Jump to content
IGNORED

Jinjer 36: Post-millennial Pregnancy


samurai_sarah

Recommended Posts

One of my professors in grad school was collecting data on her favorite old wives' tale - length of fingers. (I think just for fun, and not actual scientific data but who knows maybe she's publishing a study one day lol)

In women - compare your index and ring finger on the same hand. Index finger longer - first baby will be a girl. Ring finger longer - first child will be a boy. The wives' tale said the longer ring fingers were due to being exposed to more testosterone in the womb and index finger, estrogen. 

The class she went off on a tangent about this, I raised my hand and asked what my finger lengths had to do with which chromosome was on the winning sperm provided by the male. Lest to say she did not like me too much. Feeling was mutual :pb_lol:

Long ring fingers on men apparently equate financial success  :my_rolleyes:

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Casserole said:

In women - compare your index and ring finger on the same hand. Index finger longer - first baby will be a girl. Ring finger longer - first child will be a boy. The wives' tale said the longer ring fingers were due to being exposed to more testosterone in the womb and index finger, estrogen. 

Oh look, yet another OWT that's wrong for me. :pb_lol:

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kachuu said:

I'm 26 weeks and getting heartburn now :my_sad: 

I feel like Tums are chalky. Anything else to take? Or foods to avoid?

 

If it’s really bad I believe Zantac is safe during pregnancy. A friend of mine swore by the Gaviscon tablets during her pregnancy. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Boy-girl twins it is for you. :kitty-wink:

Man. The hospital must have forgot to tell me! I thought I only had a singleton little girl my first time around! 

  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kachuu said:

I'm 26 weeks and getting heartburn now :my_sad: 

I feel like Tums are chalky. Anything else to take? Or foods to avoid?

 

I take Prevacid once a day and tums as needed. The prevacid really works though if you take it every day so I rarely even need the tums. Pepcid is also approved for pregnancy. Check with the doc though before taking my advice.

P.S. Don't take antacids within 4 hours of your prenatal because it hinders absorption. Good luck!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Casserole said:

One of my professors in grad school was collecting data on her favorite old wives' tale - length of fingers. (I think just for fun, and not actual scientific data but who knows maybe she's publishing a study one day lol)

In women - compare your index and ring finger on the same hand. Index finger longer - first baby will be a girl. Ring finger longer - first child will be a boy. The wives' tale said the longer ring fingers were due to being exposed to more testosterone in the womb and index finger, estrogen. 

The class she went off on a tangent about this, I raised my hand and asked what my finger lengths had to do with which chromosome was on the winning sperm provided by the male. Lest to say she did not like me too much. Feeling was mutual :pb_lol:

Long ring fingers on men apparently equate financial success  :my_rolleyes:

There actually is some evidence that ova have influence over which sperm cell is the fertilizer. I don't think there's anything at all to support your professor's theory though!

The finger ratio is a real thing and there are all sorts of interesting correlations. Generally, a longer ring finger means more testosterone exposure. Usually men have a longer ring finger and women have a longer index finger, and very often it's reversed in both gay men and women. (It's true for me!)

  • Upvote 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

There actually is some evidence that ova have influence over which sperm cell is the fertilizer. I don't think there's anything at all to support your professor's theory though!

 

I was going to say this.  It now looks like women's bodies are more active in getting pregnant and picking the sperm.  Its really interesting how that works.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

There actually is some evidence that ova have influence over which sperm cell is the fertilizer. I don't think there's anything at all to support your professor's theory though!

The finger ratio is a real thing and there are all sorts of interesting correlations. Generally, a longer ring finger means more testosterone exposure. Usually men have a longer ring finger and women have a longer index finger, and very often it's reversed in both gay men and women. (It's true for me!)

My ring fingers are a solid nail length longer than my indexes; I have no children yet, but I am straight. I have heard about the men with longer index fingers tending towards being gay which is interesting. Possibly some science is there i.e. testosterone/estrogen exposure in the womb having effect on sexuality (that would actually make a little sense to me) but I don't understand why testosterone in the womb would make my random 4th digits to grow longer than my second digits. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding finger lengths:  In my case, if I look at the BACK of my hands placed flat on a desk (for example), my ring fingers are longer than my index fingers. If I hold my hands in front of my face, with my palms facing me, my index fingers are longer than my ring fingers. Tendons, muscles, etc..., are responsible. :)

  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm 34 weeks tomorrow, so of the wives tale's, the ring finger/index finger one is true for me.  I have a longer ring finger and I'm having a boy.  The Chinese gender predictor (which I had never heard of until these posts!) also predicated boy.  I don't think I'm carrying high or low and no one has commented one way or the other on that to me.  I have had a few people say that you cannot tell I'm pregnant from behind, only from the side and front.  I did have one cousin tell me that boys carry high because they like to be close to momma's heart.  I found out I was having a boy at about 13 weeks via a cell free fetal DNA test.  

With regards to heartburn, I've been pretty lucky not to have too much.  We'll see if it gets worse closer to delivery and whether or not my baby comes out with a lot or a little hair.  When I do have heartburn I use the chewy Tums, they're cherry flavored and I actually like the taste of them!  I also recommend Biscoff cookies (the Delta airlines cookies) to settle stomach ailments, whether it's heartburn or queasiness/nausea.  I have no idea why, but they've really worked for me when I felt a little off.  The main thing that triggers my heartburn so far is tomato sauces...which is infuriating because pasta is one of the few things I currently like to eat!  

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Coconut Flan locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.