IGNORED

Joy and Austin 18: 234 Days Since the Wedding and Counting

Coconut Flan

I will say that formula manufacturers who aggressively market powdered formula to women in countries without consistent access to clean and safe water supplies make me sick. These women are often very poor also. It is  reprehensible for these companies to work towards creating the perception that  formula feeding is preferable to breastfeeding. The discussion has been Euro and USA centric, but mothers all over must feed their babies. I also understand extended breastfeeding more in these situations. Undernourished mothers will not likely produce an adequate milk supply, which is another issue to be addressed. No simple answers I know, but manipulating new moms for profit strikes me as wrong. Regardless of what you may think about breastfeeding, it is pretty much free!

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, LittleGooseberryPie said:

Okay, so I have been a lurker for years (so I feel like I already know you guys !) and this is the most unexpected reasons for me to come out of lurkdom buuuttt....

I was rewatching Joy's wedding episode because tbh I kinda zoned out the first time around and felt a bit out of the loop on her story and was shocked to see her using Ben Nye makeup. I was a face character at Walt Disney World and while we used our own base products, we could not stray from the provided Ben Nye products due to character integrity/how it photographed, I also used it while doing ballet so I'm just curious. Why would the Duggars be using performance grade makeup?? Really dumb question on the outside but it took me down a thought path of wondering if TLC provided it for it to show up on film. The lack of plot, reusing the same storylines when we know they have more interesting things going on behind the scenes, lack of care or presentation....so it just seems like an odd thing for TLC to actually care about enough to provide. 

Are there any other shots of the girls getting ready? Curious if this is a 'daily filming' routine or just for the wedding.

Totally a random tangent but I figured if anyone would understand, it was you guys, lol.

It's been ages since I watched Joy's wedding footage, did she do her own makeup, or was there a makeup artist hired? It's possible that the girls have been on TV for so long that they've gravitated towards more longwear 'performance' makeup. 

Or they could have had her hair and makeup professionally done and then done 'pickup shots' of her doing her own makeup and her sisters helping with her hair.

15 minutes ago, Nargus said:

It's been ages since I watched Joy's wedding footage, did she do her own makeup, or was there a makeup artist hired? It's possible that the girls have been on TV for so long that they've gravitated towards more longwear 'performance' makeup. 

Or they could have had her hair and makeup professionally done and then done 'pickup shots' of her doing her own makeup and her sisters helping with her hair.

It showed them all getting themselves ready. I was looking more so at the products laid out than the people, so I could have missed it.

I still wear Ben Nye products (because  wearing toned down performance makeup daily is the hardest habit to break for me) and it's seriously wonderful. It isn't going anywhere, I'm just really shocked that of all the things TLC overlooks, how their makeup films is a priority. 

That being said, Joy was absolutely gorgeous on her wedding day. Her and Jana have such a softness in their features, and I'm starting to notice how much they look alike. 

1 hour ago, LittleGooseberryPie said:

I was rewatching Joy's wedding episode because tbh I kinda zoned out the first time around and felt a bit out of the loop on her story and was shocked to see her using Ben Nye makeup. I was a face character at Walt Disney World and while we used our own base products, we could not stray from the provided Ben Nye products due to character integrity/how it photographed, I also used it while doing ballet so I'm just curious. Why would the Duggars be using performance grade makeup?? Really dumb question on the outside but it took me down a thought path of wondering if TLC provided it for it to show up on film. The lack of plot, reusing the same storylines when we know they have more interesting things going on behind the scenes, lack of care or presentation....so it just seems like an odd thing for TLC to actually care about enough to provide. 

So certain Ben Nye stuff has actually made its way out into the beauty world for not-just-performance stuff. My mom went to clown school so she knew about Ben Nye ages before I did, but people in online beauty communities like reddit's MakeupAddiction subreddit are big fans of some Ben Nye products, like the Final Seal spray. So it's a toss up for me as to whether TLC provided products or the makeup artist just uses them and likes them.

The Duggar girls would  never wear make-up from Bill Nye! But maybe if Ken Hamm puts out a make-up line....

Imagine all the fun product names.

I know there is a heavy breast feeding debate going on but Jinger posted a bump update picture saying "15 weeks" so doesn't this make her due in July? And if she is due in July and Joy said in the congratulations video that Jinger's baby will be 6 months older than her baby doesn't that mean Joy is due this month? Would that also mean she conceived in April, a month before her wedding?  :dontgetit:

5 minutes ago, BunnyBee said:

I know there is a heavy breast feeding debate going on but Jinger posted a bump update picture saying "15 weeks" so doesn't this make her due in July? And if she is due in July and Joy said in the congratulations video that Jinger's baby will be 6 months older than her baby doesn't that mean Joy is due this month? Would that also mean she conceived in April, a month before her wedding?  :dontgetit:

Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind, I have that doctors date a pregnancy from the last day of your last period, not the date you reckon you conceived.......I could be wrong tho

13 minutes ago, psycho-hope said:

Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind, I have that doctors date a pregnancy from the last day of your last period, not the date you reckon you conceived.......I could be wrong tho

I have never had a child so this would make sense that I did not know this knowledge haha 

also @justmy2cents it could very well be Joy's terrible adding skills :lol:

1 minute ago, BunnyBee said:

I have never had a child so this would make sense that I did not know this knowledge haha 

also @justmy2cents it could very well be Joy's terrible adding skills :lol:

I did anatomy and physiology when i was getting my associates, i reckon thats where I remember it from:my_biggrin:

1 hour ago, psycho-hope said:

This is a thing haha. And you might have heard it on here because it sparked a bit of a debate a few months ago. 

Sorry for the thread drift interruption :my_biggrin:

Someone mentioned further upthread that Joy might have deleted the video of their house because of the negative feedback it received. If that is the case, I do feel sorry for her. Add that to the "I'm still very much pregnant" comment and I wonder if she's not too happy about getting pregnant so quickly and maybe just a bit overwhelmed with the quick adjustment from living at the Duggar compound to getting married and pregnant, owning a house etc. I wish she could just be honest about that rather than having to keep sweet on the show. Then again, given the very little glimpses we get of their life, I suspect she's not too keen on the spotlight and she doesn't have to spell out her emotions for the world to see, of course. If they ever quit the show, I'd say good for her/them! 

This is all pure speculation on my part, of course.

By the way, did we ever see any footage of their honeymoon? The Counting On timeline is so confusing. We did see Joy pregnant at JoKen's wedding, even though they tried to hide it, right? So that means it's now back to JoKen's wedding planning... during which JoStin went on honeymoon, no? Now my brain crashed :crashh:

Carry on now...

3 hours ago, BunnyBee said:

Argh, I just responded to you in the JinJer thread because I somehow assumed you had posted there! :)

As someone who is currently a bit more than 15 weeks along herself, I can confirm that Jinger is due in July (probably around 22 July). Joy is probably due in early February, so she may have counted all of February and all of July as being inbetween her and Jinger's due date. That would explain the "6 months older" statement.

Joy really must have gotten pregnant almost immediately after the wedding.

It's a badge of honour in their culture, I know, and she is probably feeling super proud and happy, but I can't help feeling a bit sad that she and Austin hardly had the possibility to really just enjoy and get to know each other without constraints and chaperoning even for a few months before taking on the immense challenges of pregnancy and parenthood.

Pregnancy is counted from the start date of your last period.  Because you typically ovulate about two weeks after the start of your last period, you’re technically two weeks pregnant when you conceive.  It can be confusing, but it’s how the medical community does it.  It’s also important to remember that pregnancy is actually 40 weeks.

Joy got married on May 26.  For fun, let’s say she ovulated the day she was married.  On average, that means her last period would have started around May 12, making her due date February 16, according to an online calculator. Rufus help us all if she delivers even a little early, the gossip mags will be all over it.

If Jinger is due around July 20, their babies will only be 5 months apart, but I can’t fault Joy for getting it wrong.  Pregnancy brain is a real thing and she didn’t have a very good education at that dining room table.

4 hours ago, DillyDally said:

Sorry for the thread drift interruption :my_biggrin:

Someone mentioned further upthread that Joy might have deleted the video of their house because of the negative feedback it received. If that is the case, I do feel sorry for her. Add that to the "I'm still very much pregnant" comment and I wonder if she's not too happy about getting pregnant so quickly and maybe just a bit overwhelmed with the quick adjustment from living at the Duggar compound to getting married and pregnant, owning a house etc. I wish she could just be honest about that rather than having to keep sweet on the show. Then again, given the very little glimpses we get of their life, I suspect she's not too keen on the spotlight and she doesn't have to spell out her emotions for the world to see, of course. If they ever quit the show, I'd say good for her/them! 

This is all pure speculation on my part, of course.

By the way, did we ever see any footage of their honeymoon? The Counting On timeline is so confusing. We did see Joy pregnant at JoKen's wedding, even though they tried to hide it, right? So that means it's now back to JoKen's wedding planning... during which JoStin went on honeymoon, no? Now my brain crashed :crashh:

Carry on now...

I think their honeymoon will air this season, right? along with Joken's. Maybe they'll actually realize showing prep after the wedding isn't interesting?

51 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I think their honeymoon will air this season, right? along with Joken's. Maybe they'll actually realize showing prep after the wedding isn't interesting?

Oh, please, please Rufus let this be the case.

I am not getting my hopes up. We'll probably see wedding prep interspersed with flashbacks and boring obviously staged Duggar outings/projects.

It can be confusing too trying to figure out how many months pregnant you are. People like to assume 4 weeks= 1 month but months don't work like that. It's way easier for me to just say how many weeks I am and not even worry about what month that makes me. Join any pregnancy board and you will see tons of posts of women trying to figure it out. 

I've complained about this before, but... Prep after the wedding is SO BORING and it only keeps the show ages behind what's happening in real life. If they want to catch the show up a little bit they really should ditch the wedding prep that no one cares about because it's the same every time anyway. Even though the stupid Duggar outings are pretty staged I like them better than the same old "Duggar Bride X needs to pick a wedding dress! What a difficult choice! What will she choose for her parking lot reception? Oh look, they're breaking tradition and having the bride and groom see each other on the morning of the big day! Look at this giant mega church! Oh no, there was a mishap with the food/the decor/someone's dress!" 

2 minutes ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

I've complained about this before, but... Prep after the wedding is SO BORING and it only keeps the show ages behind what's happening in real life. If they want to catch the show up a little bit they really should ditch the wedding prep that no one cares about because it's the same every time anyway.

This what I can't understand. They spend FOREVER focusing on boring prep stuff/random outings, when there are constantly actually interesting (by comparison) things going on in Duggarlard. New babies, new marriages, new couples getting to know each other, new decisions about how to live their faith........but no, here's a wedding flowers fiasco that happened six months ago. :pb_rollseyes: They can't be purposefully saving all the juicy stuff for future seasons, right? I mean they didn't even know how many seasons this circus can last for. I get the sense that TLC is very much playing this Counting On thing by ear.

13 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

So certain Ben Nye stuff has actually made its way out into the beauty world for not-just-performance stuff.

Yeah, I've definitely seen beauty bloggers/vloggers talk about Ben Nye products, specifically the banana powder(?). Also if they had makeup artists around that makes it even less surprising too.

18 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Maybe It's not a big deal in other countries but if you Google breastfeeding in public, there are several videos of women purposely filming who say they are expecting a confrontation. Then there's this...

Hide contents

Screenshot_20180126-171924.thumb.jpg.f38941e3a7e5b4d7179d8c8108d9e4cd.jpg

Mind you the woman she claims "shamed" her didn't say a word, or even complain to a manager. Just gave her a dirty look. She was looking to make a scene. Big difference between that and this

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20180126-172252.thumb.jpg.eee0b4e72678f0e2a93b6ed8b2dc412f.jpg

A little courtesy from both sides goes a long way.

I honestly see nothing at all wrong with the first picture. I guess if women are trying to be confrontational about it than that's something else and shouldn't be applauded, but simply sitting there breastfeeding like that seems fine. I also think a lot of these women expect a confrontation because they have been confronted, repeatedly, by people who should be minding their own damn business. Why should women be required to cover up the tops of their breasts (as in the second picture) when you see just as much at the beach?  

I don't like the idea that 'discretion' is something that should be used while breastfeeding -- what is there that should be hidden? In my mind discreet is a word people use who are looking to have an affair, not feed their child. In the context of not revealing women's bodies it seems to be just a more mainstream version of the modesty ideas we all rail against when the Duggars use them. The idea that breastfeeding women (or any women, really) should cover their breasts because seeing them makes people (but especially men) uncomfortable is just an extension of the reasoning that's used to say that women should cover their knees and shoulders.  It doesn't matter that most people don't have sexual thoughts about knees and shoulders -- the reasoning is the same.  And there was a time not that long ago when women's knees and shoulders would have been seen as very sexual in public.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I just wish we could get to a place where women could go topless in public if they want without people being horrified by it, the same as men do -- obviously people should wear what they're comfortable in, but the idea that women who might want to do otherwise have to cover their chests in public because men sexualize them is ridiculous to me. Guess what, women also sexualize men's chests/shoulders/arms, but that doesn't mean men aren't allowed to go around without a shirt on.

I get that sometimes seeing breasts in public makes people uncomfortable, but lots of things are uncomfortable at first as social norms change that later turn out to be fine.  Plato argued something similar in the Republic when he said that women should be allowed to exercise too, just as men do (back then everyone exercised in the nude) and said people would be embarrassed at first but they would get over it and equality and health were worth some embarrassment. I wish the ancient Greeks would have listened to him (on that count at least) -- maybe we would have made more progress against patriarchy by now if they had. 

I thought what Austin and Joy have done to their house is great! I've lived through renovations and everything seems organized. Hopefully they continue to buy and flip houses. It is nice to see a Duggar spouse with a career goal other than Minister. You can be a conservative Christian and have a job other than preaching. 

Hope this doesn't sound too snotty, but I hope when Joy and Austin begin to consider their kids' education, they send them to school (private, religious or public) or at least join a Co-op. Joy was lost in the pack of Howlers and doesn't Appear to be that well educated. I think the older kids got a bit more of Michelle's attention and the littles seem to have live-in tutors, but Joy is #9 of 19. Also, since her Sister-Mom was responsible for a lot of the meal preparations, I bet Joy was pulled from her lessons to assist more often than the boys. 

6 minutes ago, bananabread said:

This what I can't understand. They spend FOREVER focusing on boring prep stuff/random outings, when there are constantly actually interesting (by comparison) things going on in Duggarlard. New babies, new marriages, new couples getting to know each other, new decisions about how to live their faith........but no, here's a wedding flowers fiasco that happened six months ago. :pb_rollseyes: They can't be purposefully saving all the juicy stuff for future seasons, right? I mean they didn't even know how many seasons this circus can last for. I get the sense that TLC is very much playing this Counting On thing by ear.

There are so many things that are actually interesting about the Duggars-- that is part of the reason why a lot of us come here to talk about them... I think the problem is that the Duggars have a certain brand image they want to maintain and that's boring, wholesome, "Look at us we're a totally normal family we just love Jesus and there happen to be 500 of us!" They don't want to show any conflict in the family, anyone questioning anything about their lives... They don't even really want to shed light on the fact that they're in some weird fundamentalist Gothard sect. They just want everyone to think they're regular old Conservative Christians that happen to have some funny, increasingly flexible rules about how they dress. So if they can't even be honest on the show about what they actually are, they can't show conflict. We can never dig deep into how anyone actually feels about anything: how Jinger and Jill feel now that they've changed how they dress... why Jana really hasn't courted or married and remains at home... the extent of Jill's doubts about basically getting into an arranged marriage with a guy she barely knew. It doesn't comport with the "we're a totally happy Jesus family" party line.

It would be so interesting to be a "fly on the wall," so to speak, at the Duggar house. But all of that gets lost to the shiny plastic image they're trying to create with the show and so instead we get manufactured drama like someone leaving the freezer open on Jessa's wedding day and all her ice cream favors melting.

A lot of people will saying 'like six months' or 'about six months' if they can't be bothered to figure out the exact time period in question. It's a nice round number. I wouldn't read anything else into it.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived