IGNORED

Jinjer 36: Post-millennial Pregnancy

samurai_sarah

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

OK< old wive's tales: Nobody's mentioned the "If you have heartburn, basically from conception, your baby's going to have a full head of hair."

I've heard a number of women say that they had heartburn so bad during the entire pregnancy they KNEW the child would have abundant hair... and some of these babies had amazing hair!!

Anyone else hear that one?

I have a couple friends who had killer heartburn and had babies with full heads of thick, dark hair.  One I could have sworn they put a wig on that baby.  Like in the movie Willow. 

I've had next to zero heartburn and I'm halfway so I'll come back in July and let you know if my baby is bald.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The heartburn one was very true for me all three times and actually has some scientific validity to it. Apparently something to do with estrogen production not only has the effect of higher growth of baby hair but also the relaxing of sphincters, causing heartburn. It's been awhile since I took that class but I think the study was something of that nature :giggle:

First kid had only a tiny bit of heartburn and had a tiny bit of hair.
Second had a lot more heartburn and he had a good amount of black hair
Third had heartburn radiating to my knees and she had a thick, gorgeous head of hair.

I had no heartburn with my first at all. Essentially bald baby girl. Major heartburn throughout my whole second pregnancy. Bald baby boy. I've had a little bit of heartburn here and there with the baby I'm carrying now but I won't find out until next month what the sex is. I don't buy into any of the old wives tales, yet everyone pushes them on me. The Chinese calendar predictor has been wrong on my first two. I'm happy with a healthy baby anything. Haha. 

I’m another who had terrible heartburn and baby had so much hair a nurse remarked “I’ve never seen a caucasion baby with that much hair at birth!”

The Chinese calendar was wrong for both me and my sister. And my mother, actually. Unless we're all secretly males, unbeknownst even to ourselves. Maybe we have 'male energy' or something. There's always some kind of shifty explanation to prove why it's right after all.

Oh, the Chinese calendar said "boy" for my daughter.  What other wives' tales am I forgetting? lol

Here's the study on heartburn and hair from Johns Hopkins: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17150070

The Chinese gender predictor was right for both kids, although I'm not exactly sure what month #2 was conceived (could have been the end of one month or beginning of another).  I get a different answer depending on which month I answer.

I had heartburn with both pregnancies such that I was popping Tums like candy. I actually asked my doctor how many Tums I could take in a day without over-dosing. All three kiddos had heads full of hair.

My babies were bald until they were three. They looked like little Caliou's. And I had heartburn like it was going out of style. Ugh. It sucked. So that one didn't hold true for me.

@Shadoewolf I have NOTHING nice to say about Langley AFB OB care. NOTHING. Had a loss. Called for a recheck. Told me I couldn't get an appointment with the doctor when I needed it (like a 2 week recheck). If I wanted an appointment in that time frame I should have called like 3 weeks before. Told the bitch on the phone that I DIDN'T NEED THE GODDAMN DOCTOR THEN BECAUSE I WAS HAPPILY PREGNANT BUT NOW I'M NOT! We could have sued 1st TFW hospital for negligence...back then AD couldn't sue...

32 years later, I'm STILL PISSED. They were like "well, we paid all the bills at CHKD"...fuck you...like that makes up for being a member of the dead baby club.

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

@Shadoewolf I have NOTHING nice to say about Langley AFB OB care. NOTHING. Had a loss. Called for a recheck. Told me I couldn't get an appointment with the doctor when I needed it (like a 2 week recheck). If I wanted an appointment in that time frame I should have called like 3 weeks before. Told the bitch on the phone that I DIDN'T NEED THE GODDAMN DOCTOR THEN BECAUSE I WAS HAPPILY PREGNANT BUT NOW I'M NOT! We could have sued 1st TFW hospital for negligence...back then AD couldn't sue...

32 years later, I'm STILL PISSED. They were like "well, we paid all the bills at CHKD"...fuck you...like that makes up for being a member of the dead baby club.

I'm only loving this because you need love after going though that.   

4 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm only loving this because you need love after going though that.   

I can tell sheer horror stories about military doctors/medical treatment that would make your hair stand on end.

Including the fact that my OB sexually assaulted me WHILE I WAS MISCARRYING IN HIS OFFICE. He randomly shoved two fingers up my rectum while I was bleeding all over the place. When I went back for a recheck (three weeks later - still ended up with a D&C), he did it again. And again when he came into my hospital room post D&C.

I was young and stupid, but KNEW that was wrong. I went to the hospital commander who told me I didn't understand how treatments worked, and that Dr. Smith* was obviously taking EXTRA CARE because of a tipped uterus.

News flash:  my uterus isn't tipped.

News flash2:  no attorney would touch the case because active duty/dependents were not allowed to sue.

News flash3:  this shithead is still practicing medicine in Colorado.

*not his real name

Chinese calendar was right for both my kids. I had severe heartburn with my son and he had a little hair but not a ton. I have mild heartburn with this pregnancy but I’m only 30 weeks so we will see if she has much hair or not.

I had terrible heartburn with both my kids, had one girl with lots of hair and one boy with the same hairstyle as my then 60yo dad (bald on top, a little around the sides).  

They’re 21 and 17(18 tomorrow!) and I still have terrible heartburn and have been taking prescription medication for about 10 years.  Not caused by the world’s longest pregnancy, thank goodness!  

Nope, sorry - nothing really helps. I remember chugging HUGE glasses of ice water to try to quell it. I finally got used to the chalkiness of the Tums (but rarely kept them down, anyway). 

16 minutes ago, kachuu said:

I'm 26 weeks and getting heartburn now :my_sad: 

I feel like Tums are chalky. Anything else to take? Or foods to avoid?

I’m not pregnant but I do get bad heartburn - Tums makes a chewy version! They kind of look like oversized Skittles, they’re a lot easier to eat plus I feel like they work better for heartburn than the chalky ones. Give those a try if you can find them! I got mine at the local supermarket, so hopefully they’re available wherever you live!

27 minutes ago, kachuu said:

Its individual what triggers you with heartburn. I am 14 weeks and already get heartburn. So far the triggers are eating after 4 pm, and eating too much or fried. And multivitamin gives the worst heartburn too. I need to start taking tums.

9 minutes ago, ladybug15 said:

Its individual what triggers you with heartburn. I am 14 weeks and already get heartburn. So far the triggers are eating after 4 pm, and eating too much or fried. And multivitamin gives the worst heartburn too. I need to start taking tums.

And then going too long without eating makes you feel sick too! Or at least me (still!)

6 minutes ago, kachuu said:

And then going too long without eating makes you feel sick too! Or at least me (still!)

oh yes. I cant drink at night or I throw up, so I am parched. At least this time around I only throw up once or twice a day. With my twin pregnancy I was throwing up to 20 times a day till 20 weeks, and it didnt matter what I ate or drink.

The only thing I can keep is eggs. Eggs are lifesavers for me. And nowadays fried eggs smell like french toast:tw_blush:

1 hour ago, kachuu said:

Awwww man. It blows! Not laying down right after eating was the only thing that helped me. Tums smoothies are a little more.....smooth tasting? I hope it eases up for you!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived