IGNORED

The baby name thread!

Palimpsest

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

She could In all seriousness name her boy James Robert... 

Which is my uncle's name, but we just call him Jimmy. lol

17 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

She could In all seriousness name her boy James Robert... 

Prince Jim Bob :my_biggrin:

Louis Arthur Charles, it is!

For the non-Americans, in America, Louis is pronounced Lewis. (St. Louis, Missouri, for example). Louisville, Kentucky, is a "whole 'nother" pronunciation. :)

Even CNN has to tell us this:  Prince Louis (pronounced Loo-ee) is fifth in line to the British throne, after grandfather Prince Charles, father Prince William and his two older siblings.

On 24/04/2018 at 2:49 PM, tabitha2 said:

Her circle for the majority of her life has been the public school and society circle of the extremely rich and minor  nobility.  She was a commoner but never common.  It stands to reason Eventually a young Lord or Peer would certainly have snatched the beautiful well bred Catherine Middleton If William was not in the picture 

I really don't think so. Not saying she didn't go to an expensive school etc, but she didn't mix all that naturally with aristocracy etc. William's posho friends at university thought it was a terrific joke to say 'doors to manual' when Kate came along, because Carole Middleton had worked as an air stewardess. That still makes me furious when I think of it. That they could be so disparaging.

I do know plenty of girls/women who went to schools like Kate's, and for the most part they haven't ended up like her. They marry bankers, architects, lawyers etc, not nobility; they work in PR or marketing or art galleries. One, who went to school with Beatrice and Eugenie, has a poetry PhD and a wife. Actually several have female partners, make art and earn little. They are really not about that Made In Chelsea scene although they're still unquestioningly, indelibly moneyed.

I think that's where Kate would have landed (perhaps not the wife part, but who knows) - Boden-wearing Parsons Green resident, affluent but not aspiring, does part-time work in a ceramics gallery to keep her hand in, kids called Milo and Clementine. More like what PIppa's got going on.

On 4/29/2018 at 4:35 AM, AprilQuilt said:

I really don't think so. Not saying she didn't go to an expensive school etc, but she didn't mix all that naturally with aristocracy etc. William's posho friends at university thought it was a terrific joke to say 'doors to manual' when Kate came along, because Carole Middleton had worked as an air stewardess. That still makes me furious when I think of it. That they could be so disparaging.

I do know plenty of girls/women who went to schools like Kate's, and for the most part they haven't ended up like her. They marry bankers, architects, lawyers etc, not nobility; they work in PR or marketing or art galleries. One, who went to school with Beatrice and Eugenie, has a poetry PhD and a wife. Actually several have female partners, make art and earn little. They are really not about that Made In Chelsea scene although they're still unquestioningly, indelibly moneyed.

I think that's where Kate would have landed (perhaps not the wife part, but who knows) - Boden-wearing Parsons Green resident, affluent but not aspiring, does part-time work in a ceramics gallery to keep her hand in, kids called Milo and Clementine. More like what PIppa's got going on.

I think Kate had a goal, and she got it.  I think if it wasn't William she would have found someone else with a title because that was what she thought she wanted.  I hope I'm wrong, but several things (mostly delaying a year and then going to a less good school basically knowing he would be there) makes me think she really had a goal of "marrying up."  Even the jerky behavior of his friends, and the fact that she put up with it, adds to that impression for me.  I hope I'm wrong. 

My guesses for the upcoming Duggar births:

Joe & Kendra: June 14th Christopher Paul 9lb 5oz

Jeremy & Jinger: July 22 Bethany Faith 7lb 2oz

I need both of them not to land on my birthday or those of my immediate family. I already share a birthday with Lawson Bates and Cassandra Clare. I've been punished enough.

59 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

(mostly delaying a year and then going to a less good school basically knowing he would be there

Did she intentionally do this? Or did she simply take a gap year (not uncommon in Europe)? Did she choose the school for a particular course of study? Asking because I truly don't know.

5 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Did she intentionally do this? Or did she simply take a gap year (not uncommon in Europe)? Did she choose the school for a particular course of study? Asking because I truly don't know.

My understanding is that she took the gap year after finding out he was going to?  or something like that?  I haven't heard that she chose it for a particular course of study.  I hope that she did, I believe she had good scores and everything and could have done a large number of things.

When you're a teenager and you're trying to choose a university, the knowledge that someone famous is also going, and would be in your year, can be a powerful motivator, even subconsciously. If she even did choose St. Andrew's because William was going to be there, it doesn't necessarily follow that her goal was to marry him. She might have thought it would be cool if they became friends - or if she ended up in the same general group as him - or even just to be at the same school as him. Maybe she thought it could be beneficial to her career or social life to attend university with him, because she could make similar powerful/influential connections. I think a lot of people want to believe that she chose that school because she had this devious goal to ensnare a prince, because it makes for a much more fun and salacious story. The truth is usually less dramatic, but who knows. I'm sure if this were the 15th century, she'd be accused of witchcraft. :P 

I went back through the thread because I couldn't remember what names I picked. Apparently, I picked Nicole Diana Vuolo for Jinger's baby. Still think Nicole or Diana will be incorporated into the name.

For Kendra, I still have a strong gut feeling they'll go with Joe Jr. Not that a gut feeling means anything. 

I honestly don't remember when either of them are due.

For J&J, I think Nicole will be the middle name. Torn on either Olive or Chiara. 

For J&K, I think Joseph will be the middle name.. no clue the first. I'll keep my guess of Ezra. I think eventually someone in the Duggar clan will use Solomon, though. 

On 30/04/2018 at 4:53 PM, justoneoftwo said:

I think Kate had a goal, and she got it.  I think if it wasn't William she would have found someone else with a title because that was what she thought she wanted.  I hope I'm wrong, but several things (mostly delaying a year and then going to a less good school basically knowing he would be there) makes me think she really had a goal of "marrying up."  Even the jerky behavior of his friends, and the fact that she put up with it, adds to that impression for me.  I hope I'm wrong. 

St Andrews is one of the top universities in the UK and exactly the sort of place a person like her would go, particularly after a gap year which is also an incredibly normal thing to do. I'm not quite sure how she'd have delayed *after* finding out he was going a year after her, since he wouldn't have had his place when she was first offered hers.

There's also the fact that they delayed and delayed engagement, even breaking up for a while. If her game-plan was to be a princess she'd have made him put a ring on it ASAP, rather than hesitating over what a huge life-change that commitment would mean for the best part of a decade. It's not a normal marriage and they both understood that: they did a good job enjoying their relationship on their own terms for years while the tabloids breathed down their necks.

Frankly I think there's something incredibly misogynistic about the way Kate and other women who 'marry up' are characterised as scheming gold-diggers. I do think there's a jealousy there. I'm not a royalist and I am not that fussed about Kate one way or the other, but such toxic narratives are spun around both her and Meghan Markle that I'd feel weird not challenging them.

5 minutes ago, AprilQuilt said:

St Andrews is one of the top universities in the UK and exactly the sort of place a person like her would go, particularly after a gap year which is also an incredibly normal thing to do. I'm not quite sure how she'd have delayed *after* finding out he was going a year after her, since he wouldn't have had his place when she was first offered hers.

There's also the fact that they delayed and delayed engagement, even breaking up for a while. If her game-plan was to be a princess she'd have made him put a ring on it ASAP, rather than hesitating over what a huge life-change that commitment would mean for the best part of a decade. It's not a normal marriage and they both understood that: they did a good job enjoying their relationship on their own terms for years while the tabloids breathed down their necks.

Frankly I think there's something incredibly misogynistic about the way Kate and other women who 'marry up' are characterised as scheming gold-diggers. I do think there's a jealousy there. I'm not a royalist and I am not that fussed about Kate one way or the other, but such toxic narratives are spun around both her and Meghan Markle that I'd feel weird not challenging them.

I also have a really hard time believing that William, the rest of the royal family, and the other people around him would all be stupid and naive enough to be bamboozled by a 19-year-old girl determined to bag a prince. People with motivations like that are usually pretty transparent. Nothing I've ever seen of Kate Middleton makes me think she's particularly slick or capable of pulling off such a long con without raising suspicions. Her behaviour since getting married doesn't seem to suggest predatory motives either. She's remained very close with her family of origin and has never really seemed to seek out the limelight. If she just wanted a rich husband, she could have found one very easily who did not come with all the baggage and headache attached to the royal family.

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I also have a really hard time believing that William, the rest of the royal family, and the other people around him would all be stupid and naive enough to be bamboozled by a 19-year-old girl determined to bag a prince. People with motivations like that are usually pretty transparent. Nothing I've ever seen of Kate Middleton makes me think she's particularly slick or capable of pulling off such a long con without raising suspicions. Her behaviour since getting married doesn't seem to suggest predatory motives either. She's remained very close with her family of origin and has never really seemed to seek out the limelight. If she just wanted a rich husband, she could have found one very easily who did not come with all the baggage and headache attached to the royal family.

yep, 100% with you. I really don't think she would have chosen this. Mind you, I don't think he would either, poor guy.

I do think that Kate was interested in him, but plenty of girls were, and not just because he was a prince - he used to be incredibly good looking (and have hair!). 

I don't think the royal family would be stupid enough to be manipulated by Michael and Carole Middleton, though. I think a boy fell in love with a girl and they shared normal, typical up and downs in a relationship before deciding that despite the odds, they wanted to take a chance and make it work. 

The Queen is an incredibly quick  and astute judge of character from over 60 years of dealing with  conniving Courtiers , politicians and favor seekers. Meghan and esp Kate would not have gotten  very far With the grandsons  before she sized them up as genuine and good fits. And I guarantee she never wants a bride like Sarah or Diana again. 

On 30/04/2018 at 5:54 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

oh, yeah, Art History at St Andrews is extremely well-thought-of. There's no way I can slice any of this to make it seem even slightly fishy. The university, the course, the gap year - it's so entirely classic.

Alright....a little late to the game but that's ok! 

Kendra- boy. Joseph Mark 7lb 3 oz. June 22.

Jinger-girl. Julianna Mary 8lb 5 oz. July 12.

Jessa-girl. Susanna Lauren  9lb 12 oz. 2/19. (Susanna because of Susanna Wesley) 

• 2 weeks later...

I predict Joel for Kendra and Joe. That way they can name him after daddy but it’s not stuffy boring Joseph :)

I have no ideas for Jinger and Jeremy. I’m literally always wrong anyway lol

I said Rachel Marie for Jinger, but I'm adding weight and date. July 18 and 7lbs 10 ozs.

I need some time to think about Joe & Kendra, but I think a traditional name honoring Joe or maybe Kendra'a dad seems most likely.

For J/J, I predict Gabrielle. Maybe Genevieve, or Giana.. feel like they will go with a "G" name. 

On 5/4/2018 at 5:32 PM, mollysmom said:

Alright....a little late to the game but that's ok! 

Kendra- boy. Joseph Mark 7lb 3 oz. June 22.

Jinger-girl. Julianna Mary 8lb 5 oz. July 12.

Jessa-girl. Susanna Lauren  9lb 12 oz. 2/19. (Susanna because of Susanna Wesley) 

wait, is Jessa pregnant? 

9 minutes ago, iheartjnames said:

wait, is Jessa pregnant? 

Nope, not that we know of. Just future speculation. I was bored one day last week and predicted the names and birth dates for all the current couples' future children. If anyone's wondering, I've got Joe and Kendra winning the baby race with 18 children total and two sets of twins. :pb_lol:

Kendra:
Robert Paul, June 6th, 8 pounds

Jinger:
Rosemary Olivia. I have to think some more about date and weight.

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic

Archived