IGNORED

Turpins - 13 shackled kids

Sideways

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My guess is the toys were sent to the children by relatives and they weren't allowed to open them.

I am also guessing that the oldest being 82 pounds might be because she shared her food with her younger siblings. If they all got one meal a day, and in pictures some of the children are thinner than others, I would guess the thinnest was sharing her food. It's possible they withheld food even more if she "misbehaved." Maybe helping the younger ones. I'm just imagining some of the older ones taking on a very motherly role towards the younger ones. Some at have felt protective over the youngest but could only do so much. 

Reading this just broke my heart. How can you torture your own children? Did they hope they would die so they could focus on miracle baby until she got too old? I just don't get this, but then again, who can guess evil. They are evil, evil animals. 

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to accept that even if they never see the outside of a prison for the rest of their lives they will still lead a better existence being institutionalized than the one they forced onto their own children. Prison will be luxury living in comparison.

i read that the parents had said "goodbye" to some people (neighbors?) right before the girl escaped. i'm wondering if they were moving away or...were contemplating something far worse. i wonder if this is what motivated the escape.

What must they have told the eldest boy to make him too scared to confide in the teacher or other students in his college class about what was happening at home and ask them to call for help for them? There must have been heavy threats and brainwashing there. And why let him study? Did they hope he would eventually support them?

1 minute ago, libgirl2 said:

Reading this just broke my heart. How can you torture your own children? Did they hope they would die so they could focus on miracle baby until she got too old? I just don't get this, but then again, who can guess evil. They are evil, evil animals. 

I know some animals kill and eat their children but do they torture them? I feel calling the Turpins animals is an insult to animals. And I don’t even like animals that much!

Considering how little the children seem to know about the world it might take a while to learn the full width of their horrors. If you don’t know what a police is (my three year old knows that) how would you possibly be able to explain sexual abuse? They will not even know that some of the things that were done to them is wrong or illegal. :my_cry:

7 minutes ago, FunFunFundie said:

But then juxtapose that with the fact that they took occasional trips to fucking DISNEYLAND of all places.  

I find it really interesting that Disneyland and Vegas seem to be the 2 destinations this fam was obsessed with. You keep your kids extremely isolated from the outside work and from reality at large and then the 2 places they are allowed to see are Simulacrums of reality. 

17 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

Interesting in the press releases he said religion was not a factor, but declined to answer when asked what motivated the parents to do it. 

I believe he finally said human depravity.  And how could he know the motivations - only the Turpins can answer that.

Even an experienced and hardened DA sounded shaken to the core about this one. 

Also, for those worried about the victims in the future, it looks as though CA has committed to providing both short and long-term services and care.  As some of the victims have cognitive deficits from long-term food deprivation and neuropathy from shackling they will need intensive and long-term care.

Just now, CaricatureQualities said:

I find it really interesting that Disneyland and Vegas seem to be the 2 destinations this fam was obsessed with. You keep your kids extremely isolated from the outside work and from reality at large and then the 2 places they are allowed to see are Simulacrums of reality. 

These details make this case uniquely bizarre and horrifying to me. 

People convince themselves that what they are doing is ok. I'm sure these parents told themselves (and each other) that these children NEEDED corrected and it was the best thing for them to learn how to behave. They told themselves that one meal a day is enough to live on. That normal childhood behavior like washing their hands above the wrist is misbehaving. They probably told themselves the beatings were spankings. That tying them up kept them from misbehaving. 

Deep down these people knew what they were doing was wrong. But they soothed their own guilt so many times with lies they told others and themselves. That's how these types live Day to day. 

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

People convince themselves that what they are doing is ok. I'm sure these parents told themselves (and each other) that these children NEEDED corrected and it was the best thing for them to learn how to behave. They told themselves that one meal a day is enough to live on. That normal childhood behavior like washing their hands above the wrist is misbehaving. They probably told themselves the beatings were spankings. That tying them up kept them from misbehaving. 

Deep down these people knew what they were doing was wrong. But they soothed their own guilt so many times with lies they told others and themselves. That's how these types live Day to day. 

I just don't get how they could have brought home food for themselves and not the kids and thought that was okay.  Thats an extra level of torture.  They knew they wanted to eat enough, how did they not see their kids weren't eating enough?  I don't believe they can have believed their own lies.  I think they must have liked causing pain.  I just don't see how it could have been different.

9 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I believe he finally said human depravity.  And how could he know the motivations - only the Turpins can answer that.

Even an experienced and hardened DA sounded shaken to the core about this one. 

Also, for those worried about the victims in the future, it looks as though CA has committed to providing both short and long-term services and care.  As some of the victims have cognitive deficits from long-term food deprivation and neuropathy from shackling they will need intensive and long-term care.

I tell you, he was shaken. I have followed true crime for the longest time, and seen all sorts of DAs. This guy was freaking horrified. I trust him to do good by those children. 

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think that's true to some extent, but not to THIS extent. I think it's true with a lot of fundies that I think are really abusing their children - the spankings are biblical and teaching the children to obey an all-powerful God, the isolation is to keep them from the world.

But your kids can't be sitting in their own shit, hogtied, and you think, "this is just as hard for me as it is for them, they will get stronger because of this."  

13 minutes ago, CaricatureQualities said:

I'm pretty positive it was more for the parents than the kids. 

6 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

I just don't get how they could have brought home food for themselves and not the kids and thought that was okay.  Thats an extra level of torture.  They knew they wanted to eat enough, how did they not see their kids weren't eating enough?  I don't believe they can have believed their own lies.  I think they must have liked causing pain.  I just don't see how it could have been different.

You could be right. They may have enjoyed the torture. Or they could have felt justified in some way. That their children were horrible behaved children that try to vex them by disobeying and they deserved it. 

2 minutes ago, FunFunFundie said:

I think that's true to some extent, but not to THIS extent. I think it's true with a lot of fundies that I think are really abusing their children - the spankings are biblical and teaching the children to obey an all-powerful God, the isolation is to keep them from the world.

But your kids can't be sitting in their own shit, hogtied, and you think, "this is just as hard for me as it is for them, they will get stronger because of this."  

I guess I've heard extreme child abusers talk about why they did it. It just seems common that they felt justified in their beatings and they "may" have gone too far. Even sexual abusers can justify it to themselves in different ways. They know they are wrong though. 

On 1/16/2018 at 2:13 AM, mango_fandango said:

Yep, the Maxwell kidults graduated from Flowing Streams Christian School (more like Stagnant Pond Christian Prison). I think naming a homeschool may be a thing to do, to have something to put on a graduation certificate maybe? Having said that, the only other family I know of who’ve done it are the Fergusons (four kids, shilling doTerra in an RV), the kids attend “4 Oaks Academy”. 

I'm pretty sure I remember someone with Little Fishes Academy or something.

1 minute ago, seattlechic said:

I trust him to do good by those children. 

I trust him, the Victims Advocates, and the state to do their best to protect and provide services to the victims.

Also, I'm trying not to pick on anyone in particular, but please try not to guess, form hypotheses, or speculate about the victims.  Including who was "heroic" and who was - less so.  I see a couple of wishful thinking fairy stories guesses above.

I'm sure the victims all did what they could to survive. Sometimes surviving oneself is at the expense of others.  It is also possible that some were targeted and punished worse than others, and that some had any and all ability to resist tortured out of them.

This is incredibly sad.

11 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

just don't get how they could have brought home food for themselves and not the kids and thought that was okay.  Thats an extra level of torture.  They knew they wanted to eat enough, how did they not see their kids weren't eating enough?  I don't believe they can have believed their own lies.  I think they must have liked causing pain.  I just don't see how it could have been different.

I agree. But lets face it guys, none of us are ever going to ever "get" anything about this. How could we? It would take a football team of psychoanalysts to even begin trying to figure these people out. And then another team of counselors just for those people. And the bottom line is there is no reason. We will never find anything that will explain this to us. There is no justification in the universe for their actions.

(not saying we shouldn't try though for recognition and prevention of this shit)

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

They probably wouldn't wear the v-necks due to the very modest upbringing. Small steps. 

I imagine having no body fat they are constantly cold, as well.  Plus with no chest to speak of, a v neck is going to be like Lori's navy blue shirt...cut down to there.

5 minutes ago, Talitha Cumi said:

I'm pretty sure I remember someone with Little Fishes Academy or something.

I have a variant of your name tattooed on me. Randomness lol

1 minute ago, CaricatureQualities said:

I agree. But lets face it guys, none of us are ever going to ever "get" anything about this. How could we? It would take a football team of psychoanalysts to even begin trying to figure these people out. And then another team of counselors just for those people. And the bottom line is there is no reason. We will never find anything that will explain this to us. There is no justification in the universe for their actions.

(not saying we shouldn't try though for recognition and prevention of this shit)

Oh I know we will never "get" it, but at least for me thats largely why I'm here.  How do you get there?  Are people just evil?  Why are they evil?  I'm not really expecting anyone to answer, sorry.

I have chronic, literal fire burning nerve pain in my back. I am lucky if I have a good day and on bad days, I feel like my back has been lit on fire and I'm burning alive. It is a pain I wouldn't even wish on a venomous animal or horrific serial killer. It's idiopathic neuropathy and they don't know what caused it. When I heard that some of these kids suffer from NEUROPATHY from the abuse, it struck a literal nerve within me. Most victims that suffer nerve pain have come out of international prison work-camps like North Korea. To think that these children are left with life-long nerve damage from the abuse makes me want to puke bile up. :tw_bawling:      :puke-huge:

When the cops showed up, they saw the 22 year old chained up. Before police arrived, the defendants quickly released 2 kids that were chained.

I am still in shock that one kid said he was hogtied and that this punishment could last for months. It makes me sick because this is abuse which is bad enough but is also literal torture.

Also, the parents would buy apple pies and eat it in front of the kids and not allow them to have any of it. Sick sick sick bastards! 

I have been extremely triggered by this and this news haunts my mind constantly now. I want answers and justice but most importantly and priority, help for the kids. I wish I could know how they are holding up- probably not good right now since it's all a major shock for them and they must adjust.

20 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

I know we will never "get" it, but at least for me thats largely why I'm here.  How do you get there?  Are people just evil?  Why are they evil?  I'm not really expecting anyone to answer, sorry

No need to be sorry, that's why we are here. I agree with you. It is mind boggling and really makes one have to question the existence of evil no matter what your beliefs are. Please, Post away!

1 minute ago, luv2laugh said:

I have chronic, literal fire burning nerve pain in my back. It is a pain I wouldn't even wish on a venomous animal or horrific serial killer. It's idiopathic neuropathy and they don't know what caused it. When I heard that some of these kids suffer from NEUROPATHY from the abuse, it struck a literal nerve within me. Most victims that suffer nerve pain have come out of international prison situations and work-camps. To think that these children are left with life-long nerve damage from the abuse makes me want to puke bile up. :tw_bawling:      :puke-huge:

you and me both. I had a disk pop in my neck a few years ago and MOTHERFKKKKK the pain was beyond anything i had ever experienced.

10 minutes ago, Curious said:

I imagine having no body fat they are constantly cold, as well.  Plus with no chest to speak of, a v neck is going to be like Lori's navy blue shirt...cut down to there.

Being starved means living so differently than nourished that it's just horrible to think about. Like you mentioned they are most likely always cold. They are also probably tired a lot and inactive for children. Being starved does actually seem more "docile" or quiet. But the poor kids just didn't have the extra energy. So even if they were allowed to run around and play outside, they probably couldn't play like other kids. They probably didn't menstruate or sweat much. Their skin was probably dry a lot. They probably didn't actually go to the bathroom much. So even though they weren't allowed to go to the restroom while tied up, they probably didn't need to use the toilet much. You don't poop much when you're starved :(

And their parents did that to them.  The people you should always be able to trust and go to! How do you do that to your kids?  I just can't imagine being that evil.  And the psychological torture of showing them the things they couldn't have, that they needed to survive.  How can they ever move on from this?  

More details are being released - the escape plan was a joint effort:

“The 17-year-old explained that she, along with other brothers and sisters, had been planning the escape for two years”

They are all so amazingly brave.

• dawbs locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived