IGNORED

Turpins 3: 2 Monsters, 13 Victims (WARNING abuse and torture)

laPapessaGiovanna

@Beermeet and@HarryPotterFan Another fun germ-laden activity is one I would do with my class of primary-aged students at the beginning of each year. I’d get two pieces of bakery or homemade white bread (preservatives slow the process) and place one in a ziplock baggie, using gloved hands. I’d take the second piece and pass it around the classroom, so that every pair of hands touched it. It went into a second baggie, and both were tacked to the bulletin board. Over the next few weeks the kiddos could see the moldy difference. Everyone started using the hand sanitizers around the room or washed in the sink before lunch each day without reminders from me. Healthier kids, happy teacher.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the CPR training for work related reasons. Working with addicts means that the trainer made it very clear that mouth on mouth is very optional and a bad choice in most cases.

Also, in every situation the safety of the first responder is paramount. When the EMTs arrive they aren't happy if the number of patients doubled. 

2 hours ago, chaotic life said:

Heimlich Maneuver (though Dr. Heimlich has long staunchly objected to the name) is effective, as is rescue breathing when necessary. But chest compressions are not. I get the offense but please don’t shame someone for being scared to do something that nearly worthless in the first place. It makes people less likely to step in in the future and not less.

My son-in-law used his National Guard first aid training when the guy driving in front of him had a heart attack and drifted to the side of the road. He got him out of his vehicle and started chest compressions. He was able to restart him and keep him going until the EMTs arrived. Turned out the guy lives three blocks from me, and I still see him around the neighborhood 5 years later. He now has an implanted defibrillator, as it turned out there was a congenital heart condition. He fits that category of people who were healthy and relatively young. He invited our whole family to his 50th birthday party the year after the incident.

Anyway, the county sheriff said this was only the second time in his 40 years in law enforcement and emergency response that he was personally aware of someone who actually had been saved by chest compressions. Our first aid instructor always emphasized that if you are at the point of administering CPR, the person is already dead. You aren't going to make them deader and you shouldn't worry about cracking a rib or doing it slightly wrong. There is just that remote chance that you could save them.

I'm an EMT with a local volunteer squad and from time to time I run into one of my CPR "saves".  She's a real sweetheart.  Definately makes up for some of the more unpleansant stuff.

Seeking something new to write about the Turpins, Hollywood Life consulted a lawyer who says that the “children” should sue the school district for not monitoring their well-being as homeschoolers.

At this point, the kids’ best course of legal action is to sue SOMEONE, in order to collect much-needed damages, however, their parents’ don’t have much to offer. Therefore, a lawyer told HollywoodLife.com that they should go after their school district/school officials.

I am curious whether any of the lawyers here think the Turpin kids would have even a remote chance of winning such a case, given that there seems to be no supervision of children’s homeschooling in California.  Under what law could the school district be sued?

The lawyer goes on to suggest that maybe the community college that the oldest son attended could be sued.

Again, it’s hard to believe an instructor or professor didn’t sense something was off with the student. But apparently, the situation was never reported, which is grounds for a lawsuit.

Huh?  College faculty are not “mandatory reporters.”  College stuudents are adults, and there is no agency that I know of to whom people can report “something off” about an adult.   (I know you can call the cops if a person looks to be a danger to himself or others, but that’s not the same.)

So I am not impressed with this lawyer.

However, this set me wondering what (if any) would be the time limit for suing the school district in Texas that had the oldest Turpin girl in third grade.  According to a former classmate, the child came to school in dirty clothes and stank.  Why didn’t her teacher report this?    Why did the district fail to investigate the family when they took the kids out and started homeschooling after there were signs that all was not well?  

17 hours ago, chaotic life said:

I still slip and call it Universal precautions and young’uns in healthcare look at me like I have three heads and I have worked as the Infection Preventionist (the one in charge of infection control standards). Happens to all of us. Blood borne pathogens are actually not easily transmitted and most have treatments to prevent the spread. I would be far more worried about superbugs and things like scabies, all of which are community acquired these days and the same precautions prevent the spread of those as well.

It’s not recommended community based CPR do mouth to mouth at all, just chest compressions these days. The reality is that unless you can get rapid AED treatment CPR has an insanely low success rate overall and even less for anyone not young and healthy before they went down.

Heimlich Maneuver (though Dr. Heimlich has long staunchly objected to the name) is effective, as is rescue breathing when necessary. But chest compressions are not. I get the offense but please don’t shame someone for being scared to do something that nearly worthless in the first place. It makes people less likely to step in in the future and not less.

I was talking to one of my nurses after my brush with death and was shocked to find out that even in the hospital setting I was considered lucky.  I was in about the best position you could be in to receive CPR.   I was already in the hospital, I already had an IV line in AND I had a brief incident of trouble breathing the night before so they had an idea what caused the problem.

Admittedly, if they had taken the other incident more seriously and taken xrays or had me in ICU for monitoring it probably wouldn't have happened at all, but they did do a bunch of testing and examine me AND tell me if I had any similar issues to immediately call and they'd do more testing/monitoring (which I did.  Too bad the nurse I had at the time apparently wasn't up on my info because she didn't kick into action until I finally screamed, as much as you can while dying, to call the rapid response team).  I was down before they got there.

I was also lucky because I suffered no broken ribs or damage to my relatively new fusions.  My entire rib cage hurt A LOT for about a  month and I had some slight bruising on my sternum, but that was kind of minor compared to being...you know...dead.

I have been wondering about the 2 year old in all of this, I wonder if as the older kids get further out of the house, how are they going to feel about the baby, that it sounds like was not "mistreated", like they were? Will some of the older Turpins, feel some bad feelings, and see the baby as a "golden child"? Also, I wonder if this baby long term, will find it very difficult to grow up with siblings, who knew such horrible abuse, but they did not? Will they have survivor guilt, or seek out their parents, because they were "loved" and not abused?

I worry for the older kids a lot, but I wonder if the youngest will have their own issues, and if adoption out of the family, might be better for the baby long term to separate them from siblings, who are going to have a lot of healing to do. Just something that has been in my head.

The city of Perris and Mt. San Jacinto College, working through the Mt. San Jacinto College Foundation, are partnering to establish the Perris Bright Futures Fund to help the Turpin children reach their educational goals,” college spokeswoman Karin Marriott said.

https://www.pe.com/2018/02/01/city-of-perris-mt-san-jacinto-college-partner-to-support-turpin-children/

I hope the fund is not just for college “educational goals.”  

(I had used up my monthly limit of LATimes articles last month, so only got to this today.)  It goes a way to explaining how the Turpins’ strangeness was not enough to raise flags in CA.  Some of it was reported elsewhere, but here are the details.

Two years ago, the neighborhood watch of the Perris community where David and Louise Turpin lived with their 13 children held a Christmas decorating contest, offering $50 and $25 gift cards to the winners.

Some of the Turpin siblings joined in, placing a Nativity scene in their frontyard, with hay for the manger and a Nativity star in a window. Santa Claus sat in his sleigh near the garage.

When the winners were announced at a community gathering, the parents and five of their children were there.

Louise Turpin spent the evening chatting with a neighbor about her children, about the family's roots in West Virginia and Texas, and about their love of Las Vegas, said Salynn Simon, who lives across the street from the family's home.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-turpin-public-life-20180124-story.html

Another article reports further about how the Turpins interacted with the same neighbor Salynn Simon  (who lived across the street)

Louise Turpin told Simon that she and her husband had taken their older children to Las Vegas when they turned 21. Turpin laughed about how her children were constantly asked for an ID during those trips because they look so young.

Over the years, Simon said, she would wave hello and goodbye to the family from across the road. From time to time, she took them their mail, and last year, when Simon's daughter was selling Girl Scout cookies, Louise Turpin bought eight or nine boxes, Simon said.

It was always clear the family was not especially social, Simon said. But the interactions they did have made Simon feel "they were just private."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-turpins-abuse-explainer-20180125-htmlstory.html

I have to say that I don’t think the LA people had as many clues as the Texas neighbors did.  The Turpins had gotten “better” at concealing the abuse.

8 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

[LA Times article:] Turpin laughed about how her children were constantly asked for an ID during those trips because they look so young.

:mad:  Fuck you Louise. Rot in jail.  :mad:

17 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

(I had used up my monthly limit of LATimes articles last month, so only got to this today.)  It goes a way to explaining how the Turpins’ strangeness was not enough to raise flags in CA.  Some of it was reported elsewhere, but here are the details.

Another article reports further about how the Turpins interacted with the same neighbor Salynn Simon  (who lived across the street)

I have to say that I don’t think the LA people had as many clues as the Texas neighbors did.  The Turpins had gotten “better” at concealing the abuse.

Something positive: At least some of the children have had some interaction with the outside world, which might make the transmission to the outside world a little bit easier...

But anyway: Fuck you, Louise. Rot in jail!

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

@EmCatlyn Just FYI, if you run out of monthly views on news websites it usually works to just open the link in incognito mode, or your browser's equivalent.

I have no idea how to do "incognito mode" -- I used to know how to clear my computers of cookies, but the newer versions have hidden that from me.  

I do log off from google and microsoft whenever I have the option (and I have managed to resist logging on to mozilla) because it bugs me that technology is always watching me. :annoyed:   But it doesn't make any difference.  I still get targeted ads based on browsing history and other signs that They Are There.  

I don't suppose this topic is of general interest, so if someone wants to be so kind as to give me some tips, please PM me. (I use an ipad with ios 10 mostly for news and "groups" but I also log in with a windows 7 computer and recently started with a Windows 10.)  Thanks.

14 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

I hope the fund is not just for college “educational goals.”  

Huh? Because clearly these kids, including the adult ones, all have the education they need to get jobs and won't be needing remedial classes or any sort vocational training? 

46 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Huh? Because clearly these kids, including the adult ones, all have the education they need to get jobs and won't be needing remedial classes or any sort vocational training? 

I think that was she meant, she hoped the money wasnt only for college. The kids will all need skills and remedial education before they are ready for college. At least that was how I took it.

5 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

I think that was she meant, she hoped the money wasnt only for college. The kids will all need skills and remedial education before they are ready for college. At least that was how I took it.

Where exactly do you think they'd be getting these skills and remedial education?

Or are people just unaware that colleges have these remedial programs? 

Because that's my entire point.....

Christ, why do people get so prickly when the word "college" is mentioned over anything? As if "college" means one thing. I once tutored a community college student who had trouble multiplying and dividing. She was taking some pretty remedial math classes through her the local JC. 

4 hours ago, anjulibai said:

My point was precisely that they may need pre-college and vocational education that might not be offered at the college that was creating the fund.  (For example, what if one of them wants to study hairdressing, or beer brewing, or something else not offered at the college?  Or what if they need pre-college classes not offered by their remedial program?)

The money should not be just for classes offered at the community college but for whatever they need in the way of education.   (See my next reply also.)

3 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Where exactly do you think they'd be getting these skills and remedial education?

Or are people just unaware that colleges have these remedial programs? 

Because that's my entire point.....

Christ, why do people get so prickly when the word "college" is mentioned over anything? As if "college" means one thing. I once tutored a community college student who had trouble multiplying and dividing. She was taking some pretty remedial math classes through her the local JC. 

I don’t know what “people” you are talking about, but let me reassure you that I am very familiar with the full range of classes that you can take at a “community college” and that I am very much aware of the “remedial” (aka “developmental”) options and the vocational “tracks.”

I have known students who won awards from “educational funds” controlled by a university where the students were not allowed to apply the funds to “study abroad” programs even though the people who contributed to the fund were not aware that the university had created that restriction. 

So I wondered if a similar restriction would come with this “educational fund.”  

3 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

(For example, what if one of them wants to study hairdressing, or beer brewing, or something else not offered at the college?  Or what if they need pre-college classes not offered by their remedial program?)

(My bold)

Apparently UC Davis has degrees in that field--B.S. Food Science and Technology: Brewing Science and M.S. Food Science.

http://college.usatoday.com/2016/04/07/5-schools-beer-major/

I do hope that these young folks can get whatever type of educational help and opportunities suit them best, whether that is through a college, private tutoring, occupational therapy,  or something else.

45 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Apparently UC Davis has degrees in that field--B.S. Food Science and Technology: Brewing Science and M.S. Food Science.

http://college.usatoday.com/2016/04/07/5-schools-beer-major/

I do hope that these young folks can get whatever type of educational help and opportunities suit them best, whether that is through a college, private tutoring, occupational therapy,  or something else.

Yeah, beer brewing degrees are a growing trend in universities these days.  I don’t think they offer them at community colleges yet, but I may be wrong.  

As for the Turpins, I agree.

10 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

I have no idea how to do "incognito mode" -- I used to know how to clear my computers of cookies, but the newer versions have hidden that from me.  

I do log off from google and microsoft whenever I have the option (and I have managed to resist logging on to mozilla) because it bugs me that technology is always watching me. :annoyed:   But it doesn't make any difference.  I still get targeted ads based on browsing history and other signs that They Are There.  

I don't suppose this topic is of general interest, so if someone wants to be so kind as to give me some tips, please PM me. (I use an ipad with ios 10 mostly for news and "groups" but I also log in with a windows 7 computer and recently started with a Windows 10.)  Thanks.

There's a really helpful post in Tech Issues on how to clear your cache on various browsers:

7 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Yeah, beer brewing degrees are a growing trend in universities these days.  I don’t think they offer them at community colleges yet, but I may be wrong.  

my local CC has brewing as an associates degree and a certification in their culinary arts program. Then again, we have one of the oldest micro* breweries in the US.

*It's not so micro any longer, they ship all over the US.

There's a college near-ish to me that has programs in Artisan Distilling, Brewmaster Wine Business Management, Winery and Viticulture Technician along with many culinary programs.

You can also take part time courses to become a Tea or Wine Sommelier

2 minutes ago, VGL said:

You can also take part time courses to become a Tea or Wine Sommelier

Oh! I had no idea that "Tea Sommelier" was a thing. I may have a new dream job.

9 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

my local CC has brewing as an associates degree and a certification in their culinary arts program. Then again, we have one of the oldest micro* breweries in the US.

*It's not so micro any longer, they ship all over the US.

:beer: Although the college where I teach has a small program that includes micro-brewing, none of the area community colleges do. I am in an area where the micro-brewery industry is growing, but it was hardly here 10 years ago. 

When I used it as an example of something that might not be offered by the college that set up the fund, I wanted something more "academically based" than hairdressing but not as "academically based" as theoretical physics.    Beer-making seemed a nice combination of "hands on" and "understanding science" and "business." 

It's good to know that so much attention is being paid to good beer brewing these days.  I remember when the choices of beer were so limited that I counted myself lucky if I could get "malt liquor" and lemon.   :pb_glasses:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived