IGNORED

Border Patrol Disasters

candygirl200413

Guess I'm not the only paranoid out there.

Chris Stroop (who came here to FJ for a Q & A a while ago) clearly has the same concerns:

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 4

On 6/21/2018 at 3:02 PM, AmazonGrace said:

For purely PURELY selfish reasons, this shit is terrifying.

If 100 miles of a border = border patrol has amazing rights and individuals have none, you guys realize that the entire state of Michigan is basically a war zone.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/05/who-lives-in-border-patrols-100-mile-zone-probably-you-mapped/558275/

MY ENTIRE FRICKIN STATE = THE RULE OF DRACONIAN BULLSHIT.
forever.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

@dawbs What the ACTUAL F?! I heard about Maine being able to ask this and being like that truly makes no sense and now my part of PA is included as well as a ridiculous amount of border. This is so disgusting because already it is ridiculous but now to expand it?!

• Upvote 2

Facts that seem to be forgotten, but that need to be pointed out more often. Like each and every time anyone attempts to make an argument in favoriet of this zero tolerance policy.

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

I loved Ted Lieu already, but now I’m in full on adoration mode.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 7

Yes, yes, yes! Let's hope more governors and states start doing this.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

On 21 June 2018 at 4:11 PM, AmazonGrace said:

this guy needs some angry hatemail too

What fucking facetious fool. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

16 hours ago, dawbs said:

For purely PURELY selfish reasons, this shit is terrifying.

If 100 miles of a border = border patrol has amazing rights and individuals have none, you guys realize that the entire state of Michigan is basically a war zone.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/05/who-lives-in-border-patrols-100-mile-zone-probably-you-mapped/558275/

MY ENTIRE FRICKIN STATE = THE RULE OF DRACONIAN BULLSHIT.
forever.

Same with Connecticut and most of New England. Our states are so small (or narrow) that many of them lie completely within the 100 mile border zone. My husband thought originally that we weren’t in the border zone because of Rhode Island and Long Island Sound, but apparently not. About 2/3 of the country’s population - or roughly 200 million people - live within that border zone. I think somewhere around 75% of the Hispanic population lies in the zone as well. 

• WTF 5

I found this article from the ACLU helpful:

Are immigration officials allowed to stop people in places wholly inside the U.S.?

U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the federal agency tasked with patrolling the U.S. border and areas that function like a border, claims a territorial reach much larger than you might imagine. A federal law says that, without a warrant, CBP can board vehicles and vessels and search for people without immigration documentation “within a reasonable distance from any external boundary of the United States.” These “external boundaries” include international land borders but also the entire U.S. coastline.

What is a “reasonable distance”?

The federal government defines a “reasonable distance” as 100 air miles from any external boundary of the U.S. So, combining this federal regulation and the federal law regarding warrantless vehicle searches, CBP claims authority to board a bus or train without a warrant anywhere within this 100-mile zone. Two-thirds of the U.S. population, or about 200 million people, reside within this expanded border region, according to the 2010 census. Most of the 10 largest cities in the U.S., such as New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago, fall in this region.

Some states, like Florida, lie entirely within this border band so their entire populations are impacted.

https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights-100-mile-border-zone

There's a map at their website if you are unsure if you are within the 100 mile zone, and information about what you should do if you are stopped by border patrol agents.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

20 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

A while back, John Oliver did a piece on immigration courts. It was sobering then, and definitely timely:

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I warned my husband to have his citizenship papers on him at all times, since we are in the 100 mile U.S. coastline border zone.  I was surprised to see it encompassed all land 100 miles inward from the U.S. coastline.  This really gives me an uneasy "reichlike" feeling, especially under our current administration.  I try not to be paranoid...

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

Thanks for the link.  Bethany is apparently really cranky at Jeff Sessions (aren't we all):

Bethany’s Statement on the Attorney General Citing Scripture to Justify the Separation of Families

Given our long-standing commitment to welcoming refugee and immigrant families, in partnership with local churches and community agencies, Bethany Christian Services continues to be deeply troubled and concerned at the administration’s “zero tolerance” deterrent policy of separating children from their parents. Such policies create unnecessary trauma on the most vulnerable and most certainly will have devastating long-term effects. Recent scriptural justifications of such policies are insensitive. The separation of children from their parents and families is wrong.

I hope someone is keeping a close eye on Bethany.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

What has the world come to, that a person gets arrested for bringing toys to innocent little children being held captive?

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 7

• GreyhoundFan locked, unlocked and locked this topic