IGNORED

Joy & Austin 20: Baby Gideon is Here

Jellybean

5 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

It doesn't even have to be after PE in any of the warm months, or even necessarily after PE.  I still can't decide if it's better if they fumigate  spray themselves with Axe or just go au naturale. 

Oh, lord, the Axe. That stuff should be contraband in schools just like weapons. I taught ninth grade for many years and had 8th grade lockers outside my door for many years. So much Axe. 

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My fiance and I, although we don't have children quite yet, have talked about the subject a lot. I don't know if I'd call it a preference, but I've always envisioned my first child being a boy (and having more boys in general). My fiance has always envisioned having a bunch of girls, and wants a girl first because he thinks girl babies are usually easier. We would never tell anyone else about this though, because we don't want our future children somehow finding out and thinking they're unwanted.

I do sort of think it's cool that no matter what we have, one of our dreams/premonitions will be fulfilled! :pb_lol:

Mr. Kittens and I always picture our hypothetical child (We're in the one and done camp) to be a girl. We're crossing our fingers that our friends and families who are having babies in the next couple of years don't use "our name." So far we're in the clear. Definitely helps our cause that it's slightly off the beaten path. I know I'd be absolutely fine if we had a boy, and after an initial adjustment period, I know Mr. Kittens would as well. At the end of the day, I'm just praying for a uncomplicated pregnancy and a healthy baby. 

I am my parents’ only daughter and have two older brothers. My oldest brother has 3 sons, and his oldest now has 3 sons. I have 3 sons as well. For the first 17 years of my life I was the only granddaughter on my mom’s side; I had 3 male cousins on that side of the family before one of my aunts had a daughter. I am surrounded by testosterone; even both of our dogs are males. I don’t have many close friends and sometimes find myself wishing I’d had a sister, but I know siblings- same-sex or otherwise- aren’t guaranteed to be close. Plus I love my sons (and pups!) so you won’t hear many complaints from me about the situation. 

44 minutes ago, gameofunbeknowns said:

(snip)

I’m waiting for the day they can put you to sleep to deliver.

This reminded me of an article I read not long ago. Apparently sleeping through labor was an option as far back as the early 1900s!  I don't think this is the article I read initially, but:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/twilight-sleep-childbirth-1910s-feminists

I have one daughter and two sons....I would have had more kids if I could have been guaranteed they'd be boys. My daughter was (and still is) the drama queen. My sons are assholes but they're my kind of assholes. My younger son discovered that the keypad shortcut to dial mom was 666...so for the longest time he would greet me with "Hello Satan"...and my ringtone on his phone was the Imperial March. Twisted but funny as hell. Older son, in boot camp, smirked at the DI when the DI was up in his face. The DI asked him what the fuck was his problem and why did he think it was so funny to get yelled at like that...son's response? "My mama could make you cry". I was a much better boy mom than girl mom. I get along great with my younger granddaughter, hell, she's me, just littler and cuter (it's funny as hell to hear yourself coming out of your granddaughter's mouth) and my grandson. Older granddaughter? Another drama queen, emo-type kid...IOW, her mother's daughter. 

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Here's my spice cabinet:

How do you find anything in a narrow cabinet like that?

IMG_1543.JPG

I am in awe of your spice cabinet, but as a lifelong lazy-susan spice organizer, I don't know how you find anything either :) 

But that's how you do spices in narrow cabinets: just get a spinning spice organizer and spin until you see the one you want!  

My not quite teen boy is smelly for sure. My daughter does have a smell after she goes for a run or something but it dies down quickly. Now, he does shower every day (we live in a tropical environment so frequently there are two showers in a day, plus pool or beach time) His room doesn't smell and I have no issues with him keeping it picked up. But the body oder, especially after practice. Blech. And he isn't even nearly as bad as some of his friends. If I am driving a group of them after practice or a game we have to open the car windows. We haven't had to do that with my daughter and her friends, though they of course don't smell like roses when they are all sweaty either. 

Maybe son just gets the smelly gene from my husband. Because my husband's hockey bag smells like death no matter how many times we air it out or spray it with oder sprays. 

3 hours ago, LovelyLuna said:

I grew up drinking soda (it was the 90’s convenience food was a thing) and I don’t like regular water (thanks mom). So sparkling water is my jam.  I drink between 5- 10 L a day via my soda stream. No flavor just bubbles.  When I go out I order Club soda, or the soda water that comes out the same fountain as the soda pop.  Interestingly enough I don’t like Perrier,  the fancy expensive water because the bubbles are not “right”.

I really want a soda stream so much. I'm trying to cut down on soda, so I use water enhancers these days. 

Growing up, I always made sure my Sim family had a boy first. For whatever reason I loved the idea of the "protective older brother." No idea where it came from as I'm the oldest in my family. In real life we had a girl first (and as far as two year olds go she's pretty awesome), I thought when we tried for our second a part of me, however small, would want a boy. But it looks like we will be raising two girls and I never felt any disappointment. And if I'm being 100, the thought of raising an African-American male in the current social climate is kind of scary. (Not that I think raising African-American girls will be a breeze, mind you.)

I've been asked about the whole "passing on the name" issue. To which I cheerfully respond that we have three strapping nephews on my husband's side and could very well get more. Not to mention my girls (and/or our niece) are more than free to pass on their father's name (scandalous!)

21 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I really want a soda stream so much. I'm trying to cut down on soda, so I use water enhancers these days. 

I have one it is good i just keep forgetting to buy the syrups for it and I need new bottles. I have used cordial instead of syrup and it has made ok drinks.

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

I am in awe of your spice cabinet, but as a lifelong lazy-susan spice organizer, I don't know how you find anything either :) 

But that's how you do spices in narrow cabinets: just get a spinning spice organizer and spin until you see the one you want!  

I alphabetize them.

Here's our drug rack in the laundry room:

IMG_1545.JPG

33 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I alphabetize them.

That works. I can also see doing primarily sweet/savory/related spices together (basil/oregano/the, for example).

6 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

That works. I can also see doing primarily sweet/savory/related spices together (basil/oregano/the, for example).

I tried to do this, but H is creative and doesn't think related spices need to be related, they ended up everywhere.  

20 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

That's my general idea. My husband just puts things anyhow, but he isn't quite as creative as @justoneoftwo's husband, so I get a chance to put things back as I like them. :my_biggrin: (I am also in some awe of @SassyPants' cupboards!)

3 hours ago, gameofunbeknowns said:

I’ve gotta say I’m beyond impressed by the rather casual nature a lot of you moms talk about laboring here. I seriously take my hat off to you guys. I’d love children but the thought of actually giving birth terrifies me. I’m waiting for the day they can put you to sleep to deliver.

That's what they used to do.. 

I was terrified of it too, but with the epi, it actually wasn't so bad.

1 hour ago, karen77 said:

That's what they used to do.. 

I was terrified of it too, but with the epi, it actually wasn't so bad.

Epidurals are amazing things.  (3 births, all induced for way overdue babies, 1st no epidural and it was rough, long, exhausting.  Next 2 I caved and took the epidural and they were MUCH much much better.  After the 3rd I totally would have done it again if I didn't first have to be pregnant for 9 + months and then be responsible for the child for 18 years).  

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

my spices are just tossed in a cabinet. What I use the most is in the front...the rest is in the back

@nvmbr02 that's just a hockey thing. My son is almost 10 and nothing kills the smell!! Actually we're about to try the Fresh start option at our local skate shop. It's $30+ for 15 minutes but it's supposed to work. 

We have a soda stream, we NEVER use it. Frustrating!!

Oh and just thought it was funny, posting on FJwhile sitting at the bar drinking a Sprite!

@Shadoewolf football gear in high summer also smells like a dead carcass shoved up the butt of a dead carcass too. (I really paint with words, don’t I?)

For us, I found shampoo to be a wonder. Baby shampoo really worked miracles with the things that could be submerged. As for hockey skates, stinky shoes, and other gross footwear; spray deodorant on their feet and into the foot gear. Daily .

Hope this helps!

When my boys were in their teens...OH MY GOD!!! Friday nights there'd be 10-15 teenaged boys up in the rec room...it smelled like the boys locker room after outside gym class in 90+ degree heat and attendant humidity...I swear you could see the green cloud of funk come out of the room. 

Now the only thing I have to deal with is hubby's poops...see, without a pancreas, you have to take replacement enzymes and dosing isn't an exact science...and HOOOOOOLEEEEEEE SHIT...it's enough to gag a maggot! However, smell vs. dead hubby...well....I'll take smell. 

As a woman who kept my own name when I married-- GIRLS ARE PROPERTY OF THEIR FATHERS UNTIL THEIR OWNERSHIP TRANSFER CEREMONY. NAME INDICATES PROOF OF PURCHASE. 

Except, no matter how far back you go on the mothers' lines, it will always be some dude's surname you are taking.... 

I would have kept my maiden name (dad's surname) but it was REALLY boring. My mother's surname was too weird in English. My husband's surname was the best- which is a shame because it belonged to my FiL (who is a bit of a prick). Ultimately, it doesn't matter because I'm making this name MY own!

I never had a problem taking my husband's name. I always knew I would but after going through the actual legal process, it was more of a new chapter starting in my life. Not that I am property in any sense of the word. My husband knows who brings home the bacon & wears the pants :pb_lol: Bless his heart. I married the perfect guy for me :pb_biggrin:

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived