IGNORED

Burka eating today

clibbyjo

If you've ever been in a dessert, you know what I mean. Sand everywhere...

Hee. I mostly lurk, but between the deep fried burqas and this, you guys are planning the grossest meal ever. :D

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think NN might be fundie-lite. She is anti-choice, which always sends off a red flag on my fundie-radar.

Well you're right about half of that and dead wrong about the other half. I swear when I'm angry and in a place that swearing is appropriate. Hint: This is such a place. I am a Christian although I am trying to figure out exactly how to reconcile that with having to share the label with people like you. (Anti-choice, holier-than-thou, bigots.)

You haven't been here very long so you might not know that I absolutely adore many of the Christians here as well. None of us agree all of the time but we learn from one another. Burris, MamaJuneBug, formergothardite, Raine, and lots of others would be welcome in my home for tea, coffee, or wine, at any time. I just can't stand you for the reasons I stated above. You can ignore everyone who curses if it bothers you so much, there will probably be a few people left when you get done.

ETA:

Thanks, I always really enjoy your posts. :P

I have also never gotten the anti-Christian vibe from you.

And slide over here closer to me. I like the foul moth!

While I lurk 99% of the time, I have been considering asking the mods to include an 'ignore' option, as NN's post always piss me off. And that was BEFORE this thread

I think to ignore someone you click on their profile and put them on your "foe" list. I could be wrong, though.

Several years ago there were two Saudi women in the same college classes I was in. They both wore the trenchcoat-like dress and headcoverings, but their faces were completely visible. One of the women always had plain headcoverings and the other woman's headcoverings were fancier. Interesting fabrics, kinda of decorated. It was summertime and I just had to know so I asked "Aren't you hot??" The one with the pretty headcoverings laughed and said "You get used to it."

WTF? Did you just compare Muslims to skinheads and racists?

NO, I did NOT. I wrote: "I'd be nervous too around skinheads and facists. They are hate filled people." How you got comparing Muslims to skinheads is beyond me. I didn't use the word racist. Maybe you've confused my reply with another.

I think NN might be fundie-lite. She is anti-choice, which always sends off a red flag on my fundie-radar.

I am Catholic, I've mentioned that several times. Guess your radar missed that, better get new batteries. I'm a cafeteria Catholic, I believe in birth control, I believe women should be able to be ordained, and priests should be able to marry. If gays and lesbians left the Catholic Church there'd be no church. I believe abortion is always wrong but 1st trimester abortions need to remain legal. I am opposed to the death sentence.

I wasn't aware one had to be fundie or fundi lite to be against abortion. I will have to tell my Catholic friends that. Also the Jews I know who are against abortion. And the atheists. I know no fundies or fundie lites in real life.

Hee. I mostly lurk, but between the deep fried burqas and this, you guys are planning the grossest meal ever. :D

Don't forget the foreskins!

NO, I did NOT. I wrote: "I'd be nervous too around skinheads and facists. They are hate filled people." How you got comparing Muslims to skinheads is beyond me. I didn't use the word racist. Maybe you've confused my reply with another.

There's no reason that Sunni or any Muslim person should have to leave out "Alhumdililah" now that you are familiar with what it means.

Who said she had to leave it out? I am not trying to edit anyone's posts for them. Lina and Sunni and John Jacob Jingleheimer can alhumdililah and lashon hora and alpha to the beta as far as they want. They have the right, and I have the right to find it, uncontextualized, annoying.

See, in the thread about Lina where several posters are discussing the legitimacy of her religious/cultural/phrasal choices, and using certain terms to do so, it doesn't seem out of place or annoying. It's actually interesting. Like when FaustianSlip (in that thread) wrote:

you're not practicing "every detail" of halacha (which isn't capitalized, usually, BTW)

I like to know things like this. And if we had a fake Muslim convert wannabe sprinkling their conversation with alhumdililahs and inshallahs, and Sunni stopped by and said, "just so you guys know, this doesn't ring true to me because ..." I would find that interesting, too.

Guest Anonymous
I strongly disapprove of pulling the card NN pulled to avoid the onerous business of having a viable argument. 8-)

Unfortunately that's par for the course with her.

I have also never gotten the anti-Christian vibe from you.

And slide over here closer to me. I like the foul moth!

Thanks treemom.

Seriously it takes some kind of hubris to get from "this person doesn't like me" to "this person hates all Christians even though they identify as Christian themselves."

There is a definite pattern to your posts. First, you feel like you have all the answers and need to educate others. Then you go one to describe either your own experience or the experience of "someone you know." You must know a hell (swearing again!) of a lot of people who all happen to have experiences that pertain to the topic you're commenting on. Another pattern is to make a passive aggressive slam at someone, then end it with some phony niceness.

Seriously, you don't seem much different than the fundie bloggers we snark on.

Yep. If 75% of one's posts can be appropriately replied to with "... Cool story, bro" then you may have an anecdote addiction. The first step is admitting you have a problem, NurseNell.

I am Catholic, I've mentioned that several times. Guess your radar missed that, better get new batteries. I'm a cafeteria Catholic, I believe in birth control, I believe women should be able to be ordained, and priests should be able to marry. If gays and lesbians left the Catholic Church there'd be no church. I believe abortion is always wrong but 1st trimester abortions need to remain legal. I am opposed to the death sentence.

I wasn't aware one had to be fundie or fundi lite to be against abortion. I will have to tell my Catholic friends that. Also the Jews I know who are against abortion. And the atheists. I know no fundies or fundie lites in real life.

Catholics can be fundies, how did you get the idea that they can't be? Denomination is no barrier to fundamentalism.

If you know as many people as you claim to and are as active in the community as you say, you're delusional if you think you don't know any fundies or fundie lites, unless you live in a liberal utopia.

I sincerely hope that treemom has the time and the inclination to school you on the subject of abortion but I don't blame her if she doesn't want to mess with you.

Are you planning to retract what you said about me hating Christians, since we've established that it's untrue?

Just because you are Catholic or Jewish doesn't mean you don't have fundamentalist beliefs. Let me assure you lots of the catholics here in Memphis are indecipherable from the fundie-lites.

She just said it sets off her radar, not that she was absolutely sure. But this idea that Catholics can't be just as stupid as fundamentalist evangelicals is pretty absurd.

Is there a way of hiding threads? This one won't die and every time I see it I think it's some sort of charity event with grilled niquabs, hijabs, and other articles of traditional Islamic clothing served on buns. Perhaps with cheese.

It was the too that made me draw the comparison...as in as well as.

You said facist (misspelled and I read it as racist.) I apologize.

I TOO would be scared = just as a Muslim would be scared.

Sorry for misspelling fascist, my bad, going typing too fast with my one finger typing.

I sincerely hope that treemom has the time and the inclination to school you on the subject of abortion but I don't blame her if she doesn't want to mess with you.[/

I noticed the first trimester abortion should be legal disclaimer and wondered if I should dip my toe into that pool or not.

I guess first I will ask, Nurse Nell, do you know my story about having a late term abortion by the very reviled Dr. Tiller? And about knowing (ala the Baby Joseph story) that sometimes there isn't a right choice and a wrong choice, both choices are equally heartbreaking, difficult and fraught with emotion?

Or about how laws aimed at 'protecting life' pushed by the anti-choice (because let's be honest, they were against offering my any alternatives other that bringing a baby into the world through what would likely break multiple bones and tear tendons to have her intubated and kept alive while unable to actually treat her disorder or the symptoms. She would just eventually suffocate), anyhow those laws removed an option for me to have prenatal hospice? Where we can deliver the baby by c-section and not immediately stablize her, instead comforting her, trying to nurse and letting her die in peace?

So do you know my story? I have written about it a lot...and when people tell me what I did was wrong or should be illegal I always want them to know what that means. And then tell me how that is on the side of the sanctity of life?

I TOO would be scared = just as a Muslim would be scared.

Sorry for misspelling fascist, my bad, going typing too fast with my one finger typing.

I guess first I will ask, Nurse Nell, do you know my story about having a late term abortion by the very reviled Dr. Tiller? And about knowing (ala the Baby Joseph story) that sometimes there isn't a right choice and a wrong choice, both choices are equally heartbreaking, difficult and fraught with emotion?

So do you know my story? I have written about it a lot...and when people tell me what I did was wrong or should be illegal I always want them to know what that means. And then tell me how that is on the side of the sanctity of life?

No, I'm sorry I don't know your story. I had an anencephalic sister pre Roe vs Wade. I have a little idea of how difficult such a decision would be. And that there is no right or wrong choice. I do not think you were wrong to make the decision you did.

And Dr. Tiller never should have been killed.

Is there a corrallory to Godwin's law that talks about people bringing up abortion, because I think we violated it and I am a little amused to have gone from burka eating to abortion in about 3 steps :)

Catholics and Jews can be fundie and fundie-lite too. I just said I thought you might due to the fact that you are anti-abortion, which is usually a sign of at least being fundie-lite.

There's a website on Kosher Starbucks items that I came across while bloghopping one day: http://www.kosherstarbucks.com/ My impression was that it's very thorough.

Starbucks is generally overpriced, the only thing I ever buy there is chai tea latte.

ETA: Because I'm a moron and posted this in the wrong thread.

On the subject of Muslim headcoverings I feel, as I do about most headcoverings, slightly meh. Let people wear what they want and what they are comfy in. So long as you aren't actively shamed for wearing/not wearing a headcovering, I don't really care.

Burqa in Afghanistan come in different colours, indicating what part of the country you're from. In Kabul they tend to wear black. In the south they're white. In the north (outside Kabul) they're blue, which is the most common and in Nuristan they're bright green.

Ladies fold their burqas back among other women, or remove them entirely.

I hate the fact that they're meant to keep women faceless and anonymous, but at the same time, they're graceful and convey an aura of mystery. I've found that hating the burqa yet being fascinated by it is not uncommon.

We have a lot of Somali hijabi girls here in SoCal. Their fashion sense is FIERCE. They all look like a million bucks.

I just said I thought you might due to the fact that you are anti-abortion, which is usually a sign of at least being fundie-lite.

I know many cafeteria Catholics who are anti abortion. Having seen abortions I have no illusion about what they are.

But this idea that Catholics can't be just as stupid as fundamentalist evangelicals is pretty absurd.

Anyone can be stupid, lots of examples here. Even agnostics and atheists can be stupid. Some of the smartest book knowledge people can be really stupid when it comes to common sense. We've probably all seen that.

I know many cafeteria Catholics who are anti abortion. Having seen abortions I have no illusion about what they are.

Neither do I.

Archived