IGNORED

Maxwell 17: Life After John Left

Coconut Flan

37 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

She's not a professional though, and since she's a long-term family friend/neighbour I doubt they paid for the photos.

Ever since fundies figured out how to put watermarks over their photos, anyone can pretend their SOTDRT education is as good as actual photography training.

That said, the other photos on her blog show she has a decent level of skill, though she's not at Arndt levels. She's definitely 1000% times better than some other fundie photographers though *cough* Christopher Maxwell *coughs*.

That's all true, but I'm still aghast at the thought of a photographer on the other side of a loved one's casket, snapping away. Some things should not be memorialized. It feels intrusive.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unscheduled?? The idea!!! *palpitations*

The Moodys often wondered where things had started to go quite so wrong... Mollie refusing to help do the dishes, Max insisting on Pepsi at dinner, and Maddie not apologising for grabbing the peanut butter without asking... Emily sighed as she remembered that food fight of a couple of months ago. She couldn’t remember why it had happened, or the events leading up to it, but she couldn’t help feeling that it had been the start of a not-quite-so-small rebellion.

(That came completely out of nowhere. Ah, random creativity)...

On 1/29/2018 at 12:32 PM, daisyjane1234 said:

I am often quite surprised by the idea that kids move out at 18.  No one in our world has kids who do that, and most of my friends would feel that 18 is too young to be completely independent.  Away at school, sure.  But independent.  NO way.  I call them the yo-yo years.  Kids come and go.

My kids are 17, 19, and 21.  To be sure they all head out around 17 to attend university.  To me that isn't moving out.  Their primary residence is home, they just spend 8 months of the year studying elsewhere. It's different.  My eldest will return home after his final year of undergrad this summer and he plans to remain at home for the next year, work, and save money for graduate school of some kind - he's hoping law school.  That makes perfect sense to me.  We'll be glad to have  him at home, but unlike the Maxwell's he will be treated as an adult.  He'll come and go as he pleases, but will keep us in the loop so we don't worry - particularly if he's away overnight.  He'll help with household chores and he'll hold the fort down if my husband and I go away for a few days.  We won't charge him rent because his plan is to save all his earnings for school.  He's also  talking about saving to do some traveling.  Something we support.  Because unlike the Maxwell's we want our kids to experience the world, understand different cultures/values and so on.  

We have boys so our general expectation is that they will likely remain at home (or coming and going based on school/work/travel) until mid-20s.  That seems par for the course these days and we're all good with it.  

18 is a kid. 18 just makes you legal. My niece just turned 18 and she not an adult. 

New blog post. Sarah wonders "What is it that makes children think it’s delicious?" Extended family member Nathan wants to know recommendations for a healthy toothpaste that doesn't taste like candy.

Huh? Why should it matter if it tastes like candy or not? That is, unless you haven't taught/trained your kids not to eat it. Most kids don't like regular mint toothpaste, which is why kids toothpaste usually has a different flavour. I remember liking the sparkley blue toothpaste by Crest. If it was still around, I would totally use it still.

1 hour ago, nomoxian said:

New blog post. Sarah wonders "What is it that makes children think it’s delicious?" Extended family member Nathan wants to know recommendations for a healthy toothpaste that doesn't taste like candy.

Huh? Why should it matter if it tastes like candy or not? That is, unless you haven't taught/trained your kids not to eat it. Most kids don't like regular mint toothpaste, which is why kids toothpaste usually has a different flavour. I remember liking the sparkley blue toothpaste by Crest. If it was still around, I would totally use it still.

I have to use kids’ toothpaste when I have allergic reactions in my mouth (example - just got some dental bonding done, which made the inside of my lips burn and made my tastebuds feel like I had drunk scalding coffee. It lasted for 2 weeks before the bonding was removed and they put my veneers on instead). The mint from adult toothpaste hurts like hell if you have any kind of sore inside your mouth. I learned to do this when I got braces (also had a reaction to that). But I confess I also like the taste, lol. Plus it’s the same kind I used growing up and it always reminds me of my grandparents. 

My kids used Crest Kids toothpaste when they were younger.  There are always a few tubes near the regular toothpaste.  One of the flavors is bubblegum.  Maybe they don't want their kids to develop a taste for it, since they don't believe in candy/sweets?   My suggestion is that they speak with their dentist or dental hygienist for recommendations.  Why ask strangers on the internet and not the dental experts?

My favorite toothpaste from childhood was this orange flavored crest toothpaste. I'm guessing it wasn't a huge hit because it only lasted a year and then it was gone from stores. I was so disappointed. 

Eating toothpaste. Must stop that Steve, Jr. Might make brushing "fun"

Not allowed.

Simple solution: Try feeding them more food. That half a burrito just doesn't fill them up.

Just when you think Maxhell can't get any worse they even suck the joy out of everyday dental hygiene.

1 hour ago, crawfishgirl said:

My kids used Crest Kids toothpaste when they were younger.  There are always a few tubes near the regular toothpaste.  One of the flavors is bubblegum.  Maybe they don't want their kids to develop a taste for it, since they don't believe in candy/sweets?   My suggestion is that they speak with their dentist or dental hygienist for recommendations.  Why ask strangers on the internet and not the dental experts?

Because they are the Maxwells and they manage to make yummy-flavored kids' toothpaste boring?

I think they are grasping at straws for blog content. Nathan probably said something to Steve and Teri about trying to find toothpaste the kids would like without it being too sweet, and Steve took that and told expert writer Sarah to make a blog post out of it. 

On 2/1/2018 at 8:41 AM, Jana814 said:

We have has 3 La-Z-Boy chairs in the our house. 1 in my parents bedroom and 2 in the basement. It my parents favorite places to take naps. 

It’s like admitting defeat (old age is winning), but I have a recliner. Not La-z-boy but made in the state of Georgia (USA!) AND its recliner mechanism is **electrically powered**  all together now, errbody say, “oooOooOoOO MJB that’s cooooool!” 

Spoiler

:wow:

Spoiler

On 2/1/2018 at 9:19 AM, kpmom said:

I was thinking the same thing.  And in at least one picture it looks as though Nathan is in one of the comfy chairs and Melanie is next to him in one of those hard plastic white chairs they put around the living room.

Not at Nathan's feet, granted, but not comfy and spread out like her headship.

Oh damn, my [sic] Nathan did that? There better be a good explanation, and that is NOT “because Daddy is our provider and gets all the glory”!!!

14 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That looked super dusty to me. Like it was there when they moved in and got dust on it from renovations. I'm guessing they will be changing it out when they finish out the Reno. I think they registered for some lighting. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if Chelsy decided to paint the cabinets  in a year or two. They are fine right now but I can see Chelsy updating her home pretty regularly unlike Steve and Teri. 

Changeout the foyer light! Well I hope so. 

I’m hoping JudgyChelsy & Her Headship won't BE there in a couple years —back to Iowa! If she is still there, having 2 kids and one on the way won’t leave a lot of energy for.painting. The nanny-aunts are getting stretched pretty thin as is. 

13 hours ago, VVV said:

That's all true, but I'm still aghast at the thought of a photographer on the other side of a loved one's casket, snapping away. Some things should not be memorialized. It feels intrusive.

Not just that, but to PUBLISH THE PHOTOS ONLINE!

First reaction: So much for modesty, Steve & Teri. Grandpa was a decorated vet but hardly a public figure and NEITHER ARE YOU TWO!

Second reaction:  Glad you did publish them, you bags of worms. We get to see interaction between Tami & Gigi that Teri couldn’t manage. 

I was going to snark that the extreme sorrow shown by the Maxkids puts lie to their forceful assertions that they knew Grandpa  went to heaven when he died, but I can’t. Grandpa was possibly the only warm, sensible adult male they knew; also—they collapse in tears after a wedding, and on NYE—-of course they’ll appear inconsolable at the graveside 

Silly MJB. 

If they're that desperate, they could always make their own toothpaste with baking soda. Most recipes include flavoring but they could just leave it out.

Maybe the kids were making an idol of their usual toothpaste? 

All snark aside, the denial of any pleasure or fun over in Maxhell *really* creeps me out.

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That looked super dusty to me. Like it was there when they moved in and got dust on it from renovations. 

maybe leaving the dust on it is their way of rebelling against all the ceiling-fan cleaning John had to do at the fathership.   

i recently cleaned my kitchen fan after more years than i'd care to admit; as i scrubbed the blades in the sink with steel wool, at one point i thought, "oh my, Stevie would *not* approve of me."

Why does Nathan want the toothpaste without candy flavor? To take out all the FUN? He's just like his sociopath father.. Poor ABC kids!

4 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I’m hoping JudgyChelsy & Her Headship won't BE there in a couple years —back to Iowa! If she is still there, having 2 kids and one on the way won’t leave a lot of energy for.painting. The nanny-aunts are getting stretched pretty thin as is. 

Nope. They'll be there.

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Maybe the kids were making an idol of their usual toothpaste? 

All snark aside, the denial of any pleasure or fun over in Maxhell *really* creeps me out.

Yes and Yes. "Children, Grandpa is going to tell you a scary story. Let's pray to calm our fears first. Amen. Now, a long time ago, Grandma made an idol out of Pepsi. ...."

45 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Why does Nathan want the toothpaste without candy flavor? To take out all the FUN? He's just like his sociopath father.. Poor ABC kids!

The Stevehovah of Wales!  I was disappointed (I hope I have the right family!) that Benjy wasn't named Eric or something. After they lost the first girl they've had Abby, Bethany, Christina [Tina] and Drew [Andrew] ...Benjy just doesn't flow there....

I have never known a child—including myself—who ate toothpaste because it tasted like candy. 

I do recall in one of Beverly Cleary’s Ramona books where Ramona squeezed out an entire tube of toothpaste into the bathroom sink just because it was fun.  I’d think Sarah might have meant something like this if there was any chance she would have been allowed to read Beverly Cleary as a kid, but nope nope nope to that. 

11 minutes ago, catlady said:

I have never known a child—including myself—who ate toothpaste because it tasted like candy. 

I do recall in one of Beverly Cleary’s Ramona books where Ramona squeezed out an entire tube of toothpaste into the bathroom sink just because it was fun.  I’d think Sarah might have meant something like this if there was any chance she would have been allowed to read Beverly Cleary as a kid, but nope nope nope to that. 

I remember that book. They would never be allowed to read those book.  

56 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Nope. They'll be there.

Yes and Yes. "Children, Grandpa is going to tell you a scary story. Let's pray to calm our fears first. Amen. Now, a long time ago, Grandma made an idol out of Pepsi. ...."

The Stevehovah of Wales!  I was disappointed (I hope I have the right family!) that Benjy wasn't named Eric or something. After they lost the first girl they've had Abby, Bethany, Christina [Tina] and Drew [Andrew] ...Benjy just doesn't flow there....

they should have called him "Ebenezer" and then the "Ben" would have worked itself in.

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Sarah wrote "you know how children are with toothpaste." No, we don't know. 

Actually, my niece would eat the entire tube of toothpaste if it was left within her reach.  My sister wouldn't let her have candy, so of course anything sweet was fair game.  Now, when wychling was small, I let her have candy, and quelle surprise, she doesn't like it much at all.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived