IGNORED

Maxwell 14: Editing Out Fun-Loving

Coconut Flan

All that judging the Maxwells do is so nasty. I’ve seen other religious people say that we shouldn’t judge others, as they are all on their own separate walk with God. (Of course these people often judge anyway, saying that they’re just concerned for these people). The Maxwells just make nasty automatic assumptions about people who watch TV or who dress immodestly or who eat three animal crackers. 

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

They probably think they’re doing good when they go out proselytising at the county fair. 

I wonder how they’d react if their area/nearby areas were affected by natural disasters. Would they go out and help? Probably not. Or the guys might do something whilst the girls make burritos and pie for everyone.

They might "bless" those poor folk with meager foodstuffs and reams of tracts.  And they'd make the people come get the offerings themselves.   No thanks, Maxwells.

13 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I stomped all the way to the corner. 

Maybe they just forgot. But still, they've posted their tortilla recipe multiple times, and the poppy seed loaf multiple times. 

*mutter mutter*

I think these are the only decent recipes they have. Remember the bean burrito filling? Someone made it and posted a review saying it was bland and nasty. Why post a new recipe and risk having people tell them its horrible. 

That’s true. Although in that instance the reviewer could have put it better eg “this recipe was a little bland for me, so I added xyz” which is what all good cooks do, adjust recipes to their requirements. And the Maxwells have disallowed comments on posts before. 

Plus cutting lettuce with a pizza cutter isn’t exactly a recipe :P 

Here's the ICD list of markers for "Dissocial Personality Disorder" which is the World Health Org version of the DSMs "Antisocial Personality Disorder", which from my understanding as someone who IS NOT A DOCTOR is what is referred to as "Sociopathy". You only need to have 3 markers.

1. Callous unconcern for the feelings of others

2. Gross and persistent attitude of irresponsibility and disregard for social norms, rules, and obligations;

3. Incapacity to maintain enduring relationships, though having no difficulty in establishing them;

4. Very low tolerance to frustration and a low threshold for discharge of aggression, including violence;

5. Incapacity to experience guilt or to profit from experience, particularly punishment;

6. Marked readiness to blame others or to offer plausible rationalizations for the behavior that has brought the person into conflict with society.

I think Steve rates at 5/6

Other than his family, he does not seem to care about people. Even then, it seems to be superfical and based out of obligation, and contigient on them following his demands.

He fits into 2 as well. Not only does he disregard norms, but he considers them to be abhorrent. 

3 is a big one, though I think he doesn't really establish even superficial relationships unless it's a means to meet an end.

As for 4, I do think he has a low threshold of tolerance, but I don't think he'd commit a form of violence like snapping and slapping his wife. I think he would be more calculating about what he would consider "redirection" or "physical correction"

I think he is driven by guilt, so 5 isn't really fitting for him.

He blames Satan or people who follow Satan (or who don't follow Steves advice) for all of lifes ills. Any issues he has have to do with people not being Godly enough. He shuns normal society, and any conflict he has stems from the fact that normal society is destined for hellfire. So for 6 I would say he fits, but only for the blaming part, because his rationalizations are totally irrational.

21 hours ago, Howl said:

It's not out of the realm of possibility that the older Maxwells are passingly familiar with Dickens.  They might like the parts dealing with calorie restriction. 

This had me crying laughing.  

So Anna suddenly came scurrying after us and introduced herself randomly and asked our names. We introduced ourself and Alecto was like, "What was your name again?" Anna asked immediately how many children we had, and we answered. The look of sympathy she shot poor childless-by-choice Alecto was classic.

I know Anna was still quite young when this happened - but if she were to give me that particular look and attitude, I might have to shoot back and say, "What about you?  I don't see you being married and having kids any time soon!  Perhaps it's YOU that should be pitied."

It will be a miracle if any of the girls get married.  Stevil will never willingly give up control of his precious daughters in spite of knowing how much they would love to be married and have children of their own.

As a Christian "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." seems quite relevant in how I treat people. I don't get why a Christian then would like to be judgy when they know that will only mean that god will judge them to a higher standard than if you try to keep from judging and just leave it to god.

7 hours ago, lilith said:

There's an idea for a "day in the life" that people may want to read, Sarah - I'd love to know what the hell your father does all day.

Now I'm sure he's not being frivolous and having what some might call fun, or binging on Pepsi whilst singing Row Row Row Your Boat, but his schedule must be jammed with busy work designed to make him feel holy and important.

Seconding that. It'll never happen though because that could make Sarah start to question. And that would be a Bad Thing. Well, for Steve.

6 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

“It’s up to John.”  How a woman dresses is up to her husband.

In the middle of the USA, in 2017 CE.

If I cringe any more, I’ll fall over backward. 

(Even though I get the feeling John couldn’t give a flyin’ fig....)

I know, I'm feeling the same way. Also 'modesty' is a cultural construct ffs. It's not some divinely inspired dress code.

2 hours ago, punkiepie said:

Funny story- there are some fundies who believe Bradford Pear trees are evil and of the devil because they are a fruit tree which produces no fruit. hahaha

You know every time I think I've reached the stupidest belief I hear about a new one. Even the trees are satanic (and presumably out to get them... somehow). How do they cope on planet earth?

2 hours ago, punkiepie said:

Once you are saved through faith, then the "fruits of the spirit" should appear and others should be able to tell of your rebirth in Christ because you are doing good for others, becoming a better person, etc.  If there are no "fruits," then this should make you question your salvation. 

Can you tell this to John Shrader too, please.  Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Bajovane said:

One stated he completely ignored her while he spoke with her husband - as if women are to be treated as second rate.

That was probably me.  I remember writing about it and I don't think many FJ spouses have been arm-wrestled into going to Maxwell conferences.  :laughing-jumpingpurple:

I was in front of Mr. P in the greeting line before the Inspire! conference.  Steve gave me a quick but comprehensive look up and down and then pointedly shook hands with my husband first.  IIRC, then he turned back to me and said to my husband, "And this is ... ?  I stuck out my hand and said "Mrs P" but I think he was waiting for my husband to introduce the Helpmeet.

It was quite funny because it showed that I will never be able to pass as a Fundie.   I was dressed well within Steve's standards of modesty (ankle length modestly cut dress) and have long hair that I left down instead of putting it up as usual.   

However, this feisty career woman probably blew her cover because she failed to walk two steps behind her Headship and actually introduced herself!

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

That’s true. Although in that instance the reviewer could have put it better eg “this recipe was a little bland for me, so I added xyz” which is what all good cooks do, adjust recipes to their requirements. And the Maxwells have disallowed comments on posts before. 

Plus cutting lettuce with a pizza cutter isn’t exactly a recipe :P 

I'm pretty sure that view was posted here not on the blog and she did give some suggestions for adding spices. I think the Maxwells just can't handle criticism.

How? How you read the same book year after year after smegging year and not, just once think: hang on, this bit contradicts the bit I read in Habakkuk*?  Or, is this bit fable, parable, just story or the bit that will save my eternal soul, how do I tell?  If I had to read the same book every day of my life for the rest of my damn life I would want it to be be better written and more coherent than the bible! 

* I pulled Habakkuk out of my arse. I have no clue what he had to say.

3 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

All that judging the Maxwells do is so nasty. I’ve seen other religious people say that we shouldn’t judge others, as they are all on their own separate walk with God. (Of course these people often judge anyway, saying that they’re just concerned for these people). The Maxwells just make nasty automatic assumptions about people who watch TV or who dress immodestly or who eat three animal crackers. 

I would be willing to bet they criticize the families of those who married into the Maxhell cult. Not openly, of course, but Steve and Teri must surely discuss them privately.  After all, the Maxwell standard of perfection must be unattainable by others. Steve, it's lonely at the top, isn't it?

1 hour ago, DooDahDame said:

I would be willing to bet they criticize the families of those who married into the Maxhell cult. Not openly, of course, but Steve and Teri must surely discuss them privately.  After all, the Maxwell standard of perfection must be unattainable by others. Steve, it's lonely at the top, isn't it?

Yeah, this wouldn't surprise me at all.

Melanie's family: pants wearing women who go to college and have dancing at their weddings. Nope, not godly enough.

NR Anna's family: only a few blessings and the son married a woman who chose a modern look for her wedding and totally immodest bridesmaid dresses (Anna had to make it more modest by buttoning up her cardigan).

Elissa's family: 4-H - enough said. 

Chelsy's family: Tons of fun, don't follow the Maxwell rules of controlling privacy. 

If we notice these things, they do too. 

1 hour ago, Myfanwy said:

If I had to read the same book every day of my life for the rest of my damn life I would want it to be be better written and more coherent than the bible! 

Well if you're reading it like a fundie, yeah, I guess. If you're reading it for what it actually is, it's an amazing collection of oral history, literature and philosophy. I have no idea how fundies supposedly read their Bibles over and over again and aren't bothered by all the R-rated stuff, and especially how they can read it so often and still tell themselves that it's the literal, inerrant word of God (a concept that's relatively recent, btw). And it's a terrible shame that they'll never be able to truly appreciate the nuance, subtleties, and beauties of the Bible because they treat it in its entirety as a rule book.

I just sent this comment:

“Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor,” Steve. From your mother and stepfather’s obituaries, it is obvious that they were devoted church members. Just because they weren’t your idea of the “right” kinds of Christians doesn’t mean that they weren’t Christians at all.

It will never see the light of day.

I was just reading Teri's latest post on their blog about how disciplined Stevehovah is about and this line stuck out to me:  

"Steve didn’t grow up in a Christian home or see this modeled, yet he’s embraced this in our home, and that impact is being seen on the next generation."

My eyes hurt from rolling them after reading that.  

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Can you tell this to John Shrader too, please.  Thanks in advance

John and Coward Steve have a lot in common.  Both hate Halloween.

7 minutes ago, Hane said:

I just sent this comment:

“Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor,” Steve. From your mother and stepfather’s obituaries, it is obvious that they were devoted church members. Just because they weren’t your idea of the “right” kinds of Christians doesn’t mean that they weren’t Christians at all.

It will never see the light of day.

I love you for that comment!

1 minute ago, FloraKitty35 said:

I was just reading Teri's latest post on their blog about how disciplined Stevehovah is about and this line stuck out to me:  

"Steve didn’t grow up in a Christian home or see this modeled, yet he’s embraced this in our home, and that impact is being seen on the next generation."

My eyes hurt from rolling them after reading that.  

Exactly. This IS truly inspirational to read. But, how many men who either grew up in non-Christian homes, broken homes(they HAVE mentioned that Steve grew up in a broken home) or the like, have been rejected as prospective sons-in-law? We'll never know for sure, but I hope if there was, that he would say, "if you could do it, so can I. And if you don't think so, it's your problem". May he find FJ!

I sometimes think that (apart some like minded fundies) that we are the Drunken Peasants to the Maxwell's being Brett Keane.  The next part of this is awkward, I am going to pay Stevehovah a compliment (of sorts).  He doesn't look like a manatee.  Hi, Steve!  

7 hours ago, Hane said:

Re “salvation through faith alone”: As a former Ebil Catholic and current Godless UU, I think this concept is nonsense—but didn’t Jesus command his followers to care for the poor and less fortunate? “Salvation” beliefs aside, what’s stopping the Maxhellions from doing so?

Fellow former Catholic here and I cringe so hard when I hear Protestants trying to argue with Catholics using those lines, because 1) Catholics don't talk among themselves about "salvation through works". They don't even really have the same concept of being "saved" as far as I ever understood. Come on, spend like 10 minutes trying to understand your audience before you expect to convert them. And 2) so you're saying you can be as lazy and selfish as you want as long as you're a member in good standing of your particular church? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying.

13 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

And 2) so you're saying you can be as lazy and selfish as you want as long as you're a member in good standing of your particular church? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying.

I'm pretty sure that for some people/fundies like the Maxwells and Shraders, that's true. But the theology as it has been explained to me is that if you are saved by salvation alone, then God and the Holy Spirit will inspire you to good works. While the good works aren't actually required for salvation, if they aren't happening then you should be questioning whether you are really saved.

7 minutes ago, Bethella said:

I'm pretty sure that for some people/fundies like the Maxwells and Shraders, that's true. But the theology as it has been explained to me is that if you are saved by salvation alone, then God and the Holy Spirit will inspire you to good works. While the good works aren't actually required for salvation, if they aren't happening then you should be questioning whether you are really saved.

I know that it's more complicated than my comment, I'm just saying that to people who aren't already versed in that culture, it can sound pretty off-putting and not at all like a selling point!

16 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I know that it's more complicated than my comment, I'm just saying that to people who aren't already versed in that culture, it can sound pretty off-putting and not at all like a selling point!

It is pretty off-putting for many people, but I think the way they describe it is a selling point to someone like Steve Maxwell or John Shrader who want to be lazy and selfish.

This convo about “salvation” reminds me of one of Holly Hunter’s lines in the movie about the cheerleader’s mom who tried to murder the mother of her daughter’s competitor to give her own child an emotional advantage: “We were brought up as Missionary [IIRC] Baptists; we’re lucky because we’re automatically saved.”

Because my parents had been raised in different faiths (Dad, against Mom’s wishes, chose to convert from American Baptist to Roman Catholic because “A gentleman always converts to his wife’s religion, and I want our whole family to go to church together”), we kids were brought up to be openminded about religion.

In the ‘50s, when I was little, Saturday morning TV seemed to be overrun with shows about “the cannibals of darkest Africa.” After a nightmare about a glamorous nightclub singer who turned out to be a cannibal, I asked my mom whether cannibals would go to heaven. “Yes,” she said—“because they don’t know any better.” Thus began my journey towards situational ethics.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived