IGNORED

Lori Alexander 47: Frugal ... Sort of ... For a rich person

3 hours ago, pamplemousse said:

I was baaaad about dinner tonight.  I ate a huge wedge of watermelon and then, because I was desperately craving one, went down to Dairy Queen for a small chocolate extreme blizzard.  Must eat a more healthy dinner tomorrow night.

As for Lori's "chicken pot pie" (ha) soup, it looks like cream of crap. 

It is a proven science that the goodness of the watermelon cancels out the bad of the Dairy Queen Blizzard. My husband said so. He's my lord and master, so it must be true. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Piper was trying to tell parents to use certain stories in the Old Testament to scare children into obeying them. However, while I disagree with doing that because I think it's stupid I did discover something awesome when reading some of the passage that he suggested. One particular passage that caught my attention is 2 Samuel 20. Now Piper doesn't like the idea of any women in charge just like most other fundamental guys. Just like Ken and Trey and all the other idiots. But he was kind enough to point us to a passage where exactly that takes place. 

A wise WOMAN saved the city from being laid to waste by some guys eager to spill more blood than necessary. She did the smart thing and tried diplomacy. So here a woman used wisdom and authority to help save an entire city from destruction.

So lets add her to the list of women who got shit done in the Bible: Wise woman, Zipporah, Debra, Ruth, Easter, Huldah, Sarah, Tamar, Rehab, Jael, Jochebed, all the Marys, Junia, Anna, Elizabeth, Hannah, Martha, Phoebe, Priscilla, Dorcas, Philip's daughters who prophesied and all those I may have missed. I am naming the women because they deserve it after being overlooked so often by idiots. I rarely heard Bible stories about these women growing up outside of Ruth and Esther but they should be talked about so much more than they are. 

Spoiler

Sheba Rebels Against David

20 Now a troublemaker named Sheba son of Bikri, a Benjamite, happened to be there. He sounded the trumpet and shouted,

“We have no share in David,
    no part in Jesse’s son!
Every man to his tent, Israel!”

2 So all the men of Israel deserted David to follow Sheba son of Bikri. But the men of Judah stayed by their king all the way from the Jordan to Jerusalem.

3 When David returned to his palace in Jerusalem, he took the ten concubines he had left to take care of the palace and put them in a house under guard. He provided for them but had no sexual relations with them. They were kept in confinement till the day of their death, living as widows.

4 Then the king said to Amasa, “Summon the men of Judah to come to me within three days, and be here yourself.” 5 But when Amasa went to summon Judah, he took longer than the time the king had set for him.

6 David said to Abishai, “Now Sheba son of Bikri will do us more harm than Absalom did. Take your master’s men and pursue him, or he will find fortified cities and escape from us.”[a] 7 So Joab’s men and the Kerethites and Pelethites and all the mighty warriors went out under the command of Abishai. They marched out from Jerusalem to pursue Sheba son of Bikri.

8 While they were at the great rock in Gibeon, Amasa came to meet them. Joab was wearing his military tunic, and strapped over it at his waist was a belt with a dagger in its sheath. As he stepped forward, it dropped out of its sheath.

9 Joab said to Amasa, “How are you, my brother?” Then Joab took Amasa by the beard with his right hand to kiss him. 10 Amasa was not on his guard against the dagger in Joab’s hand, and Joab plunged it into his belly, and his intestines spilled out on the ground. Without being stabbed again, Amasa died. Then Joab and his brother Abishai pursued Sheba son of Bikri.

11 One of Joab’s men stood beside Amasa and said, “Whoever favors Joab, and whoever is for David, let him follow Joab!” 12 Amasa lay wallowing in his blood in the middle of the road, and the man saw that all the troops came to a halt there. When he realized that everyone who came up to Amasa stopped, he dragged him from the road into a field and threw a garment over him. 13 After Amasa had been removed from the road, everyone went on with Joab to pursue Sheba son of Bikri.

14 Sheba passed through all the tribes of Israel to Abel Beth Maakah and through the entire region of the Bikrites, who gathered together and followed him. 15 All the troops with Joab came and besieged Sheba in Abel Beth Maakah. They built a siege ramp up to the city, and it stood against the outer fortifications. While they were battering the wall to bring it down, 16 a wise woman called from the city, “Listen! Listen! Tell Joab to come here so I can speak to him.” 17 He went toward her, and she asked, “Are you Joab?”

“I am,” he answered.

She said, “Listen to what your servant has to say.”

“I’m listening,” he said.

18 She continued, “Long ago they used to say, ‘Get your answer at Abel,’ and that settled it. 19 We are the peaceful and faithful in Israel. You are trying to destroy a city that is a mother in Israel. Why do you want to swallow up the Lord’s inheritance?”

20 “Far be it from me!” Joab replied, “Far be it from me to swallow up or destroy! 21 That is not the case. A man named Sheba son of Bikri, from the hill country of Ephraim, has lifted up his hand against the king, against David. Hand over this one man, and I’ll withdraw from the city.”

The woman said to Joab, “His head will be thrown to you from the wall.”

22 Then the woman went to all the people with her wise advice, and they cut off the head of Sheba son of Bikri and threw it to Joab. So he sounded the trumpet, and his men dispersed from the city, each returning to his home. And Joab went back to the king in Jerusalem.

2 hours ago, ladyicantxplain said:

It all goes back to their incredibly CORRUPT understanding of God the Father which looks NOTHING like Jesus, Who was and is the FULL and PERFECT revelation of God the Father.  So, if Jesus didn't do it, GOD DOESN'T WANT IT DONE, EITHER.

YES. I don't remember which member on here posted this, but it was such a "lightbulb" moment for me. She wrote that it seems that Lori (and those who hold similar views) follows Paul more than Christ. And, in my opinion, they turn Paul's writing into legalistic checkmarks. I think it all comes down to controlling others rather than helping women find freedom, acceptance and love in Christ. 

6 hours ago, ladyicantxplain said:

Wait...Cabinetman has always been Phil the Nurse, aka Mr. Sunshine Mary?

I have no clue about this. If so, they deserve each other and I prefer it to worrying about Cabinetman's wife, which I actually do. That man is a menace. If you have not, do yourself a favor and read the cabinet man threads on here. You will be howling with laughter. I am chuckling just remembering some of the nicknames he earned on this site (all related to the furniture theme) and how he bragged about physically squaring off against a bull. I just looked up some of the nicknames and just the first three were Storage Sociopath, Chester Drawers, and L. Ron Cupboard. 

8 hours ago, Koala said:

As I said before, what on earth am I missing here?  How can bread be *that* interesting?!

I am more interested in your ice cream cone.

10 hours ago, EowynW said:

My purist side cringes because I know it's highly processed and full of preservatives but days like today when we are out until dark in the garden, it's an easy option. I can't have gluten so I scrape the topping on a salad. I'm going to have a garden fresh cucumber with it too. 

DiGiorno & Freschetta both have gluten free frozen pizzas now :)

11 hours ago, Escadora said:

For dinner earlier on I had pasta with a homemade mushroom, garlic, and mozzarella sauce

Will you share your recipe for the sauce?

12 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Regarding riding the clutch...I would say something about it...mostly because replacing a clutch is a bitch if you do it yourself and it's right pricey to pay someone to do it. My last clutch ran about 500 bucks and that was with a friend doing it. But...that's why hubs doesn't drive my car. He never learned to drive a stick and clutches are too damn expensive...and he'd be seriously dangerous in my car...he has too much road rage and it's best he drives his tank (99 Expedition 4WD). 

I've always loved the classic VW Bugs, but they never came with automatic(they offered a semi-automatic for a few years, but they're hard to find, and obtaining parts for them is challenging, to put it mildly).  Of course, now it's neither here nor there because despite having my permit three times, I never actually got my license. :(

31 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I've always loved the classic VW Bugs, but they never came with automatic(they offered a semi-automatic for a few years, but they're hard to find, and obtaining parts for them is challenging, to put it mildly).  Of course, now it's neither here nor there because despite having my permit three times, I never actually got my license. :(

Thanks to my ragey driving instructor, who yelled at me every time I made mistake, I needed to take the final tests for the drivers licence 3 times and only thanks to a very nice examiner I got my licence. If I had failed the last time, I had to start totally anew. I was terrified every lesson because of him and for the final tests, my blouse was drenched in angsty sweat :( . Because of that, my first car is automatic and I love it very much.

I love it when Ken tries to do Yoda-speak, thinking it makes him sound smart;

Ken says;

"Think about it with me, if it is petty to insist that knives be washed by hand, is it also not petty not to wash them by hand?"

and

"If she is not to submit would it not be far better to do so over something that is of far more important than washing knives?"

Praise God, I see the error of my feminist ways, Ken!  I only needed someone big and strong like you to explain it to my silly little lady brain.

9 minutes ago, kpmom said:

"If she is not to submit would it not be far better to do so over something that is of far more important than washing knives?"

Sounds like exactly the kind of word games I get up to when I need to bulk up the word count of an essay but have no fucks left to give to try and craft another decent argument.

But also, to just question what he wrote there, wouldn't they rather that a wife disobeyed with the small stuff but was perfectly obedient with the big? Or is it a case of total submission in everything apart from perhaps issues relating with a husband interfering with his wife's spiritual health (not letting her go to church, etc...)?  

And, just to be a total pedant, he got it wrong. If he's going to try and use all those convoluted sentences in a bid to sound smarter then he should have known to use the word 'importance' there instead of 'important'. Really fucks with his game of trying to sound intellectually superior when there's a mistake like that there. 

@quiversR4hunting I absolutely will share that recipe, I'll get on writing it out now :D

13 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Well, my hubs does the dishes...its part of the deal...I cook, he cleans up. I don't like the way he loads the dishwasher but it's not my problem! In reality, he does most of the housework because of my back/neck problems. AND...when I go back to working full time, he'll have more time to do that shit b/c he works part time. So, he does the housework so we have more time for US. He can get shit done while I'm at work (he leaves for work at 2pm). 

Regarding riding the clutch...I would say something about it...mostly because replacing a clutch is a bitch if you do it yourself and it's right pricey to pay someone to do it. My last clutch ran about 500 bucks and that was with a friend doing it. But...that's why hubs doesn't drive my car. He never learned to drive a stick and clutches are too damn expensive...and he'd be seriously dangerous in my car...he has too much road rage and it's best he drives his tank (99 Expedition 4WD). 

I load the washer, sometimes I transfer the laundry to the dryer but usually Mr. Briefly does that.  Then he usually takes it out of the dryer and puts it up.  He also does the vacuuming.  I usually do the dishes.  We split the cooking.  Last night we had tacos.  Tonight will probably be mini pizzas made on tortillas.  Car work I mostly leave to him, but I usually help if he needs it.

I was super busy over the weekend and then went on a field trip with my daughter's 4th grade class to our state capital and museum on Monday. It was a lovely day! So it took me Monday night and yesterday afternoon/evening (between all my other real life stuff) to get through the Lori Alexander hot topic. I had left off on page 3 or 4.

2 words to sum it all up - Holy Shit!

I think Krissy was the first person I ever used the flip off reaction on and I used the down vote more than I can count on her. After awhile I just kept using the WTF reaction. I really think Krissy sounds like one of Lori's fan girls that comments on the blog and Facebook and is always defending Lori. I really hope Krissy is still reading and actually learning stuff (unlike the "Always Learning" mentor Lori Alexander)

Someone mentioned something about the Catholic church at some point and @feministxtian told her story about how awful her experience was with the Catholic church. Which is sad to me on so many levels, she was failed by so many and not given Christian love & understanding in her time of need.  I am Catholic, still faithful and a lector, and not everyone has a shitty Catholic upbringing. So the fallen away Catholics out there, you can try it again or not but know that not every Catholic priest & parish nor the entire Catholic church is horrible, saying this paints the (very large) Catholic church with a very broad brush. I know FJers don't like being painted with a broad brush and neither do Catholics, Baptists, homeschoolers, public schooled kids, purple dinosaurs, smurfs, etc. I know there are priests (just like other pastors) and parishes (just like other churches) not worth the time but the this is what the US Bishops say about violence against women: "Violence against women, inside or outside the home, is never justified. Violence in any form-physical, sexual, psychological, or verbal is sinful; often, it is a crime as well"  —U.S Catholic Bishops, When I Call for Help, 2002 - Unlike Lori (and "normal churches"), they do not have a "stand by your man" approach. The 3 goals of the church minsters are: 1. Safety for the victim & children; 2. accountability for the abuser*; 3. Restoration of the relationship (if possible), or the mourning over the loss of the relationship. http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/marriage-and-family/marriage/domestic-violence/when-i-call-for-help.cfm

*which means the court of law, not church discipline

Lastly, thank you for everyone giving me many screenshots to give to my real life friend that shared a Lori Alexander picture of that southern preacher (can't remember his name at all).

4 minutes ago, Briefly said:

I load the washer, sometimes I transfer the laundry to the dryer but usually Mr. Briefly does that.  Then he usually takes it out of the dryer and puts it up.  He also does the vacuuming.  I usually do the dishes.  We split the cooking.  Last night we had tacos.  Tonight will probably be mini pizzas made on tortillas.  Car work I mostly leave to him, but I usually help if he needs it.

I do all the cooking, and we usually do the dishes together in the morning.  I do the laundry and clean the bathroom, he usually does the vacuuming and mopping, I do things like dusting.  He does the mowing, I do all the trimming and little bits.  It's my goal to feel well enough to do the vacuuming and mopping during the week, so he doesn't have to do it in the weekend when he works all week even though he says he's happy to do it. 

Yesterday we ordered in chicken pita from the Turkish place and tonight I'm making pork chops and pasta with sauteed mushrooms and parmesan.  Tomorrow I want to make something in the wok.  I think I have some shrimp in the back of the freezer.

24 minutes ago, EowynW said:

Ken is mamsplaining today over on Dale's Partidge's newest woman hating post 

Providing us with more snark fodder, as usual.

We all need to really seek to choose wisely and get parents and friends involved to be sure we are marrying the right person. There are some pretty manipulative, sneaky men and women out there who once they get their prize will drop everything they promised by their behavior in the dating times, and do nothing but take and treat their spouse with disdain and disrespect.

Speaking from deeply personal experience, are we, Ken?  :my_smile:

29 minutes ago, Briefly said:

I do all the cooking. He helps clean up. I do all the laundry. He cleans out the refrigerator regularly. He does the vast majority of the house cleaning. I dust because he seems to be unaware that is a thing. I also clean the mirrors which I discovered a year or two ago, he thinks is done by magic as he told his mother in front of me that "our mirrors don't really ever get dirty". No, they don't. Because I clean them. But I have not cleaned the rest of a bathroom at all for approximately 11 years. He started cleaning my bathroom when we were dating. He actually likes cleaning and believes that he has superior cleaning skills. I learned early on that if I do it, he will just do it again because I didn't do it the right way. So in the interest of me not getting mad at him, it is better if he just does it. 

I also manage to cook from scratch while working almost full time. Lori would be so mad at me. But during school, I can actually get home at 4 or 4:30 and put a homemade meal on the table by 5:30. I really don't understand these fundie women that make like cooking a meal is a day long project. Do they not actually know how to cook? Is it that hard for them? Did the years of "training" for nothing but cooking and cleaning not really work?  

Mr. 05 is finally starting to let me help with the lawn, flowers, etc... since we moved into our own house and have more to take care of. His mother is helpless and hopeless at most things plus she is usually pretending to be sick. So she never did a damn thing outside and he tends to think women just can't do that. When we got stuck mowing his grandma's lawn, he learned that I know how to mow. And when the snow blower died this winter, he learned that I can scoop snow. Now he has learned that when I said I would plant and take care of a vegetable garden, it meant that I can and will. He has even remarked that his mom and sister don't know how and will not do any of those things. (SiL pretends to but actually gets other people to do it all for her while she whines about having no spouse to take care of it all). 

@smittykins, it took me FIVE tries on the road test to get my license and I got it when I was 35.  I first drove an automatic, but I really wanted a MINI Cooper so I learned to drive a stick -after II bought the MINI.  My husband gave me a few lessons (he had to learn to drive a manual in grad school so he could drive the department Scout), but my oldest daughter was my real teacher.  I don't ride the clutch but my husband does.  I'm not paying for a new clutch when he burns his out.  

@smittykins, love OLD VW Bugs; got my license in a 1963 Beetle that had been restored by my father.  I used to have to stop on really hot days and spray cold water on the engine when the Bug stalled due to overheating.  Strange, but fun little cars; never burnt out a clutch in one, though.  NO ONE drives my cars with standard transmissions: I'm a control freak that way, I guess.  Unless I KNOW that I know that I know that they know what they are doing with a 5 speed. (Had to buy a clutch for a VW Fox once after a friend burnt that out over a drunken weekend).

@EowynW, okay, I'm obviously too new to know who this Dale guy is...can y'all tell me, please, so I can see this stuff?

This is...rich.

KB.PNG.d1b5f2a5145fb718765e814f85ca206c.PNG

Abdicating one's role to nannies and maids, he says?

Lori replies:

795236189_kb1.PNG.8850341f0ad2d6486e8d20dc095a9b50.PNG

Umm, Lori?  YOU had a maid and a nanny (who you claimed was "sent from heaven" because she was willing to hold your crying baby for "hours a day").  

How is it "tragic" for other people to have caregivers for their children and household help, but "sent from heaven" when you have it.  I'm really curious...

9 minutes ago, ladyicantxplain said:

@smittykins, love OLD VW Bugs; got my license in a 1963 Beetle that had been restored by my father.  I used to have to stop on really hot days and spray cold water on the engine when the Bug stalled due to overheating.  Strange, but fun little cars; never burnt out a clutch in one, though.  NO ONE drives my cars with standard transmissions: I'm a control freak that way, I guess.  Unless I KNOW that I know that I know that they know what they are doing with a 5 speed. (Had to buy a clutch for a VW Fox once after a friend burnt that out over a drunken weekend).

@EowynW, okay, I'm obviously too new to know who this Dale guy is...can y'all tell me, please, so I can see this stuff?

He's a young hip fundie millionaire. An idiot who knows little about marriage, life or parenting. He has a page on FB. Dale Partridge. 

From today's post:

I will NEVER advise that a young woman whose desire is to be a wife and mother pursue a career such as these. These careers actually are the only reason one needs a college education since most other women graduate with a degree that they will never use.

Lori- your point is invalid.  You sent your own daughter to college, remember?  You wrote about it extensively on your Always Learning blog.  Period.  End of story.

Women pursuing these careers are also taking these jobs away from men who need them! In talking to one man who is in medical school, more than 50% of the students are women and all but one of the top ten students in the class are women. This is awful, in my opinion. 

To take something away from someone, they have to have it in the first place.  These men NEVER HAD THE JOBS, nor were they entitled to them by virtue of the genitalia.  

As for it being "awful" that the top 10 students were women, are you kidding me right now?  They EARNED IT.  My god, were their professors supposed to overlook the fact that they had a higher GPA, and move onto a man with a lower GPA??  Because of their sex?   Really?  Because that's the stupidest thing I've heard all day.

Lastly, women feel much more comfortable divorcing their husbands when they make good money. Contrary to popular opinion, it’s good for women to depend upon men for their protection and provision.

Yes, having absolutely NO way to leave= the recipe for a great marriage.  Forget strong marriages built on love, friendship, and mutual respect.  The BEST marriages are created out of dependence.  After all, a good husband is one with a large paycheck.  Love is overrated, and totally unbiblical.  Sometimes a "good husband" even hits.  But that's not abuse!  (scathing sarcasm)

38 minutes ago, Koala said:

Abdicating one's role to nannies and maids, he says?

So - I'm confused - women are encouraged to  have high flying careers, and abdicate responsibility of their families to - what, women who are paid min wage most of the time?  And more than likely have families.  I've worked daycare - it is not what most consider a high flying career.   Since I'm just an easily deceived female, someone explain to me how this works, please?   

2 hours ago, EowynW said:

Ken is mamsplaining today over on Dale's Partidge's newest woman hating post 

Doesn't one have to be a man to mansplain? I kinda just see him as a pest.....pestsplaining. 

It's not terrible to be top of your class and be a female. I graduated top of the class with highest honors this year. I worked my butt off for that and so did all the other women in my program who graduated. Of course my graduating class is fantastic and everyone was amazing, male and female. Everyone worked hard. 

I went to college to get a career because I can't just expect to get married. And I would regardless of marriage because I feel called to counsel individuals. 

20 minutes ago, SweetLaurel said:

So - I'm confused - women are encouraged to  have high flying careers, and abdicate responsibility of their families to - what, women who are paid min wage most of the time?  

No, I think he's clutching his pearls over women using nannies and maids.  Lori (true to fashion) is pretending to be scandalized as well, totally ignoring the fact that she herself employs a maid and had a nanny for her children.  

Side note- Lori is so manipulate.  In her post, she says:

Another thing that happens with women in high money-making careers is that their husbands don’t want their wives to give up their lucrative careers

This is basically a tip on how to manipulate your husband.  Kind of like, oh, I don't know...sabotaging your birth control, so you'll get to stay home.

there will always be female doctors but for godly women who want to raise their own children, this isn’t a career they should pursue.

Godly women shouldn't be doctors.  Interesting.  Where can I find that in the Bible?

Dear Lori,

Most of us would rather have doctors who are intelligent, educated, and equipped to treat medical ailments.  I care about my doctor's skills, not whether or not she has a penis, a family, or any of the other red herrings you like to bring into things.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived