IGNORED

Joy & Austin 21: Still Talking About Baby Gideon

Jellybean

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not a vegetarian (I did pretend for awhile in college but I’m sorry, BACON.) but I love vegetarian recipes. I often feel like they are more flavorful and creative, and I have a serious obsession with veggie burgers.

I do have a shellfish allergy and in my experience that’s one that people take seriously. When I was younger, I loved shrimp and my mom says she doesn’t remember when I stopped, but for years I thought I just ‘didn’t like’ any seafood. When I was allergy tested around age 20 I found out I was allergic, and my doctor said a lot of kids can’t express “my mouth itches” or “my tongue is swelling up” so they just say they “don’t like” a food...but it could be an allergy developing. I thought that was an interesting idea, at least. 

On 05/03/2018 at 2:25 PM, Chevreuil said:

I kept my maiden name because Quebec legally does not allow changes of surname upon marriage. (The official reason for this is feminism, they even include it in my stepson's history book when discussing women's rights. The rumour going around though it was actually because there were so many divorces the Quebec government did it to save money)

My (ex) husband is from Quebec, we married in Montreal.

i wouldn’t have changed my name anyway, but he just said it wasn’t done there, no explanation why.

now we’re divorced I’m glad it never came up :) He’d not have been happy if I choose to keep my own name.

my parents divorced 35 years ago and mum has said a few times over the years about changing her name back, but never done it.

A girl I worked with was diabetic and had celiac disease, she spoke about Chip Shops having gluten free days, great idea. 

Every time someone talks about vegetarians being given or offered meat products I always think of a line from the British Sitcom 'The Royle Family' The Nana says on finding out her grandson's new girlfriend is vegetarian 'Can she eat waffer thin ham' I thought at the time no one could really be ignorant about what vegetarians eat, obviously I was wrong. 

10 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I've also encountered a lot of people who can't understand that vegetarians don't eat animals at all. "Oh, you're vegetarian? Well then you can have the chicken instead." It's also really common for people to think I eat fish, which I don't even blame them for because there are so many people who call themselves vegetarian while eating seafood. If you're a pescatarian great, but please don't call yourself a vegetarian!

Oh my god that is one of my biggest pet peeves! I work with a girl who tells everyone she's vegan but eats both honey and SALMON. 

6 hours ago, imokit said:

@Satan'sFortressI've done as US road trip as a vegetarian, I've also done Thailand and Cambodia (much easier than the US even with the language barrier) and Hong Kong (you have to be very careful but its a big city so its fine), the trip to mainland China was less fine.

China's very meaty and not very Buddhist.  They don't get vegetarianism at all (even Chinese restaurants in the US & UK mix tofu with fish quite often).

And here. We had a group of us, including one vegetarian and me who doesn't eat seafood, so we were ordering a mix of dishes to share. The dish described as "vegetarian greens" turned out to have pork mince in it. We actually confirmed it with the waiters because we couldn't believe it. After that we questioned them on the exact ingredients of basically every dish coming out (we did manage to find some vegetarian dishes without meat, fortunately!)

I just have to laugh my head off...I had a huge crush on a co-worker. We are both married, he is 20 years younger, I didn't care about any of that... but it turns out he is a vegan and I can't get through even a single meal without meat. My favorite food is meat. THAT turns out to be the deal-breaker! For example my breakfast today was cold pork chops I made last night. Thank God I am married to a meat-eater!!! And his wife loves to cook vegan. Another romance shot down before it even started!!!

France is also a really difficult place for vegetarians (outside of the bigger cities), their whole cuisine revolves around meat and fish.

5 hours ago, kbuttons said:

Oh my god that is one of my biggest pet peeves! I work with a girl who tells everyone she's vegan but eats both honey and SALMON. 

Haha, what? Honey, which I don't eat, is a common argument among vegans (every online vegan community I've seen has had some serious honey drama :pb_lol:), but salmon is ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

France is also a really difficult place for vegetarians (outside of the bigger cities), their whole cuisine revolves around meat and fish.

I studied abroad in France the summer after my first year in college and that was the first time I started eating dairy again after years of veganism. (My first time eating cheese pizza there I really regretted not easing into eating dairy...) I didn't find it difficult to be vegetarian -- again, that was after years of veganism so in comparison vegetarianism seemed really easy -- but it seemed like it would be difficult to be vegan. One of my teachers there was actually vegan, though, and she said if you know where to go and can cook for yourself it's not hard to find food.

On that same trip I spent a few days in Iceland and outside Reykjavik it was definitely difficult to find vegetarian food. I ate a lot of cheese sandwiches, since that was the only vegetarian option most places had!

9 hours ago, AnnEggBlandHer? said:

I am not a vegetarian (I did pretend for awhile in college but I’m sorry, BACON.) but I love vegetarian recipes. I often feel like they are more flavorful and creative, and I have a serious obsession with veggie burgers.

I do have a shellfish allergy and in my experience that’s one that people take seriously. When I was younger, I loved shrimp and my mom says she doesn’t remember when I stopped, but for years I thought I just ‘didn’t like’ any seafood. When I was allergy tested around age 20 I found out I was allergic, and my doctor said a lot of kids can’t express “my mouth itches” or “my tongue is swelling up” so they just say they “don’t like” a food...but it could be an allergy developing. I thought that was an interesting idea, at least. 

I LOVE veggies burgers!!!But,I hate soy.There is a good veggie burger called a Sunshine burger.It's made from sunflower seeds and has no soy.Even though,it isn't good for us.I LOVE BACON,too!I once went on a vegan diet.I lost weight,and I felt great.Sorry,for the TMI,but I noticed a difference..with Aunt Flo,at that time,when it was MY time..less cramping,less bloating.Like I said,I felt great.I should have stuck with it.

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

And BUTTER. My god - the butter... lol

(I have a vegan friend who scouted out ALL the vegan restaurants before she went to Paris last month, just so she could eat)

12 hours ago, amandaaries said:

Oh, I HATE bananas too!  Except my family stories are of me refusing that particular fruit each and every time.  I've tried as an adult, but wound up puking after the second bite.  The smell is so awful...I just cannot.

Bananas are VILE. For me, it's not the smell (which I hate) as much as the absolutely disgusting texture, the aftertaste and most of all the gross gritty feeling they leave on your teeth. BLECH.

My 2.5-year-old has always been very reluctant to eat them, even though I tried to push them on him as it's such an easy snack to have in your purse when on the go. Now he refuses them entirely and says "mommy, bananas are for monkeys!" Ha!

I tried to keep Kosher style for a while (no pork or shellfish, not mixing meat/dairy). I went to New Orleans and wanted to try and experience some Creole dishes. Went to one restaurant, and nearly everything had pork. Decided just to order Red Beans and Rice. 

It came with pork #fail . I did eat the dish, continued keeping kosher-style for a little while longer, and decided I also love BACON (probably the only pork I eat now except for an occasional slice of pepperoni pizza), but also really like shrimp and lobster.

There is a guy at my synagog that is ‘vegan’  but he eats dairy.  I know this because I like to bring baked goods for the Oneg meal and he always asked me if its ‘vegan’ which in his world world means no eggs.  He also eats marshmallows because I make rice crispy treats, I say they have gelatin in them but he ate them anyways.  The man is an ass so I don’t bother correcting him, but I am always frustrated after our conversations.

BACON is amazing. I’m sorry Rabbi, the BACON is here to stay.  (my baked goods are always kosher, I have separate stuff for Synagog baking) 

On 3/8/2018 at 9:49 PM, Satan'sFortress said:

I'm vegetarian, and wonder about how that will be if I ever get to travel someday.  I thought China would be good because of the large Buddhist population, but no? 

How strictly vegetarian are you? If you're fine with fish sauce, egg, the same pan being used to cook meat and non-meat dishes, animal fat being used for flavor, etc., you'll be mostly OK. If you're stricter, learn how to say "I'm a vegetarian", "does this have meat?", "I want only vegetables", and learn the characters for fish/pork/chicken/duck/lamb/beef (chicken and duck kinda look like birds, sheep/lamb has little horns). 

Also, unless you're at a monastery, Buddhism in China is pretty syncretic, like most religious observance in China/East Asia in general. People who might pray at Buddhist temples might also make offerings to folk deities and venerate ancestors, and have a thoroughly Western wedding because that's trendy and romantic. Many people don't really adhere to any religion, but sort of pick and choose as they will. Also, the Communist government did its damnedest to do away with religious observance entirely and only kinda-sorta loosened up, so many people might practice some Buddhist/Daoist/folk rituals and observe holidays, but consider it a part of their cultural identity rather than anything really spiritual, because they identify as atheist. So religious or ethical dietary restrictions are really not observed or well-known (beyond most people knowing that Muslims don't eat pork), though in big cities with more Westernized cultural influences, many people know about vegetarianism and there are vegetarian restaurants/restaurants with assuredly vegetarian options, especially in Shanghai and Beijing. 

My advice would be to stick to big cities (e.g. go to Shanghai with day trips to Hangzhou and Suzhou), learn a little Mandarin, maybe make some Chinese friends who can help you out. I caution that my experiences in China are mostly in very rural areas, so again, you should have little if any problems in big cities, unless you're going really off the beaten path with your restaurant choices. 

On 3/8/2018 at 12:48 PM, Rachel333 said:

I've also encountered a lot of people who can't understand that vegetarians don't eat animals at all.

lamb.jpg

On 3/9/2018 at 1:51 PM, LovelyLuna said:

There is a guy at my synagog that is ‘vegan’  but he eats dairy.  I know this because I like to bring baked goods for the Oneg meal and he always asked me if its ‘vegan’ which in his world world means no eggs.  He also eats marshmallows because I make rice crispy treats, I say they have gelatin in them but he ate them anyways.  The man is an ass so I don’t bother correcting him, but I am always frustrated after our conversations.

BACON is amazing. I’m sorry Rabbi, the BACON is here to stay.  (my baked goods are always kosher, I have separate stuff for Synagog baking) 

I grew up in a strict kosher home. Two sets of dishes for meat and dairy and two other sets just for Passover. My parents were so strict for awhile  we had to  wait a few hours between eating dairy and meat. We only had marshmallows once a year when we could get the kosher for Pesach. 

Over the years they became less and less observant. But always had separate dishes.

Now me? If it an't bacon, it an't food. :bacon:

On 3/8/2018 at 10:29 AM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

There are some mountain communities in my state like that. The "summer people" leave in the fall, but a core group live there year round. I've daydreamed about trying out a year or two there. Like you said, you'd need a stockpile of food and a big supply of wood. I'd also want a big stash of things to do, books to read, television shows and movies to watch, and plenty of knitting projects to work on. I bet I'd still end up with cabin fever after a couple of months. :kitty-wink:

This seems way too similar to the beginning of "The Shining" for my comfort. 

4 minutes ago, Evangeline said:

This seems way too similar to the beginning of "The Shining" for my comfort. 

Well, in this fantasy I'm all alone with my introverted self. So, if I do go bonkers, I'm the only one at risk. :my_biggrin: (Plus, the guy in The Shining didn't have access to FJ. As long as I could have FJ, y'all would keep me laughing in a sane way!)

On 3/8/2018 at 12:48 PM, Rachel333 said:

I've also encountered a lot of people who can't understand that vegetarians don't eat animals at all. "Oh, you're vegetarian? Well then you can have the chicken instead." It's also really common for people to think I eat fish, which I don't even blame them for because there are so many people who call themselves vegetarian while eating seafood. If you're a pescatarian great, but please don't call yourself a vegetarian!

I'm a pescatarian but I've met approximately 1.5 people in the last 10 years who are familiar with the term, so I usually just say I'm vegetarian. I live in a heavily Catholic area anyway, so people would assume that fish didn't count regardless of what I told them, lol.

My dad proposed I go by "veg-aquarian," but I haven't been able to make that one catch on either.

I don't (regularly) eat beef and when people find out they'll often ask if I'm a vegetarian. So I say no and then explain that I eat chicken and pork. People still refer to me as a vegetarian.

Side note: I love beef but it doesn't love me.

My son has ADHD, and I avoid artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners for him, as well as certain preservatives. When we're going somewhere, I just take his food for the most part. I've been a little lax lately, and I've been letting him eat stuff if it "reads clean" (companies don't have to list certain things on their ingredients list- if they spray the cereal or bread package with the preservative TBHQ, for example) when he's at a friend's house for example, and i can certainly tell with his behavior if it had something that's not listed.

On 3/10/2018 at 7:48 PM, onekidanddone said:

We only had marshmallows once a year when we could get the kosher for Pesach. 

I inquired about marshmallows and gelatin in general;  some Rabbi’s say that the chemical process that the animal product goes through renders it a chemical agent and no longer a meat product (or something).  Therefore marshmallows and gelatin are Parve or not meat or dairy.  My Rabbi says its a personal decision but I can bring gelatin products to the temple.  This issue came up over a creamed salmon recipe that is set in a fish mold with gelatin.  

On 11/03/2018 at 5:43 PM, Kelsey said:

I don't (regularly) eat beef and when people find out they'll often ask if I'm a vegetarian. So I say no and then explain that I eat chicken and pork. People still refer to me as a vegetarian.

Side note: I love beef but it doesn't love me.

As a question, is that because you rarely eat beef?  I know that when reintroducing meat from vegetarianism you need to go slowly and eat little bits of it slowly building up tolerance.  That being said, I know that there are some Ticks that can cause allergies to Red Meat (and in some cases dairy as well).

On 3/4/2018 at 7:19 PM, Fascinated said:

I find it a bit odd when a woman assumes her husband’s name, then they divorce, and she keeps that name ever after. Even if there are no kids involved. The only two examples I can of think right now are Suzanne Somers and Demi Moore. Of course, they are in the entertainment industry but I don’t think either had reached any degree of fame until long after their divorces.  I think I would choose a new name, or revert to my original name, in that situation.  

I took my husband's name even though I don’t like it (mostly because I didn’t care for his parents), just because I wanted to have the same name as my children. Still a fairly patriarchal practice. I admire families who choose a new surname.  

I'm recently divorced and still have my husbands name only because I absolutely do NOT want my maiden name back!! I don't want any reminder of those people. I was wondering if I can just change my last name to something else? Something random. Is that really allowed?

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived