IGNORED

Lori Alexander 47: Frugal ... Sort of ... For a rich person

Congratulations @squiddysquid! What an awesome accomplishment! 

@SuperNova thank you for that bit of history. I personally find that kinda of stuff very interesting. And you're right, Lori's views on modesty are quite ethnocentric. There are a vast number of cultures out there that have different views of the body. We've sexualized breast to the point that a bit of cleavage can just set people on a modesty rant rampage. 

Saw a woman in a bikinish top and shorts today at Aldi's, which isn't super common in my town actually . My response? "It's none of my business and I have more important things to worry about like going home to make Mac and cheese."  Because it literally didn't have anything to do with me. and it's 94 degrees with high humidity I'm surprised more people aren't practically naked. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Sarah92 said:

Saw a woman in a bikinish top and shorts today at Aldi's, which isn't super common in my town actually . My response? "It's none of my business and I have more important things to worry about like going home to make Mac and cheese."  Because it literally didn't have anything to do with me. and it's 94 degrees with high humidity I'm surprised more people aren't practically naked. 

Here in the desert, once it goes over about 105, any sense of "modesty" goes right out the window. In parking lots it seems much hotter, to where I've actually had the soles of my shoes melt a bit on the asphalt. At that point most folks are wearing the bare minimum to avoid a public indecency charge. In town it's a little less overt but man, you can see some sights on the strip...Lori would lose what's left of her mind there. 

31 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

So once again we're back to modesty and Lori's ethnocentric view is on full display. Not every culture views modesty by Lori's terms. In some cultures she would be considered extremely vulgar and immodest regardless of what she does or doesn't put on her body or how she views adornment. Boasting about clothing would be frowned upon as immodest behavior. Even in the time of Jesus, clothing was not seen in Lori's limited, white, western christian viewpoint. 

The very concept of body coverings is in itself up for a debate about modesty. Some textile historians believe that body coverings were born of vanity, not shame. Nakedness hasn't always been "shameful" and with the advent of cloth, adorning oneself could have been considered showy and immodest.

Textiles themselves have a very un-Christian beginning. Some believed that there was a female deity that gifted the ability to spin, weave, and dye to women because she saw a mother weeping when her baby died of the cold. The diety took pity and taught this human woman the divine art to be passed on and spare lives.

Regardless of the beliefs of orgin, cloth was thought to be holy and sacred and cutting it amounted to sacrilege. Cutting the fibers meant compromising the weave which gave protection from illness, curses, and the evil eye, so men and women alike simply draped thier bodies with it. When cultivation and herding became more widely practiced, draped fabric became impractical so people began to sew simple garments without cutting the fabric. Eventually even this became impractical and when people began cutting cloth, they had to find a way to compensate for the lost magical properties. This is how body coverings became adorned. Anywhere the fabric was cut needed reinforcing protection so neck holes, arm holes and hems were decorated with embroidery, shells, small pieces of mica, etc., to distract evil spirits. These ideas of protection still live on today. The embroidered blouse with the interesting pattern that you wear quite possibly has a forgotten meaning. 

Even today there are indigenous cultures practicing adornment as protection and status. Modesty exists as a standard of who you are and is separated from bodily adornment.

Sorry for the long post and boring you all with fabric talk. Lori is ignorant on so many levels. It makes me laugh because it's so ridiculous and breaks my heart at the same time because there are women who listen.

This is an awesome read, thank you! :handgestures-thumbupleft: 

(History geek here who loves anything to do with the origins of things we use and take for granted every day)

20 hours ago, older than allosaurs said:

Actually, that one works. (Maybe we had the same doctor.) I got a weird big cyst on the back of my hand and went to the doctor. He said it was harmless and he could lance it, but the traditional cure was to drop the family Bible on it and that worked fine. So I went home and dropped the OED on it. Problem solved.

after reading more comments: yes -- ganglion cyst. That was it. I didn't know about the potential tissue damage. I guess I got lucky.

I pointed mine out to my doctor, not knowing what it was.  He very gently took my hand, looked at it, and pressed very hard on it, asking "does this hurt?"  Well, yes it did! But at the same time, it was basically gone too.  Had one more since then, which I dealt with myself.

2 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

Thank you!

That must be why my mum just bought a weekend house :pb_lol:

She has 2 cats as well. One fell into the pond recently (don't worry, the only thing hurt was her pussy dignity). She thought that algae stuff on top was solid... Left a kinda cat-shaped hole on the water surface :)

Screenshot_2018-06-07-22-24-01.png

@Shoobydoo once did that in a creek.  I don't think there was a kid-shaped hole, though.

Today's repost?  A reminder that she had a post go VIRAL!!!!  :pb_rollseyes:

Dear Lori, while you were "gadding about" on the internet for "a majority of the day", I did the following:

-2 loads of laundry

-Filled and emptied the dishwasher (twice)

-Took Koalababy 2 to the orthodontist and out for milkshakes (we brought one back for Koalababy 1)

-Took both Koalababies shoe/jeans shopping 

-Went to 3 different grocery stores in preparation for the 17 freezer meals I will make tomorrow

-Pulled the meat off 3 rotisserie chickens

-Cooked dinner

-Vacuumed the rugs- twice (Koalapuppy is a long coat German Shepherd, and he's blowing his coat)

-Before I go to bed I will make sure my house is tidy, and at some point I am going take Koalapuppy and and toss the ball for him.  He barely ventures out, now that it's so hot.

Tell me more about how hard it was to make that pot of soup....

19 minutes ago, Koala said:

Vacuumed the rugs- twice (Koalapuppy is a long coat German Shepherd, and he's blowing his coat)

My condolences...I had a Shepherd mix that would blow that winter coat...could pull that fluffy undercoat off him by the handful. Mr. Xtian keeps reminding me of this when I whine about how much I want another dog. 

@Koala , WOW! I just got home from work and threw dinner (leftovers from a restaurant meal) into the oven, and I will count myself accomplished if I fold and put away the towels in the dryer.

4 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

A friend just got his results too and we're going to have a barbecue this weekend. :roasting:

Since Premed my dream was to set my notes on fire and grill marshmallows over them :shifty:

Already got my first graduation present :) Yes, this adult, soon-to-be-doctor loves plushies :)

20180607_203509.jpg

I like those plushies. I got a norovirus plush as a present a couple years ago because I have a serious phobia of sick. 

@Koala I feel you. No kids at home anymore but plenty of work to catch up on. I had a bad bout of fibro for the last 5-6 days. I emptied and reloaded the dishwasher, bleached the sink, scrubbed the stove and counters, mopped the floor, steamed cleaned the hardwood, vacuumed, stripped and remade beds, and cleaned the bathrooms. I also gave the cat room a deep cleaning because 2 out of 3 of my cats are long haired and the shedding is nuts right now for them as well. In between all that, I ran loads of laundry. Tomorrow is my food prep day as well so that means a trip to the stores tonight for staples and tomorrow will be nothing but baking and cooking. Next week is supposed to be in the 100's and I already know I won't want to cook so it has to be done now. I feel tired just thinking about tomorrow.

I was pretty lazy today (FJ forgive me for I have sinned), but on the traditional day of rest, Sunday, my oven was going non-stop from 8 am to 6 pm. On the bright side, that bake sale raised some serious cheddar, and our organization day is going to be amaze-balls.

6 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

Girls, I have something to share: I just passed my final med school exam! :dramallama-nanner:

A lot of you said something similar already but I just wantee to tell you how much I appreciate the openness of our community here and how much I enjoy the discussion s. The snark as well as the more serious ones.

FJ always delivered when i needed a study break :my_biggrin: You folks helped me through med school! So THANK YOU :hug:

Much love and hugs! :my_heart:

Congratulations! That is wonderful news. Be sure to tell your patients how you don't really want to be there, etc., You wouldn't want to upset Lori, now!  :)

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

My condolences...I had a Shepherd mix that would blow that winter coat...could pull that fluffy undercoat off him by the handful. Mr. Xtian keeps reminding me of this when I whine about how much I want another dog. 

I used to take my coyote/shepherd/whatever mix outside and brush him.  The fur would come off in clouds.  I let it blow around the yard and we often saw birds carrying it off to pad their nests with.

Dinner tonight was enchiladas from a local Tex-Mex place. Briefly daughter's car battery finally quit on her, she was able to get it started so we told her to bring it to our house and then i drove her to work. She has been saving $ since the battery was old and was getting weaker, so she gave me the cash she has saved and then we went to the auto parts store to get the battery which Mr. Briefly installed in her car and then we took her car to her at work.  But while the auto parts store was testing the old battery, we walked next door and had dinner.  We don't eat out very often, but I try to save a little aside for the occasional splurge.  It was good. But I feel stuffed.

15 minutes ago, Briefly said:

I used to take my coyote/shepherd/whatever mix outside and brush him.  The fur would come off in clouds.  I let it blow around the yard and we often saw birds carrying it off to pad their nests with

We would do that too...The birds that made their home in the Saguaro cactus that was in our backyard in PHX would JUMP on all that fluffy fluff! The ferocious felines don't have that undercoat and they just leave their hair wherever. 

@koala

Sourdough einkorn....take a drink! Another drink for the word slathered.

I think the whole $14 pack of butter is on there. If she uses that much all the time it makes this butter even more expensive. What the hell would she have done in times of rationing.

I blew off work today to sleep off some pain  meds& try to organize my living room. (Neuropathy is killing me right now) With a bum hand I got our computer desk back to a state of usability. I even cooked dinner! Fried pork chops with scalloped potatoes & green beans. Nothing fancy but the family devoured it.

Like everyone else I wonder how she manages to make housework seem like the hardest thing EVER! Dinner might have taken me 40 minutes tops. I do have to admit, the desk?? That was a couple hour ordeal- that thing was a hot mess. 

Super happy for you @squiddysquid I know you're going to do great things. 

3 minutes ago, Imrlgoddess said:

Like everyone else I wonder how she manages to make housework seem like the hardest thing EVER! Dinner might have taken me 40 minutes tops. I do have to admit, the desk?? That was a couple hour ordeal- that thing was a hot mess. 

Well, cleaning out my office might take a couple of days...but then again I haven't organized a damn thing since we moved in here over a year ago. And...I don't do a helluvalot of housework these days...something about the cunt in the BMW who "didn't see" my race red Mustang and sideswiped me at 45mph, fucking me up for life. 

@squiddysquid Congrats on passing your exam!  And you weren't kidding when you said that was a cat-shaped hole in the pond algae.  

Speaking of pond algae, I respect it more than I respect Lori.

I'm once again struck with how Lori refers to meals as "my dinner," "I like to eat..." "For breakfast, I have...." I'm not sure I've ever seen her refer to a meal as something she shares with Ken unless they have been to a restaurant. 

There's no way anybody could convince me she cooks for her husband on a daily basis.  

48 minutes ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

I think the whole $14 pack of butter is on there. If she uses that much all the time it makes this butter even more expensive. What the hell would she have done in times of rationing.

Yeah, no kidding. I'm not at all shy with butter but that bread looks gross. I imagine that when she takes a bite she leaves teeth marks in the butter. And can't she let it come to room temperature first? A cold chunk of butter on bread with sour juice and swamp water from @squiddysquid's pond. Yuck.

22 hours ago, Petronella said:

Spoiler tag, please!! (The UK is behind the US for season 2)

Sorry for not considering non-USA members. I'll confine my THT comments to that thread, but there shall be spoilers there because we talk about what has happened. I am very into THT, it has an excellent subreddit.

Lori is just so Gilead to me. 

Lori has made me hate the word slather.

I feel like I didn't do too much the past couple of days but I'm recovering from my entire semester before graduation when I had zero downtime. Plus I'm waiting to hear back from jobs so what can I really be doing with my life right now? Today I managed to bake some homemade chocolate chip cookies that were amazing. and I made some baked homemade mac and cheese today that also tasted great if I do say so myself. But I have to say, I think I cook more for my roommate and myself then Lori ever does for Ken and they're married. Also, I'm judging the amount of butter on that. I bought myself a thing of Kerrygold butter as a treat and I always ration it out to make it last. I can't imagine how fast she'd go through butter with that much on it. 

Also for any of you who have made bread before. I'm thinking of baking a simple loaf and swirling some jam I bought in it. Have any of you done that and did it work out? 

8 minutes ago, Sarah92 said:

Also for any of you who have made bread before. I'm thinking of baking a simple loaf and swirling some jam I bought in it. Have any of you done that and did it work out? 

I've never tried that, but I have made muffins where I put batter in the muffin tin, then put a spoonful of jam or marmalade, and then put more muffin batter. They're good. :) A loaf of yeast bread would cook longer than muffins, though. I don't know how that would affect it. :think:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived