IGNORED

Maxwell 15: Simplifying Thanksgiving into Less than Regular Dinner

Coconut Flan

Yeah, pretty sure it’s not the Maxwell master bedroom. I found the old thread where we were discussing Teri telling us to make our beds and found the photo (which I’d posted). 

69C466E8-9B39-46DB-B5EE-540A98D9B089.jpeg

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the room Teri's exercising in the guest room that showed up on the blog fairly recently (maybe the post where Chelsy visited John)?

It seems like an all purpose guest room, exercise room, office, etc.

God that duvet on Steve and Teri's bed is revolting!

I do believe that post a out Teri's back is one of the few featuring Teri's actual voice. She seems almost...human.

27 minutes ago, terranova said:

God that duvet on Steve and Teri's bed is revolting!

I do believe that post a out Teri's back is one of the few featuring Teri's actual voice. She seems almost...human.

I think the bed skirt + cover + pillows is just way too much. If she change s the bed skirt to a solid color and got rid of some pillows, it would be much better. 

2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Yeah, pretty sure it’s not the Maxwell master bedroom. I found the old thread where we were discussing Teri telling us to make our beds and found the photo (which I’d posted). 

They need a plaque exhorting "Think of Jesus" or the like.  Oh, never mind, I'm sure that any sweet fellowship takes place in the dark.

That dust ruffle does not coordinate with the comforter.

The entire setup reminds me of 70s.  The Maxwell clan are really caught in a time warp.

Do they have radiant heat?  Those tiles would be awfully cold in the winter. 

3 hours ago, kpmom said:

Is the room Teri's exercising in the guest room that showed up on the blog fairly recently (maybe the post where Chelsy visited John)?

It seems like an all purpose guest room, exercise room, office, etc.

They're very considerate by lining up all the flavored lubes on the bedside table for guests.  

They are not very big on decorating their rooms, are they? Not even a headboard. I mean, I don't have a headboard, but I also don't tout how important it is too keep a proper home. 

BTW, I noticed Calia has disappeared from Joseph's about me section. They do note, though, that He and Elissa are expecting their second child. Hmm. 

17 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

If we forget Sarah (who has already been "passed" by two younger siblings in a race to the altar), it is Anna's turn to get married after John. Maxwell kidults have married in their birth order, and Anna is 25 now and not a youngster anymore in the fundie circles. Elissa was younger when she married, and I think NR Anna was something like 24-25. If it is Jesse who enters the joys of sweet fellowship next, I think we can safely say the poor Maxwell "girls" will never be allowed to marry...

Bringing this over from the Bowers/Bontragers thread in QoS....

Lurker has a really important point here.  Up until now, the children have married in birth order, with the exception of Sarah.  If Steve wants Sarah to stay the exception, he has to marry Anna off next, and in any case he MUST marry Anna off before Jesse (if Mary finds a match first.)

There are plenty of reasons why a woman might not marry -- personal inclination to stay single, no suitable offers, a calling to remain at home, private medical matters we the public don't need to know. One spinster daughter is not a crisis: see Jana Duggar, with four married younger sisters.

BUT for a man preaching the virtues of daughters safe at home under a headship, to have two unwed daughters while their younger brothers enjoy marital bliss is a public admission that he will never let them go and that his entire quiverfull system of childrearing has failed in its ultimate aim of multiplying. This is especially magnified in a culture where men marry slightly older, on average, than their sisters.

6 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

BTW, I noticed Calia has disappeared from Joseph's about me section. They do note, though, that He and Elissa are expecting their second child. Hmm. 

I just saw that also. That is really odd. 

I wonder if Steve will ever realize what he's done to Sarah and therefore become rather obsessive in finding matches for his younger daughters. I think it's too late for Sarah in fundie land. Her age makes her a spinster in their circle. But I wonder if he will actually try to get the youngest married off. Knowing Steve, he probably won't loosen the leashes and if the girls find a match, it's because a guy just fell in their laps. 

Allison Bontrager has posted some of her breakfasts lately. Some of them look downright delicious. I bet John was also drawn to Chelsy because she actually cooks delicious food with flavor. I want to go to the Bonewell wedding just for the food....

15 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wonder if Steve will ever realize what he's done to Sarah and therefore become rather obsessive in finding matches for his younger daughters. I think it's too late for Sarah in fundie land. Her age makes her a spinster in their circle. But I wonder if he will actually try to get the youngest married off. Knowing Steve, he probably won't loosen the leashes and if the girls find a match, it's because a guy just fell in their laps. 

Steve will never see the error of his ways.

Anna and Mary's best chance at this point is Chelsy matchmaking for them. 

Sarah is hopeless. Even if steve did let go of her she's so scared of the world she wouldn't want to leave the cage. Imho. She'll keep house and care for her ageing parents and will then keep the Fathership running until she is put to pasture herself, doing everything on the schedule daddy approved in the manner daddy approved and judging anyone who does things differently as ungodly "extended" family included. Getting a dog of her own is likely the high point of her entire existence. 

I love Miracle Whip, even though it exposes me for the swamp-dwelling possum hillbilly that I am. And it is has about half the calories of mayo.

PS I see that Chelsy and John have registered for a whipped cream dispenser. I hope they use it on their honeymoon. : )

I've thought about the girls and how I highly doubt Stevehova will ever let them go.  I am sure young men have expressed interest - but getting any approval from Steve is impossible.  No one will ever meet up to Steve's extreme standards.

No, he will never see the error of his ways.  No wonder the girls have such empty smiles.

18 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

How many Carebears did she have to skin for that throw???

I don't believe it's hopeless at all for Sarah just in terms of fundie men being interested in her. She's in her mid-30s, so there will be guys all the way from their late 20s on up who would like to marry a woman of her age. Yes, a lot of fundie men want a 22-year-old bride, but not all. There are those who would be perfectly happy with a comparatively older bride, either because they like her as an individual, or because the fact that she won't be able to have 10+ children, while still adhering to quiverfull values, might appeal to them.

The problem is going to be Steve - does Steve think there's still a chance for Sarah, and will he allow any men through to pursue her? And if he does, the problem becomes Sarah herself. Does she still believe she has a chance? Is she more afraid of change than sticking with the life she knows?

And another problem is just lack of choice. Especially in fundie world, your options diminish as you get older. That doesn't mean it's hopeless, not by a long shot, but it is true that most of the men her age, within her religion, are already married. Of those who aren't, many of them are either divorced or remain unmarried for a reason. I think if Sarah were willing to get on eHarmony or Christian Mingle and search the entire country for a man who meets her specifications, she would probably be successful in finding him. Sarah is an attractive woman and seems to have a nice personality. There are plenty of men out there who are looking for someone exactly like Sarah, a pretty, kind, very conservative Christian woman in her mid-30s. But could they find her, get through Steve, and would she accept one of them if they did? That's really the question.

@SolomonFundy & @PennySycamore I HATE mayo too. My mom was always angry with me for not eating "nanner sammiches" or "mater sammiches" (a slice of tomato spread with Duke's mayo on thin white bread- in our house, Duke's was THE mayo). Yeah, we were poor & I, too, ate plain bread instead of those nasty-ass sandwiches. 

I don’t eat mayo much except in an egg and mayo sandwich. 

Calia not being in Joseph’s bio is weird, but maybe they thought the fact they mention “second child” implies that they already have one, and that when this second child is born they’ll mention Calia by name again. 

Aren’t we also about due for another family photo? 

Teri's new Mom's Corner really pissed me off.

She talks about women writing to her that their kids don't respect them.  One of Teri's unmarried son has decided it's because the women don't respect their husbands and are modeling this disrespect.

So one of these snot nosed, smug sons, one of whom had to get permission from his family to announce his own friggin' engagement, has decided disrespectful kids are the fault of a disrespectful wife.

From whom did son learn that, I wonder?

Oh, Chelsy, see what you signed up for?

Teri brings out the verse that says wives are to reverence their husbands.  The dictionary definition for reverence is:

"a feeling or attitude of deep respect tinged with awe; veneration."

Respect?  Fine.  Awe and veneration? Um, no.  No human being is worthy of awe and veneration.  How depressing it must be for a fundie wife to find her husband has feet of clay after being  indoctrinated with this b.s.

Teri goes on to quote this "encouraging" email from one of her readers:

“At my bridal shower, women wrote advice on 3×5 cards. One woman instructed me to be a ‘Yes, Let’s’ kind of wife. So that no matter what crazy scheme (or sedate suggestion, your mileage may vary) your husband suggests, be quick to have a ‘yes’ attitude instead of thinking of all the reasons why it is a bad idea/won’t work/would be too hard/etc. Oh, the stories I could tell. But 14 years in, our marriage is amazing, and sometimes he even asks what I think about a crazy scheme before he launches it and is shocked when I say, ‘Why are you asking me? I’m in.’” 

Yes, sometimes this wife of 14 years is even asked her opinion!  Why it's almost as if she a human being! 

I find the email truly depressing.  I find the whole Corner depressing.

Hmm let's think about this later. Boy Fundie sees Father Fundie dominating Mother Fundie in conversation, family decisions are made by Father Fundie and Mother Fundie is constantly expected to submit to Father Fundie's opinions and expectations. Boy Fundie is told that father always knows best and that when Boy is grown up, he will be expected to lead his family and in fact any other woman, including Mother when she is old and widowed.

But if Boy Fundie treats his mother the way Father does, the boy is labeled disrespectful and... For some reason it's blamed on the mother?! The somersaults of logic these people have to go through is insane.

Also... Petty but I cannot stand how Teri and Sarah always write that "some" asked about whatever topic. Some what? Some people? Some dogs? Some apples?

Boy I hope it was Jesse and not John. At least Jesse has the excuse of being a young and sheltered 23 year old. John will be 27 soon and he's had more real life experience and has a fiancé. Eh who am I kidding. It's probably john. Have fun with that Chelsy! 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived