IGNORED

Turpins - 13 shackled kids

Sideways

I went through all of this and I just wanted to cry. I can't imagine what kind of a mind you would have to have, to treat your kids like that. My cats cry for food and I give it to them. I can't imagine how those kids must have cried in the beginning. My heart is breaking. 

God the Dad's hair looks like a bad wig. 

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Again disclaimer!!! I'm not making excuses!

But the fact that they married when she was 16 and he was 23 is not that surprising to me if the husband turns out to be the leader in the abuse. Because it's much easier for someone to mold a 16 year old into what they want compared to a grown adult. 

It reminds me of Kurina Hale, meeting Bobby Hale (Papa Pilgrim) when she was 16 and he was in his thirties, then giving birth to endless children. She didn’t perpetuate abuse, but she also wasn’t capable of protecting her kids from their father after years of abuse and basically growing up isolated and under his influence.

But they were in the middle of nowhere with limited and unreliable transportation - this was in suburbia

3 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I went through all of this and I just wanted to cry. I can't imagine what kind of a mind you would have to have, to treat your kids like that. My cats cry for food and I give it to them. I can't imagine how those kids must have cried in the beginning. My heart is breaking. 

God the Dad's hair looks like a bad wig. 

THIS! My 3 fatty foster failures were being very dramatic about wanting their canned food ASAP a second ago (I free feed dry, I know, I know...) and I literally couldn't finish what I was doing, I had to stop and open their cans (and smash it just right and sprinkle their probiotic...).

I cannot imagine.

My daughter's diet is gfcfdfsf and she enthusiastically  eats really, really healthy stuff. Loves a good old bag of raw spinach as a snack (blechh), but sometimes in the grocery store, I see her eyeballing a cupcake and I feel VERY guilty. Like I am depriving her. 

But this...

50 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

He looks terrible. It also makes me so angry to see him be so overweight when his children are emaciated.

Hide contents

E7e3KAC.png?1

I think this is one instance where we can all agree that FAT SHAMING the fuck out of this horrifying excuse for a person is okay to do and even encouraged. 

19 minutes ago, lilith said:

It reminds me of Kurina Hale, meeting Bobby Hale (Papa Pilgrim) when she was 16 and he was in his thirties, then giving birth to endless children. She didn’t perpetuate abuse, but she also wasn’t capable of protecting her kids from their father after years of abuse and basically growing up isolated and under his influence.

But they were in the middle of nowhere with limited and unreliable transportation - this was in suburbia

Actually not. If you look at the story of the Hales, they were in plain view many times.  Prior to Alaska they were in CA - in plain view. 

The Hales were a blue grass band and performed in public many times, FFS.  People thought they were a bit quirky.  People thought it was awful that the kids had bruises and scavenged for food.  But Papa Pilgrim was "charming."

What is shocking about their story, and the Turpins' story, is how many times they were in plain view and people ignored the issue.   Many people, including Hale's SIL, ignored the red flags.  And failed to report.  Hale's SIl's book is informative.  I did not like that woman.

The point about child abuse is that it crosses all demographics.  Your charming educated "professional" parents can be abusing their children as much as the people in Deliverance.  Not all dysfunctional families are as obvious as the Beans of Egypt, Maine.

There is a community responsibility (mandated reporters or not) to report red flags.  But so many people fail in that responsibility.

Unfortunately, and this is a massive failure of the system, people fail to report suspicions.  As in the Turpin case.  

CPS and APS have yet to train flocks of vultures to circle over abusive homes.  I wish they could.

12 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Actually not. If you look at the story of the Hales, they were in plain view many times.  Prior to Alaska they were in CA - in plain view. 

The Hales were a blue grass band and performed in public many times, FFS.  People thought they were a bit quirky.  People thought it was awful that the kids had bruises and scavenged for food.  But Papa Pilgrim was "charming."

What is shocking about their story, and the Turpins' story, is how many times they were in plain view and people ignored the issue.   Many people, including Hale's SIL, ignored the red flags.  And failed to report.  Hale's SIl's book is informative.  I did not like that woman.

The point about child abuse is that it crosses all demographics.  Your charming educated "professional" parents can be abusing their children as much as the people in Deliverance.  Not all dysfunctional families are as obvious as the Beans of Egypt, Maine.

There is a community responsibility (mandated reporters or not) to report red flags.  But so many people fail in that responsibility.

Unfortunately, and this is a massive failure of the system, people fail to report suspicions.  As in the Turpin case.  

CPS and APS have yet to train flocks of vultures to circle over abusive homes.  I wish they could.

I’m thinking their early years in New Mexico, not when Hale took them on the road then decided to become a cause celebre for inholders rights in Alaska. There was over a decade between their hippie days and bluegrass days where the kids and Kurina rarely left the mountain.

19 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Thanks, I was thinking the same. I sincerely hope this tragic story will have the following outcome: that anyone who has ever witnessed disturbing or unusual behavior involving children in their neighborhood will pick up the phone and call the cops or CPS and ask for a wellness check.

This story is an extreme case of abuse, but I shudder at the thought of all the isolated children in sometimes "picture perfect" homeschool families, with NO ONE to defend them against tyrannical parents or guardians, and no way to know if what they are living is abusive or illegal.

Where did she go? Anyone know? I know she called 911 on the deactivated cell but where did she escape too, doesn't matter, just curious.

There is a possibility that young children were not abused to the same level ever. There were 12 children in 2011 when he signed his grandmother’s memorial page. There is at least a 7 year age difference between the baby and the next youngest child.

I mention this only because their futures will be different if they were fed adequately when they were little just like their baby sister or were deprived and starved all along. The difference being properly (or even closer to adequate) in those years will allow their brains to have developed better and their cognitive recover prognosis better.

15 minutes ago, lilith said:

I’m thinking their early years in New Mexico

So was I.  Plenty of people observed abuse and children scavenging for food when the Hales were on Jack Nicholson's ranch in New Mexico.  None of them did a sodding thing.

3 minutes ago, adidas said:

I’m calling it now. That yellow bellied scumbag will kill himself in prison.

Don't they put people on suicide watch?

Just now, meee said:

Don't they put people on suicide watch?

Yes but if they’re determined to do it, they find a way (see Ariel Castro).

My heart breaks a little bit more each time I visit this thread, it just keeps getting worse, and worse.

I'm not the praying type, but I pray the Turpin Thirteen can find some semblance of normalcy beyond this, and live happy lives, surrounded by people who will treat them with the kindness, respect, and dignity they deserve.

I hope the parents live the rest of their lives miserable, uncomfortable, and afraid-- and that's the kindest wish I can muster for them. I hope they rot. 

On websleuths, some are putting together a care package for the kids. I feel like doing the same thing. A fresh art-kit complete with colored pencils, therapeutic coloring books, and art pads sound like something they could enjoy.

They also seem like they were readers since the list says to send "books on emotions and feelings". I am going to go to the book store and get good, positive and kid-friendly books. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Also, a stuffed animal to hug. Colorful stickers.

This story has deeply triggered me and I want to use my sadness and energy over this to do something good. I'm not an admin and have no way of knowing if this is possible but perhaps we at FreeJinger could all set up a drive or a gift together to let them know that the kids have people that have a special heart for those coming from fundamentalism and abuse?  I just want the kids to know they're loved by MANY people. Maybe at the very least we could set up a "letter" drive to send them cards from everyone at FreeJinger???

Also below in the spoiler is the FULL Turpin court appearance video.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, raised in rebellion said:

Just when I thought Jill and Lori were the worst...how many sickos are out there?!?! 

A lot.  And some in your very own back yard.  Most do not hit the headlines.  Most do not involve this many victims.  But some are just as revolting.

Horrific cases like this always bring out the outrage.  The question in my mind is always - how long will that outrage last.  Probably just until the next horrible case.

In the meantime - will anyone try to do anything to improve matters?  Will people be more alert to abuse?  Will people stop slinging blame and look to their own responsibilities in their own back yards?

Will people start to report suspicions?  Will people try to get more funding for (desperately underfunded) CPS?  Will people look more critically at homeschooling?  Will people lobby for more oversight of homeschooling parents?

Don't get me wrong.  Homeschooling is not intrinsically evil.  Far from it.  Good people homeschool well.  However, the lack of oversight over homeschooling gives people bent on abuse really good cover.  People who homeschool well should not object to being checked up on - for the greater good of the community.

And if you think the Turpins are unique - perhaps only in the large number of victims.

Read the list and weep:  https://hsinvisiblechildren.org/

I have 2 Type 1 Diabetic kids and sometimes I have to say “no “ to super fatty or super sugary foods to keep their blood glucose under control.
I always feel bad.
These parents are MONSTERS.

(Can someone point me towards Websleuths because I cannot find it, alas.)

56 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Jim Bob, Michelle and Josh Duggar were in plain sight on TV, and JB and M are still there.

38 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

In the meantime - will anyone try to do anything to improve matters?  Will people be more alert to abuse?  Will people stop slinging blame and look to their own responsibilities in their own back yards?

Will people start to report suspicions?  Will people try to get more funding for (desperately underfunded) CPS?  Will people look more critically at homeschooling?  Will people lobby for more oversight of homeschooling parents

We have to channel this anger and rage for good like so many have done with the Trump election and Time's Up movement. Let's channel it to support for social safety nets, things fundies completely abhor.  My conservative grandmother always said "A parent always knows best-- NOT the government" yeah, well clearly that is not at all the case in everyone's situation.  As a parent, I'd personally rather deal with concerns of government overstep than to know there are kids like the Turpins being abuseds hungry, & neglected, allowed to rot chained up in their waste because nobody cares. I know there are some people that live in fear of CPS taking their kids away for things like not vaccinating but clearly CPS has a serious place in our world.

Here is the link to the Websleuths Crime Forum someone asked for: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?362873-CA-13-victims-ages-2-to-29-shackled-in-home-by-parents-Perris-15-Jan-2018-3/page3

6 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Corona Chamber of Commerce, which is coordinating the donations for the children, advised today that the public is welcome to send letters to the (I believe 7) adult children who are recovering at Corona Regional Medical Center.    The address is:

Corona Regional Medical Center, 800 South Main Street, Corona, CA 92882  to the attention of:  Linda Pearson

Write a cover note to her explaining the letters are for the adult children.   Was advised that the letters should be "simple", at an "elementary school level".   Drawings are also welcome.   

Thank you! I'm on this now! I wonder how I should address it? A separate one for each of the 7 kids or one addressing all of them? Hmm... Any suggestions?

16yo SeaFilly 2 has been affected by this case and wants to do something. I suggested organizing treat bags for children in local domestic violence units rather than sending items to the Turpin family since I feel they will get overwhelmed with the out-pouring of generosity.

6 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

Thank you! I'm on this now! I wonder how I should address it? A separate one for each of the 7 kids or one addressing all of them? Hmm... Any suggestions?

I would address one to each adult child.  Card, drawing, letter.   Simple language, like "Get better soon",  "The world cares",  "We love you,"  etcetera.   My heart broke hearing that these victims, now in their twenties, would best understand elementary level language.  ;( ;(.    

13 minutes ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

16yo SeaFilly 2 has been affected by this case and wants to do something. I suggested organizing treat bags for children in local domestic violence units rather than sending items to the Turpin family since I feel they will get overwhelmed with the out-pouring of generosity.

I agree with you on that. To make it fair and equal, I am allowing myself to send a care package for the Turpin kids but I'm also going to be sending a care package to domestic violence units and non-profits supporting needy families & children.

So far, my care packages will include:

• A simple, loving letter
  • Sticker books from the dollar tree
  • Crayons and colored pencils
  • A doodle art notebook
  • Coloring books
  • Books: picture books for the little ones and  positive, adventure books for the older ones

All of these items won't break the bank and will be SO enjoyed! It makes me feel *a little* better just thinking about it! I am just going to go head over to the Dollar Tree for most of these items. I need to channel the energy this news has triggered into something positive and productive. The news has really shaken me up, constantly checking for news updates, and I've been crying a ton but I know that it will inspire myself and others to action for the Turpin kids but also locally, for all the kids in our communities suffering. 

Regarding channeling anger toward helping children, my local CPS does a bags and bears every year. They collect new stuffed animals, backpacks, bags, for foster kids. 

It is very heartbreaking to welcome a foster child to your house when they move in with all their possessions ..... in a big, plastic, garbage bag.

This would be awesome:

"CPS and APS have yet to train flocks of vultures to circle over abusive homes.  I wish they could."

• dawbs locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived