IGNORED

Joy and Austin 17: Staying Off the Internet

Coconut Flan

13 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

It was in the 'after show' that aired back in the summer. I can't remember exactly what she said, but Jinger expressed the sentiment that she'd prefer not to go the all-natural-homebirth route, and Jessa enthusiastically encouraged her to give birth in a hospital and have drugs/an epidural if that's what she wanted. That was also the conversation where Jana expressed that she would also prefer something closer to a hospital setting when giving birth.

Was this after Jill gave birth to Samuel?

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there were comments of concern about Derick after the surgery, because he did not look well for quite a long time. Also concerns about Israel's bruising. I don't consider that BEC.

38 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

It was in the 'after show' that aired back in the summer. I can't remember exactly what she said, but Jinger expressed the sentiment that she'd prefer not to go the all-natural-homebirth route, and Jessa enthusiastically encouraged her to give birth in a hospital and have drugs/an epidural if that's what she wanted. That was also the conversation where Jana expressed that she would also prefer something closer to a hospital setting when giving birth.

That actually makes me happy if they are willing to accept one of the sisters making a different choice about how to give birth. I'd hate to think of any of them being shamed by the rest of the family for making different choices. Good game Jessa. Seriously. 

Actually, for as quick as Joy was to show in her first pregnancy, I think she looks good in her latest photos- To me she doesn't look all that much bigger. I still think she'll have a larger than average baby. I also think from what we have seen, the Duggars diet is lacking in basic nutrition, and in addition, they seem to enjoy fast food and eating outside the home..neither of which bodes well for many (honestly, most) peoples'  waistlines.

5 hours ago, PVMom said:

What?! RubyRel?   WTH.   It is of course my place to judge, that's what we do here on FreeJinger.    What are you doing on this board deciding what can be judged about Duggars and what can't?!   WTH.

This board is all about noticing every detail and judging about their lifestyle, their choices, every little literal fact.    Saying that Joy has packed on the pounds is rude?!  Here on FreeJinger?!   Who the hell are you?    It's a fact, do you have eyeballs RubyRei?  

We judge here RubyRei.   If you think differently you are in the wrong place.    

You've been here about 5 minutes and you think you can tell us what Free Jinger is and does?  Bitch, please!   You need to take some time and familiarize yourself with our documentation.

If that is what you think FJ is about, you need to find another place to be because this isn't the one for you.

1 hour ago, luv2laugh said:

Was this after Jill gave birth to Samuel?

No before. Jill and Derick weren't there. It was filmed not long after Joy and Austin's wedding. 

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Nope.  That poster has been a member for almost 11 months.  Sad to think that anyone could get that impression from reading FJ for that long.

Agree.  A very big stretch.  I don't think the person you quoted was guilty of doing this, but after the fact justifications for obvious BEC can be as distasteful as BEC itself.  It's like saying, "Yes, I did call someone a pizza face.  I only meant that it is terrible that mommy and daddy don't buy them some Proactive.  It was fair game because I was being educational."  Bullshit.

Dear Rufus!  Whatever happened to sweet?  You must have been channeling me because you took the words right off my keyboard. :lol:

I can understand being a bit confused about the difference between snark and BEC commentary because it can be tough to tell the difference at times. But to come back into the thread, bitch out another poster who rightfully called you out, and proceed to state we tolerate comments we don’t? I have zero tolerance for that. 

Why is it ok to point out Michael Bates’s perceived weight gain but not ok to do with Joy? It should both be wrong, hear me out here.... 

For example: I’ve gotten heat from others here from suspecting a Duggar was pregnant but my feelings would be really hurt if others commented on weight gain. I may be in the minority since I personally don’t think there’s anything wrong with asking if a Duggar could be pregnant, given their quiverfull beliefs,  but weight -whether someone looks too skinny or fat- is uncalled for. However, I rarely question a potential pregnancy anymore since it’s likely they’re always bound to be pregnant more so than not pregnant. It would surprise me if any of them were not pregnant for a long period of time rather than pregnant at this point.

I say this from personal experience. I actually ended a friendship because a friend gossiped and spread a rumor about me possibly being pregnant after I gained some weight and it’s irksome to think that Jen Aniston has been pregnant 1000 times at this point. However, it’s not a big deal IMO to guess that a Duggar could be pregnant as long as it’s not malicious or obsessive like how paparazzi have been with Jen Aniston over the years.

Back to Weight: However, regarding weight, I’m NOT a fan of the discussion. We have people discussing Michael Bates’s weight in the Bates thread and others, rightly so, having a cow over the same thing done with Joy here. It’s not consistent and it’s confusing. If I was new, I’d get confused and wonder why is it ok to say XYZ gained weight but not ABC? 

I’m not a fan of people discussing how a female xyz Duggar looks anorexic or how xyz Duggar has gained weight but I’m also not a fan of snarking on Joshley’s weight gain and Derrick’s thin frame/face either. It goes BOTH ways for me. If we call out people being rude for talking about a female Duggar’s weight, lets do the same for posters that do it to the guys? Joshley and Derelict aren’t exactly the best people but I think it’s good to be consistent with this. Some posters mentioned Anna’s weight loss after the Joshley scandals came out, posters are currently deliberating over Michael Bates’s perceived weight gain, and if a poster points out XYZ’s weight gain they, and RIGHTLY so, get raked over the coals. I just think people should try to be consistent because it’s fair and doing otherwise may confuse people and cause posters to repeat these gaffes. At the end of the day, I think most on FJ could attest that a changing appearance is not noteworthy but a changing worldview is. All of us, including the Duggars will have a changing, aging body but what we care about is will their worldview change?

23 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

If we call out people being rude for talking about a female Duggar’s weight, lets do the same for posters that do it to the guys?

I would definitely encourage everyone to do that.  These standards apply to everyone we discuss, not just the women.

Disclaimer:  I don't spend much time on Duggar threads, but I did notice a valiant attempt to keep discussion on Derick's beliefs and actions and not on his appearance recently.  Thanks to whoever that was ...

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

discussions on prenatal care are fine, but speculating on gestational diabetes based on weight gain in pregnancy is a huge stretch.

Actually the research points to there being a relationship between high weight gain in the first trimester and the subsequent development of gestational diabetes. It is not clear whether the weight gain is the cause of GD or a precursor sign. This is a rather well known fact among endocrinologists and not a "huge stretch" at all.

Secondly, extremely large for gestational age babies are outside of the norm, historically AND in current times. Just because you had a 10+ lb-er does not make that common, nor does it mean that most 10+lb pounders are not predisposed to being 10+lb-ers for some medical reason. There is a whole body of thought/research out there that consistently high blood glucose levels throughout pregnancy are most likely the cause of the VAST majority of these babies. Note that this does not mean that you'd necessarily fail your glucose tolerance tests, you could come right under or you could fail them a week or two later than tested. Too much blood glucose will make the baby grow inappropriately large. 

Also, I'm kind of baffled at your comment on why look at parental size when looking at the neonate - hello that's a fairly standard procedure in medicine. It is why, for example, you would not have a concern about two very physically small parents giving birth to a baby in the 10th percentile, but that same baby would be classified as SGA or IUGR for another set of parents. 

I have had 6 pregnancy losses in my lifetime, for a variety of medical reasons including a complicated genetic disorder and for me the paramount issue has always been the health of the baby I am carrying. I am fairly appalled at the Duggar lackadaisical approach. It may have already caused significant issues at Samuel's birth but they have been very lucky so far. Eventually and statistically lucky breaks eventually run out. Which is why I wish all these Duggar daughters would have more sense than what we've seen with Jill at least so far.

1 hour ago, luv2laugh said:

Why is it ok to point out Michael Bates’s perceived weight gain but not ok to do with Joy? It should both be wrong, hear me out here.... 

For example: I’ve gotten heat from others here from suspecting a Duggar was pregnant but my feelings would be really hurt if others commented on weight gain. I may be in the minority since I personally don’t think there’s anything wrong with asking if a Duggar could be pregnant, given their quiverfull beliefs,  but weight -whether someone looks too skinny or fat- is uncalled for. However, I rarely question a potential pregnancy anymore since it’s likely they’re always bound to be pregnant more so than not pregnant. It would surprise me if any of them were not pregnant for a long period of time rather than pregnant at this point.

I say this from personal experience. I actually ended a friendship because a friend gossiped and spread a rumor about me possibly being pregnant after I gained some weight and it’s irksome to think that Jen Aniston has been pregnant 1000 times at this point. However, it’s not a big deal IMO to guess that a Duggar could be pregnant as long as it’s not malicious or obsessive like how paparazzi have been with Jen Aniston over the years.

Back to Weight: However, regarding weight, I’m NOT a fan of the discussion. We have people discussing Michael Bates’s weight in the Bates thread and others, rightly so, having a cow over the same thing done with Joy here. It’s not consistent and it’s confusing. If I was new, I’d get confused and wonder why is it ok to say XYZ gained weight but not ABC? 

I’m not a fan of people discussing how a female xyz Duggar looks anorexic or how xyz Duggar has gained weight but I’m also not a fan of snarking on Joshley’s weight gain and Derrick’s thin frame/face either. It goes BOTH ways for me. If we call out people being rude for talking about a female Duggar’s weight, lets do the same for posters that do it to the guys? Joshley and Derelict aren’t exactly the best people but I think it’s good to be consistent with this. Some posters mentioned Anna’s weight loss after the Joshley scandals came out, posters are currently deliberating over Michael Bates’s perceived weight gain, and if a poster points out XYZ’s weight gain they, and RIGHTLY so, get raked over the coals. I just think people should try to be consistent because it’s fair and doing otherwise may confuse people and cause posters to repeat these gaffes. At the end of the day, I think most on FJ could attest that a changing appearance is not noteworthy but a changing worldview is. All of us, including the Duggars will have a changing, aging body but what we care about is will their worldview change?

It’s not ok to discuss Michael’s weight and people have politely mentioned that in the thread. The different reactions are due to how the topics were each broached - people gently questioned why Michael may have gained weight, while this particular user flat out fat shamed Joy, a pregnant 20 year old. I do agree with you that it’s not ok to shame men for their weight or appearances either though. I’d much rather shame Josh (or any of these men) for being a hateful and hypocritical bigot then for the size of his waistline.

The only time I find it appropriate to comment on something like that is in a situation like the Rodrigues family where the parents are clearly eating enough and the children look malnourished. 

(And posters aren’t currently debating Michael Keilen’s weight. That was last month if I remember right. The current discussion is on why she might want to have a fertility test done by Dr. Vick instead of the Doctors she is seeing in Illinois.)

I will say that there are certain circumstances where I have no problem pointing out someone's weight, like the fact that Donald Trump ridicules women for not being perfectly thin while being on the verge of obesity himself.

So we are not sure exactly what went on with Samuel and his birth, but something or other.

I am already nervous for #3. Guess I’m a bit neurotic. But great prenatal care would make such a difference for Jill. Here’s hopin’

Hold on a second I have missed something while I was trying to wrap my head around JRod. Someone seriously fat shamed a pregnant woman? The gal is growing a human in her stomach area. Did JRod show up in the wrong thread? 

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

It’s not ok to discuss Michael’s weight and people have politely mentioned that in the thread. The different reactions are due to how the topics were each broached - people gently questioned why Michael may have gained weight, while this particular user flat out fat shamed Joy, a pregnant 20 year old. I do agree with you that it’s not ok to shame men for their weight or appearances either though. I’d much rather shame Josh (or any of these men) for being a hateful and hypocritical bigot then for the size of his waistline.

In my own personal humble opinion, IF I were Michael, I still would have my feelings hurt if someone gently questioned my weight gain and I'd consider it rude.  I agree with you that the poster here was completely in the wrong in how she worded her comment regarding Joy's weight. However, some people really struggle reading between the lines in a social context and interpreting whether a comment is worded gently or flat out rude thus, why consistency is key when it comes to things like this.  Otherwise, some people will wonder why is it ok to discuss Michael supposedly gaining weight but not Joy? Being consistent just eliminates confusion for everyone, in my opinion.

Now to get a bit off topic and personal here, when I was in high school at an evangelical Bible-based youth group, my "best friend" spread rumors about me being pregnant amongst all the youth leaders and other kids attending. I had always been thin but I gained a good amount of weight during a rough time in my life which I eventually lost though. I had gone to a party and had a few youth leaders watch me take a piece of cake and say "Wow, a second helping huh?! " I had girls whispering and staring at me each Sunday. Eventually, I had blood tests and a urine sample done when I had to go to the ER for a dislocated knee and figured I'd bring the confirmation in paper that I wasn't pregnant to youth group. I confronted the friend, and announced I WASN'T pregnant and that I was hurt by her spreading the rumor. I flat out told her to stop and quoted scriptures from the Bible on gossip and slander. She said actually said, "Sorry, we had just questioned why you had gotten chubby."  People can be so cruel to each other.

4 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

Actually the research points to there being a relationship between high weight gain in the first trimester and the subsequent development of gestational diabetes.

True.  it's also true that there are a million other reasons for the same weight gain or large babies that have nothing to do with gestational diabetes.

My point was that discussing prenatal care is great.  Looking at a pic and making assumptions or internet diagnosing a total stranger based strictly on weight gain is irresponsible.  

19 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

Otherwise, some people will wonder why is it ok to discuss Michael supposedly gaining weight but not Joy? Being consistent just eliminates confusion for everyone, in my opinion.

This is a great point.  Because different people read and participate in the different threads community policing won't always be consistent, but we should strive to be.  If you see a line being crossed feel free to report just as a heads up to the mods (there is no way we could read every thread) just so we can pop in and check it out.

8 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

In my own personal humble opinion, IF I were Michael, I still would have my feelings hurt if someone gently questioned my weight gain and I'd consider it rude.  I agree with you that the poster here was completely in the wrong in how she worded her comment regarding Joy's weight. However, some people really struggle reading between the lines in a social context and interpreting whether a comment is worded gently or flat out rude thus, why consistency is key when it comes to things like this.  Otherwise, some people will wonder why is it ok to discuss Michael supposedly gaining weight but not Joy? Being consistent just eliminates confusion for everyone, in my opinion.

Now to get a bit off topic and personal here, when I was in high school at an evangelical Bible-based youth group, my "best friend" spread rumors about me being pregnant amongst all the youth leaders and other kids attending. I had always been thin but I gained a good amount of weight during a rough time in my life which I eventually lost though. I had gone to a party and had a few youth leaders watch me take a piece of cake and say "Wow, a second helping huh?! " I had girls whispering and staring at me each Sunday. Eventually, I had blood tests and a urine sample done when I had to go to the ER for a dislocated knee and figured I'd bring the confirmation in paper that I wasn't pregnant to youth group. I confronted the friend, and announced I WASN'T pregnant and that I was hurt by her spreading the rumor. I flat out told her to stop and quoted scriptures from the Bible on gossip and slander. She said actually said, "Sorry, we had just questioned why you had gotten chubby."  People can be so cruel to each other.

Thank you for your response, but you don’t need to explain to me. I’ve already said I agree questions about Michael’s weight are just as wrong as the questions about Joy’s or anyone else’s. Posters in the Keilen thread have already pointed out why they don’t like the speculation about her weight or possible pregnancies and many have cited how horrible it would be if she read those comments, especially given their fertility struggles. I’m pretty sure we’re on the exact same page on this. :pb_lol:

My point is basically this - speculating about anyone is wrong, but the tone of the original comment absolutely sets the tone for the responses. If you come in acting like an absolute asshole and then get defensive when someone mildly calls you out for it then you’re going to get a ton of very firm pushback from the community here. If you come in and politely ask a question then you’ll also get pushback, but the responses will be much more polite and gentle. If someone does not understand that then they need to either ask for clarification, reread (or read) the site guidelines, or just lurk until they do understand. I’ve mentioned before not having an issue helping newer posters out (and some have taken me up on the offer privately), but I’m not about to play nice with someone who publicly makes a rude comment, attacks another user, and then proceeds to state we encourage commentary here that we don’t.

As for your personal story, I am sorry that happened to you. That “friend” sounds like an ass and she should have been absolutely ashamed of herself.

8 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

This is a great point.  Because different people read and participate in the different threads community policing won't always be consistent, but we should strive to be.  If you see a line being crossed feel free to report just as a heads up to the mods (there is no way we could read every thread) just so we can pop in and check it out.

I can attest that the Admins are pretty great about responding in this way. I’ve reported posts that had possibly questionable content before. If the poster was out of line then Admins clearly let them know that. If they weren’t then they may clarify in the thread what the guidelines/rules are or they may just respond privately letting you know they took a look and nothing seemed amiss. It can be a good method for helping to standardize responses to certain topics, but I do think community policing should remain the main method in general.

On 12/18/2017 at 5:37 PM, SilverBeach said:

With all the emphasis on marriage for life in their culture, and the dearth of other events worthy of dressing up, you might think that the super specialness of the occasion would warrant wearing other than everyday casual clothes. 

In my culture, dressing down for a formal or even semi-formal wedding would get you badly talked about.

Not only that, but drawing attention to yourself by looking out of place is rude when all the focus should be on the people getting married.

I would have thought so too. But maybe because there are soooo many weddings, they become less formal?  Like it's a special day for the people involved, but in terms of what happens in most of their lives, it's not that big a deal.

I say this as well because I, an English person who is used to a certain minimum formality at weddings, went to a wedding in Ohio and was vastly over-dressed. The wedding party were in formal wear. Most of the guests were wearing sundresses or slacks and shirts. There were definitely people in jeans and polo shirts. And then me and my three friends in English wedding attire, suit and tie for the guys, long dresses and heels for the girls. Just a different expectation, I guess.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:49 PM, CaricatureQualities said:

Why were the ER doctors shocked? I think I'm missing something. Were they surprised another MD thought to get to the ER fast and didn't assume it was nothing? .

I was shocked 11 years ago to find out when Mr. Four, a physician, had heart surgery, that his physician had NO other physicians as patients, nor did he know any physicians who treated other physicians. He said at the time that he felt that most physicians treated themselves (BAAD IDEA! Not too objective!)

I was shocked beyond belief when I found out many, many years ago that my own GYN doctor had delivered her own child in the morning one day and was operating on a patient that same afternoon. I would NOT believe that she was in any fit state to operate on someone else. I was disappointed and a little angry with her.

On 1/12/2018 at 10:29 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Probably shocked that she didn't call an ambulance. An abruption is extremely painful and can cause massive blood loss, and can be fatal to both mom and baby if not treated extremely quickly .  

I believe this speaks to the "it can't happen to me" thing. I think I'd have called an ambulance, too, but some people won't relinquish their control so easily.

On 14/1/2018 at 7:05 PM, nelliebelle1197 said:

Who the hell are YOU?

:pb_lol:Missed you Nellie! Please tell me work isn't too crazy anymore and you can spend more time with us.

I'll "weigh" in on this one... ;)

I think it's absolutely ridiculous to say commenting on someone's weight in a normal way is off limits. How is that any more or less offensive then commenting on someone's hairstyle/clothes/religion/lifestyle/spousal selection/parenting skills/general appearance? This is effectively a gossiping site. That's totally fine (I obviously enjoy it), but let's not get it twisted. Commenting on fundies and getting the dish on their crazy lives is why we're all here, and while I think it's important not to be straight up mean or hateful, the general gossiping rules apply...which means that basically everything, including someone's weight, are going to come up occasionally.

With that said, I think there is a HUGE difference between normal, largely benevolent gossip ("Whitney is looking FINE just a few months after having a baby! How does she do it??"/"Joy is carrying a lot like Jill, I hope she opts for a hospital birth in case it's another 10-pound blessing"/"Alyssa and Jinger have always been very slim"/"Michaela has looked a bit fuller lately...hormonal treatments can do that, so I'm glad Brandon supports her decision to take advantage of modern medicine if that's the case"/"Josh has looked a lot bigger since rehab, I hope he's not using food to cope with the stress"/"So-and-so has such a great figure, she's so curvy and feminine"/"So-and-so has a lot to work with but her styling could be way better"/"I'm so glad So-and-so is just enjoying life and not stressing so much about staying a size 2") and hateful, invasive, rude, honestly unacceptable bashing ("So-and-so looks like a freaking cow, how far along is she?! She probably has gestational diabetes. Lay off the Cheetos"/"So-and-so is so bony and anorexic-looking, what man would want to have sex with her?"/"So-and-so's titties are on the floor, can't she get a decent bra?"/"I see So-and-so still hasn't lost the baby weight"/"So-and-so clearly was getting it on before marriage because she is way too YUUUUUUUUUGE to be only five months along").

As long as the comments are sensible and not particularly venomous, I don't see why weight (or any other class of comments) should be off-limits.

21 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

Also, I'm kind of baffled at your comment on why look at parental size when looking at the neonate - hello that's a fairly standard procedure in medicine.

Exactly! It's too unfortunate then that we aren't practicing medicine here. Armchair diagnosing people with GD from pictures isn't among best practices right? Not saying that was what you were doing just that we have to be careful and use some good sense while discussing this sort of topic if we want to have a meaningful conversation. 

The undiscussed fact that there are factors that may lead to certain health problems isn't in question. What @HerNameIsBuffy probably meant is that you can't reach conclusions about people's health from little more than pictures nor you can diagnose them with anything because you THINK they have ONE risk factor.

As for big babies we can agree that it's not common to have one. But on the basis of the little we know about these people's health you can't really infer at which risk factor this may be due nor exclude genetics.

To be honest in our conversation we need to distinguish between when we state facts and when we speculate making a guess, as educated as it can be.

1 hour ago, bananabread said:

This is effectively a gossiping site.

Wrong. This is a SNARK site. Small difference maybe but quite substantial. We snark on FACTS and when we speculate we state so and try to keep it to a minimum. Maybe if people wandered outside duggarland they would notice.

23 hours ago, Destiny said:

That actually makes me happy if they are willing to accept one of the sisters making a different choice about how to give birth. I'd hate to think of any of them being shamed by the rest of the family for making different choices. Good game Jessa. Seriously. 

I do think Ben has opened Jessa mind a little bit.  She seemed VERY RIDGED in her beliefs when they 1st married, and Ben just did what she did, but they've both grown as they've interacted with others.  Jinger has changed her wardrobe but I'm not sure any of her core beliefs have relaxed the way Jessa's have. But I do think Jessa and Jinger would give each other a big pass on anything they did and "forgive and forget" each other where I'm not so sure they'd be as forgiving of other siblings, like Jill, or Josh, maybe Joe and Joy and their respective buddy teams but not all of them. I imagine it is impossible to be super close to 18 other siblings some of whom are 10 years old and others 10 years younger or what ever the age spread is for the middle kids.    

OT but I reflected a bit on the Duggar girls and thought of some predictions for each of them. LOL I was bored and clearly have no life at the moment!

Joy: I think she will be the most fundie since her husband’s family is fundie. I think this is also why Jessa is a bit fundie since Ben’s family is fundie. They both have more incentive to tow the line. Barring complications, Joy will have a baby each year. They will always be IFB Quiverfull fundie.

Jessa: Like Joy, she married into a fundie family and seems comfortable with her current lifestyle. I think it's possible Jessa may eventually become pants-wearing fundie-lite but it will take a good 5 years. Jessa will always be at minimum, fundie lite since Ben is a theology nerd. I think they both will eventually end up fundie lite and attend a 5 point Calvinist type of church. I can see Ben becoming a pastor of one someday.  I think Jessa will continue to have a baby every year or so for awhile to "fit in" but eventually, I see her stopping after 6 kids to "fit in" with the Calvinists as they stray away more and more from IFB fundies.

Jill: I'm very surprised by her seemingly changing worldview. I think that her life experiences outside of the US, her birth complications, attending a mega-church, and being around a pants-wearing MIL and college kids, have caused her an identity crisis and she's questioning her past IFB fundie belief system. I think that Jill will continue to support her hateful "sweet hubby" but inside, I think that she is showing signs of having a healthier worldview. I can see Jill having a family of 4 kids and now, being content with it. I think that Jill will eventually, work a full-time job as surprised as I am to say that. I can easily see her working in healthcare as a CNA or midwife full time now. I also think she will do this as a form of escape from her crazy husband.

Jinger: Girlfriend is totally mainstream Christian. I think that Jinger will support Jeremy in a Calvinist ministry and they will have a small family. I don't see them having more than 4 kids. 

It's interesting to note that each of the Duggar girls have become similar to that of the families they've married into. They're each becoming very similar in ways to their mother in laws.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived