IGNORED

Maxwell 20: Fun just dies

samurai_sarah

On 4/8/2018 at 1:38 PM, SPHASH said:

I smell bullshit here.  Remember the post about Scary Mary making that sign for Coward Steve?  It appears Forgotten Jesse was in on it too:

DSC_4913-425x284.jpg

I think the sign would look so much better if the word "to" were moved.

Hopefully Mary will continue to practice and learn more about proportion. My cousin just started making signs as a side hustle, and she makes roughly $20 per sign that she sells. It would make a nice little income for Mary if she could do something similar.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Genuine question here, from ground zero of the opioid epidemic in the U.S.: do people not abuse OTC muscle relaxers and Codeine in Canada, however small the amount available to purchase? I mean, there's talk here of putting imodium behind the counter because people can take hundreds of them to get slightly high. I can't imagine what people would do here if they could get Codeine over the counter. 

My husband is from New Zealand and these things are available there too. You have to ask and do a consult with a pharmacist, then you are in a database. You have to know when you last bought etc. I always buy Neurofen Plus, which is the codeine/Tylenol combo and I get grilled.  I am on the national insurance database since we are there so much so my info is in all the drug store databases.

Regular midol (or generic menstrual pain relief pill) also has caffeine and 2-3 ibuprofen pill amounts in one (and an antihistamine to relieve bloating). 

Also...I was raised in the church and bad weens on me but what the heck does that sign mean?

On 2018-04-11 at 5:25 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

Genuine question here, from ground zero of the opioid epidemic in the U.S.: do people not abuse OTC muscle relaxers and Codeine in Canada, however small the amount available to purchase? I mean, there's talk here of putting imodium behind the counter because people can take hundreds of them to get slightly high. I can't imagine what people would do here if they could get Codeine over the counter. 

I've never heard of anyone abusing OTC muscle relaxers or the drugs with Codeine in them. It may happen but I have never heard of it or heard any concern about it. The government was doing a big push last year for parents to keep track the of the medicine in their homes/know how many they are, etc. to stop kids from using them to get high but I felt like they were targeting prescription medications, not OTC. The concerns have usually been about prescription medicine or street drugs, the same ones people abuse in the US. 

4 hours ago, neurogirl said:

Also...I was raised in the church and bad weens on me but what the heck does that sign mean?

Ha ha ha ha

(And read a page or two back, where the sign meaning is discussed.)

Codeine is a prescription in the States. It is also very highly abused.

I didn't know it was OTC in Canada. I'm currently in Canada so I will have to look at the OTC meds next time I'm at a store. (I'm curious as to what kinds of other things are OTC that require a prescription in the States)

I manage my back and TMJ pain with a combination of prescription ibuprofen, caffeine, and swimming. I literally couldn’t get anything done without the caffeine and I pity those with chronic pain whose religion forbids it.

On 4/12/2018 at 4:30 PM, Eclipse said:

I've never heard of anyone abusing OTC muscle relaxers or the drugs with Codeine in them. It may happen but I have never heard of it or heard any concern about it. 

Actually Health Canada proposed banning the sale of non-prescription codeine (no idea about muscle relaxers) because they claim people become addicted to them. Presumably that then amounts to abuse although I maintain one can be addicted and not necessarily abusing a drug (Exhibit A: methadone)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/codeine-opiate-prescription-health-canada-juurlink-pharmacists-ban-sales-1.4284013

Is a failed courtship the end of the world for them? Isn’t the purpose to see if this is the person you are supposed to marry? Wouldn’t a failed courtship mean that A. You aren’t marrying the wrong person. And B you are following god? The Bontrager didn’t post anything about their kids relationships until they were engaged. Wasn’t the called of wedding for the maxwells called off because of terry and Steve?

2 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

Is a failed courtship the end of the world for them? Isn’t the purpose to see if this is the person you are supposed to marry? Wouldn’t a failed courtship mean that A. You aren’t marrying the wrong person. And B you are following god? The Bontrager didn’t post anything about their kids relationships until they were engaged. Wasn’t the called of wedding for the maxwells called off because of terry and Steve?

I believe there have been two failed Maxwell courtships. actually looking into it both those were failed engagements  Chris and Joe. the Duggar's and Bates have also had failed courtships. though no failed engagments thus far.  the thing is they say they do courtships instead of dating so you don't give away pieces of your heart. I don't see how being in a courtship or engagment  that ends isn't giving away pieces of your heart. what are you just not supposed to care until after you say I do.  there is a bunch of Fundy's out there missing heart pieces. 

17 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I believe there have been two failed Maxwell courtships. actually looking into it both those were failed engagements  Chris and Joe. the Duggar's and Bates have also had failed courtships. though no failed engagments thus far.  the thing is they say they do courtships instead of dating so you don't give away pieces of your heart. I don't see how being in a courtship or engagment  that ends isn't giving away pieces of your heart. what are you just not supposed to care until after you say I do.  there is a bunch of Fundy's out there missing heart pieces. 

Even in a fail friendship you can still give away pieces of your heart. Their logic is so flawed. 

In an American cough syrup commercial back in the ‘60s, it said the medicine contained “no habit-forming codeine.” It was the first time I’d ever heard of the concept of drug addiction, so the wording stuck with me.

1 hour ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Both were called off by the women and there was speculation that Elizabeth Munk fled the altar because of warnings from members here in the good old days. It was just before the wedding with Elizabeth. It is worth going back and reading old threads on both in order to understand what happened. The Munk situation is a bit more complex than the other and there is a lot of discussion about the context and where Maxwell courtship philosophy fits if you have the background clearly.

10 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Actually Health Canada proposed banning the sale of non-prescription codeine (no idea about muscle relaxers) because they claim people become addicted to them. Presumably that then amounts to abuse although I maintain one can be addicted and not necessarily abusing a drug (Exhibit A: methadone)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/codeine-opiate-prescription-health-canada-juurlink-pharmacists-ban-sales-1.4284013

Thanks for sharing I hadn't seen that article before. 

22 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I live about an hour from the Canadian border and I've heard of many people buying OTC tylenol with codeine in large amounts and bringing it across the border. In fact, I knew a migraine sufferer who trashed her liver by downing complete bottles of it in an entire sitting. She went to rehab but it was too late and she died of liver failure at age 27.

40 minutes ago, spork78 said:

I live about an hour from the Canadian border and I've heard of many people buying OTC tylenol with codeine in large amounts and bringing it across the border. In fact, I knew a migraine sufferer who trashed her liver by downing complete bottles of it in an entire sitting. She went to rehab but it was too late and she died of liver failure at age 27.

That is really sad and unfortunate for those of us who might take 2 or 3 Tylenol 1s  a few times a year. I lived with a migraineur and I know there is almost nothing they won't do to stop the pain. Fortunately she had good insurance and could afford the expensive meds that prevent migraines, as well as the ones that can stop a migraine before it turns into a storm.

Tylenol will cause organ failure all by itself, especially when taken in large quantities and washed down with alcohol. It's nasty stuff.

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I wonder if there is a plan to shift the mantle of Tits2 over to one of the brothers. The most obvious is Pristopher/NR-Anna. The kids are collectively too small for a new Tits2, but I do wonder if that is a plan- wind it down then ramp it up with  new generation.

I've always felt they would be wise to let the Daughters-in-Law to take over both the blog and the MOTH book (and for god's sake, update it).

I can't imagine young mothers find Teri and Steve and their "30 years in the trenches" all that interesting or helpful.  And why would they want Sarah's advice?

When I was a younger mom I wanted to hear from peers who were either going through what I was, or slightly ahead of where I was in child rearing.  I just couldn't relate to grandma's in their 60's, even though they might have had some good input to offer. Whenever I heard, "When my kids were babies..." I just tuned out.

If I was a fundie young mom (God forbid) I would listen to Melanie, NR-Anna or Elisa long before I'd listen to Teri or Steve, and certainly before I'd listen to Sarah.

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

The most obvious is Pristopher/NR-Anna. The kids are collectively too small for a new Tits2, but I do wonder if that is a plan- wind it down then ramp it up with  new generation.

Chris and Anna would literally be the worst choice to take over the blog.  They're not marketable at all.  Chris has zero charisma and his appearance is the least traditionally-attractive of all the Maxwells.  The  family come across as awkward and out of touch.  Most fundies have moved toward the modern modest aesthetic.  They've ditched the attention-seeking frumper fraulein look that Anna still loves.  Chris seems to do nothing noteworthy but take crappy photos.  Who would want to read about them?   

All the other Maxwells have something going for them, be it their looks, their hobbies, their pets, etcetera.  I think, Chelsy, Sarah and Mel would make compelling bloggers. Mel for her experience.  Chelsy for her charisma and existing following. Sarah for continuity, her books, and her cute dog.

6 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

Chris and Anna would literally be the worst choice to take over the blog.  They're not marketable at all.  Chris has zero charisma and his appearance is the least traditionally-attractive of all the Maxwells.  The  family come across as awkward and out of touch.  Most fundies have moved toward the modern modest aesthetic.  They've ditched the attention-seeking frumper fraulein look that Anna still loves.  Chris seems to do nothing noteworthy but take crappy photos.  Who would want to read about them?   

All the other Maxwells have something going for them, be it their looks, their hobbies, their pets, etcetera.  I think, Chelsy, Sarah and Mel would make compelling bloggers. Mel for her experience.  Chelsy for her charisma and existing following. Sarah for continuity, her books, and her cute dog.

Melanie and her struggles with being a fundy perfect wife. years of in fertility losing her first born having a smaller size family how she coped and still copes with all that. now that would be something interesting to read. 

I have an enlarged liver, so I shouldn't take Tylenol. I do on very rare occasions get a prescription for Vicodin (knee problems, and the doc knows about my liver), and I'll only need to take half of one at a time. I'll use two or three pills, and then the rest of the prescription sits in my drawer for months, until my knee flares up again to the point where I need another pill or two. I feel awful for people who are in so much pain they get into serious trouble with this stuff. :my_cry:

1 hour ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Melanie and her struggles with being a fundy perfect wife. years of in fertility losing her first born having a smaller size family how she coped and still copes with all that. now that would be something interesting to read. 

I have to agree with this. She's in god trenches of raising 5 kids. I think she would have great insight.    

On 4/12/2018 at 11:11 PM, Kelsey said:

Codeine is a prescription in the States. It is also very highly abused.

I didn't know it was OTC in Canada. I'm currently in Canada so I will have to look at the OTC meds next time I'm at a store. (I'm curious as to what kinds of other things are OTC that require a prescription in the States)

I wonder if any that you would buy in Canada OTC would be seized at Customs coming back into the US since you wouldn't have an Rx - ? 

2 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

I don't disagree! But Christopher seems to be the only one without a real business of some sort. I mean, WHAT does he do??

My English grandmother always that a strong cup of tea with sugar and 2 aspirin would cure almost anything. 

i will say substituting 3 ibuprophen for the aspirin will knock out back or joint pain.

3 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I don't disagree! But Christopher seems to be the only one without a real business of some sort. I mean, WHAT does he do??

He's listed as part of the Swift Otter team and has a few certifications after his name, so I guess that's what he does in between photo gigs maybe?

It looks like all the male Maxwells except Nathan & John work at Swift Otter.  Steve is listed as "Chief Synergist" (huh?), and "Client Interaction". 

How much business has Joseph lost with Steve doing client contact?  "While you wait for us to develop your web site think about where you will go when you die".

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived