IGNORED

Mortons: A new year of Marryin', Birthin', and Writin'

SolomonFundy

12 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

so I wonder if Katie filed for TPR,

I'm guessing that TPR means "termination of parental rights" but I'm not sure. What is the correct meaning?

• Love 1

Could it be that he was applying for parole and got denied? Often times the Parole Board will hear victim statements when a prisoner is being considered for early release. Maybe that's what Katie was summoned for. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

I'm guessing that TPR means "termination of parental rights" but I'm not sure. What is the correct meaning?
I hope Katie prevails. Cutting that monster out of her life permanently. It wouldnt erase his evil deeds, but it would give her and the children some closure and peace of mind.
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 9

On 2/8/2019 at 9:54 AM, browngrl said:

That's what it means. 

I doubt Alan would be eligible for parole this early, so my guess would be a TPR or other custody type hearing. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the Cap'n & Jackie tried to assert grandparents' rights to try to get visitation, but that's clearly just speculative on my part. It could've also been a formal name change hearing for one (III or whatever number) or all of the kids.

• Upvote 11

3 hours ago, caitrona said:

That's what it means. 

I doubt Alan would be eligible for parole this early, so my guess would be a TPR or other custody type hearing. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the Cap'n & Jackie tried to assert grandparents' rights to try to get visitation, but that's clearly just speculative on my part. It could've also been a formal name change hearing for one (III or whatever number) or all of the kids.

Well now I’m hoping it’s a threefer!

1) TPR

2) no grandparents’ rights

3) name change

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

If the the Morton siblings & in-laws are praising God and Bret 'n Jackie are pleading with Him, it must be something to the good -- as you are all saying, let's hope it includes TPR, strictly supervised or no paternal grandparent visitation, AND a name change.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

Can someone link a good summary of the whole Brett legal fiasco?

I do believe this thread was started to be separate from that stuff and not digress into it, but it's too late for that now.

5 hours ago, freethemall said:

Can someone link a good summary of the whole Brett legal fiasco?

I do believe this thread was started to be separate from that stuff and not digress into it, but it's too late for that now.

I'd recommend reading the threads on it for a better sense of the details, since it's ongoing, and there are only 5 threads. I don't think anyone has made a summary of events, mainly because very little was known for the majority of the time since the news was reported. If anyone has, let me know, and I'll add it to this, or link yours instead.

Here's my very rough overview, which is not guaranteed to be complete:

* July 2016, Bret Alan Smith is arrested in Moultrie, Georgia on charges of incest, child molestation, and rape. Colquitt and Ashburn counties are possible locations at which the crime(s) occurred. @JustAnotherMaidenbroke the news here on FJ in the first of the 5 threads covering the topic. 

Link to the news report, which was the only information any of us had for the better part of a year:

https://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/local_news/man-accused-of-incest-other-sex-crimes/article_2319ac58-5388-11e6-bae2-57376db5cc29.html

* Numerous children are interviewed as part of the investigation. Katie and her children were living back on the senior Morton's compound almost immediately. Prior to this, it appeared that the majority of the Mortons planned to move to Paraguay en masse to set up a new compound there. After Katie moved back home, the elder Mortons seemed to abandon their plans, though the two other S'Morton couples remained in Paraguay with their children.

*Katie gives birth to her youngest child, Jackson Lee ("Jack"), just a week or so following Alan's arrest. A Morton (possibly Mike?) set up a GoFundMe for Katie's support and legal fees. 

image.png.40e79bbc21314b586da814b58becfe53.png

*By early August of 2016, the elder Smith clan started making noise on social media about the case. As the months passed, it became obvious that Alan's parents and grandparents were either in complete denial, or were actively trying to discredit the victims. Most notorious for a while was "Grandma Scarlett", Jacqueline's mother, who kept insisting that the GoFundMe was a "scam", and who has made a number of remarks about "disobedient children" who will regret shunning their parents over "misunderstandings". Because Jesus. The whole thing was utterly disgusting, and is still ongoing.

* Their behavior had far-reaching consequences. From outside appearances as well as public statements made by the Smiths themselves, all of their Morton-connected children have cut ties with Jacqueline and Bret Senior, and Bethany Smith Lane seems to be standing solidly with Rachel and Kressant. The fracture impacted the S'Morton marriage between Bret's mother, and Jeannine's father, and he ultimately left his wife to live on the Morton compound. He passed away about a year later, in mid 2017.

* The Mortons, and particularly the married S'Morton daughters, really rose to the occasion, and frequently engaged with the Smiths and their troglodyte friends and family who continually tried to victim-blame, and praised Alan for his forbearance. Rachel went in swinging a few times, and told off her mother's friends. The Smiths began publishing Alan's jailhouse poetry and "music" sometime in 2017/2018 to their facebook, and inviting people to see him as some sort of martyr. 

* Katie sought a divorce at some point in 2017. She seems to be using the name "Smith", as are her children as best as I can tell. However, her eldest son is now called "Brian" rather than "Bret". 

* At some point in early 2018, it appears that DSS/CPS (or whatever it is now) got involved with the Smith family. Suddenly and without explanation, their homeschooled children were sent to public school. The Smiths tried to spin this like they were doing it to help the kids, but it doesn't wash. From what they shared publicly, it appeared that most of the children were accepted into classrooms that catered to younger learners. 

* In April of 2018, Alan accepted a plea deal, and pled guilty to two counts of child molestation. This was a surprise to most of us here, who assumed he'd happily drag everyone through a lengthy court battle in order to avoid acknowledging guilt. @Bethella found that his maximum possible release date was July 24, 2020. He's currently housed at the Wheeler Correctional Facility, and this is what the piece of human garbage looks like now: 

image.png.bcb95f69b88e5696898132a5f156cd61.png

* As things stand now, he's eligible for possible early release, but otherwise will be locked up until July 24 of next year. No later. Based on the "justice" posts from the past week, we hope that some degree of access to Katie/her children has been denied, but we don't know. Katie and the kids seem to be doing quite well, and she looks happier than she has in years. She's been making artwork, got a haircut, and seems to be safe and happy at the compound. I don't think much of the way the Mortons' world view, but I have nothing but respect for the way they've treated Katie since her return, and the way they've publicly called out the Smiths for their hideous comments and behavior. 

I don't know what, if anything, is on the horizon. Alan will be out next Summer (if not before), and I suppose that there will be some Smith shenanigans when he is back in the fold. Hopefully, Katie and her children will be spared any further contact from him. I suspect that after a year or two passes, he will remarry some unfortunate fundy girl, and start a new family. With any luck though, he will trip and fall into a volcano instead. Here's hoping.

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 15
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, SolomonFundy said:

With any luck though, he will trip and fall into a volcano instead.

Or maybe be hauled away by an alligator -- looks like their range may include Colquitt & Ashburn. He is so vile and so are his parents. 

Thank you, @SolomonFundy, for a masterful summary.

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Love 1

On 2/7/2019 at 2:23 PM, SolomonFundy said:

I'm going to go ahead and call it: I think Martha is preggo. The times she's appeared in Instagram stories lately, she has looked unbelievably similar to Katie at the same age, while pregnant. Her face is quite a bit fuller as well. She looks happy.

I think so too. Campbell posted a group shot on FB and Martha's face is noticeably fuller. And while she's standing behind someone, it looks like she's wearing a maternity top.

• Upvote 4

Martha must be waiting awhile to announce. She hasn’t said anything on her Instagram page and if she’s already wearing a maternity shirt, she must be past the first trimester. It’s been awhile since Zandry was born so maybe she’s being cautious by waiting to announce. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I think so too. Campbell posted a group shot on FB and Martha's face is noticeably fuller. And while she's standing behind someone, it looks like she's wearing a maternity top.

Very interesting. How can you tell it's a maternity top? I thought Rachel was pregnant back in November (turns out she was) because the shirt she was wearing on the plane to Georgia had a front pleat. Are there any other indications to look out for?

Also from that photo, Martha is so tall! Campbell's face also looks a little fuller than usual. Time will tell.

43 minutes ago, albireo said:

How can you tell it's a maternity top?

The fabric looks to me like it's gathered in front but it could just be the print.

21 hours ago, albireo said:

Very interesting. How can you tell it's a maternity top? I thought Rachel was pregnant back in November (turns out she was) because the shirt she was wearing on the plane to Georgia had a front pleat. Are there any other indications to look out for?

Also from that photo, Martha is so tall! Campbell's face also looks a little fuller than usual. Time will tell.

Campbell posted on V-day some stories wearing a black sweater and she seemed to have a noticeable bump. I'm a little blind so maybe l'm wrong... Anyone else saw it?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I recently watched a documentary about ultra-orthodox Jews in Israel. One elderly couple who had 12 kids ended up with 80+ grandkids. I wonder which number the Morton clan will hit.

• Upvote 4

Mortons haven't been announcing pregnancies anymore, its shifted in the last few babies. I think Kennedy's first was the last announcement?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

I think the Mortons will reach 100. They are already over a third of the way there. 

Some of the less fertile ones may keep them from 100. Katie is likely done at 8. Lise May top out at 6. And Martha may be dealing with some secondary infertility since Zandry is three. It’s hard to guess how many Martha will end up with. Plus Addie may marry late, or never at all. If the others pick up the slack for the less fertile couples, they could end up with 100. I’m kind of hoping the youngest two boys don’t marry young and start popping out kids immediately. But so many of their older brothers have so they probably will too. And if they do, the Morton’s will likely hit 100 grandchildren.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

Mortons haven't been announcing pregnancies anymore, its shifted in the last few babies. I think Kennedy's first was the last announcement?

I remember Kennedy announcing her second as well, bc she was surrounded by all those vbac books in the pic. That might have been the last tho; I don’t remember Alyssa announcing last time. 

Eta: yikes. Went to Campbell’s fb to check out the pic everyone was discussing. Some real gems on there about the silent majority of women who don’t mind being treated as “the weaker sex”, destroying feminism, bringing worship to the White House. Blegh. 

Edited by picklepizzas
  • Upvote 8

18 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

I remember Kennedy announcing her second as well, bc she was surrounded by all those vbac books in the pic. That might have been the last tho; I don’t remember Alyssa announcing last time. 

Eta: yikes. Went to Campbell’s fb to check out the pic everyone was discussing. Some real gems on there about the silent majority of women who don’t mind being treated as “the weaker sex”, destroying feminism, bringing worship to the White House. Blegh. 

I remember Alyssa not announcing the last two, I think they announced the first though now that I think about it. I forgot Kennedy did - she locked down and I blanked on her age. 

ETA: yeah the blog post linked was.... interesting. Just read it and wow. 

Edited by lexiloumarie
  • Upvote 5

5 hours ago, fundiefan said:

That blog post was distrubing. These girls are raised in such an awful world and are convinced it's a good thing. 

The blogger behind that post is a close friend of Addie's and seems like one of the more "liberal" in their circle-- has her own apartment and job, etc. Unfortunately, being more liberal than the Mortons means very little.

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Some of the less fertile ones may keep them from 100

Agreed. To hit 100 each of the 12 kids would need to have 8 or 9 kids. It's probably biologically impossible for Lise or Addie to come close-- Lise is old enough that she could very well be done with 4, and I don't see Addie getting married before she's 30, if at all. Plus Martha has a lot of catching up to do. So each of the rest would need to have more like 10 or 11 kids each to pick up the slack, and Katie isn't going to hit that number, which then means that someone else needs to have more than 11, and so on-- mathematically, it just seems like a slim chance. But it's interesting to think about.

• Upvote 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic