the healthiest options. The lemon grilled trout with a side of broccoli, carrots, and the Brussel sprout salad is a super healthy and also filling lunch that has never failed me at any of the CBs I've been to. (You just gotta tell them to hold those biscuits!) It also costs less than $10 which is a steal.

I haven't had breakfast there for a while, but I remember they had some healthy options then too like plain yogurt, egg white omelettes, steel cut oatmeal, and sliced fruit. 

I will take Cracker Barrel any day over IHOP or Subway.

My mother swears by Cracker Barrel veggie plates. But I am a catfish loving, rye bread hating* Hick, so what do I know?

*in all seriousness, I hate rye bread. But it isn't because I look down on certain regions or ethnic groups that like to eat it. I just don't like rye. I probably would have had a much more sophisticated time in high school if I had eaten rye bread.

I have exact same feelings about IHOP or IHOB or whatever it is. I wasn't that into their pancakes since candy bar garnished pancakes is overkill to me. 

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

PS It is possible to enjoy both catfish and coq au vin. 

HELL YES!  I've seen chef on Foodnetwork eating street meat, or cocopuffs for breakfast on Insta not everyone eats gourmet dishes for ever meal.  And foods that we may consider vile or disgusting other cultures view as delicacies. Just think of the difference between American and Japanese food for example, some would look at what they make and think "OMG they are cooking our garbage", but it is considered find dinning in their culture. And many out side the US look at our food and find it revolting, it all depends on what you grew up on. 

Personally I would rather eat catfish with some black-eyed peas than Coq au vin, but coq au vin isn't that bad. :pb_lol:  OH and can someone talk about Bob Evans? We don't have them where I live but we stopped at one and loved it, it gave me that "down home" family place feeling as well.

We only have ONE CB here...I love the fried chicken livers and fried okra. I love grits (with butter and/or cheese). I will cut a bitch for GOOD fried chicken. The omelets at IHOP are fantastic (to me). No, I don't have "sophisticated" food tastes, my mother was a shit cook and now I cook with imagination and spices. 

"Pretentious names" if you knew what my full name was (and the Spanish variation), you'd be all over the pretentiousness of it. Guess what, I don't give a shit. My name is my name. I may not be particularly crazy about it, but after 54 years, I'm used to it. My daughter's first and middle names sort of rhyme, but they suit her. My sons have biblical names because I like them and the biblical characters are strong as hell men. 

Don't like it? Fuck you. 

As I’ve mentioned before, I am not what you would call a picky eater. I like some of the food at Cracker Barrel. I love grilled cheese sandwiches made with rye bread. I like the tuna salad at Subway. And just recently I ate some harvest grain and nut pancakes at IHOP and thought they were delicious.  I don’t think I’ve ever had Coq au vin though so I can’t comment on that. I very much dislike catfish though. (Bottom dwellers.) I do like some other fish though.

eta: The bottom dwellers thing is more a joke to me. I’m not serious about it but some people are!

I feel bad for people who can’t enjoy  good, unsophisticated comfort good as well as   5 star creations .I came up poor so if it tastes good I appreciate it. From Pork chops to truffles :)

If you can just bring yourself to say, “Hold the biscuits,” Cracker Barrel has some great veggie/diet food. Getting back to the snark, it’s like why Walmart is a good place to find plus-size clothes- they made y’all fat in the first place! They want to profit from the consequences too.

28 minutes ago, Kailash said:

As I’ve mentioned before, I am not what you would call a picky eater. I like some of the food at Cracker Barrel. I love grilled cheese sandwiches made with rye bread. I like the tuna salad at Subway. And just recently I ate some harvest grain and nut pancakes at IHOP and thought they were delicious.  I don’t think I’ve ever had Coq au vin though so I can’t comment on that. I very much dislike catfish though. (Bottom dwellers.) I do like some other fish though.

eta: The bottom dwellers thing is more a joke to me. I’m not serious about it but some people are!

I love me some crabs but we also refer to them as the roaches of the sea. LOL!

I guess I shouldn't have said I don't like family style restaurants, I just don't like Cracker Barrel, but what ever floats your boat. I have a "friend" who gets butt hurt because I don't like Olive Garden, she says I don't know good Italian. I said I like my Italian made by little old grandmas in rundown kitchens behind the local catholic church.  Where you do to eat on Saturday Night and have dinner with the Priest, and you can hear grandma screaming (in Italian) from the kitchen.  LOL.  I'm not a fan of saucy cheesy food, so I I'm VERY picky about my Italian, and there are 2 restaurants here in Des Moines that serve AMAZING Authentic Italian food & that is the only place I will eat it.  I has nothing to do with snobbery, it has to do with my dislike of a certain type of food.

A lot of this "fancy" food stuff can also just be elitism and hypocrisy anyway. Fancy restaurants charge 40 bucks a plate for the same venision that many an "unsophisticated, backwoods" hunter proudly cooks up. So many friends and family expressing revulsion for ethically hunted meat while chowing down on factory farmed meat. I love them and Rufus bless. 

33 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I feel bad for people who can’t enjoy  good, unsophisticated comfort good as well as   5 star creations .I came up poor so if it tastes good I appreciate it. From Pork chops to truffles :)

I agree, I love fancy 5 star food and I love the depression era food my grandma used to make! Food is food some people prioritize it more than others....and we shouldnt look over to judge what others are eating... we should only look to see if they have enough. 

A lot of Cracker Barrel's menu is just your basic "Meat and 3" so it is pretty elitist to slam it as unsophisticated. It's just average American food. I grew up pretty well-off but the bulk of our family meals were a meat and a couple of veggies, just like at Cracker Barrel. Cracker Barrel may not be as high quality as my Mom's cooking (too much salt in most chain restaurants for my particular taste) but I'd take it if I was really craving some hash brown casserole, and I genuinely enjoy their cheeseburgers and steak fries. I have some pretty good hungover at Cracker Barrel memories from my 20's.

My FIL is from Hong Kong and he loves Cracker Barrel more than anyone I've ever encountered. And I'm born and raised in the South so I know some pretty serious Cracker Barrel devotees.

I don't like the deer head on the wall, though. But I know it's always there so I can avoid eye contact with it.

When you have very little food and/or have to make it stretch you make it deliciously or well made as you possible can to make it more bearable. I guarantee you many a rural depression era wife in the 30’s made do creatively with whatever roots, wild meat, greens or fish she could lay her hands on to feed her family from scratch and now some of those ingredients make a $75 dollar meal at shi shi foo foo restaurant . The Wife probably made it better:) 

13 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

I agree, I love fancy 5 star food and I love the depression era food my grandma used to make! Food is food some people prioritize it more than others....and we shouldnt look over to judge what others are eating... we should only look to see if they have enough. 

I don't care if food is fancy or down home, if its tastes good, I'll eat it. We mostly go to inexpensive places and have decent easy meals. There is one restaurant out near us that is farm to table. Its not cheap (but not unreasonable either) but I will admit, the food does taste better. And it is more creative. We consider it a treat to go there. Their wings don't come with the usual ranch and celery sticks but instead with a celery and blue cheese salad that I usually eat while the guys eat the wings. There portions are generous. 

What I don't like is going to a restaurant and knowing that you are getting something that is nuked that isn't made even close from scratch. Or the sauce comes frozen in a bad and is thawed out and poured over whatever.  We used to go to a place that had decent burgers. I ordered the chicken and could barely eat it. It was obviously precooked with fake grill marks, frozen and then nuked. We will never go back there again. 

@HereticHick must be my long-lost twin, because I love me some catfish (AND hushpuppies AND a slice of white onion AND a side of fries), but I can't abide rye bread. Nope. No way. No how.

And Cracker Barrel does have decent healthy options - you can even get the catfish grilled instead of fried. Throw some green beans, broccoli, and carrots on that plate and it's a good meal. Since I can't have gluten, it makes it easy to say "hold the biscuits."

I have to say fancy food is lost on me. I prefer instant grits to traditionally cooked grits. I grew up on largely home grown veggies and beef (grew up on a dairy farm) so I'm OK with Cracker Barrel - I usually get pintos, green beans, fruit and cornbread. I'd really rather go to a mom and pop place or a cheap chain than someplace fancy to eat. Cheaper and I don't have to dress up. When I went to Paris last year we were so busy we mostly subsisted on baguettes and crepes, and only had two sit-down lunches. Both those were amazing, but I'm glad we did lunch instead of dinner - we were cramming so much into a few days we didn't want to take a long time out for food, and I know dinners in Paris are meant to be leisurely.  I also lost like five pounds, largely because Paris is not the city of lights, it's the city of staircases!

also the counter service food at Disneyland Paris is abysmal. Either eat at a real restaurant there or go to McDonalds, you'll be better off. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived