IGNORED

Joy and Austin 18: 234 Days Since the Wedding and Counting

Coconut Flan

7 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

A lot of people will saying 'like six months' or 'about six months' if they can't be bothered to figure out the exact time period in question. It's a nice round number. I wouldn't read anything else into it.

Agreed. I do this all the time. For example, right now I’d probably label anything during the summer as happening “in like 6 months.” It’s easier just to break the year in half like that than sit and count the exact number when you’re into the middle of a conversation or whatever.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I have a friend who never even tried to breastfeed her kids.  She just wasn't interested. She works in a hospital (the best in our area) and had access to anything she wanted to help (the best pump out there) but she knew it wasn't for her. 

Just want to say, I worked in a large NICU when I had my kids- best pumps available, doesn't mean that I was allotted the time needed to pump at my leisure (My kids are 30 and 27, so protection laws have likely changed)...I wasn't employed to use the equipment for myself. 

12 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

No @BunnyBee, it would just mean that Joy is bad at math. All kidding aside I think Joy was just rounding up to half a year.

Agreed that a Duggar would be far more likely to be bad at math than to be PG (or with a PG GF) before their wedding day and first kiss on the altar.

2 hours ago, Markie said:

I thought what Austin and Joy have done to their house is great! I've lived through renovations and everything seems organized. Hopefully they continue to buy and flip houses. It is nice to see a Duggar spouse with a career goal other than Minister. You can be a conservative Christian and have a job other than preaching.

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere by someone that Austin too was hoping to become a preacher....? I think I saw this mentioned at some point and was very disappointed.

If someone here could confirm that I must have been hallucinating and Austin never expressed any ambitions of the sort, I would be extremely relieved and grateful!

Just wondering - what’s the market for preachers? You can’t survive on the donations from a very small congregation, I guess...

Just now, Rosalie said:

Just wondering - what’s the market for preachers? You can’t survive on the donations from a very small congregation, I guess...

I grew up in a small Baptist church. Our pastor wasn't given a house and was paid about $250 a week. He maintained a regular job like everyone else the rest of the week.

In Norway there are not many free-churches, most christians are member of the church of Norway, which is a Lutheran denomination of Protestant Christianity that serves as the people's church of Norway, as set forth in the Constitution of Norway, and have congregations in all municipalities. The priests are educated from university and work full time in the church. Second biggest church is the catholic church. There are a few fundamental christian congregations, but they are small and hardly visible in the public at all.

I stopped watching CO. It was too boring, and the wonky timeline is annoying. The wedding prep is mind numbing. I get all my news here, and it's far more entertaining. I would have preferred watching a scripted outing to wedding prep, but it doesn't matter anymore because I would rather watch paint dry than watch CO again.

I liked that Joy shared her house (I saw it here) because it was one of the only real things I've seen these people do. I'm not sure that she was given a hard time about it. I think the comments were more or less stating the obvious (electric box in the living room, uneven windows, tools on the floor), along with the personal sharing of preferences and regional housing differences (use of a mudroom, etc.) If she was criticized, I missed it. 

I don't think she's sad or regretting being pregnant, and I doubt that owning a home is overwhelming. I got married when I was 20. I wanted to be married. I wanted to be a mom and have a house. None of it was overwhelming. All of it was exciting. I'm sure some people thought I was too young, and I was, for all the reasons that have been mentioned on FJ before, but at the time, in the moment, I was excited. It is very possible that she's happy with her current situation. 

My mom married when she was 18, straight out of secondary education. My dad was two years older. They had to save some money before they could start building house, and waited to try for baby until they had started to build, my mom was 21 when I was born. Almost all of their friends married and had children between age 18 and 23.

9 hours ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

Pregnancy is counted from the start date of your last period.  Because you typically ovulate about two weeks after the start of your last period, you’re technically two weeks pregnant when you conceive.  It can be confusing, but it’s how the medical community does it.  It’s also important to remember that pregnancy is actually 40 weeks.

Joy got married on May 26.  For fun, let’s say she ovulated the day she was married.  On average, that means her last period would have started around May 12, making her due date February 16, according to an online calculator. Rufus help us all if she delivers even a little early, the gossip mags will be all over it.

If Jinger is due around July 20, their babies will only be 5 months apart, but I can’t fault Joy for getting it wrong.  Pregnancy brain is a real thing and she didn’t have a very good education at that dining room table.

Some of the haters are saying Joy has had her baby,that she and Austin "testdroveit",and that they have seen pics of Austin in the hospital and that they are lying hypocrites.

3 hours ago, Rosalie said:

I'm not sure about the wages of preachers. I'm guessing a preacher is like a pastor (still not sure what a pastor is, I'm guessing it's similar to a vicar) and we know from CO that while Kendra's dad is a pastor he also works on cars. So I think working for a church isn't a lucrative job.

I'm in the way to much wedding prep club. 

Two episodes of wedding prep max, some dress shopping maybe a venue tour and a few other random things (cake tasting) They could easily do engagement, prep, wedding all in one season and still have room for other things. The only thing I can possibly think of is that this time around they wanted to avoid showing  2-3 weddings and wedding prep storylines all in one season? (I don't remember the timeline though so that might be irrelevant.) 

I agree with someone upthread who mentioned it would be sad if Joy took down the house wedding because of negative feedback, I don't like the notion that no matter what she does this 19 year old pregnant newly wed just can.not.win. If she doesn't post she gets flack and if she does she gets flack. I guess it's easy to argue that she's a public figure and she asks for this, I just don't envy it. I think it's especially sad if she got pressure from the Duggar Family brand to post something and didn't really want to in the first place. 

1 hour ago, melon said:

Some of the haters are saying Joy has had her baby,that she and Austin "testdroveit",and that they have seen pics of Austin in the hospital and that they are lying hypocrites.

That seems like an elaborate conspiracy theory...

4 hours ago, choochoo said:
4 hours ago, Rosalie said:

I do believe it really depends on the denomination and sizes of congregations, etc.  My dad is a pastor in the united Methodist church and gets paid like somewhere in the 30k range a year.  He receives benefits and gets a housing allowance, so it makes up for the lower pay, but smaller non-denoms or other independent churches tend to not pay super highly. 

Our priest (Anglican, in a Montreal cathedral) makes about $100,000 per year. Based on what we saw when we were church shopping, that seems to be the average salary for an Anglican priest in this city. All Anglican priests that I know of are university educated and have at least a Master's degree, if not a PhD. 

2 hours ago, melon said:

That is just so freaking awful. She's a young newlywed and an excited future mom. No matter what anyone feels about her personal beliefs or upbringing, Joy doesn't deserve to be constantly harassed by thousands of creeps on the internet. Especially about something that she and her community are clearly so proud and sensitive about (waiting until marriage).

43 minutes ago, seashell1025 said:

I do believe it really depends on the denomination and sizes of congregations, etc.  My dad is a pastor in the united Methodist church and gets paid like somewhere in the 30k range a year.  He receives benefits and gets a housing allowance, so it makes up for the lower pay, but smaller non-denoms or other independent churches tend to not pay super highly. 

That's how it is in my Baptist church. Not a huge salary, but with housing and everything, I think it comes to around 60k total, if I remember correctly from when we approved the budget for this year.

The tiny little Independent Baptist church I previously attended obviously couldn't afford that. Our pastor also worked for the DOD school on base during the week.

Ok...I haven't read the whole thread...but here's my $0.02 for what it's worth...

1. Birth your baby...however it exits your body is just fine for you and your LO

2. For the love of Rufus...feed your baby. Breast, bottle, slabs of steak, whatever...just keep that little belly full. 

3. Anyone who says anything about 1 & 2 above....kindly tell them to STFU (or don't be so kind...who cares!). 

4. Houses...I like open concept...and no shoes inside the house. 

I agree (like anyone who has watched the past few seasons) that CO's time lines/story lines are uniquely annoying and fantastically mind numbing.  However,  wedding prep is the only time I get to see Miss Cindy with her buckets of flowers and whatnot, and I want some Miss Cindy! :pb_lol:

The Methodist church I grew up in pays its preacher/pastor/minister (whatever they want to be called, male or female) upwards of $80K per year. They also get health insurance. They also get a 5 bed/4 bath, 3,500sf house in a gated community to live in (furnished, and rent-free).

Meanwhile, the church is closing off parts of buildings, consolidating operations, laying off staff, and keeping the sanctuary at 65ºF in the winter and 80ºF in the summer (but providing blankets and fans, depending on the season). They've also quit maintaining the pipe organ and tuning the piano. But let that preacher and his family live in a mansion while the (mostly) middle class-to-poor parishioners keep donating tons-o-cash.

52 minutes ago, nst said:

I have an open concept kitchen. It came that way.  I have a tiny bathroom which I don't like. 

We're starting to look at houses...my criteria include:

1. BIG kitchen...lots of counter space, preferably granite, preferably with an island, gas range is a non-negotiable. 

2. BIG master bathroom...big soaking tub, separate shower, double sinks with plenty of room for my shit

3. BIG master closet, preferably walk-in

4. POOL & covered patio

The settlement from my car accident should afford us the ability to buy a house for cash. 

5 hours ago, feministxtian said:

We're starting to look at houses...my criteria include:

1. BIG kitchen...lots of counter space, preferably granite, preferably with an island, gas range is a non-negotiable. 

2. BIG master bathroom...big soaking tub, separate shower, double sinks with plenty of room for my shit

3. BIG master closet, preferably walk-in

4. POOL & covered patio

The settlement from my car accident should afford us the ability to buy a house for cash. 

Living in Oslo, Norway, one of the most expensive cities in the world, I would have to win the big win in the lottery to be able to buy such a house. :pb_lol: We own a 1,5 bedroom, 1 bathroom, with a tiny kitchen and descent sized living room in the suburbs.

4 hours ago, Rosalie said:

Living in Oslo, Norway, one of the most expensive cities in the world, I would have to win the big win in the lottery to be able to buy such a house. :pb_lol: We own a 1,5 bedroom, 1 bathroom, with a tiny kitchen and descent sized living room in the suburbs.

Well many Americans require an insane amount of space, we are very much a go big or go bigger society.  I get a chuckle out of watching House Hunters International and watching Americans in Europe with their little budgets looking to get 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms when the realtor is very professional and says yeah, not gonna happen. 

13 hours ago, melon said:

Yes,it is.I hope she has her baby exactly 9 months after the wedding...lol.

I hope she has a 7 pound baby 2 weeks late to really shut people the hell up. 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Well many Americans require an insane amount of space, we are very much a go big or go bigger society.  I get a chuckle out of watching House Hunters International and watching Americans in Europe with their little budgets looking to get 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms when the realtor is very professional and says yeah, not gonna happen. 

I looked for House Hunters Internation online and I've now found a very deep rabbit hole.

This episode is my favourite so far. They are looking for a place in Sheffield, which is the closest city to me (only 10 miles away). It's hilarious because Sheffield isn't the most salubrious city and most affordable houses are tiny. 

Spoiler

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived