IGNORED

Burka eating today

clibbyjo

My BFF is Muslim as are her husband and kids.

Hahahhahahahaha! That's an original one. My bestest bestie in the whole wide world is Muslim, so I couldn't possibly hate them! How convenient that you pull that out now when it never came up in 8 pages. But you've had every experience ever, so you are an expert in everything, and we should all believe every ridiculous thing you say.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
No, it's actions that make one a terrorist. And she's been accused, which in this country means innocent until proven guilty. It was her refusal to stand for the judge that got her back in the news.

I don't hate Muslims. You appear to hate Christians given your language about Jesus Christ.

Oh for fuck's sake. You're such an insufferable, pedantic, know-it-all special snowflake. Cursing does not equal hating Christians.

Dollars to donuts this somehow leads to you posting yet another boring ass, likely fictional anecdote that's only tangentially related to the topic and doesn't make you look nearly as wonderful as you think it does.

*ETA: I should read the whole thread before I post. Because shockingly, the anecdote was already trotted out!

My BFF is Muslim as are her husband and kids.

And I'm Marie of Romania.

Am I the only one who sees the title of this thread and gets a mental picture of people eating burkas?

No, you are not the only one.

And who would have thought that clibbyjo's dining out experience would take all the twists and turns - lol

No, you are not the only one.

And who would have thought that clibbyjo's dining out experience would take all the twists and turns - lol

Yes, I see this too. A nice big bite of fabric.

Yes, I see this too. A nice big bite of fabric.

LOL,I tried to give it an exciting title with as few words as possible. I guess its too exciting,because its a bit more out of control than I thought it would be :think:

On an exciting front, I did see a lace headcovering, jean skirt/tennis shoes(probably homeschoolers but all 3 kids were under 5) Mom and kids at Trader Joes today.

And I'm your cousin Tsarina Aleksandra.

(Man, Queen Marie of Romania had one heck of a life... Most of those kids weren't even her husband's!)

And as for burkas, I like mine grilled, no foreskins thank you very much.

Well I feel uncomfortable around anyone who won't show their face, regardless of the reason, b/c I depend so much on facial expressions for communication.

I do feel that burqas & the likes, are there now to subordinate women & attempt to make them effectively disappear. After having been to the ME, I very quickly came to my own conclusion about why theses modes of dress were adopted. If you've ever been in a dessert, you know what I mean. Sand everywhere....in your hair (makes it feel like straw), and in your eyes & your mouth. I actually think burqas were an answer to this problem, given that they originate from this area.

I'm not sure it had anything to do with modesty at first, but eventually came to be included in the Islamic teachings at some point, and the fundamentalists in that group incorporated the burqas and niqabs(?) as a means of controlling/hiding women.

BionicMan and I discussed this thread over dinner because it got me thinking...

We both felt it was normal to feel uncomfortable around something new or different. I think it's OKAY and HEALTHY in our culture to have and express discomfort - the problem is when people rest in that discomfort. This very thread educated me on various styles of muslim dress and challenged my viewpoint (and BionicMan's viewpoint) as this dress being demeaning to women. I SO appreciate our muslim posters - thank you for your perspective.

It IS disconcerting to be around something different. Education about the differences is what makes them "okay" - I don't think we ought to have an expectation that differences are "okay" to everyone -- if they are not we should work to educate, not condemn.

Oh for fuck's sake. You're such an insufferable, pedantic, know-it-all special snowflake. Cursing does not equal hating Christians.

Dollars to donuts this somehow leads to you posting yet another boring ass, likely fictional anecdote that's only tangentially related to the topic and doesn't make you look nearly as wonderful as you think it does.

*ETA: I should read the whole thread before I post. Because shockingly, the anecdote was already trotted out!

Here's another nice anecdote for NN. Recently fascists in my area held a protest "against Islam". Skinheads chanting "Allah is a paedo" and throwing Nazi salutes, if I was a Muslim I would be nervous as hell. But the bruising of one's tender feelings because someone said "Jesus fucking Christ".... get a grip.

I swear, some people do not know they are born.

Now, sure you could argue that English is a conglomeration and blah blah--who doesn't know that? Look. "Kosher" has been part of our lovely polyglottic lexicon for long enough that it doesn't need parenthetic explanation, but "alhumdulilah"? Not quite as common, yes? I'm thinking that's not just me since Google (per your instructions) brings up 4x the results for kosher as it does for the other.

I have a real problem in that I tend to use certain Jewish "code" words when they do not translate well into English. Naches, for example, takes a small paragraph to explain. Non-jewish women have similar feelings but no specific words for it. I try to avoid them though.

This. The fact of the matter is that some Hebrew (or Yiddish) words that refer to particular religious concepts in Judaism just don't translate very easily into English. I try and explain any random ones, but sometimes I forget. I also try and use English when possible, but there are some Jewish terms that have English translations that, while conveying the meaning okay, also convey a totally different connotation than the Hebrew term because they carry totally different implications when used in a Christian context. For instance, the Jewish and Christian concepts of Heaven and the afterlife are pretty different in a lot of fundamental ways. Were I to talk about them in any depth here, it might make more sense to talk about "Olam Habah" and "the afterlife" or "Shamayim" and "Heaven" just as a way of trying to differentiate between the two concepts. That's not a great example, but it's what I'm coming up with on the fly.

If someone wants to get bent out of shape because I used a Hebrew word and forgot to provide an English translation, whatever. They can either ask for clarification, Google it or get crabby because someone used a non-English word in the course of conversation. Personally, I wish my life was so fabulous that that would be enough to ruin my day. Of course, I also already knew what alhumdililah meant. Honestly, I don't think it's that big a deal. I get irritated about it with Lina not because she's using Hebrew words but because she's often using them incorrectly, shoehorning them into sentences for no apparent reason and generally doing it just to "prove" how "Jewish" she is. I don't think anyone here does that.

As far as niqab goes, I would definitely feel uncomfortable if I went to see the doctor or a shrink, and they turned up with their face completely covered. Culturally, I think most Westerners are conditioned to look at the whole face to read mood, expressions, et cetera. It's normal to be a little weirded out initially if you've never seen someone in niqab, and I think when you're in a vulnerable position, say in a doctor's office, it's totally reasonable to want to see someone with whom you'd feel most comfortable. For that reason, I probably wouldn't go to a doctor that wore a full niqab. Other people might prefer a doctor who covered, so they can go to someone that fits that bill. I certainly wouldn't assume ill intent or something because someone was wearing a niqab, it's just something that takes getting used to. People can do whatever floats their boat, so far as I'm concerned, as long as it's not hurting anyone else and they're doing it of their own volition.

Recently fascists in my area held a protest "against Islam". Skinheads chanting "Allah is a paedo" and throwing Nazi salutes, if I was a Muslim I would be nervous as hell. But the bruising of one's tender feelings because someone said "Jesus fucking Christ".... get a grip.

I'd be nervous too around skinheads and facists. They are hate filled people.

I am a member of Isaiah.

http://www.isaiah-mn.org

I work with immigrants. My grandmothers were both immigrants and it is in the memories that I welcome all immigrants.

I don't have tender feelings, I have a grip, and I still think Lissar is a foul mouthed person who really doesn't like Christians. And my best friend and her family remain Muslim.

I am a member of Isaiah.

I work with immigrants. My grandmothers were both immigrants and it is in the memories that I welcome all immigrants.

I don't have tender feelings, I have a grip, and I still think Lissar is a foul mouthed person who really doesn't like Christians. And my best friend and her family remain Muslim.

WTF? Did you just compare Muslims to skinheads and racists?

And yes I too thought we were eating burkas in this thread. I like mine with sauce.

And Faustian Slip I think you explanation of why a full covering makes some uncomfortable is spot on.

WTF? Did you just compare Muslims to skinheads and racists?

To me it sounded like she was saying that she too would be nervous around skin heads as they are hate filled people. Did I read that wrong?

Edited because I had my words all wonky and inside the quote. Ooops!

I am a member of Isaiah.

Um. I'm a Christian and have seen Lissar's posts for a long time and never got the I hate Christian vibe from her.

Guest Anonymous

Well you're right about half of that and dead wrong about the other half. I swear when I'm angry and in a place that swearing is appropriate. Hint: This is such a place. I am a Christian although I am trying to figure out exactly how to reconcile that with having to share the label with people like you. (Anti-choice, holier-than-thou, bigots.)

You haven't been here very long so you might not know that I absolutely adore many of the Christians here as well. None of us agree all of the time but we learn from one another. Burris, MamaJuneBug, formergothardite, Raine, and lots of others would be welcome in my home for tea, coffee, or wine, at any time. I just can't stand you for the reasons I stated above. You can ignore everyone who curses if it bothers you so much, there will probably be a few people left when you get done.

ETA:

Um. I'm a Christian and have seen Lissar's posts for a long time and never got the I hate Christian vibe from her.

Thanks, I always really enjoy your posts. :P

Clarification of my posts: racists are actually doing scary stuff and proving they hate Muslims. Lissar saying "Jesus fucking Christ" is not even remotely comparable, does not prove she hates Christians (she has said she is one!) and I strongly disapprove of pulling the card NN pulled to avoid the onerous business of having a viable argument. 8-)

I am a member of Isaiah.

Oh Puh-LEEZE!! Do you even realize what kind of a forum you're on? If you bothered to read the FAQ you'd realize what a stupid assertion that is. We question all kinds of theology here, with an eye for detecting bullshit. (Ooops, I swore!)

There is a definite pattern to your posts. First, you feel like you have all the answers and need to educate others. Then you go one to describe either your own experience or the experience of "someone you know." You must know a hell (swearing again!) of a lot of people who all happen to have experiences that pertain to the topic you're commenting on. Another pattern is to make a passive aggressive slam at someone, then end it with some phony niceness.

Seriously, you don't seem much different than the fundie bloggers we snark on.

Archived