IGNORED

Maxwell 15: Simplifying Thanksgiving into Less than Regular Dinner

Coconut Flan

1 minute ago, Captain Obvious said:

That said - what fundie family is doing more than that? Replace the Maxwells’ elderly ministry with a prison ministry, music ministry, the occasional praycation, tract printing or being a douche on Twitter, and that’s about as close to “works” as most fundies get.

We see the marquee--level families, the headliners. I.e. those with INCOME enough to do even that. Many, many of the families in this world are scraping by. I imagine that does have a lot to do with it. [Not defending the Maxwells here, don't be confused!]

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

We see the marquee--level families, the headliners. I.e. those with INCOME enough to do even that. Many, many of the families in this world are scraping by. I imagine that does have a lot to do with it. [Not defending the Maxwells here, don't be confused!]

They could use their time to help others. Like Lawson Bates. He sings to the kids at the hospital. That is actually doing something to help others. 

I went to my client today who gets her Thanksgiving meal from the local supermarket (ShopRite). I saw the list The stores basic Thanksgiving meal (before adding anything extra) is more then what the Maxwell's are having. 

4 hours ago, browngrl said:

To be fair, Miracle whip is the work of the devil :my_biggrin:

Come on---miracle whip on rye with roast beef and provolone is quite tasty!

@Granwych, that may be true if you don't LOATHE, ABOMINATE and DESPISE Miracle Whip and mayo.  The smell of either makes me nauseated.  I even mute the mayo/Miracle Whip ads on TV or change the station.

Vivian Howard had something she called "banana sushi" on one of her book launch show.  It was sliced banana on white bread spread with Duke's mayo androcles up like sushi.  I thought it was completely disgusting. 

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They could use their time to help others. Like Lawson Bates. He sings to the kids at the hospital. That is actually doing something to help others. 

Some would argue that he'd do more for those kids by volunteering NOT to sing. 

Darn, I hate when I see a riffle to late to fix it.  I meant the banana sushi was rolled up.  Androcles is from Androcles and the Lion.  Sometimes I can't stand autocorrect!

15 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Darn, I hate when I see a riffle to late to fix it.  I meant the banana sushi was rolled up.  Androcles is from Androcles and the Lion.  Sometimes I can't stand autocorrect!

Haven’t seen “riffle” for ages - aaah, old school FJ.......

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Granwych, that may be true if you don't LOATHE, ABOMINATE and DESPISE Miracle Whip and mayo.  The smell of either makes me nauseated.  I even mute the mayo/Miracle Whip ads on TV or change the station.

Vivian Howard had something she called "banana sushi" on one of her book launch show.  It was sliced banana on white bread spread with Duke's mayo androcles up like sushi.  I thought it was completely disgusting. 

I'm also on the mayo-and-its-ilk hate train, and was raised in a family that put mayo on pretty much everything. The "banana sushi" you described is verbatim the "nanner sandwich" my parents both eat at least 3-4 times a week for lunch. Two pieces of white bread, Duke's mayo on both slices, and half a sliced banana in the middle. My dad ups the nasty by shaking a little salt on it before closing the sandwich.

This was dinner at least a few times a month when I was growing up, and on those nights, I just gnawed on a piece of bread. Happily.

18 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

The new book. Spinster Sisters! Lol

I must admit - after writing it for a while I started to get confused with the Scissor Sisters... so basically exactly the same then... :pb_eek:

New post up about how Terrified manages her back.  Refreshingly, there was no sermon about praying away the pain involved.  It struck a chord with me because I have been dealing with back pain since Monday and I was hoping she would offer some tips.  Meh.

I must weigh in on the mayo/Miracle Whip debate:  I love mayo!  My favorite thing as a kid and teen was mayo sandwiches.  Bagels, dark breads, white breads - didn't matter what kind of bread - I just loved them.  Drove my mother crazy with the amount of mayo I went through.  I hate Miracle Whip!

Miracle Whip is just...meh, but SWEET BABY JESUS I LOVE MAYONNAISE.  My great-grandmother, mom of my aforementioned grandmother, always made her own so I got spoiled early.  I also once had a college roommate from Belgium and she dipped her fries in mayo - she got me hooked and I still do it to this day.

@Captain Obvious,  Miracle Whip started out as a cheaper variation of mayo.  It was mayo mixed with another type of salad dressing, probably a boiled dressing.  I got this information from Wikipedia and quickly changed the page to one on Mrs Beeton.

I definitely thought I hated all mayonnaise/Miracle Whip things because I grew up on Miracle Whip, but mayonnaise and Miracle Whip are different. Miracle Whip is disgusting. Mayonnaise is amazing. I do occasionally dip my fries in mayo now. I ALWAYS put mayonnaise on my sandwiches now. It's seriously a game-changer. I'm obsessed. 

Teri's back pain post - is that her bedroom, and if so why is it so huge, and why is there a twin bed in it?  

14 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

Teri's back pain post - is that her bedroom, and if so why is it so huge, and why is there a twin bed in it?  

It's where Jesse sleeps when John is out of town. Can't sleep alone! 

35 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

Miracle Whip is just...meh, but SWEET BABY JESUS I LOVE MAYONNAISE.  My great-grandmother, mom of my aforementioned grandmother, always made her own so I got spoiled early.  I also once had a college roommate from Belgium and she dipped her fries in mayo - she got me hooked and I still do it to this day.

Homemade mayo?

I’m shivering in delight at the mere thought. 

In your debt, 

MJB

I believe Miracle Whip was invented around 1933 as a less expensive alternative to mayonnaise.  According to Wikkipedia Miracle Whip is made from water, soybean oil, high-fructose corn syrup, vinegar, modified corn starch, eggs, salt, natural flavor, mustard flour, potassium sorbate, paprika, spice, and dried garlic.

Yum yum.  It's definitely an acquired taste and I did acquire it as a kid.  I still prefer it over mayo but when I make a pasta salad, I do mix the two along with a few other ingredients to make it creamy. 

40 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

Don’t think that’s the Terifying Stevil’s Chamber o’ Sweet Fellowship ... they showed it a while ago and it included a bed with headboard and a very large computer screen on a dresser or desk. 

Could it be the girls’ room [sic] (sick!! grown women considered girls!) —- although i can’t imagine the Terifying Stevil permitting two women to lie next to each other. There’s a reason for all those single recliners n the Prayer Room. 

15 minutes ago, Bajovane said:

Yum yum.  It's definitely an acquired taste and I did acquire it as a kid.

Way back when, Big Mama JB brough home Miracle Whip by mistake. I still remember her doing a version of the spit-take when she bit into the bologna sandwich, hee!

I’ve enjoyed a pasta salad made with MW, and the older & mellower I get, I can imagine it is good as a condiment here & there. But for my sandwiches,  give me mayonnaise or give me mustard! 

13 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

That is, without a doubt, the grossest thing I’ve ever heard of. 

13 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I never ate mayo or Miracle Whip as a kid, mainly because my mother didn't like it.  In nursing school, I worked as a cook in a rest home where I tried lots of stuff.  Mayo and Miracle Whip were a few, along with fried eggs, creamed chipped beef, and a few others.  I learned more from working there than from Mom, lol.

12 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Some would argue that he'd do more for those kids by volunteering NOT to sing. 

No, really, he's teaching them what music shouldn't sound like!

I thought the spinster sisters had bunk beds. This is very puzzling. It's not like they have out-of-town married relatives visiting for whom they'd need a guest room with double bed. We all know the marrieds live within spitting distance and the rest of their families are HERETICS who don't believe in the one true church of Stevehovah.

Did John get that bed for cheap and is storing it in his current shared bedroom right under his parents' eyes to prevent any potential hanky-panky during those renovation sessions at HIS house with Chelsy?

Unless of course they are elaborately trolling us and the double bed is for Sarah's sleepovers with her Muslim, liberal lesbian lover. Who is also a pro-choice campaigner.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived