IGNORED

Lori Alexander 32: Breastfeeding Begets Boners

mango_fandango

I don't get the point of Lori's post today. Most feminists that I know of don't deny that men might have some different physical capabilities. Although some women are stronger than men. And women in the past have often had to toil for just as long and as hard as men. Rich privilege alert! And women can be involved in a lot of the jobs she listed as being only for guys. And a quick google search shows that males are not always bigger in the animal kingdom. Soooo what's the point of her writing? Did my feminist brain miss it? And what's with the commentaries of old thing? I suppose she doesn't know that they have their own biases. I want to be cherished, but I'm not a fragile object. I'm a human being that like most other human beings wants love and affection. 

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, SuperNova said:

"Sorry honey, not tonight. I'm dying from a brain tumor."

What kind of selfish asshole is asking for sex when his wife has a brain tumor!?  A man like that would turn any woman bitter. Geez, Ken. 

Not to be nitpicky, but hasn't Lori said they knew from basically the beginning the tumor wasn't cancerous and was also not lethal?  Maybe I am misremembering. Anyone help on that?

22 hours ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

It hit me that Lori's post today isn't about prayers for families, but its another show off of godliness. This time its not who is the most poor or who wakes up the earliest, but who will take a bullet to prove their godliness. 

Lori says:

Slight problem there Lori.  The shooting had nothing to do with religion. It had to do with proximity to the person that the shooter wanted to kill.  He also was "obsessed" with mass murders so getting your target plus a bunch of other people was a bonus for him.

It was essentially a domestic situation that caught other people up.  We know if his wife had come to Lori and asked for advice because he was abusing her and the children, Lori would have told her to stay and continue to "win him without a word"

3 hours ago, Koala said:

The fact is, she alienates people.  She acts like she knows it all.  She thinks she's too godly for everyone else.  She gossips about her "friends".  Of course no one invited her to dinner!  Who's going to sign up for that kind of abuse?

Not to mention, who wants to go out for a nice meal and have someone mentally counting your calories and whether you are eating too much, too fast, too loud, etc.  When I go out to eat I pay attention to my food, not the people around me.  I don't care how they eat what they ordered or if they eat all of it or get some to go home with them. 

I could not eat under that kind of scrutiny.

26 minutes ago, Curious said:

Not to mention, who wants to go out for a nice meal and have someone mentally counting your calories and whether you are eating too much, too fast, too loud, etc.  When I go out to eat I pay attention to my food, not the people around me.  I don't care how they eat what they ordered or if they eat all of it or get some to go home with them. 

I could not eat under that kind of scrutiny.

Oh gosh that would be horrific. Going out is a treat to be enjoyed. Although I can't imagine what it would be like for her children. Especially since one is a dancer. I know there's a lot of pressure in those circles to be thin. 

You know why I love my monthly dinners out with my cousin? Because we both love food.  We start texting each other three days before we meet to make sure the other has checked out the menu of the restaurant. We both say "I NEED MEAT!"  (Inside joke) And then we start a very serious conversation about dessert. How can we manage to try as many desserts as possible?  We usually order about three and ask for four spoons, pretending our husbands are going to help. 

The rest of the month, we both are fairly moderate eaters but we LOVE those splurge  meals and we laugh at ourselves and everything else all evening.  Food can be advenurous and fun, but you have to be with fun people for that so Lori has probably never experienced that kind of night. 

Judging people based on their eating habits or food choices is just wrong on so many levels. I couldn't imagine using that as a measure of someone's value or goodness. But with that being said, I would really love to sit down and eat a meal with Lori. My mother and grandmother were sticklers about proper table etiquette. I even had to take classes for it. I would dearly love to sit across from Lori so I could scrutinize and judge every aspect of her eating habits the way she does to other people. I want to see where she places her hands, how she unfolds her napkin, where she places her fork between bites, how she eats an olive, what order she eats the food on her plate, then slap her on the wrist for every mistake!

1 hour ago, Sarah92 said:

I don't get the point of Lori's post today. Most feminists that I know of don't deny that men might have some different physical capabilities. Although some women are stronger than men. And women in the past have often had to toil for just as long and as hard as men. Rich privilege alert! And women can be involved in a lot of the jobs she listed as being only for guys. And a quick google search shows that males are not always bigger in the animal kingdom. Soooo what's the point of her writing? Did my feminist brain miss it? And what's with the commentaries of old thing? I suppose she doesn't know that they have their own biases. I want to be cherished, but I'm not a fragile object. I'm a human being that like most other human beings wants love and affection. 

Yeah.  Most men have greater physical strength than most women, because they have more muscle mass than we do. I'd actually be OK with Lori mentioning that, if she didn't go on to say that means all women have to stay home because we're too weak to work.  Some women have the physical strength to perform physical work, and that's fine.  I'm OK with the idea that women in general are more childcare-oriented than most men, this seems to be true of most men and women that I know, but there are notable exceptions that I know of, and YMMV.  The real problem is Lori's dogmatic statement that all men must be providers, and all women must be mothers, regardless of whether the individual is suited to that role or not. 

That was a large part of what went wrong in my first marriage.  My ex was forced into the role of provider, for which he was very poorly suited. He did have good intentions, but he did not have the physical strength to do manual labor, and he was too irresponsible and lacking in maturity to hold down any job for long, or perform it well.  But according to Lori I should have continued to sit back, stay home with the munchkins, and let his lack of responsibility put us on the street because he couldn't/forgot to pay the bills.  :pb_rollseyes:  

1 minute ago, delphinium65 said:

Yeah.  Most men have greater physical strength than most women, because they have more muscle mass than we do. I'd actually be OK with Lori mentioning that, if she didn't go on to say that means all women have to stay home because we're too weak to work. 

Help me out here. How does a man's physical strength equate to the ability to be head over the woman? 

Also using Lori Logic, if a man is created by god as a physical being, isn't Ken working at an office type job against god's will? Shouldn't he be out there cutting down trees or building skyscrapers? 

Just now, SuperNova said:

Help me out here. How does a man's physical strength equate to the ability to be head over the woman? 

Also using Lori Logic, if a man is created by god as a physical being, isn't Ken working at an office type job against god's will? Shouldn't he be out there cutting down trees or building skyscrapers? 

It doesn't.  It may mean that the most physically demanding jobs are done by men, but even at that there's no reason to exclude women who are also capable of performing those jobs.  And yep, Kennie should be out there choppin' wood and building log cabins, breaking a sweat, like a MAN!  

You guys!  Ken does not need to chop down trees or work in construction to be a man. Ken plays basketball. And we all know that nothing makes a man or prepares him for World War Three like sports. 

Besides we can judge a man based on how much control he has over his wife so.... Oh wait. 

1 hour ago, SuperNova said:

The truth of the matter is, I know a number of 22 year old women who could outrun, outwrestle and outclimb Ken. He's 60, for goodness sake! Does he really think he is physically superior to ALL women? I'd like to see him on the track, racing some of the strong, fit young women at my daughter's high school. For that matter, if he ran a marathon, does he think his time would be superior to every woman running? 

Maybe he's stronger than Lori (who looks fragile enough to break into a million pieces), but he's hardly stronger than all women, or even most.

I like how Lori says she liked it better when only men were in the military, the fire dept or the police dept. None of her sons, though, chose to fill those roles. The world needs another orthodontist and another orthodontic consultant! 

Yes and it doesn't show where she got the whole women have weaker minds thing. She spent the whole post talking about physical strength. So where does her weaker mind stuff come from? 

See this is where some of the confusion about gender comes from. I'm intelligent, I've spent most of my life being academically focused. I'm more analytical and not very emotional. So according to her I'm a guy right? But I'm not.... So do I need to change my behavior to be more feminine? (whatever that means) Putting such heavy emphasis on strict gender roles causes confusion. 

17 minutes ago, Hisey said:

I like how Lori says she liked it better when only men were in the military, the fire dept or the police dept. None of her sons, though, chose to fill those roles. The world needs another orthodontist and another orthodontic consultant! 

Nope. There does not appear to be any military service in Lori's family. That is not a big deal, actually; but if you're going to whine about women wearing the uniform, you need to get your men folk out there to fill the quotas. 

The Navy uses dentists. I know this because my son had to have a root canal and two fillings during boot camp and Navy dentists did the work.  I was a little suspicious because we made sure he had a thorough dental workup before leaving AND he had his wisdom teeth removed to avoid having it done during training. But he wrote to us that it was kind of nice to get a break from training and sometimes they let you watch a ballgame or the news while you wait. I think the Army and Air Force also use dentists, so there was opportunity in three of the four main branches for Steven to serve.  I'm sure some drill sergeant somewhere could have found a use for Ryan. Going without meals is a big thing during training. Maybe Ryan needed a taste of his own medicine with some food deprivation.  And Ken could have been a chaplain and bored the enemy to death with his sermons. 

38 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Nope. There does not appear to be any military service in Lori's family. That is not a big deal, actually; but if you're going to whine about women wearing the uniform, you need to get your men folk out there to fill the quotas. 

The Navy uses dentists. I know this because my son had to have a root canal and two fillings during boot camp and Navy dentists did the work.  I was a little suspicious because we made sure he had a thorough dental workup before leaving AND he had his wisdom teeth removed to avoid having it done during training. But he wrote to us that it was kind of nice to get a break from training and sometimes they let you watch a ballgame or the news while you wait. I think the Army and Air Force also use dentists, so there was opportunity in three of the four main branches for Steven to serve.  I'm sure some drill sergeant somewhere could have found a use for Ryan. Going without meals is a big thing during training. Maybe Ryan needed a taste of his own medicine with some food deprivation.  And Ken could have been a chaplain and bored the enemy to death with his sermons. 

You mean, forcefeed Ryan to show him he's not the boss? Like he did with Emma?

14 minutes ago, Hisey said:

You mean, forcefeed Ryan to show him he's not the boss? Like he did with Emma?

Exactly. Or let Ryan sit alone and do without a meal when he's really hungry - also like he did to Emma. 

In USMC boot camp, a recruit gets IT (individual training) if they get in trouble. They get pulled out of line and are told to hit the sand - a sand pit where they get to run in place, hold their weapon above their head - whatever the drill instructor comes up with. I think Ryan needs some IT after 16 hours of training while the rest of his unit gets a Veterans' Day steak dinnner. 

From today's post:

"The thing which the husband is specially to understand and take into account is that he is dealing with a thing less strong than himself. The whole of chivalry is in these words, and St. Peter (next after Christ) may be considered the founder of it…"

First, ugh, I'm not a thing and it would be difficult to garner any level of respect from my partner if this was the light in which I was viewed.

Second, this is googles definition of chivalry:

chivalry definition. The methods of training and standards of behavior for knights in the Middle Ages. The code of chivalry emphasized bravery, military skill, generosity in victory, piety, and courtesy to women. (Compare courtly love.)

Hmm. By that literal definition, and Lori takes things literally, Ken falls quite a bit short, doesn't he?

What a delicious BIG word salad Lori served up for us today.

Does she realize that the HEIGHT of chivalry and courtly love is considered to be encapsulated in Lancelot and Guinevere and that the whole thing was largely characterized by the great feats of courtship a man might go through to woo an unavailable woman?  Sure, in the STORIES she was usually a maiden trapped in a tower, but in real life she would have been a married woman trapped in her marriage.  The dragon was her husband.  

In a time when marriage and love were two COMPLETELY different things and people were often married before they reached emotional maturity, LOVE was often something you expected to find OUTSIDE your marriage.  Courtly love was largely adultery.   

Oh this is rich. The holy and inspired Webster's 1828 Dictionary defines chivalry thusly:

Knighthood; a military dignity, founded on the service of soldiers on horseback, called knights; a service formerly deemed more honorable than service in infantry.

That's the first, and most used, definition. All of them have to do with knights, however. I did not realize that knights were so prevalent in Saint Peter's day!

And precisely ZERO of Webster's 1828 definitions have to do with how a man treats a lady.

4 hours ago, SuperNova said:

Judging people based on their eating habits or food choices is just wrong on so many levels. I couldn't imagine using that as a measure of someone's value or goodness. But with that being said, I would really love to sit down and eat a meal with Lori. My mother and grandmother were sticklers about proper table etiquette. I even had to take classes for it. I would dearly love to sit across from Lori so I could scrutinize and judge every aspect of her eating habits the way she does to other people. I want to see where she places her hands, how she unfolds her napkin, where she places her fork between bites, how she eats an olive, what order she eats the food on her plate, then slap her on the wrist for every mistake!

Should have her over with a Southern US family. She'd bring her nasty slimy old salad and they'd all tell her to eat more, that's a side dish. "That's all you are eating? You aren't going to try my homemade mashed potatoes? No. You have to try this mac n cheese I made with 4 kinds of cheeses. What about the cobbler? You have to try the blackberry cobbler, it's an old family recipe. Honey, there's no way that salad will fill you up. That sliver of chicken/one anchovy in there ain't enough meat. No wonder you are so skinny, eatin' a plain ole salad for dinner. Honey, if you eat more you'd feel better and besides, you need some meat on them bones." She's be mentally mocking all the food and everyone's plates while everyone would be trying to shove more food at her saying she's too skinny and needs to eat. I could see Lori being one to turn up her nose at the food in disgust instead of politely declining causing offense to the hosts. 

2 hours ago, Hisey said:

The Navy uses dentists.

Snipped. They train a lot of doctors. I know someone that was a pilot, then he couldn't be a pilot (eyes, I think) so he signed up to go to medical school he has been a naval surgeon ever since. I think he has 30ish years in the Navy already. (He started at the naval academy.)

Lori would do well to eat- I honestly do think she'd feel better if she weren't constantly forcing herself to feel "hunger pains".  

It's cold and rainy here tonight, so we're having comfort food (breakfast).  I am making bacon, sausage, biscuits, tomato gravy, grits and hashbrowns. 

Tomorrow is crockpot day.  Salsbury steak over brown rice.  Green beans for our side.

Do we have a Thanksgiving thread?  After seeing how pitiful the Maxwell Thanksgiving menu is, I want to know what everyone is making!    

33 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Snipped. They train a lot of doctors. I know someone that was a pilot, then he couldn't be a pilot (eyes, I think) so he signed up to go to medical school he has been a naval surgeon ever since. I think he has 30ish years in the Navy already. (He started at the naval academy.)

And I am thankful for them. All medical/dental care for Marines comes from the Navy (officially; I'm sure there are acceptions).  The Marines have neither medical personnel nor chaplains. I teased my son that Marines believed they could chew off an injured limb and save their own souls. Kidding, of course; but he did learn how or sever a limb and start and IV in boot camp or combat training. It's been a while but he used the severing lib thing to "threaten" his little sister about dating while he was gone - "Male sure her boyfriends know...." 

I really appreciate your friend's decades of service. 

48 minutes ago, Koala said:

Lori would do well to eat- I honestly do think she'd feel better if she weren't constantly forcing herself to feel "hunger pains".  

It's cold and rainy here tonight, so we're having comfort food (breakfast).  I am making bacon, sausage, biscuits, tomato gravy, grits and hashbrowns. 

Tomorrow is crockpot day.  Salsbury steak over brown rice.  Green beans for our side.

Do we have a Thanksgiving thread?  After seeing how pitiful the Maxwell Thanksgiving menu is, I want to know what everyone is making!    

Can you send me your Salisbury steak recipe? Something I love but do not excel at making

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived