IGNORED

BRADRICK! Divorce Part 3: Now With Remarriage?

Destiny

On 3/26/2018 at 11:53 AM, Palimpsest said:

Unlike TWoP, we don't make people read back 10 pages of a thread before they post. Thank goodness.

How in the world did they police that?  Holy too much time on your hands, Batman.  I can imagine the revolt (rightly) that helpmeets would have if I demanded that kind of micromanagement.  

One more way we will never be like TWOP ;)

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Mem'ries...
Light the corners of my mind...
Misty water-colored memories...
Of the way we were..."

(For those who seek more of same, there is a "Happy Tool O'Ween" thread from 2014 here on FJ. Fire up the popcorn popper and have a good laugh!)

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 6.46.03 PM.png

On 3/27/2018 at 10:40 AM, nausicaa said:

Considering how religious and conservative much of Nebraska is, and how much Christianity I suspect actually does get preached in public schools, I'm guessing he went full on street corner preacher on these kids. 

I lived into the rural panhandle of NE until my mid20s.  Went to school there from preschool-12th and some college.  I was never once "treated" to any kind of preaching during school hours.   We did have a Christian group for people in sports (can't think of the name offhand, as I wasn't in it) and an afterschool Christian group that met a couple times a month (not always at the actual school).   Both were voluntary and I had friends in both groups and was never preached to.   I was briefly in the one that met off school sometimes because I had several friends that were in it and they asked me to join.   After several meetings, I decided it wasn't my thing and stopped going.  No pressure from anyone.

Edit: FCA was the sports group.  Fellowship of Christian Athletes

22 minutes ago, Curious said:

Edit: FCA was the sports group.  Fellowship of Christian Athletes

I grew up in Iowa and when I was reading this I thought "sounds like Fellowship of Christian Athletes..." :pb_lol: Add me to the list of midwesterners that were never preached to, in any capacity, at public school. We did have one teacher who didn't believe in dinosaurs, but I admit we purposely egged him on to talk about that so we didn't have to spend as much time on geometry. And that really wasn't getting into the faith-part of his not believing in dinosaurs, although looking back it was obvious he was a fundamentalist Christian. Other than that, there was never a mention of faith by any of our teachers. 

2 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

"Mem'ries...
Of the way we were..."

(For those who seek more of same, there is a "Happy Tool O'Ween" thread from 2014 here on FJ. Fire up the popcorn popper and have a good laugh!)

I know I've said this a million times, but Marian, you are SUCH a good librarian!!!!

This photo is right up there with The Pew Shot with Bradrick!  The internet is forever, Dougie!

1 hour ago, ladyamylynn said:

Sorry I had to.

Screenshot_20180418-223614_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg

It's the vine-riding version of the manly stance.  Such a hazardous journey in those snug-fitting pants.

8 hours ago, Curious said:

How in the world did they police that?  Holy too much time on your hands, Batman.  I can imagine the revolt (rightly) that helpmeets would have if I demanded that kind of micromanagement.  

One more way we will never be like TWOP ;)

I think it was actually 15 days or 15 pages, whichever was longer. I'm surprised I only managed to acquire one warning(I posted on a Duggar thread before the episode had ended).  And I still don't understand the "don't talk about the boards on the boards" thing.

4 hours ago, WonderingInWA said:

It's the vine-riding version of the manly stance.  Such a hazardous journey in those snug-fitting pants.

Hazardous journey for the vine!

2 hours ago, smittykins said:

I think it was actually 15 days or 15 pages, whichever was longer. I'm surprised I only managed to acquire one warning(I posted on a Duggar thread before the episode had ended).  And I still don't understand the "don't talk about the boards on the boards" thing.

It’s been awhile but I think the “no boards on boards” rule meant that you weren’t supposed to talk about other sites/message boards/online groups on TWoP. The only acceptable topic for discussion was what was shown on the TV itself. Consequently, the Duggar threads and the Teen Mom threads (among others) were always getting shut down, because these shows raise a host of questions of various societal topics that the shows themselves are only going to address in a superficial manner (eg you couldn’t talk about Gothard on TWoP because he never physically appeared on 19KAC, even though he was the grey eminence lurking behind the scenes).

44 minutes ago, punkiepie said:

Hazardous journey for the vine!

OMG, I just realized my post actually rhymed -- like a poorly-written poem.  I'm laughing at myself and it's just 5am here...

VF provided so many laughs. I loved that they constantly misspelled things and would fix it after being mentioned here. We were their editors. 

11 hours ago, Curious said:

Cheating is gross, but it normally doesn't lead to this kind of restrictive visitation.

Yeah.  We discussed it a while ago.  My own feeling is that Bradrick was either so overcome with guilt that he gave in to all Kelly's demands or that he had a completely incompetent representation.  Or both.

2 hours ago, smittykins said:

You were braver than I.  I only posted a handful of times on TWoP and never on the Duggar threads.  Howard scared my socks off and seemed to apply the rules incredibly inconsistently.

32 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

It’s been awhile but I think the “no boards on boards” rule meant that you weren’t supposed to talk about other sites/message boards/online groups on TWoP. The only acceptable topic for discussion was what was shown on the TV itself. Consequently, the Duggar threads and the Teen Mom threads (among others) were always getting shut down, because these shows raise a host of questions of various societal topics that the shows themselves are only going to address in a superficial manner (eg you couldn’t talk about Gothard on TWoP because he never physically appeared on 19KAC, even though he was the grey eminence lurking behind the scenes).

Exactly.  But there was the one glorious moment when Howard came barreling onto the thread yelling:  "Why are you talking about Gothard and Priscilla Keller and David Waller's wedding? You can only discuss the show !!1111!Eleventy!!111!"  and had to back down. 

Oops! :laughing-jumpingpurple:

That was my main issue with TWoP--the inconsistent modding.  The "teacher's pets" routinely got away with murder, but the lowly peons such as myself seemed to get a smackdown if we so much as breathed wrong.  I eventually had to back away from the Duggar thread for my own sanity(my usual haunts were the MLB and Commercials forums).

And in other news, Landmark Events is still going.  They managed to get all the Federal charges against them dismissed with God's help.  https://landmarkevents.org/assets/email/2017/05-15-nps-update/

It was persecution that they were accused of conducting unauthorised tours on National Park land.  And they don't do historical enactments any more, you guys!

They have a full schedule of revisionist history events for 2018, although they seem a little nervous about posting pictures of their previous shindigs.  The website is mostly Bill Potter's quasi-historical ramblings.  It sheds light onto people like Mr. Brigid Boyer's blinkered concept of history.  It is all about the white man gaining dominion over the earth for God.

To whit:  The Salem Witch Trials.

According to Bill Potter, these happened because the townspeople of Salem were not living according to Biblical principles.  That made them all vulnerable when a Caribbean slave started teaching adolescent girls about the occult.  Slavery is totes cool, but there is no doubt that it was all Tituba's fault because she was a woman.  And obviously not white. When people started having visions and stuff after learning occulty things, the townspeople took these manifestations of witchcraft seriously.

The trials were not conducted according to Biblical principles (and they took some liberties with English Common Law too) so some non-witch people got executed accidentally. 

But, and this is important:

The number of executions at one small town in New England were dwarfed by the hundreds and thousands who died for “witchcraft” in Germany, France and England in that same era, but the events of Salem have been grasped by the enemies of godly government and Puritan culture to condemn all Christian rule in America as nothing but witch burning and hypocrisy.

I give you the Gospel according to Bill Potter, ABD.  Who failed his PhD dissertation because the history department at his university had major problems with his rewriting of history.

12 hours ago, Curious said:

I lived into the rural panhandle of NE until my mid20s.  Went to school there from preschool-12th and some college.  I was never once "treated" to any kind of preaching during school hours.   We did have a Christian group for people in sports (can't think of the name offhand, as I wasn't in it) and an afterschool Christian group that met a couple times a month (not always at the actual school).  

That's reassuring to know actually. I grew up in a pretty moderate part of Virginia and while I never was exactly preached to, there was definitely some questionable public school teacher behavior looking back. Including my sixth grade science teacher being a creationist and dropping that in all the time, my tenth grade history teacher telling us she would never vote for an atheist for president, and my twelfth grade AP English teacher very obviously favoring essays from the evangelical students who approached literature from a very Christian historical viewpoint (even though the essays were objectively not very well-constructed). 

So I always sort of assumed that the lines got blurred even more in redder states. 

Surprisingly, our high school Bible study group was actually pretty chill and nice and didn't pull the crap I've heard other high schools' groups did. 

13 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

"Mem'ries...
Of the way we were..."

You are my hero, Miss Marian!!!!

On 4/16/2018 at 8:33 PM, AnnaSofia said:

Back in the glory days, the Botkinettes were writing books, making documentaries, giving webinars, speaking at conferences , etc. Sure, it was all exaggerated to look far more grandiose than it actually was, but they were still producing content for the family business.

Now that's all gone, and I'm wondering what they even do all day. There's T-Rex Arms, but the whole bloody family seems wrapped up in that, how busy can it really keep all of them?

I wonder a lot too, especially after I started following Audri Botkin's twitter account. She doesn't post much, mostly reposts, but they're almost all about spiritual abuse, and sexual abuse in the church, purity culture, race, women in the church, etc. Lots of #metoo and #churchtoo, and she seems to be a big fan of the Denhollanders. I'm very curious to know what sparked all of this. There's no doubt in my mind that Christ the King Church in the Botkins' backyard would be an excellent place for both spiritual and sexual abuse to run rampant. Or is this simply disillusionment with DPIATR and VF slowly making its way out? I couldn't ever imagine the Botkinettes or their parents becoming big champions for those affected by spiritual abuse. They'd have to do a lot of repenting first.

9 hours ago, formergothardite said:

VF provided so many laughs. I loved that they constantly misspelled things and would fix it after being mentioned here. We were their editors. 

Remember when they put a flyer on their site something about a class or a lecture (don't exactly remember now) on giving men the tools to be godly men, or some such thing?  They even had pictures of tools on the flyer.

We were convinced VF was trolling FJ and I believe KISA confirmed that when he came here.

Good times.

Wanted to post to say oh em gee yes, proselytizing in schools is a thing in Ohio. I was using a high school classroom while teaching a remote college course. This math teacher's room was full of gospel-y things. I had to report her. A retired teacher in my course also reported her. This was 2013.

Freedom of religion exists because those in power remain neutral so that those without power can believe comfortably. While I at the lectern (with power), I was neutral so that my students (without power) could express as they wished. GAR. I have lots of strong feelings about this.

11 minutes ago, FilleMondaine said:

Wanted to post to say oh em gee yes, proselytizing in schools is a thing in Ohio. I was using a high school classroom while teaching a remote college course. This math teacher's room was full of gospel-y things. I had to report her. A retired teacher in my course also reported her. This was 2013.

Freedom of religion exists because those in power remain neutral so that those without power can believe comfortably. While I at the lectern (with power), I was neutral so that my students (without power) could express as they wished. GAR. I have lots of strong feelings about this.

I worked at a school in the Midwest that had a Christian calendar sitting on the counter in the teacher lounge. It had a new inspiration quote  on it everyday and it drove me nuts every time I saw it. Then one day it quoted some  line from James Dobson about how women were inferior or some such bullshit and the calendar “accidentally” fell in the trash can. And was covered with paper towels so no one could happen to see it and  fish it out. Some of my best work :my_angel:  

All that to say, I, too, have strong feelings about religion in public schools. 

On 4/5/2018 at 11:13 PM, CyborgKin said:

Thomas is too common a name to put after Shepherd.  I would have gone with "Shepherd Book".  Much more shiny!

Shepherd Rod(ney)

Shepherd Hook(er)

I’m a long time lurker, but first time poster.

I’ve followed Kelly’s divorce thread since the beginning and have had discussions with my fundie parents about it. I was hopeful that her divorce would help them “see the light” about the SAHD movement, courtship, etc. It hasn’t changed their minds yet.

My parents are still close friends with people in the former-Vision Forum circles. Here’s what they’ve said (in a tone of pity/asking for prayer/saying we need to be SO careful about who our children marry) about Kelly’s recent remarriage: 

Peter was cheating on Kelly with prostitues throughout their entire marriage on a nearly-daily basis. Peter would meet with a prostitute then come home and have sex with Kelly. Kelly had no clue this was happening. When she did find out, they separated (and then divorced) almost immediately.

About her remarriage, they said that Kelly is marrying a sweet farmer from the Midwest who has never before been married. He’s in his mid-30’s. 

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived