IGNORED

Dillards 46: Now with Pants and a Possible Nose Piercing

Coconut Flan

I do have a picture of my cat stuck in one of my books, but there is also pieces of plastic/paper towel/part of an amazon delivery invoice, my grocery store receipt. As long as it's close to me, it gets suck in there. I lose actual bookmarks. :P 

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also dog-ear pages. I like my favourite books to have that lived-in look. Muahahahaha.

I read on my Kindle most of the time. I love being able to download books from my local library wherever I am in the world. Don't need a bookmark, either.

My current bookmarks (I have several books "going" right now, as always) are:  my dental insurance card, a post-it note, a size tag from a shirt I bought, and one of those "subscribe now" inserts that come in magazines. Whatever's nearby... lol

Receipts make good bookmarks as well.  I've moved onto tablet reading, I love the bright back ground so I'm not fumbling to find a bright enough room AND I can make the prink bigger.  Finding large print books is a PITA, so with my shitty eyes, my Ipad is the way to go. I'm getting a kindle Fire for Christmas, my Ipad is about 6 years old and is having major issues, so I need something newer.

I used to use transit transfers as book markers, I'd collect them all and it was a reminder of how long I took to read the book. 

Re: to Jill having Doodoorick's photos as her bookmarks for her Bible...

When I was a teenager I printed pics of my celeb crushes and made them into bookmarks and glued them all over all of my notebooks for school. :my_angel: I was like 14 and the pics were of half naked men for the most part. Oh imagine if I had done that to my Bible! I just settled covering it with some cow pattern and Christian stickers. Church youth worker and pastor thought it was cute and clever - Pimp My Bible was a thing back then.

I wonder what my pastor would've said if he saw the notebooks... LOL

My bookmarks are always my due slip for when I have to return it to the library. :pb_lol: 

Regarding Jill, yes. I think she's trying to hard. Her behavior kind of screams a bit of jealousy to me. I feel like Jinger threw Jill over the edge a bit. I think Jill has always been in a bit of competition of Jessa, so seeing her with her perfect little family probably bothered her, but she could've rationalized it with "look I'm a missionary!" Then Jinger happened. She married a preacher, she moved away from Arkansas while still living in the States and gets to dress however Jeremy tells her to she pleases. Now Jill is in competition mode. She has to compete with one sister's IG ready family and the other's new found fashion. And because she's such a try hard, it comes off horribly.

Yes, I realize that's a bunch of random speculation but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 hours ago, ThunderRolls said:

I follow these fools on social media, and they've been trying to show that they are open to other cultures for awhile now.

(In response to a woman asking whether they're open to Chinese people joining their church)

"Of course. We love Chinese!" - Jill Michelle Dillard

7 minutes ago, JillyO said:

(In response to a woman asking whether they're open to Chinese people joining their church)

"Of course. We love Chinese!" - Jill Michelle Dillard

I'm pretty sure that was actually Derick but the point still stands!

16 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I read on her IG that she makes lists of things to do, so that she can cross stuff off of that list. FFS, she has 2 small kids, no job, an unemployed husband and double digit numbers of helping hands right around the corner, and she has to schedule an infant's bath and runs laundry without soap? 

Full honesty: Earlier this week I washed a load of cloth diapers. I usually do a rinse, then a full wash with soap. This time I rinsed it and didn't realize until I went to transfer it to the dryer that I hadn't done the full wash... So I can see how it happens, especially if you want to do a pre-rinse and don't have a machine that'll let you do it automatically! I can also understand doing a list to keep up with chores, just to make sure you don't forget something. I keep a weekly task list, and I only work part-time, with one child and local family to help. Then there's the visceral satisfaction of crossing it off.

Something else to keep in mind: If Jill does have PPD, as some posters have speculated, keeping a list and scheduling might be a way to cope and get things done. "Well, I don't want to get up off the sofa/leave the house for grocery shopping/cook dinner, but it's on the schedule, so it has to be done."

Re. bookmarks, I do a combination of actual bookmarks, since the library I get them from hands out paper ones by the fistful, and random stuff. Currently one book has a library bookmark and the other has a three-year-old theater ticket. 

As someone who works in a library, I hate getting books with pictures in them, because then I feel obligated to call and tell someone they returned photos by accident. As a reader, however, I do love it when someone leaves dollar bills!

Oh, I can totally understand accidentally running the laundry with no soap. Seems like a very easy mistake to make when you're distracted and busy. Just the other day I was about to run the laundry and had to pause and think back a couple steps to make sure I had actually put the detergent in. For some reason it didn't occur to me to Instagram this hilarious event, but there's always next time!

My current bookmarks are a Starburst wrapper and a subscription card from a magazine. Toilet paper and receipts get used often too. But to be fair, I read more than one book and I drag them all over my house. If I only ever read the bible I might have a dedicated bookmark for it because it would be a lot easier to keep track of one book. It still probably wouldn't be a photo of my hypothetical husband though. A kid or a pet, maybe. Although I guess based on Derick's twitter, he's basically an animal. An ass, to be precise.

1 hour ago, AlwaysExcited said:

Things I have used as bookmarks recently: pens, pencils, eraser, kitchen magnet, another book. 

I got confused because I imagined a legit dick.

EDIT: OH MY GOD I READ PENS AS PENIS SORRY I'M DRUNK.

things i've used for bookmarks:  cat photos, candy wrappers, paper clips, clean tissues, necklaces, receipts, magazines, cel phone.  

bad idea for a book mark:  dog biscuit.  don't do that.

I have more than once over the last few months run a load of laundry without putting the CLOTHES in!  Ai yi yi.

On 12/4/2017 at 4:05 PM, 12 Hungry Safety Pins said:

The Dillards always "receive" stuff! God forbid they should ever give anything! :roll:

They give me heartburn.   Headaches.  

On 12/5/2017 at 11:21 AM, HarleyQuinn said:

I suppose if she can't be attached to his hip 24/7 that's a compromise? :pb_lol:

or attached to other body parts?  (yeah, I went in the gutter again)

37 minutes ago, AlwaysExcited said:

Things I have used as bookmarks recently: pens, pencils, eraser, kitchen magnet, another book. 

Toilet paper works well too

40 minutes ago, AlwaysExcited said:

I misread that and thought it said penis for a second. My first thought was “well I guess it would work if you weren’t going anywhere” 

I don't really mind dog-eared pages on a worn-in book, but if it's brand new... ehh, not so much.

I write my name and the date in most books when I finish reading them (I ask permission if it's borrowed from an individual though). I don't know if that's terrible, but when it comes to used books I've always loved seeing other people's names and dates and notes and stuff, so I like to contribute to that.

Business cards are my preferred bookmark! They work really well. I actually like to collect pretty business cards for that exact reason.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived