IGNORED

Joy & Austin 23: Still Sticking Around

Jellybean

3 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Ha! In my last car, I got in the bad habit of letting my kids put stickers on their windows. Dumb move. :doh: When I got a "new" car, I gave them each a brand new notebook in which to keep any and all stickers. Much better! :D

A notebook is so smart! When Mr. Pearl and I go grocery shopping and whatnot I always notice how many cars I see with stickers stuck to the inside of the back windows. That's gotta be so upsetting to the parent if they don't come off. I'm going to get baby a sticker notebook when she is old enough. 

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been into stickers but you guys are making me want to start!! I love it!!!! Love this thread drift!!!!

Okay, I'm in my thirties and I still really love stickers. Here's my netbook and a makeup palette. Note the "I've been x rayed!" one - from a year ago. Medical professionals will give adults stickers... Sometimes! Couple of scratch n sniff ones there too.:pb_lol: IMG_20180507_225948.thumb.jpg.8858c001c65a9d15b5892a2e35b53036.jpg

My husband doesn't get stickers from his doctor but he gets a kids band-aid, he tells the nurse he hopes shes got a Snoopy band-aid.  She doesn't always have Snoopy but he gets cartoon character. 

I love stickers. It's the one thing I kept collecting for most of my life. I saw Beanie Boo stickers recently that I would have liked, but I didn't buy them. Maybe next time, because I love Beanie Babies and Beanie Boos. :my_smile:

9 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

They sell a reusable sticker book in the gift shop where I work.  (For folks of my generation, think Colorforms).  I really want one.

image.thumb.png.78cc5f81e18e818b71e2f3ebe939a191.png

My 4yo spitfire of a nephew just had surgery, and I bought him a couple of these for recovery... He loves them, but they did not help keep him still and quiet like planned, lol

Hubby keeps a stash of random bandaids/plasters (Batman, Spongebob, camouflage, My Little Pony, etc.) in his desk. People seek him out instead of going to his company's "official" nurse for minor wounds. haha

Well, isn’t that a lovely thread thrift?

I love stickers !!!!! and do always contemplate to get myself a sticker chart for tasks. But then I hesitate because as an adult I have the expectation that I am able to do my shit without being “rewarded” for every little thing. I really hate it when people need a reward when they do the basics (like fathers parenting their children, taking the trash out...). I don’t want this mindset for me or my children. Being in constant need of extrinsic motivation is not how I define a functioning adult. Really working hard on me in that regard. Maybe a sticker chart for every time I didn’t need a sticker chart will help?

Funny enough, this all goes out of the window when it comes to all things sport. Establishing sport goals and routines is definitely something I would get a sticker chart for. 

When I was a child I had an album where I put all my sticker in. I loved them all but was always sad that I couldn’t use them again. 

18 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

No stickers, but we used to get candy after doctor's appointments, especially after vaccinations.

Now that I am an adult, all I get is the vaccination and the fact that I won't die of polio or tetanus :(

Addendum: I really, really miss the scented stickers I would receive at school when we lived in Florida.

Also, what happened to these scented felt pens? I had them as a child in the US, but don't recall ever seeing them once we moved to Europe. Were they ever sold here? Were they banned due to extreme toxicity (would sadden but not surprise me)? Can you still get them in the US?

Man, I miss those scented markers. I don't know if they're still on the market, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were banned, because my preschool looked like a freaking opium den with a bunch of four-year-olds huffing magic markers. 

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Man, I miss those scented markers. I don't know if they're still on the market, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were banned, because my preschool looked like a freaking opium den with a bunch of four-year-olds huffing magic markers. 

Mr. Sketch scented markers are still around and Crayola makes some, too. I see them at Walmart and Target. I don't know my kids' school's policy on them. Huffing is a good description. :D I got my kids scented Mr. Sketch crayons, because they aren't always safe with markers. (I'm tired of finding marker in new places.)

Spoiler

Amazon has them, too.

Amazon.jpg.a7e936dd948a6e0473f7e394ed51672d.jpg5af1453e0923a_Amazoncrayons.jpg.608c2edc898c5034e0b1f127f88c8f4f.jpg

5 hours ago, rainbowbabycakes said:

My 4yo spitfire of a nephew just had surgery, and I bought him a couple of these for recovery... He loves them, but they did not help keep him still and quiet like planned, lol

LOL! It is usually pretty tough to keep a 4 year old down. When my nephew was 3 he had his tonsils & adenoids out, he had an adverser reaction to the codeine, it made him bounce off the walls instead of sleepy.  So they could only give him Advil & Tylenol for pain but in true little child fashion was feeling fine the day after surgery and keeping him still was next to impossible. The child is willful on his best days and down right evil genius the rest of them.  It was a terrible 2 weeks for my sister. 

I love stickers! I have tons; they're just not for me! I write letters to my friends and I decorate their envelopes with shiny stickers that I know they will love. One of my friends in the US says that her postman gets a chuckle out of seeing the brightly stickered envelopes with bunnies and ducks on them! :P Makes me smile, makes the postman smile, and of course makes my friends smile! 

I did this too! But today I do not write many letters, it's sad now that I think about it. I should write more letters. 

My grandmother still does exactly this, she sends congratulation cards on our birthdays and they always have stickers on the evelopes and inside the cards. Mostly flowers or birds or themed ones like Happy Birthday, it's very lovely. She is 83 years young. 

Although I do no longer write letters, I always write postcards whenever I visit a different place. I should will buy stickers to decorate the postcards. My grandma always gets a postcard when I am somewhere. Some people find it strange that I still write postcards, but they are only jealous. Eat my stardust suckers :unicorn2:

A couple months ago, I sent my (almost 92 year old) grandma a care package with a bunch of stickers. She was so excited and puts them on cards and letters when she sends them. This thread reminded me that I should send her some more with her Mother's Day card!

I think I still have my sticker collection from the 80s. My friends and I loved those round scented stickers that teachers gave out. We always loved the pickle one! LOL!!!

Does anyone remember those oil stickers? They were thick and had shiny rainbow colored oil in them that moved when you pressed on them. I loved those things!!! I had a squirrel one. (I love the interesting FJ thread drifts!)

1 hour ago, obiwanfreak said:

I put stickers in my planner to jazz things up :) 

20171127_030156366_iOS.jpg

My brain can't deal with this... My planner is incredibly plain, but efficient.

4 hours ago, PumaLover said:

Does anyone remember those oil stickers? They were thick and had shiny rainbow colored oil in them that moved when you pressed on them. I loved those things!!! I had a squirrel one. (I love the interesting FJ thread drifts!)

Oilies! My favourites! You can incredibly still purchase them at stickersnstuff.net they were so satisfying. 

Also loved temporary tattoos, wait... Who am I kidding at this point? I still love them even though I now have actual tattoos. We had neon banana ones that could not be removed. Ooh and stick on stones! 

On 5/7/2018 at 6:02 AM, Karma said:

Lol, I buy myself an ice cream or chocolate as a “reward” every time I have a blood test.  That’s four justified chocolates a year...I’ll have to come up with an excuse for the rest of them!

I'm like you!  Chocolates or ice cream after each procedure, lab draw, doctor's visit, phone call for lab results...I've already said I'm ordering an ice cream cake after my 10th MRI, and I've already had my 9th.  

I've used Awesome cleaner from Dollar Tree on sticker residue.  It doesn't irritate my skin, no nasty fumes.  I even use it on hubby's greasy work clothes and it works wonders.

31 minutes ago, 3splenty said:

I've used Awesome cleaner from Dollar Tree on sticker residue.  It doesn't irritate my skin, no nasty fumes.  I even use it on hubby's greasy work clothes and it works wonders.

That stuff is AMAZING!!!!!!!! (And only a dollar!! lol)

Awesome cleaner is great for cleaning engine bays, too. lol

They sell a reusable sticker book in the gift shop where I work.  (For folks of my generation, think Colorforms).  I really want one.
image.thumb.png.78cc5f81e18e818b71e2f3ebe939a191.png

I had Colorforms when I was a kid and just loved them! So your comment sent me down the Colorforms rabbit hole, and I found a remake of the original available on sale online (less than half original remake price. From a retailer popular with our fundie friends.) So now I’m waiting for one to be delivered! May Rufus bless you with one, as well!

21 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I’ve seen my boss twice in the past two days smell whiteboard markers when he thought no one was looking. 

I just realized something, I do some scrapbooking and that is essentially stickers for grown ups. If you think about all the embellishments and things.

19 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

LOL! It is usually pretty tough to keep a 4 year old down. When my nephew was 3 he had his tonsils & adenoids out, he had an adverser reaction to the codeine, it made him bounce off the walls instead of sleepy.  So they could only give him Advil & Tylenol for pain but in true little child fashion was feeling fine the day after surgery and keeping him still was next to impossible. The child is willful on his best days and down right evil genius the rest of them.  It was a terrible 2 weeks for my sister. 

Sounds like my guy... he gives spirited a new meaning, lol.. He had surgery for an umbilical hernia, and the next day was literally doing somersaults on the couch:wtsf:

I love him to pieces, but he keeps my sister on her toes... Have y'all seen that video of the toddler that climbs up to the top of the fridge? That's him... not literally, but he was doing that before he was 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived