IGNORED

Mortons: A new year of Marryin', Birthin', and Writin'

SolomonFundy

54 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If this is the case, it makes me sad as hell. 

In the case of fundy women, it makes me sad. Like a bird dreaming of how beautiful it's eventual cage will be.

• Upvote 11

Adeline has a board on Pinterest called "Daddy's Likes". 

At 27, her hobby, web surfing board includes what her daddy likes. 

That makes me sad as hell.

• Upvote 11
  • Disgust 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I assumed it was an online version of the Boyer sisters' Hope Chests, which they had been keeping for years and years before there was even a hint of a suitor, but for someone else.  Like others have said, daydreaming about what a wedding for Addie could look like, in the same way some FJers post photos of wedding dresses and accoutrements they think would suit various Fundy maidens, or all the baby name threads.

Edited by Lurky
  • Upvote 8

I just saw some pictures Campbell posted from their honeymoon and oh boy - looking at them you might think this is a wealthy young couple living their best life while their reality will be so strikingly different once the honeymoon ends. After reading about their shitty, poverty stricken childhood I'm kind of happy for John that he now gets so enjoy such a nice vacation. Especially since he had been working for his father's construction business ever since he was teenager. But what will life look like for them when they return? They'll probably be living somewhere on the compound and start popping out babies. He will continue working his ass off and she will be the quiet and beautiful SAHM. Don't get me wrong - there is nothing wrong with this lifestyle. I just feel like none of them ever had a chance to do something else with their life and that's what makes me sad.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

On 11/10/2018 at 7:20 PM, lexiloumarie said:

Future Campana in laws, more likely. 

Well, looks like that prediction came true. Josiah Thomas and Mariah are an item according to Valiant's IG.

• Upvote 4

I want to make another prediction. I think the last single Thomas boy, Valiant will date TAM’s oldest daughter Charity Johnston. Mostly because they are both redheads ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

I do wonder what would have happened if the Smiths and the Mortons hadn't grown apart - were Madara and Sitara Smith ear-marked as Morton brides? I do wonder what's going to happen to the adopted Smith kids - hopefully the ones going to school are growing and developing, and have a lot more options.

• Upvote 6

30 minutes ago, Lurky said:

I do wonder what would have happened if the Smiths and the Mortons hadn't grown apart - were Madara and Sitara Smith ear-marked as Morton brides? I do wonder what's going to happen to the adopted Smith kids - hopefully the ones going to school are growing and developing, and have a lot more options.

The younger Morton boys seem to all have the same type.  Petite feisty brunettes.  That are all friends since childhood.  It's funny since their sisters are all demure, doting blondes.  And by appearances of average to above average height.  

I also hope that some of the Smith children escape.  That household must be uber nuts.  The Cap'n has quite the unusual interests and triples down on the god/obedience part.  

• Upvote 6

29 minutes ago, JMO said:

The younger Morton boys seem to all have the same type.  Petite feisty brunettes.  That are all friends since childhood.  It's funny since their sisters are all demure, doting blondes.  And by appearances of average to above average height.  

I also hope that some of the Smith children escape.  That household must be uber nuts.  The Cap'n has quite the unusual interests and triples down on the god/obedience part.  

The general male Morton type is eerily similar. If you line Kressant, Rachel, Lise, Alyssa, Kennedy and Campbell up it's very apparent what their type is. Especially the two Smith wives and Lise - she looks like a lost sister. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

On 11/12/2018 at 12:56 AM, ophelia said:

I just saw some pictures Campbell posted from their honeymoon

Holy cow, they look so much like siblings in the third picture. Less so in profile, thankfully!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ladyaudley said:

Aw man, John Morton is really hella defrauding. 

That’s not possible my dear. He’s a male. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

I don't think the Morton boys would ever have chosen either Madeira or Sitara. I can't see any Morton seriously forming a relationship with anyone with a brown skin colour.  I think they are like Donald "good people on both sides" Trump.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 9

10 hours ago, JMO said:

I hope then when one of the kids wants to leave the Smith household that Kressant, Rachel and Bethany will be their and support them. It is good that the remaining kids at home now seem to attend public school. I can't imagine that Jackie's homeschooling provided them with a lot of resources for the real world.

• Upvote 4

On 11/12/2018 at 12:56 AM, ophelia said:

I just saw some pictures Campbell posted from their honeymoon and oh boy - looking at them you might think this is a wealthy young couple living their best life while their reality will be so strikingly different once the honeymoon ends.

Yeah, I often have the same thought about those honeymoons. Saddle up honey for a life of birthing, cooking, cleaning and pleasing your man!

On another note, it's a pretty good idea to honeymoon in Florida instead of flying somewhere. They can spend the cash on cool activities like renting a sailboat, not to mention nothing is as romantic to me as a road trip. We also got married in the South and only had a few days off work after the wedding, so we drove down to Key West with our kayak and bicycles strapped to our car. Most laid back, romantic trip ever. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, ophelia said:

I hope then when one of the kids wants to leave the Smith household that Kressant, Rachel and Bethany will be their and support them. It is good that the remaining kids at home now seem to attend public school. I can't imagine that Jackie's homeschooling provided them with a lot of resources for the real world.

I’m thinking it will be Sitara. She’s always been the odd one out. She is the only adopted child with no bio siblings in the family. She’s also the only black child in the family. She’s much taller than everyone else. I really hope she gets out of that family and makes her own way in the world. I hope she’s making a lot of friends in school. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Jr.'s most recent facebook post gives a better idea of why the family chose to settle in this particular part of South America:

The Municipal Board of this district declared Filadelfia "pro-life and pro-family city", to establish a clear position in support of the institutions that defend the "traditional family".

Institutions and social organizations that defend life and family are also encouraged to continue working "in defense of and strengthening the values that make up the constitution of a family, understood as the union of a man and a woman. a family. Also, to defend life and all human beings, from the moment of conception ". He also exhorts the intendant to give all the necessary collaboration to the initiatives that work in defense of life and the family.

He pointed out that traditional marriage today is at risk "or at least I see it that way, because of what I read and see daily in the media and listen to the concern of organizations that defend the traditional family". He indicated that there are already several municipalities that have done so, even in previous years.

Mayor Holger Bergen (PPQ) said that "LGBT (Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals and Transsexuals) is much discussed and from the City of Filadelfia we want to make our local position very clear".

(Translation his, from a local news article.)

I googled to find out more about this measure and found instead that it coincides with other news about the city-- recent UN reports showing that Filadelfia is one of the worst parts of the region when it comes to child and forced labor and exploitation of indigenous people. Such family values! https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/sep/18/forced-labour-in-paraguay-the-darkness-at-the-bottom-of-the-global-supply-chain

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 2

On 11/13/2018 at 8:44 PM, lexiloumarie said:

The general male Morton type is eerily similar. If you line Kressant, Rachel, Lise, Alyssa, Kennedy and Campbell up it's very apparent what their type is. Especially the two Smith wives and Lise - she looks like a lost sister. 

I disagree that they have "types" - especially the older Mortons and Smiths, who basically had arranged marriages.  It was seen as a surprise that Wes married outside the Smiths, but the rest of the older S'Mortons were very, very clearly directed to marry each other.  Remember Katie Morton saying she wasn't sure if she wanted to marry Allan, and that her dad should decide? 

I think they relaxed other the years (eg I don't think Martha's was as arranged, eg) and the younger Morton men have had more choice - but they're still operating from being brought up since birth to know they're expected to have young marriages, combined with a very limited social circle.  So if, eg, one family has a genetic tendency for tall, blonde men, and two other families in their circle have petite, dark daughters, and there's a lot of encouragement for them to marry each other, they will end up with a whole load of couples that look outwardly similar.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I googled to find out more about this measure and found instead that it coincides with other news about the city-- recent UN reports showing that Filadelfia is one of the worst parts of the region when it comes to child and forced labor and exploitation of indigenous people. Such family values! https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/sep/18/forced-labour-in-paraguay-the-darkness-at-the-bottom-of-the-global-supply-chain

While reading up on the Sentinelese and other isolated, and formerly isolated, tribes, I read about the Ayoreo of Paraguay & Bolivia and how the New Tribes Missions & other evangelical missions pretty much decimated them by forcing them into communities created by the missions. And, like other uncontacted tribes, they had no immunities and disease ran rampant and took countless lives. Some remained in the forest, but deforestation is an huge issue in the area. And, no surprise, those who are "in contact" suffer from discrimination, poverty, & live in slums. 

Many have returned to the forest for voluntary isolation - but again, deforestation is threatening that. 

I got a bit overwhelmed reading and didn't dig into anything but damn, I have to admit, I am not surprised the Mortons are creating compound 2.0 in the Chaco. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Lurky said:

I disagree that they have "types" - especially the older Mortons and Smiths, who basically had arranged marriages.  It was seen as a surprise that Wes married outside the Smiths, but the rest of the older S'Mortons were very, very clearly directed to marry each other.  Remember Katie Morton saying she wasn't sure if she wanted to marry Allan, and that her dad should decide? 

I think they relaxed other the years (eg I don't think Martha's was as arranged, eg) and the younger Morton men have had more choice - but they're still operating from being brought up since birth to know they're expected to have young marriages, combined with a very limited social circle.  So if, eg, one family has a genetic tendency for tall, blonde men, and two other families in their circle have petite, dark daughters, and there's a lot of encouragement for them to marry each other, they will end up with a whole load of couples that look outwardly similar.

Oh disagree re: martha’s marriage. Hers definitely gave me the creepy arranged vibes, especially since she was a few years older and they had to wait for him to turn 18 before they could marry, and because his family had so recently moved from Indiana (and he and Martha returned there right after marriage). I think the younger boys starting with Andrew (“Tom”) seem to have actively chosen their beaus. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lurky said:

Wesley is married to Rachel Smith, the third marriage between the families. I don't disagree the daughters were pushed to marry certain men - I think Martha and Katie in particular. But if they were truly arranging the marriages then Rachel would have gone to Cleveland, the next brother down the line. Instead Cleve waited till his late twenties and ended up with an other older sahd from their circle and has moved away from the compound for years. And I remember a comment from the blog during that time - how Wes had "tried not to notice Rachel for a long time". I think the men have had a lot more say in who their hormones call them toward.

I think we also discount how big their circle truly was during the era of the new years balls. There were a lot more marriage eligable young adults running around that group. I was digging back through the old blog and it was a huge gathering. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Lurky said:

I disagree that they have "types" - especially the older Mortons and Smiths, who basically had arranged marriages.  It was seen as a surprise that Wes married outside the Smiths, but the rest of the older S'Mortons were very, very clearly directed to marry each other. 

Wes did marry a Smith, their second daughter Rachael.

3 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

Wesley is married to Rachel Smith, the third marriage between the families. I don't disagree the daughters were pushed to marry certain men - I think Martha and Katie in particular. But if they were truly arranging the marriages then Rachel would have gone to Cleveland, the next brother down the line.

Ah, sorry, I meant Cleve.  I remember speculation that Cleve was "expected" to marry Rachel - but the fact Wes ended up with Rachel makes me think there was at least a push, if not an arrangement there.

3 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

I think we also discount how big their circle truly was during the era of the new years balls. There were a lot more marriage eligable young adults running around that group. I was digging back through the old blog and it was a huge gathering. 

It was huge gatherings, for sure, but kept very gender separated, so that they all had these love stories that basically went they'd all known each other for years but never really talked, until one day he noticed her, and talked to his parents first, and prayed about it etc etc....  or maybe a Godly Young Man is thinking of getting married, so his sisters suggest a Fundy Maiden etc etc.  At the Morton balls, dance partners were strictly limited to being between married couples and siblings/family only, and I got the impression that all the girls could mingle with each other, and all the boys, but they didn't have mixed gender friendships.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

Wesley is married to Rachel Smith, the third marriage between the families. I don't disagree the daughters were pushed to marry certain men - I think Martha and Katie in particular. But if they were truly arranging the marriages then Rachel would have gone to Cleveland, the next brother down the line. Instead Cleve waited till his late twenties and ended up with an other older sahd from their circle and has moved away from the compound for years. And I remember a comment from the blog during that time - how Wes had "tried not to notice Rachel for a long time". I think the men have had a lot more say in who their hormones call them toward.

I always got the impression cleve's was pretty arranged too - as in, he was getting a bit old (for the mortons) so they "encouraged him" towards an older sahd whose parents also wanted her to get a move on.  they did live away from the compound but they've been back for awhile now, i'm pretty sure. they're in all addie's pics these days. certainly not breaking away from the family. 

fwiw i get the vibe that the michael and katie were "encouraged" into their smith marriages (not necessarily in an unhappy way for michael), and then as a result of spending so much time together the wesley/rachel and grandparent marriages were a bit more organic. and maybe if wesley hadn't been so clearly "in" to rachel she would have been pushed on cleve, but if there was mutual interest there why not go with it? jmo.

• Upvote 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic