IGNORED

Lina's back!!!!

helloemi

I don't know if that blog post qualifies as gossip under Jewish law. I have thought about this before in relation to FreeJinger in general. Jewish law holds that something is gossip if you are sharing anything about someone else, even if it is true, even if it is not negative. The assumption is that people's lives should remain private unless they make them nonprivate. However, putting information on a public sphere makes it nonprivate by default. Thus, discussing it would probably not be lashon hara, at least not that I can deduce. I am open to other interpretations if another Jew has another idea about this law.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the post that Skylar made qualifies as lashon hora just because, as you say, it's restating things that are already public knowledge. I think that if she had gotten in touch with Lina in a medium where there would be an expectation of privacy (namely, e-mail) and then posted the details of that correspondence without running it by Lina first, that probably would have qualified as gossip, since it's divulging things that, while true, aren't public knowledge (that is, the specifics of Lina's beliefs). I don't consider myself a scholar on the laws of lashon hora at all, though, so I'm open to more knowledgeable opinions than mine. Heh.

The blogger explained that it's not lashon hara if you saying something with the intention of warning other people ("removing a stumbling block from the blind"). She felt this deserved a warning, since she had "spoken with several conversion candidates who were misled by [Lina's] blog and were actually basing their halachic practice on her statements about Judaism." I'm not sure where discussing that warning would fall under.

That was my first feeling on it, and why I don't think it was out of order. And she's right in saying that sincere converts could have their conversions jeopardized if it was found that they regularly visited Lina's site and were following its suggestions, not because they believe in Jesus but because they didn't know any better. Orthodox batei din don't come to play, and people have had their conversions set back years or yanked entirely for less than that. They won't convert you if there's any suspicion that you're not in line with their beliefs and practices.

No kidding. When I was studying abroad in Jerusalem, my professor told us about a student he had who approached him with a problem. She was raised Jewish, had been living an Orthodox lifestyle, and she felt that she wanted to join the ultra-Orthodox community. However, the girl had been adopted by a Jewish family as a baby, and she didn't know if the conversion ceremony she received as a baby was performed by an Orthodox rabbi. My professor approached his friends who were Orthodox rabbis and scholars on Orthodox practice. They all agreed that she would probably just need a quick dip in the mikvah to be officially Jewish, but they weren't experts on the ultra-Orthodox community. He was eventually directed to an ultra-Orthodox member of the Rabbinical Council, the ultimate authority that has the final say on all Jewish religious matters in Israel. This rabbi said that as far as he was concerned, she was a "full goy" and would need a full year of conversion classes before going to the mikvah. Then he continued, "But I would NEVER approve a conversion for her. Once she is done with the semester, she is leaving Israel and will go back to her American university, which is full of sin. That proves she is not serious about being Jewish." (My professor ended up telling the student to wait until she got back to her American university to contact a "sane" rabbi.)

This is petty, buy I'm not seriously rethinking my Starbucks green tea soy latte (unsweetened). Clearly there are chemicals in that matcha and vanilla soy, that when combined, make you batshit crazy. :o

This is petty, buy I'm not seriously rethinking my Starbucks green tea soy latte (unsweetened). Clearly there are chemicals in that matcha and vanilla soy, that when combined, make you batshit crazy. :o

you know, come to the dark side, drink chai instead. Its more Jewish. (ha ha get it ? chai? Oh I crack myself up)

you know, come to the dark side, drink chai instead. Its more Jewish. (ha ha get it ? chai? Oh I crack myself up)

I actually drink chai iced and green tea hot, I don't let truth get in the way of snark ;)

(And now I'm totally making some sort of chai baked good the next time my sister's temple has a bake sale. Cupcakes maybe?)

I am 99% sure that she is still Messianic, but it is keeping it hidden while she attempts to a real Jewish conversion.

I wonder if she'll suddenly "find Jesus/Yeshua" after a year or two as a Jew, and tell all her "congregation" (not sure what the Jewish equivalent is) how wonderful it is.

I also wonder what Jocelyn thinks of this whole thing. She seems to have set herself up as an authority figure on all things Messianic within SAHD blog-ville.

Also, I find the whole thing very sad.

I actually drink chai iced and green tea hot, I don't let truth get in the way of snark ;)

(And now I'm totally making some sort of chai baked good the next time my sister's temple has a bake sale. Cupcakes maybe?)

Okay, so this is completely off-topic, but I've been wanting to try this recipe out: http://awoodennest.blogspot.com/2011/08 ... trate.html We're going away this weekend, so it's going to have to wait until the following weekend.

Back on-topic, Lina is never going to make it through a true Jewish conversion, but it's going to be mighty amusing to watch it all unfold.

I found a recipe for chai oatmeal I want to try.

At Starbucks I like the green tea and chai tea all ways. The hot green tea latte has the sweet smell of hay.

I made a chai cake once. No recipe, I baked it by touch, but the key is to use really, really strong chai tea along with cinnamon, cloves, ginger and lots and lots of cardamom. I used a white cake mix and made a vanilla glaze for the top.

Oh my god hahahaha. The blog "you're not crazy" that Lina links to on her sidebar has a new post up warning readers and potential converts NOT to read Lina's blog. I'm seriously dying of laughter here.

Read the last comment to the "don't read Lina's blog," post. Apparently a rabbi emailed her and asked why she is not clear about her belief in Jesus ("Yeshua") as the Messiah. Apparently, she is under the impression that one can be a Torah observant Jew and still believe in Jesus.

Can someone post a link to Lina's blog. I have a new laptop and lost all my saved sites on my old laptop that died on me.

Thank you so much.

Can someone post a link to Lina's blog. I have a new laptop and lost all my saved sites on my old laptop that died on me.

Thank you so much.

asetapartlife.blogspot.com

Lina replied to Kochava's blog.

I notice bitch didn't say anything about renouncing Jesus. Until she makes an unequivocal statement that she is done with Jesus, I will not believe that she is sincere.

Lina replied to Kochava's blog.

I notice bitch didn't say anything about renouncing Jesus. Until she makes an unequivocal statement that she is done with Jesus, I will not believe that she is sincere.

I'm shocked she responded. Also, pure assumption? LOL. Lina - have you READ your own blog??? How in the world is it pure assumption to think you're messianic when you TALK ABOUT JESUS ALL THE TIME and your husband has said ON your blog that you two will never renounce him???

Guest Anonymous
I am speechless.

How someone can write a blog post based on pure assumptions that are completely false is unbelievable to me. Everything that you store scout me and my blog is untrue. My husband and I practice Orthodox Judaism. That means we try to follow Halacha down to the smallest details. We are not christians in disguise, chas v'shalom, nor are we proselytizers. We are simply two people wishing to convert because we love HaShem and His Torah.

I am a fan of your blog, but it really saddens me that you have stooped to the level of speaking lashon hara against a fellow convert in the making. Perhaps a private e-mail would have been more appropriate.

Sincerely,

Lina of A Set Apart Life

She really needs to proofread before she posts. "Everything that you store scout me and my blog is untrue." - What the hell is that supposed to say? "Said about" maybe?

YESSSS. NEW LINA.

Her "About Me" cracks me up! I've never seen someone trying so hard to be Jewish. Headcovering, big old Star of David necklace, and lots of Jewish words thrown in unnecessarily!

She reminds me of newly "born-again" Wiccans, with a pentagram the size of a soup can lid dangling from a chain around their neck.

Just in regards to the Starbuck's talk and also the larger issue: I prefer the iced Passion tea -- no sugar, no water. Yum. Seriously a religious experience......

As for Lina -- my last email exchange with her she confirmed a Jesus/Yeshua belief. I don't believe in Jesus as a messiah myself and I can't see me abandoning that belief so quickly but... YMMV...

Guest Anonymous
Just in regards to the Starbuck's talk and also the larger issue: I prefer the iced Passion tea -- no sugar, no water. Yum. Seriously a religious experience......

As for Lina -- my last email exchange with her she confirmed a Jesus/Yeshua belief. I don't believe in Jesus as a messiah myself and I can't see me abandoning that belief so quickly but... YMMV...

If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to know how long ago that was, bionicmlle.

Have you seen that Lina has made an outraged comment on Kochava's blog, claiming that she and Tony are true converts. But then, again, she still avoids to answer when asked if she believes Jesus is Messiah

If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to know how long ago that was, bionicmlle.

Lissar: early 2011

If Lina's ever cornered, I bet she'll respond that she's becoming an Orthodox "Netzari Jew." The YouTube user "RaYBaSHKatan" claims to be one, and Lina's favorited several of his videos.

You might wonder exactly what a "Netzari Jew" is. Well, here's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PepMBAVOAB0:

I'm not a Messianic Jew and I'm not a Christian Jew. I'm not Messianic, I'm not Christian. I am a Netzari Jew. I am a Jewish believer in Yeshua Hamashiach, from the Netzari sector of Judaism. Period.

In other words, a "Netzari Jew" is a Christian.

Archived