IGNORED

Dillards 43: Tweeting for God

samurai_sarah

I can't see why the hell would anyone say  "yes, i need to bite that butter stick and make it even more fattenig! Yeah, cholesterol, make me yours!!!"

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Naga Viper said:

Man, if that's Derick's idea of a late-night snack, he'll be jockeying for position against Josh and David Rodrigues in the Unfortunate Fundie Physique race before long.

I swear those look like grill marks on that Twinkie. There's a sentence I never thought I'd type. But yes, just as Snickers34 said, deep-fried Twinkies are very much a thing at county/state fairs here. So is fried butter. 'MURICA!

deepfriedbutter.jpg

And for anyone who cares to look, here's an example of fried butter. The posted description is "Breaded, deep-fried, chocolate-covered butter stick with sweet lard drizzle." :pb_eek:

Reveal hidden contents

Breaded-Deep-Fried-Chocolate-Covered-But

I feel a bit sick. I had no idea such things existed. I mean people eat all sorts of crap, but that is… quite something. :pb_eek: 

Why would you eat a stick of butter??? 0_o
I mean, I've heard people compare eating a Magnum Ice cream to eating a stick of butter based on the caloric value of both, (it went something like: "you might as well eat a stick of butter because that's how unhealthy your ice cream is!"), but at least a Magnum doesn't taste like a stick of butter. A stick of butter, however, does/will taste like a stick of butter.
Why would one voluntarily eat a stick of butter, which becomes even more unhealthy by deep-frying it, when there are so much more-appetizing alternatives? I have no problem with deep-fryed foods*, but if I am going to treat myself with an unhealthy snack, I't better be damn tasty!  
I personally think that deep-frying candy bars is taking it a step too far, but to each their own; I don't have to eat it. Also, I can imagine that deep-fryed candy bars could still be quite tasty, as they are already tasty when they’re not deep-fryed. Butter, on the other hand, does not magically turn into something else just by deep frying it. Or does it? This is not a sarcastic question, I'm genuinly curious. Has anyone here ever tried deep-fryed butter, and if so, what was it like?

*I personally wouldn't eat it on a daily basis, but I don't think there's anything wrong with eating deep-fryed food once in a while.

2 hours ago, Marly said:

Butter, on the other hand, does not magically turn into something else just by deep frying it. Or does it? This is not a sarcastic question, I'm genuinly curious. Has anyone here ever tried deep-fryed butter, and if so, what was it like?

I am also very curious! Perhaps it becomes really gooey and unctuous and somehow creates an incredible flavour sensation together with the breading (and chocolate or whatever) on top...?

There must be someone on here who has eaten deep-fried butter and can share their experience :anyone:

@Marly I have indeed tasted deep fried butter in a second hand way, the group was curious, I was not, beau chose to kiss me immediately after. It was disgusting and he wound up with a tummy ache from running around eating everything fried he could, then acted very whiny.  All my fault for agreeing to go to something called the Redneck Games in the first place.

I'll stick to fried pickles and the occasional fried fig, which are delicious and presumably no worse for me than fries or onion rings.

7 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Damn D-wreck, you are a hot self-righteous mess. 

should I take a picture of my dirty dishwasher and send it to Derick because it's a pleasure to see all his hot mess of food...um no 

Some fried pickles are about all I can handle for fair food. Otherwise damn, we don't need to deep fry everything here!

Yeah, despite having brought it up, I have not actually tried fried butter for the exact reasons Marly laid out. It just seems so...no. But it is a thing that exists; I'd say it embodies the American obesity epidemic, but my guess is that a lot of us probably draw a line there.

I will cop to having had a fried Twinkie. Not the worst thing I've ever eaten, but it's still just a Twinkie, with all that entails, only with some outer crunch. As fair food indulgences go, you're better off with a good old-fashioned funnel cake.

Also this is the "bird feeding its baby" photo everyone was talking about on the previous page.

tumblr_oypj43bymt1r9t2zdo4_1280.jpg

Oh, yeah, funnel cake and fried pickles I can totally get behind. Or in front of, whatever.

Deep fried butter and that kiss-of-life pic, not so much. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Some fried pickles are about all I can handle for fair food. Otherwise damn, we don't need to deep fry everything here!

Deep fried pickles and jalapeno poppers.

I've had a deep fried Mars bar, and just found it incredibly sweet.  Oh, and deep fried ice cream.  Wouldn't necessarily try either again, but pickles and jalapenos, yep.

Now, I have been known to dip popcorn in softened butter so I do like good butter, but that damn deep fried butter looks disgusting!

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

deep fry mars bar - on my bucket list :D

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

Now, I have been known to dip popcorn in softened butter so I do like good butter, but that damn deep fried butter looks disgusting!

I love movie popcorn, I need a microwave. I love buttered popcorn 

50 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

Oh, and deep fried ice cream.  Wouldn't necessarily try either again, but pickles and jalapenos, yep.

I have tried an after 8 icecream and that was wonderful 

The corn dog and the deep fried twinkle look gross. I'm not the biggest fan of deep fried stuff in general, I work for KFC and will eat chicken on my break since its free and indulge on the odd deep fried haggis or potato fritter from the chip shop. I have never tried the deep fried Mars bar that some Glasgow chip shops have rumoured to sell though. 

The Duggar's eat the worst crap all the time, they never eat anything remotely healthy. I understand how the older girls when in charge of cooking chose to make food easy to prepare but Jim Bob and Michelle should have at least stepped in and insisted on adding more fruit and vegetables into recipes and having healthier options some nights too. 

I've never tried fried pickles, but they sound interesting. Is it sweet pickles or dill pickles?

3 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

never tried fried pickles, but they sound interesting. Is it sweet pickles or dill pickles?

Ok. Admittedly, deep fried pickles are crazy good, provided they're made well (homemade batter, etc). Kind of like fried cheese curds. Where I live they're both a popular bar food at hipstery restaurants. Again, provided they're not the cheap store bought kind, but actually made well. Not a diet food, of course.

I remember watching some TV event focused on fairs where people ate fried butter, but what I recall was it was on a stick and nearly everyone wound up with greasy butter and oil all over their shirts.  I'm curious about how butter would remain solid, as in the pic with the sweetened lard, after frying.  

For fair food, I love fried jalapenos and fried pickles, but I can't finish a serving of either, especially if I plan on walking around and/or doing anything after eating.  I do approve of tempura ice cream, but I've only found that at certain Japanese restaurants.

1 minute ago, amandaaries said:

I remember watching some TV event focused on fairs where people ate fried butter, but what I recall was it was on a stick and nearly everyone wound up with greasy butter and oil all over their shirts.  I'm curious about how butter would remain solid, as in the pic with the sweetened lard, after frying.  

[Snip]

Theoretically, you could freeze the butter first so it wouldn't melt as quickly but I just cannot imagine wanting to eat it  :pb_confused:

19 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

The Duggar's eat the worst crap all the time, they never eat anything remotely healthy. I understand how the older girls when in charge of cooking chose to make food easy to prepare but Jim Bob and Michelle should have at least stepped in and insisted on adding more fruit and vegetables into recipes and having healthier options some nights too. 

I thought JB and DQ (or DQ alone, probably) determined the menus and taught the girls to cook.  They were still pretty poor when their first special aired (despite JB blowing, what was it, six figures to run for office?), and it seemed like much of their diets were based off of cheap canned foods.  Even later, when they were doing better and were in the TTH, JB was shown eating canned tomatoes (I believe off a paper plate) because MEchelle thought he needed to lose to weight...he didn't eat a salad; he didn't have some fresh tomatoes; he didn't have anything remotely appealing...but he did have plain canned tomatoes.*

Maybe Jana's garden is the only way she can incorporate fresh foods into the family's diet, since the parental units still don't seem to value nutrition at all.  I think, once more, we have evidence of JB and MEchelle checking out to allow their children to raise each other. 

*At least they were out of the can, I guess...unlike what we've seen from other quality Duggar food moments.  

4 minutes ago, kbuttons said:

Theoretically, you could freeze the butter first so it wouldn't melt as quickly but I just cannot imagine wanting to eat it  :pb_confused:

I thought of that, but wouldn't you have to be extremely careful to keep any ice away from the butter? Would that be possible under fair conditions?  Would it work because a stick of butter is relatively small? Maybe I've watched too many fiery fried turkey videos: http://www.oregonlive.com/cooking/2014/11/12_all-time_deep-fried_turkey.html but frying anything frozen just sounds frightening to me now. 

I will admit to buying a box of corn dogs every few years and baking them, but I'm not so big on fried foods except deep fried breaded mushrooms, Elephant ears (Fry bread), sugar waffles (regional, also called rosettes), and really good fish and chips. There's an English pub in my city that changed my mind about fish (love their fish and chips), and I also love good fish or shrimp tacos (easy to do badly).

40 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I've never tried fried pickles, but they sound interesting. Is it sweet pickles or dill pickles?

Around here (PA Dutch country), anyway, they’re dill pickle chips (the slices), and they’re to die for. Usually served w/ some kind of ranch for dipping. And I’m pms-ing my brains out right now, so it’s taking all my self control not to go to Perkins and order a ginormous appetizer sampler consisting only of fried pickles and mozzarella sticks. 

Deeeeep breaths.....

23 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

I will admit to buying a box of corn dogs every few years and baking them

My easy-peasy corndog go-to:

Box-o-Jiffy Mix corn bread. Mix it up, pour it into your muffin pan, put a piece of hotdog in the muffin batter. Bake. Voila.

*disclaimer:  I only do this about every 4-5 years...

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived