IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 32: Another Year and How Many New Duggars?

Coconut Flan

Thing is, Erin Paine grew up in a family that was ATI/IBLP, as did Chad. Derick may not have been ATI but Jill grew up in it. Amy’s parents did not follow ATI, nor did her husband’s. Since she’s hung out with the Duggars a lot, and since people likely know that you don’t have to be skirts-only in ATI, people have probably been asking her for years, and she’s just confirming that she is not part of it. 

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always took dWRECK's "I don't follow a man named Gothard" as he has all the same beliefs, but no other man shall be bigger than the almighty Wreck so he doesn't follow him specifically. 

Erin, I think was just trying to save face with all the accusations against Gothard, they are probably still very much IBLP. I don't know why Amy had to come out and say this at all, I'm surprised anyone thought she followed their teachings. 

10 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Her dad runs a riding lawnmower ministry and speaks at ATI events. She's probably been indoctrinated since birth and thinks she's hit the jackpot. :( 

Everytime I see a reference to his riding lawnmower ministry my brain thinks "what if all the lawnmowers are devout Christians already? what about the golf carts? or the weedwhackers?"

10 hours ago, Plexus31Wife said:

I'm conflicted on this one. 

On the one hand, great! Any evangelical, Gothardite or not, speaking out against the cruelty and evil of the IBLP is good news in my books. And her comment is unequivocally negative - no room for misinterpretation. 

On the other hand, I'm reminded of Derick's "I don't follow some man named Gothard" tweet a few months ago. Or Erin Paine's "we don't support Gothard's ministry - thanks for your concern!" tweet from a while back. It seems like it's become en vogue for fundies and fundie lites to come out against this guy, but where were they a few years ago when these scandals were first coming to light? What did they do to help his scared victims when he was still the head of his organization?

And how do we know they've learned their lesson about protecting the powerful? How do we know they're not hiding abuse that goes even deeper? 

... Because she's joining the "not affiliated with Gothard" crowd just a few days after her radio interview, in which she said she was "not necessarily comfortable" answering the question of whether her female cousins are in school or finished their education.

....Because she referred to her aunt as a queen of patience in that interview, who has never raised her voice and never freaked out...as far as she knows, she claims.

That's why it comes off as disingenuous to me. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I've seen it all before. I really think she's trying to hide something.

There’s a difference though. Derick and Erin focused only on disavowing themselves from Gothard, not from IBLP. Gothard is no longer associated with IBLP, so distancing themselves from him indicates exactly nothing about their possible continued involvement with IBLP. Erin’s father and father-in-law are both still IBLP Board Members, so her distancing really meant absolutely nothing. She spoke out carefully the way she did because people were questioning her about her family’s involvement and the lawsuit against the IBLP Board - she only said what she said because it was good PR for the family brand. 

Amy disavowed Gothard and IBLP though. As far we know, she has never followed any IBLP or Gothard teachings. Yes, she’s a fairly conservative Christian, but she’s not a fundamentalist. 

On 1/22/2018 at 1:09 PM, Knight of Ni said:

I think I remember reading a post where a fundamentalist pastor told a woman that since her husband died her son would become head when he turned 13. Umm what. How is that even remotely reasonable? 

Mine turned 13 a week ago. There's no way he's responsible enough to the head of anything other than a few old stuffed toys.

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

There’s a difference though. Derick and Erin focused only on disavowing themselves from Gothard, not from IBLP. Gothard is no longer associated with IBLP, so distancing themselves from him indicates exactly nothing about their possible continued involvement with IBLP. Erin’s father and father-in-law are both still IBLP Board Members, so her distancing really meant absolutely nothing. She spoke out carefully the way she did because people were questioning her about her family’s involvement and the lawsuit against the IBLP Board - she only said what she said because it was good PR for the family brand. 

Yes, the way people structure their sentences is everything. 

I have been studying sociology and its role in language / actions for so long now.

I could go on and on (and probably put you all to sleep), however, no need to listen to me waffle as VelociRapture has hit the nail on the head!

I feel Amy's post too the easy way out without really saying anything. "Questionable" seem rather empty. If she had said " supported child abuse" or "Gothard's teachings  fosters sexual assault and he is guilty of it himself".  That I'd respect. Amy's was meh, didn't say much.

11 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Everytime I see a reference to his riding lawnmower ministry my brain thinks "what if all the lawnmowers are devout Christians already? what about the golf carts? or the weedwhackers?"

Onward and upward, to the Construction Equipment Ministry! Those Ditch Witches are in Satan's clutches... they need the Lord!

On 22/01/2018 at 11:40 AM, Bad Wolf said:

What do they do when the oldest son is Josh? Pretend he's not there and go to John David?

For a second I forgot about Smuggar being the older brother. My first vision was of JD living in a small house on the property, stones throw away from the TTH, unmarried, a young suitor knocks on his door asking to court one of the lost girls and he shrugs and says, "go for it, you have my blessing." No questionnaire, no prayers.

18 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Blessed are the weedwhackers, for they shall inherit the lawn. 

Another speaking engagement. Sorry to continue to subject you to them Australia and New Zealand!

Dear Lord they are still making them perform.  I thought that they had stopped that nonsense.  Bring on the screechy violins. 

1 hour ago, JMO said:

Dear Lord they are still making them perform.  I thought that they had stopped that nonsense.  Bring on the screechy violins. 

Maybe they'll do one of their famous skits. Those ones they did for the rehearsal dinners and whatnot are classic...

Maybe they'll do the Christmas one, because I don't think any New Zealanders know about it. I think JB was the donkey, or maybe it was Derick. 

19 hours ago, JMO said:

I also thought they had totally abandoned the family band--esp. without Jing, Jessa, Jessa and Joy to help out. So poor Jana is totally in charge of music lessons now? Oy.

20 hours ago, JMO said:

they have to earn their keep somehow :D

I'm not caught up, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

One of the news stations reported that the Turpins (the nutjob, psycho parents who tortured their kids) named all of the children with names that start with J.  WHAT!?!?  The oldest is 29 so they couldn't have known about the Duggars (unless they were crazy enough to rename them).  Was this a fundie thing before the Duggars?

I sometimes hang around on the 19KaC wiki page to check for news and fix typos, and I noticed that the name of the Duggars' first miscarriage is listed as Caleb Ryan. Is this just humper speculation or did we ever have a middle name confirmed?

12 hours ago, Ralar said:

Can quiverfull marriages be arranged at birth? I ask, because I think I found the perfect bride (once she's born) for one of the Duggar grandsons.  

GOP candidate says feminists have ‘snake-filled heads,’ hopes daughters don’t become ‘she devils’

I love the wag who said that the candidate, Courtland Sykes, looks like Jesus took the wheel and crashed into a tanker truck of Axe Body Spray.

On 1/20/2018 at 10:19 AM, Mayluka said:

This birthday video for Joseph is just... weird. This was like 10% about Joseph, 30% about weather differences between the US and NZ, and 60% about some guy who looks like Jay Leno??

Is that Jay Leno?

1 hour ago, Toothfairy said:

Is that Jay Leno?

No

But like someone else said earlier in the thread, I was shocked to hear JB reference Jay Leno because I didn't think JB knew who Jay Leno was. Goes to show how much we really don't know of the Duggar's access to the outside world.

1 hour ago, kachuu said:

But like someone else said earlier in the thread, I was shocked to hear JB reference Jay Leno because I didn't think JB knew who Jay Leno was. Goes to show how much we really don't know of the Duggar's access to the outside world.

I thought so too, but he probably remembers Jay from his pre-Gothard days.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived