IGNORED

Bates 24: Selling the ‘Happy Family’ Lifestyle

Jellybean

On 7/23/2018 at 12:18 PM, Ivycoveredtower said:

because to them once a pregnancy is there it's a life. Kelly said it in an interview. if a child fell and needed to go to the hospital she'd take them. she doesn't see a fetus as any different.  I think a better comparison is why is Micheal going to fertility drs to find out why she's not getting pregnant shouldn't they just see that as god saying they shouldn't have kids. 

I'm baffled by this too. The same people who refuse birth control and "leave their family size up to God" are seeing the best fertility doctors they can find (instead of adopting)? Leaving it up to God my butt. 

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

Poor Katie. If Crown doesn't have a nursing school, who will she take with her for classes at another uni? Jackson??? Maybe. If Katie is true to her goals, even with initial online work, she will need to go to a clinical of some sort. I think even CNA programs require an internship. I am sure that varies per state.

I just don't see the courtship model holding intact all the way to Jeb. 

Crown is actually starting a new nursing program this fall . so there you go Katie is all set.  I made a joke on another thread that maybe Crown heard a Bates wanted to be a nurse so they hurried up and made a program so they wouldn't lose her. 

On 7/24/2018 at 1:32 PM, OyToTheVey said:

I LOVE parmesan rind soup.  It's so good! 

Yeah, I'm gonna need a recipe. 

1 hour ago, KelseyAnn said:

I'm so horrible at recipes I google them but end up doctoring everything. So here's the gist:

Saute onion, garlic, I used turkey bacon, or leave out for vegetarian, sometimes I also add shallots, I love the combo of onion, garlic, shallot.

Add: basil, oregano, lemon zest, salt, pepper and chunks of parm rind, mix it up

After it's sauted, add cannellini  beans, I used canned and drained them a little, baby spinach or kale, chicken broth and let it boil then simmer for 20 minutes. 

You can custom it with tomatoes or mushrooms. 

I hope this was understandable. I also eye ball ingredients. The soup doesn't come out super cheesy but the rind gives it a nice rich creamy texture.     

On 7/23/2018 at 3:18 PM, Ivycoveredtower said:

she doesn't see a fetus as any different.

In this case they are actually treating the fetus better than their existing children. They don't appear to do much to prevent their children from getting life threatening injuries, but will do their best to prevent a fetus from being lost. 

18 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Though Nathan could still be an evangelist without being married.

Since he was traveling around preaching as a teen I don't think the lack of a wife is what is keeping him from this. Most likely he changed his mind, which is perfectly normal. But the Bates had made this huge deal about how God had called him to spend his life preaching. It appears he misunderstood God. 

24 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Since he was traveling around preaching as a teen I don't think the lack of a wife is what is keeping him from this. Most likely he changed his mind, which is perfectly normal. But the Bates had made this huge deal about how God had called him to spend his life preaching. It appears he misunderstood God. 

Which happened/happens far too often (as I'm sure you experienced as well). Big altar calls calling teens to surrender their lives to full-time Christian service- after all, everyone should be a Christian full time. If you didn't go down front, you were labelled a rebellious teenager. So, you say, sure, I'm a full-time Christian and then it was pastor, evangelist, missionary- pick one because now you have to do that because you made a VOW.

My brother was one of those. He spent 4 years at Hyles-Anderson (HAC), married a girl who had surrendered to be a pastor's wife. He has never pastored. He eventually went back to school and got an accredited degree in the computer field. Her brother is very intelligent and had a keen interest in the medical field. Probably would have been an amazing doctor. He spent 4 years at HAC, married, and has been working in various ministries for 15 years while supporting his family as an EMT.

9 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

There is the soup that @OyToTheVey mentioned but I put it in my regular chicken soup.  Basic chicken noodle with onions and celery (that I fish out, hate celery, but it adds a nice flavor) carrots and corn.  Sometime I do rice, rice noodles, egg noddles or potatoes inside of regular noodles.  When its simmering and almost done I add the parmesan rind.  It dissolves and there is no cheese flavor.  I think I got this from Rachel Ray. 

8 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

My brother was one of those. He spent 4 years at Hyles-Anderson (HAC), married a girl who had surrendered to be a pastor's wife. He has never pastored. He eventually went back to school and got an accredited degree in the computer field. Her brother is very intelligent and had a keen interest in the medical field. Probably would have been an amazing doctor. He spent 4 years at HAC, married, and has been working in various ministries for 15 years while supporting his family as an EMT.

Ugh. I went there too.

23 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Crown is actually starting a new nursing program this fall . so there you go Katie is all set.  I made a joke on another thread that maybe Crown heard a Bates wanted to be a nurse so they hurried up and made a program so they wouldn't lose her. 

I don't know whether to cry or laugh about this. Dear God. Please tell me they're not offering a nursing for Jesus degree. BJSN. 

promo for the next episode is up  I've looked at the synopsis for the next few episodes and I'll tell you now both babies get their own episode. Zoey will be born in this episode Everly in the next. 

There was a sign behind Bobby in the recent episode at Noble Metals where he and Chad both worked. The sign was yellow with a hand gun on it and said “Warning: I don’t dial 9-1-1.”

UGH.

14 hours ago, mollysmom said:

Ugh. I went there too.

I'm sorry. {{{{Hugs}}}} I flat refused. Fortunately, my parents were fine with correspondence classes.

5 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I'm sorry. {{{{Hugs}}}} I flat refused. Fortunately, my parents were fine with correspondence classes.

Smart decision on your part for sure!! That place is one of the biggest cults around. Disgusting.

On 7/26/2018 at 7:01 PM, LovelyLuna said:

There is the soup that @OyToTheVey mentioned but I put it in my regular chicken soup.  Basic chicken noodle with onions and celery (that I fish out, hate celery, but it adds a nice flavor) carrots and corn.  Sometime I do rice, rice noodles, egg noddles or potatoes inside of regular noodles.  When its simmering and almost done I add the parmesan rind.  It dissolves and there is no cheese flavor.  I think I got this from Rachel Ray. 

I love chicken soup with egg noods. You just gave me an idea for dinner :)

Last ep Kelly Jo admits she uses Nathan and Trace as baby sitters. Those two went to Trace's debut trick show, leaving Carlin and Katie to fill their roles.  Gilly Jo went down to FL to catch the Zoey birth or at least the midwife appointment. Something.

15 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

Last ep Kelly Jo admits she uses Nathan and Trace as baby sitters. Those two went to Trace's debut trick show, leaving Carlin and Katie to fill their roles.  Gilly Jo went down to FL to catch the Zoey birth or at least the midwife appointment. Something.

I think most large fundie families use boys as sitters if they don’t have much of a choice. The ones who seem to be the stricter with gender roles seem to be the ones with a mix of older children being both sons and daughters. Kelly married off her girls too quickly so she needs to use her unmarried adult sons as babysitters. Zoo had her boys changing diapers at a young age because she had 3 boys first. The Bowers family taught the older boys to cook when their two oldest daughters got married. 

Oh, yes. I was shocked she admitted it. 

She literally called them babysitters. lol I know it is not uncommon for older siblings to mind younger ones but for some reason it seems strange to see these kidults expecting to fulfill I these duties especially Lawson who supposedly lives away from the home.

I wonder how his music career is going sales wise.

15 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

Oh, yes. I was shocked she admitted it. 

She literally called them babysitters. lol I know it is not uncommon for older siblings to mind younger ones but for some reason it seems strange to see these kidults expecting to fulfill I these duties especially Lawson who supposedly lives away from the home.

I wonder how his music career is going sales wise.

And this is why I can’t blame Alyssa for marrying young. She wanted to get the fuck out and I would have too. 

On 7/29/2018 at 5:32 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

And this is why I can’t blame Alyssa for marrying young. She wanted to get the fuck out and I would have too. 

I think Alyssa was wise. She lived the real.Bates poverty, worked as a slave and was willing for a quiet environtment. She married and had her own home, money and became stylish. But I think after 3 quick babies, she is not having quiet time and she's working a lot at home and I wonder if she envies young couples with just 1 kid.

7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I think Alyssa was wise. She lived the real.Bates poverty, worked as a slave and was willing for a quiet environtment. She married and had her own home, money and became stylish. But I think after 3 quick babies, she is not having quiet time and she's working a lot at home and I wonder if she envies young couples with just 1 kid.

If only there was a certain pill a fertile woman could take to keep from getting pregnant, a certain form of controlling birth, if you would. 

I feel weird even posting these (they’re public though), but can we talk about the double standard going on here? Trace is in Hawaii (and appears to be the only Bates there), posing for shirtless pictures. 

Spoiler

61397CDF-13E5-410D-916B-F693BA76E787.jpeg.ed374bf7306684ec51b6ba307b8a8b39.jpeg

44958FEF-7235-4C3E-B73A-415C7407C134.thumb.jpeg.313d81fe43cbe713e0f64ddd1a5b2398.jpeg

Also Elijah’s caption says moonlit walk on the beach, which sounds quite romantic... lol. 

5 minutes ago, Mayluka said:

I feel weird even posting these (they’re public though), but can we talk about the double standard going on here? Trace is in Hawaii (and appears to be the only Bates there), posing for shirtless pictures. 

Hide contents

44958FEF-7235-4C3E-B73A-415C7407C134.thumb.jpeg.313d81fe43cbe713e0f64ddd1a5b2398.jpeg

Also Elijah’s caption says moonlit walk on the beach, which sounds quite romantic... lol. 

mmhh maybe there was some girls there? who took the picture?

22 minutes ago, llucie said:

mmhh maybe there was some girls there? who took the picture?

Based on the rest of the stream of pictures, Elijah’s sisters were there, and also his parents. 

Well, well doesn’t this scream courtship....

Just kidding. But the double standard is astonishing even with much looser standards they have nowadays. 

1 hour ago, Mayluka said:

Hide contents

And now, we have another wonderful Bates hashtag! if you looked at the hashtags for the second picture under Hawaiian surfing boy, one of them is #riped. I'm sure that he meant ripped, but all I can think of is ripe(d) as in really smelly! That's almost as good as #Jesuslovesthemall!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived