IGNORED

BRADRICK! Divorce Part 3: Now With Remarriage?

Destiny

2 hours ago, subsaharanafrica said:

That’s the most expensive suite onboard though. I went down the rabbit hole because this seriously piqued my curiosity. The cheapest 1st class tickets were £30, which, when plugged into a historical inflation calculator, is somewhere around $2,500 in today’s US dollars. That’s a chunk of change, sure. But it’s also less than the price of your average business class international plane ticket. 

And that’s why we rarely see refugee families arriving in North America in business class seats.  My immigrant ancestors arrived in steerage a few years after Titanic’s disaster. For them to have had their day’s equivalent of $2,500 to Pay their way from Europe to America is so beyond unlikely — it would’ve been simply impossible.  

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Cleopatra7 recently said,

”seem to remember Doug Phillips is a tool saying that the people in steerage wouldn’t have died if they had worked harder to get first class tickets.”

ive been highly annoyed by people IRL today but now I just want to asplode. What does DP know about working hard? Especially about the type of work people back then actually did?

We  not talking a bunch of fast talking salesmanship. We are not talking about starting a cult. Not even about making videos of nubile dancers. Work was hard and physical. Women and men both worked 6-1/2 days a week to exhaustion. 

My word, what a plague upon the world Doug Phillips had been. And those poor folk who believed him... truly infuriating and tragic.

On 4/5/2018 at 9:36 AM, mommagoose said:

So can someone get me up to speed with the Bradrick family. Like all of Peters family and then his marriage to Kelly and their kids. And then the divorce and remarriage for kelly?

You really need to go back and read some of the old threads. Most of it won't make sense without the history.

8 hours ago, formergothardite said:

And it has been saved, along with the pictures of her VF deleted from their European trip, on this blog. Not sure anything about the blog, but they have a lot to say about Kelly and how the men in her life treated her. 

http://ingridgraceandaudrey.blogspot.com/2012/06/portrait-of-lady.html

Thank you thank you, @formergothardite! Well done, you - I've been searching hard for that video, and had forgotten about "Ingrid's" website. 

It's quite interesting to re-read her "Portrait of a Lady" essay now, given the past year's developments. Someone did update the comments section on this post in May 2017 with the news of the Bradrick divorce.

12 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

But the bulk of the people in steerage were poor immigrants, many with pretty large families. Why would they scrimp and save for ridiculously expressive tickets when that money could have been put towards building a house or business in the US or Canada? Of course, most of the steerage passengers died, so it’s a moot point. Even a “cheap” first class ticket would have been out of reach for the steerage passengers.

Walter Lord wrote a good essay called “What Happened to the Goodwins” to challenge the notion that the bulk of steerage passengers died because they didn’t speak English as a first language and couldn’t follow crew instructions. The Goodwin family consisted of six children and two parents from Melksham, England who were immigrating to Niagara Falls, NY. All died because of the generally messed up way the evacuation of the Titanic proceeded, and because the negligent way steerage passengers in particular were treated. The youngest Goodwin child was identified as the Titanic’s famous unknown child, and he was the only member of his family whose body was ever recovered: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Leslie_Goodwin

On topic, I think we can all agree that if you’re going to put on a “celebration” of a major loss of human life, you should get the basic facts of the story straight and not use it as an excuse to cosplay or humble brag about what a chivalrous knight you are in your own mind.

Oh, I wasn’t making a point about scrimping to afford it. Just reporting what I found in the historical record when I went looking (The White Star Line’s rate schedule is available on line) since there is a huge difference between the cost of the most expensive suite on board and a 1st class berth. 

FWIW, I don’t see Doug as the type of guy to scrimp and save to fly his whole family to Europe in Business Class. Anything he suggested for people taking a steamer across the Atlantic is probably pretty hypocritical. ETA: Scratch that. If you’re begging other people for cash to pay for your international vacations period and at the same time saying that others should scrimp and save to move in luxury you definitely are being hypocritical. 

IIRC, Dougie once made most of the VF crowd sleep in an airport for days when there was a fuck-up during one of their epic adventures.

The whole "women and children" first was an order given by the Captain and enforced at gunpoint. So not all that much choice.  Have none of these revisionists seen any movies based on the Titanic?

On 4/7/2018 at 1:13 AM, AnnaSofia said:

IIRC, Dougie once made most of the VF crowd sleep in an airport for days when there was a fuck-up during one of their epic adventures.

That sounds about right. I believe Deanna Coghlin stopped by and told us how there was a real class divide amongst the people of VF. And her family were on the lower end. The higher ups in the VF were treated much better than those on the lower end. 

1 hour ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

The whole "women and children" first was an order given by the Captain and enforced at gunpoint. So not all that much choice.  Have none of these revisionists seen any movies based on the Titanic?

More first class men survived than third class children, so I’m guessing “women and children first” only referred to the “right kinds” of women and children:

https://www.historyonthenet.com/the-titanic-passenger-and-crew-statistics/

(The formatting at the link is kind of wonky but it says 57 of 175 first class men survived while only 27 of 79 third class children did. Roughly the same proportion were saved but fewer overall third class children survived)

54 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That sounds about right. I believe Deanna Coghlin stopped by and told us how there was a real class divide amongst the people of VF. And her family were on the lower end. The higher ups in the VF were treated much better than those on the lower end. 

Dougie's family was there for that particular one, there was a vid called "72 Hours in a Terminal with Virginia" (from back in the days of Virginia as Vision Forum's own Shirley Temple).

The only still functional version of it I can find is in the middle of this article: http://www.wnd.com/2014/04/pastor-accused-of-using-nanny-as-sex-object-2/

14 minutes ago, AnnaSofia said:

Dougie's family was there for that particular one, there was a vid called "72 Hours in a Terminal with Virginia" (from back in the days of Virginia as Vision Forum's own Shirley Temple).

The only still functional version of it I can find is in the middle of this article: http://www.wnd.com/2014/04/pastor-accused-of-using-nanny-as-sex-object-2/

I always said Doug was manic, and this video refreshes and confirms that memory. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Your post struck me as maybe that's why the whole Titantic thing, albeit subliminally?   Maybe those in the upper echelons of VF understood the class divisions (and the survival rates among the passenger classes) on board the Titantic more than they think.

56 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

I always said Doug was manic, and this video refreshes and confirms that memory. 

He was the Tom Cruise of Dominionism. "Isn't my life AMAZING? Let's plan a conference while we're whitewater rafting and having godly sex with our wives! But seriously, isn't my life AMAZING?!" 

On 4/7/2018 at 12:13 AM, AnnaSofia said:

ETA—I posted the following before I read @AnnaSofia‘s post. Seriously, folks , the video is well worth a gander

————

That’s right. And you’ll remember he let Virginia, the youngest daughter who was about 5 at the time, wander amongst the half-asleep unfortunates, apparently with a cameraman and sound man, cheerily describing who this or that blanket-covered figure was. When she got to Lourdes, Lourdes was so visibly uncomfortable at the attention! Seeing that again, knowing what Phillips was — or  soon would be — subjecting her to is nauseating. Virginia, meanwhile, spoke to Lourdes like the superior she (Virginia) was. After all, she (Virginia) was the one Lourdes was privileged to take care of, answering the tot’s every beck and call. 

Ugh, more anger as I remember this.

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That sounds about right. I believe Deanna Coghlin stopped by and told us how there was a real class divide amongst the people of VF. And her family were on the lower end.

Heh.  Ironic and kind of delightful that the Coughlins are now 7 figure sellers on Amazon.  So who's laughing all the way to the bank now, Doug?

Wow, that video brings up so many questions. Why didn't they get hotels? Why didn't they at least buy tooth brushes? Why did they spend the entire time inside the airport? Why not explore the surrounding areas? 

28 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

Why not explore the surrounding areas? 

They're at Dulles-- there is no surrounding area!

I kid. Sort of. But you would think there might at least be a nearby hotel.

5 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

They're at Dulles-- there is no surrounding area!

I kid. Sort of. But you would think there might at least be a nearby hotel.

Yes, it's true, Dulles is kind of out there, but I would at least take a bus to the metro, or get a hotel with a shuttle. They probably could have found a car rental with a van if they didn't want to do public transport. There is no way I would have spent 3 days in an airport with a 4yr old with no shower, bed or freaking toothbrush before I got on a 10+hr flight. (Who flies internationally and doesn't bring a toothbrush and a change of underwear in their carry on? I've learned to do that even flying from one coast to the other. Things happen.)

What was it he said they paid extra for to fly out of Austin? Why was it better?

One thing for sure, no one in Paris cared they were going to tell the story of the Americans and the battle of Normandy or whatever he said! He sounded so arrogant in that video. Ugh

Reading that article was a good reminder of just how skeevy DPIAT is. 

On 3/26/2018 at 9:06 PM, formergothardite said:

Scotting is going to try and make everyone forget Peter ever existed.

And, of course, the people who will suffer the most as a consequence are the children.

Even if they are told he was a bad person and they're better off, any perceived abandonment has the potential to rankle. These kids are going to feel some kind of way about this situation as they grow up, and I'm not sure erasing him from the equation will set them up to process it well.

18 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

5 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

What was it he said they paid extra for to fly out of Austin? Why was it better?

There's an odd little snippet in there about why they didn't fly out of San Antonio, but went to Austin instead.  It had to do with the screening procedure in Austin that didn't have backscatters, so it's much safer for families.  I assume he's referring to backscatter  X-ray as part of a screening procedure to get access to the concourse.  

Quick google search shows that the amount of radiation in a backscatter X ray is claimed to be about the same as you get from two minutes of flight while the plane is aloft.   Anyone have other opinions on this?

Maybe they didn't leave the airport in Dulles because they were afraid of going through the dangerous/immodest screening procedure again.  

6 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

Yes, it's true, Dulles is kind of out there, but I would at least take a bus to the metro, or get a hotel with a shuttle. They probably could have found a car rental with a van if they didn't want to do public transport.

Did they know they were going to be there three days or were they just continually on standby for a flight that was supposed to leave the next morning? Either way I think "airport hotel" is kind of the only option. Could you even get a bus to the metro at the time of this video? (Excuse me while I get flashbacks to the time my 13-hour transatlantic flight landed at Dulles at 11pm and then my sleep-deprived ass had to spend two more hours trying to get those last few miles into the district.)

1 hour ago, Howl said:

There's an odd little snippet in there about why they didn't fly out of San Antonio, but went to Austin instead.  It had to do with the screening procedure in Austin that didn't have backscatters, so it's much safer for families.  I assume he's referring to backscatter  X-ray as part of a screening procedure to get access to the concourse.  

Quick google search shows that the amount of radiation in a backscatter X ray is claimed to be about the same as you get from two minutes of flight while the plane is aloft.   Anyone have other opinions on this?

Maybe they didn't leave the airport in Dulles because they were afraid of going through the dangerous/immodest screening procedure again.  

That's probably true about their nutty reason for flying out of Austin, but last September when I had to buy a last-minute ticket to attend a family funeral in Indianapolis, I flew in and out of Austin because it was MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper than flying out of San Antonio would have been. But getting up there and back was a royal PITA. 

16 minutes ago, VVV said:

That's probably true about their nutty reason for flying out of Austin, but last September when I had to buy a last-minute ticket to attend a family funeral in Indianapolis, I flew in and out of Austin because it was MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper than flying out of San Antonio would have been. But getting up there and back was a royal PITA. 

Good to know.  I'm getting ready to book Austin to Atlanta round trip in a few minutes. 

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived