IGNORED

Jinjer 36: Post-millennial Pregnancy

samurai_sarah

20 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

@Satan'sFortress I believe it's an old wives tale. I know people here say if you carry high, it's a girl and if you carry low, it's a boy. I don't think there's any data that backs it up. lol

Yea - it think its all bologna. I am having a boy and carrying high. He also has a higher heart beat which should indicated girl. 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also pregnant here. I'm 23 weeks on Thursday so I'm about a month ahead of Jinger. Regarding bloodwork, I got talked into doing quad-screen bloodwork around 15-16w that came back positive that our baby had down syndrome. This test has a pretty big margin of error and so they asked my very freaked out self to come back to do NIPT bloodwork, which I did immediately. Around 17-18 weeks (I'm sorry I don't remember exactly) they called and said everything tested negative for DS and that baby was a boy. I had my A/S at 21.5 weeks and it also confirmed boy. (That's a second boy for us!)

They've asked me with both pregnancies to do that quad-screen test and I've agreed only once, to my ultimate regret. I'll refuse it in future. I'd be willing to do an NIPT, but not that quad screen. Anyway, that's just an example of why Anna or someone else might have known sooner via bloodwork than at a 20w A/S what she's having.

I think most of that you're having a boy because of x and your having a girl because of y is subtly sexist. Mainly because it seems like all of the "you must be having a girl because...." things are like, Your ass got huge. You must be having a girl. Your skin looks bad. You must be having a girl. You're puking your guts out. You must be having a girl. None of the Old Wives' shit about boy pregnancies is as insulting.

I remember when Kate Middleton was pregnant with her first, loads of the tabloid mags were predicting that it could be a girl, or could be twins, partly due to her hyperememis gravidarum. Aaaaaand what happened? Prince George! A singleton male! :pb_lol:

Good luck to all the FJers who are pregnant, I hope you have lovely healthy babies :pb_razz:

10 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I remember when Kate Middleton was pregnant with her first, loads of the tabloid mags were predicting that it could be a girl, or could be twins, partly due to her hyperememis gravidarum. Aaaaaand what happened? Prince George! A singleton male! :pb_lol:

Good luck to all the FJers who are pregnant, I hope you have lovely healthy babies :pb_razz:

Those tabloid articles made me laugh really hard too. My MIL suffered brutal morning sickness during all three of her pregnancies. I don’t think she was diagnosed with HG, but she could barely keep anything down. All three of her kids are boys. Meanwhile, my mother enjoyed pretty mild morning sickness during her three pregnancies. She had two girls and a boy. And according to the Chinese Gender Predictor, my 14 month old daughter should have been a boy - but my bad morning sickness predicted a girl. 

So I’m firmly of the opinion that old wive’s tales and all those (non-medical) SEX predictors are a load of bull. 

I was so sick with this pregnancy and I wasn't at all with my toddler. My husband was sure we were going to have a girl this time. Nope, both are boys. 

1 hour ago, Screamapillar said:

I think most of that you're having a boy because of x and your having a girl because of y is subtly sexist. Mainly because it seems like all of the "you must be having a girl because...." things are like, Your ass got huge. You must be having a girl. Your skin looks bad. You must be having a girl. You're puking your guts out. You must be having a girl. None of the Old Wives' shit about boy pregnancies is as insulting.

I’ve totally heard people say that “girls steal your beauty” during pregnancy. 

16 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

I have a girl and my only pregnancy symptoms the entire 9 months involved my nose. Bloody noses and superhuman sense of smell. My daughter does have a very perfect little nose. I'm going to start a new Old Wives' tale that the part of your body that is most affected by pregnancy will equate to your child's best feature.

I'm 12 weeks with my second and not planning to find out the sex until the birth. But my pregnancy so far has been exactly the same as last time. (Only with 100% more exhaustion because: toddler.) My Mom had two boys and one girl with zero bad symptoms with any of us either, so I think I just won the genetic "easy pregnancy" lottery.

I got "You don't look pregnant from the back, it's probably a boy!" Nope. Currently pregnant with girl #2. And I barely had any morning sickness with either pregnancy, and the Chinese gender predictor said my first daughter should have been a boy. It's fun to speculate based on OWT but at the end of the day it clearly means nothing lol.

Also theres the one about having acne and looking like carp because girls steal your beauty but you will glow and be gorgeous with a boy.

3 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

I have a girl and my only pregnancy symptoms the entire 9 months involved my nose. Bloody noses and superhuman sense of smell. My daughter does have a very perfect little nose. I'm going to start a new Old Wives' tale that the part of your body that is most affected by pregnancy will equate to your child's best feature.

I'm 12 weeks with my second and not planning to find out the sex until the birth. But my pregnancy so far has been exactly the same as last time. (Only with 100% more exhaustion because: toddler.) My Mom had two boys and one girl with zero bad symptoms with any of us either, so I think I just won the genetic "easy pregnancy" lottery.

There are a lot of old wives tales.I was working when pregnant with my first son.The women at work told me I needed to drink water,or I would have a dry labor.I carried all three of my boys high,and some guessed girl ,some said boy.I had morning sickness every time,and heartburn.And some told me not to lift both arms above my head,or I'd strangle my baby.What was odd,with my oldest,I had nosebleeds and craved salty foods,and gravy,this child has nosebleeds and loves salty foods,especially gravy.With my second son,I craved peanut butter,this child loves peanut butter,not as much now,as he did when he was little.With my third son,I craved pickles,slim jims,and marshmallow pies.He loved all of those when he was little,when he was an adult,he did not care much for sweets.I remember another one.One day at work,I opened a door,the woman behind it came in,and startled me...she says"Oh,your baby will look like me"..."cause I scared you".Another friend at work said she was mad at her husband most of her pregnancy,her mother said the baby would look just like her husband,and he did.

On 20/02/2018 at 6:29 AM, Carm_88 said:

@Satan'sFortress I believe it's an old wives tale. I know people here say if you carry high, it's a girl and if you carry low, it's a boy. I don't think there's any data that backs it up. lol

To be fair, they had to come up with something since there was no technology at the time LOL. Good old wives tales and there are SO many 

9 hours ago, LegHumperBibleThumper said:

Yea - it think its all bologna. I am having a boy and carrying high. He also has a higher heart beat which should indicated girl. 

My boy I carried EVERYWHERE, I was huge, he was huge, he was low and wide mainly especially compared to my daughter who was high and straight out.  But everyone I met said the opposite, boys were high and girls were low,  

I didn't do any testing my doctor didn't even push for it, he was like, you are at low risk for any complications and these tests had a high risk of a false positive. My sister had all the tests because she was 10 years older than I was when I had kids, late 20's vs late 30's. 

4 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

Don't know why my daughter is pretty then.

I'm past having any beauty TO steal!

1 hour ago, melon said:

Another friend at work said she was mad at her husband most of her pregnancy,her mother said the baby would look just like her husband,and he did.

I feel like most babies look more like dad, especially in the first 2 months.   I know baby pictures of my dad and I are super similar, whereas starting around age 4 till now (30) I look significantly more like my mom. (Some pictures when I'm around 6, you legit can only tell which is me and which is mom because we have different eye colours)

2 hours ago, Nargus said:

I feel like most babies look more like dad, especially in the first 2 months.   I know baby pictures of my dad and I are super similar, whereas starting around age 4 till now (30) I look significantly more like my mom. (Some pictures when I'm around 6, you legit can only tell which is me and which is mom because we have different eye colours)

Evolutionary advantage. If baby looks like dad, easier to show paternity and get dad to take care of baby. At least that’s the theory I’ve heard. DD1’s pediatrician used to joke that it was so daddy wouldn’t eat her. 

I can't tell who a baby looks like so I always just agree with what everyone says.  When one of my mom's friends was pregnant her food craves were anything BBQ, ribs and basically anything meat.  Everyone told her that means the baby's a boy because apparently girls would never have those kind of cravings. What do you know she had a girl? Who still loves ribs, all meats and anything BBQ all her life. 

I had someone I work with do the "pencil trick" with me and another co-worker that was pregnant. It's basically if the pencil spins one way a certain number of times. I got two boys, she got two boys, then a girl. We laughed it off.

Years later and damn it, she was right for both of us. :pb_lol: 

OK< old wive's tales: Nobody's mentioned the "If you have heartburn, basically from conception, your baby's going to have a full head of hair."

I've heard a number of women say that they had heartburn so bad during the entire pregnancy they KNEW the child would have abundant hair... and some of these babies had amazing hair!!

Anyone else hear that one?

18 hours ago, lizzybee said:

I was so sick with this pregnancy and I wasn't at all with my toddler. My husband was sure we were going to have a girl this time. Nope, both are boys. 

That happened to me, too. I wasn't very sick with my 1st so when I was horribly dizzy and ill with baby #2, I was convinced it must be a girl. That 1st ultrasound was startling. 

47 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

OK< old wive's tales: Nobody's mentioned the "If you have heartburn, basically from conception, your baby's going to have a full head of hair."

I've heard a number of women say that they had heartburn so bad during the entire pregnancy they KNEW the child would have abundant hair... and some of these babies had amazing hair!!

Yes! But I didn't have any heartburn with my first, and she was born with a full head of hair. You could even see her hair floating around on ultrasound at 32 weeks.

Oh and to piggyback off @JordynDarby5's comment, with my first girl I craved nothing but meat, even though that's supposed to indicate boy. I would have been happy eating nothing but steak and chicken for every meal.

I had heartburn like MAD. Nope:  Virtually bald baby.

I carried high. Yep:  Girl baby.

Fast fetal heartbeat.  Yep:  Girl baby.

Crazy-ass morning sickness/Hyperemesis Gravidarum.  Yep:  Girl baby.

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

I've heard this one, and that is is statistically likely to be true, although not completely reliable.

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Yes!I had the worst heartburn with my oldest son,and he had a full head of hair.My mother told me that she also had terrible heartburn when she was carrying me.I had a full head of dark hair.My two older brothers had some hair,but it was blond,and not nearly as much as I did.My mother said at first,she worried she was given the wrong baby.

And sorry for the TMI but with my youngest son,if my stomach got completely empty,like overnight,I used to dry heave.Horrible.And with my first two sons,I had back labor first,not so with my youngest one.

I had some heartburn with both my kids but not crazy and they were both born with some but not lots of hair so maybe there is some truth to that.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived